Thread: Can still build a NEW Windows XP PC in 2021!!

Banned

Default Can still build a NEW Windows XP PC in 2021!!

This may be a shocker to most ppl. But u can still build a brand new PC that runs Windows XP today!

As you may have known, Intel Ivy Bridge (22nm CPU) was the very first CPU to have 3D transistors but also the very last to support Windows XP.

Here u can find a brand new motherboard that supports Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs. It means this machine will be capable of running anything from Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, even Windows 10!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-for-Int...bFLpT&LH_BIN=1

You can even find brand new DDR3 RAM on ebay (I prefer Kingston brand)!

Can even find CPU coolers for this ancient motherboard at your local computer shop too! My favorite Ivy Bridge CPU coolers are made by DeepCool (Gammaxx brand) from China!

The only thing you can't find new is the CPU. But these pre-owned items are dirt cheap now! My fav. Ivy Bridge CPUs are anything that only needs TDP 35W to cool so you can have a sucky CPU cooler and the low TDP rating won't allow the CPU to heat up that much! I would recommend Intel g1620T or even Intel g2030T (the T stands for low thermal heat dissipation).

As for drivers, I would bet that if you get any Ivy Bridge motherboard drivers from known manufacturers like MSI/Asus, etc. they would still work coz they basically all use the same chipset, etc.

Anyone interested in keeping the history of computing alive, u can try to build a very cheap Windows XP PC today!

Banned

I'm basically thru with Intel/Microsoft. U will never see me using anything past Ivy Bridge/Windows 8.1.

A Windows XP-capable PC (of course it will be running other things too like Win7/8.1) can serve as a very effective tech stop gap until better things come along like this, but with indigenous CPUs instead of the usual Intel crap:

https://www.huaweicentral.com/huawei...rom-this-year/

Huawei to start selling desktop computers, monitors and smart glasses in Russia from this year

A Huawei desktop PC powered by a Kirin processor a few years down the road? Yes, plz!!

Banned

Found some more LGA 1155 motherboards at BangGood.

Banned

Generic eBay CPU coolers from China rock! (The ones with the blue Intel label that sell for ~$7 shipped). I've been using one in my first PC build for 3 years now. CPU temp. never went over 50 degrees Celsius under stress (provided this is a CPU with 35W TDP rating only).

If you are running Windows XP, how do you handle possible security issues?I found this article.https://windowsreport.com/keep-using-windows-xp/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Generic eBay CPU coolers from China rock! (The ones with the blue Intel label that sell for ~$7 shipped). I've been using one in my first PC build for 3 years now. CPU temp. never went over 50 degrees Celsius under stress (provided this is a CPU with 35W TDP rating only).
    I used these generic CPU coolers from China in 2 PC's now. Actually a little correction, when CPU at 100% all the time for 30 mins (stress test), temp never reached above 58 degrees Celsius. This is pretty impressive for a cheap cooler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by texture View Post
    If you are running Windows XP, how do you handle possible security issues?I found this article.https://windowsreport.com/keep-using-windows-xp/
    Mostly ppl wrongly assume that just coz someone using Windows XP, it's all they got on their machine... I usually at minimum dual boot my XP machines with Windows 7.

Anyways, back to the topic, I had been using Windows XP connected to the internet ever since MS discontinued extended support many years ago and have never encountered a security issue. Security issue concerning Windows XP is fear mongering to convince u to switch to Windows 10 coz it's in every1's best interest to get u to use an OS that generates money for them (by sniffing out your private info and selling them to marketers).

When you consider that most hackers have refrained from specifically targeting XP instead locking onto Windows 10 users, and that most malware targeting Windows 10 generally don't work in XP anymore coz XP missing all the new stuff that Windows 10 has, XP seems to me like the safer option!

Banned

BTW, anyone come to this thread to specifically bash Windows XP and promote Windows 10... Bah hahahahahaha!!! Guess u never been to the other side of the pond. There is Deepin Linux, which is already superior to Windows 10. And there is Harmony OS coming up by Huawei which will be even 10X greater than smelly Windoze. So plz, take your garbage somewhere else. Eastern OSes are here to dominate. They will be way better than Microsoft crap...

Banned

So, I actually built one of these desktop PCs using the mobo in the first post. I got everything working using drivers from MSI mobo H61M-P31W8. I thought sound drivers would b the difficult one bcoz they vary by manufacturer. But nope, Realtek sound drivers from MSI website works with this mobo too!