Thread: Wuxia and horror

Default Wuxia and horror

What are some instances when wuxia writers incorporated some horror moments into their wuxia stories and did it well?

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Not strictly speaking a novel, but the Shaw Brothers film Human Skin Lantern did it really well.

What about this series by TVB. I remember watching it when i was a kid and the Werewolf scared me 😁

Tin Long Kip

https://youtu.be/N2psNGofIc4

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    What about this series by TVB. I remember watching it when i was a kid and the Werewolf scared me 😁

Tin Long Kip

https://youtu.be/N2psNGofIc4
    There was also the episode of LUK SIU FUNG III (THE BATTLE OF MO DONG) when Luk Siu Fung, Lau Ching Ching, Cousin, Housekeeper, and Hook spent a night at the haunted house once occupied by Yip Ling Fung and his wife, Shum 3 Leung. Yip, who had really strange fetishes, cut his wife into 93 pieces after her death, and each piece was placed in a crystal display case in each of the 93 rooms of their manor.

Check out Kung Fu and other assorted novels by Giddens Ko, his genre is literally urban horror wuxia.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

This is from Chapter 33 from The Deer and the Cauldron:

两人越斗越紧,拳风掌力逼得旁观众人都背靠墙壁。忽听得瘦头陀怪声大喝,一招“五丁开山”,左掌先发,右拳 随下,向着老叫化头顶击落。老叫化喝道:“来得好!”蹲下身子,使一招“天王托塔”,迎击而上。两股巨力相 撞,瘦头陀腾身而起,背脊冲上横梁,只听喀喇喇一阵响,屋顶上瓦片和泥尘乱落,大厅中灰沙飞扬,瘦头陀又已 扑击而下,老叫化缩身避开。瘦头陀一扑落空,砰的一声,重重落在地下。

老叫化哈哈大笑,笑声未绝,瘦头陀又已弹起,迅捷无伦的将一个大脑袋当胸撞来。眼见他这一撞势道甚是威猛, 老叫化侧身避过,右掌已落在他屁股上,内劲吐出,大喝一声。

瘦头陀的撞力本已十分厉害,再加上老叫化的内劲,两股力道并在一起,眼见瘦头陀急飞而出,脑袋撞向墙壁,势 非脑浆迸裂不可。

众人惊叫声中,胖头陀抓起一名缩在一旁的赌场伙计,掷了出去,及时挡在墙上,波的一声,瘦头陀的头颅撞入他 胸腹之间,一颗大脑袋钻入了那伙计的肚皮,嵌入墙壁,撞出了一个大洞。

他摇摇晃晃的站起身来,一颗肥脑袋上一塌胡涂,沾满了那伙计的血肉。他双手在脸上一阵乱抹,怒骂:“他妈的 ,这是甚么玩意?”众人无不骇然。

老叫化喝道:“还打不打?”瘦头陀道:“当年我身材高大之时,你打我不赢。”老叫化道:“现今呢?”瘦头陀 摇头道:“现今我打你不赢,罢了,罢了!”忽地跃起,向墙壁猛撞过去,轰隆一声响,墙上穿了个大洞,连着那 伙计的尸身一齐穿了出去。

The fight between Wu Liuqi and Skinny Dhutta and near the end of the fight, in order to save life of Skinny Dhuta, the Fat Dhuta thew a worker at the gambling den to block a storming head first of the Skinny Dhutta from smashing into the wall. The Skinny Dhutta punctures the stomach of that poor worker at the gambling den and wears the corpse around his neck.

That reminded me of those bad B films with a lot of blood, gore, horror and also dark humour.

DGSD Chapter 16 赵钱孙摇头道:“这种丑事虽然说来有愧,却也不必相瞒,我不是受了伤,乃是吓得晕了过去。我见那辽人抓住杜 二哥的两条腿,往两边一撕,将他身子撕成两爿,五脏六腑都流了出来。我突觉自己的心不跳了,眼前一黑,什么 都不知道了。不错,我是个胆小鬼,见到别人杀人,竟会吓得晕了过去。”

Xiao Yuanshan ripping a man from limp to limp.....that sounds gory. I am not sure if I want ti see that.

不料那少妇却全然不会武功,有人一剑便斩断她一条手臂,她怀抱着的婴儿便跌下地来,跟着另一人一刀砍去了她 半边脑袋。那辽人武功虽强,但被七八位高手刀剑齐施的缠住了,如何分得出手来相救妻儿?起初他连接数招,只 是夺去我们兄弟的兵刃,并不伤人,待见妻子一死,
    The wife of Xiao Yuanshan's arm was hacked off and then her head was half split open.

I think the TVB or other television adaptations ''whitewashed" the violence in the genre. Clean swords despte killing a man, or limited blood. Now with CGI, the blood is still very 'clean'
    Last edited by Athena; 01-16-21 at 05:09 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)