Thread: The Eight Hundred (2020)

Banned

Default The Eight Hundred (2020)

Trailer:

--------

I watched this movie on Xmas Eve. I thought it was an okay movie. But was surprised by its plot
    click to show/hide spoilers
    (most ppl got killed, the end was not a brave duke-it-out fight but a retreat to the other side)

After thinking about it some more, movie actually made sense and is rather funny:

The side that was enjoying all the singing and dancing --- it's the Mainland China.

The side that was under Japanese attack and has to defend that building --- it's Taiwan.

The Japanese force that threatened to launch artillery shells to flatten everything --- it's the PLA.

The soldiers were welcome to defect to the other side in the end (Mainland welcoming all Taiwanese to defect).

T'was stupid to fight and get killed by the Japs (t'will be stupid to fight and die by the PLA).

I'm not learned in Chinese history, but ain't the flag they raised and got killed over for nothing at the roof of the building the Taiwanese flag?

Overall, movie was a message to mock Taiwanese secessionist forces. Coz life was shown to be much better on the other side of the river!

Banned

That scary Jap airplane that came and shot everyone up, but they couldn't do jack back to it, it's the J-20 stealthfighter taking part in the fight for Taiwan.

Banned

Every inch of Taiwan is covered by artillery shells from Mainland China. This is the analogy they used in the movie (Japanese = PLA, Japanese invasion defenders = Taiwanese army, river = ocean separating Taiwan from Mainland. All the singing dancing enjoying happened on the otherside the Mainland, fight btween Japanese and "Chinese" army = fight between PLA and Taiwan for reunification).

Banned

The PLA is represented by the Japanese in this movie, the side with superior military technology and firepower (compared to Taiwan). The defendants are the Taiwanese army. The battle ground is what happens when PLA goes to war over Taiwan.

I think you should go and rewatch it again. That was not the message that I got out of the movie. Don't overthink it. It is just a story about a group of outnumbered soldiers trying to hold their fort cos the British and French fled. It has nothing to do with the current political situation.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I watched this movie with my dad, and the suicidal part was what got me, they turned themselves into bombs and jumped from the building, I remember Chen Shusheng in this movie, rest in peace, my Brothers.

This war movie is one of the movie that made me cry! It was scary during during this era of war i just pray we wont experience this kind of war again.

Amazing movie I encourage everyone to watch even though it's in mandarin and Shanghai dialect. If you are a fan of war films this is a must watch!

Anyone knows the music title under the trailer? I'd appreciate the help!

You know, I thought Hacksaw Ridge is the only war movie that can make me cry, but this movie made me cry like a pussy. Seriously, I didn’t even expect that I’d cry, cause usually, I don’t. War is horrible. I was so confused about my reaction that I decided to watch Acapulco to cheer myself up a bit. Then I sat on the couch for about 3 hours thinking about war and its consequences. I came to the conclusion there are no winners in war. Everybody loses. What do you guys think of it? Btw, do you anything about the release date of Acapulco. I’ve read this https://tvcancelrenew.com/tv-status/...--release-date and still have no idea if AppleTV+ cancels it or not. Waiting for your replies.
    Last edited by WestonRusso; 01-08-23 at 01:27 AM.