Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Where is 9 Yeung and 9 Yum after Cheung Mo Gei? Why is no one else ever learn it?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,818

    Default Where is 9 Yeung and 9 Yum after Cheung Mo Gei? Why is no one else ever learn it?

    Where is 9 Yeung and 9 Yum after Cheung Mo Gei? Why is no one else ever learn it? The Mo Dong and Ngo Mei sects after Cheung Mo Gei era became weak.

  2. #2
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Where is 9 Yeung and 9 Yum after Cheung Mo Gei? Why is no one else ever learn it? The Mo Dong and Ngo Mei sects after Cheung Mo Gei era became weak.
    I never liked the plot device (to prevent later Wudang to have the full 9Yang) where Wuji never shared the full 9 Yang with Z3F or his uncles.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Didn't ngor mei have the full 9 yin and zzr never completed it nor did she pass it down?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I never liked the plot device (to prevent later Wudang to have the full 9Yang) where Wuji never shared the full 9 Yang with Z3F or his uncles.
    Wasn't WJ's to share. Remember 9 Yang was a Shaolin art and it would have been an unforgivable breach of Martial honor for him to share it with anyone without express permission from the monastery.

  5. #5
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Wasn't WJ's to share. Remember 9 Yang was a Shaolin art and it would have been an unforgivable breach of Martial honor for him to share it with anyone without express permission from the monastery.
    While the first known manuscript was indeed found in a Buddhist scripture at the Shaolin library, I'm not sure if Shaolin had a more legitimate claim to the manual than anyone else. After all, it was never explicitly said that the monk friend of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung who authored the manual was a Shaolin monk. Unless it is proven that the inventor was a Shaolin monk, I demure at referring to the 9 Yeung Jen Ging as a Shaolin martial art.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    While the first known manuscript was indeed found in a Buddhist scripture at the Shaolin library, I'm not sure if Shaolin had a more legitimate claim to the manual than anyone else. After all, it was never explicitly said that the monk friend of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung who authored the manual was a Shaolin monk. Unless it is proven that the inventor was a Shaolin monk, I demure at referring to the 9 Yeung Jen Ging as a Shaolin martial art.
    Always been a pet theory of mine that the mysterious monk was a Shaolin agent sent to monitor the duel to make sure no one unscrupulous gained possession of 9 Yin. It seems too coincidental that a passing Buddhist monk with comparable power and knowledge to WCY would just happen to be passing by at the time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    While the first known manuscript was indeed found in a Buddhist scripture at the Shaolin library, I'm not sure if Shaolin had a more legitimate claim to the manual than anyone else. After all, it was never explicitly said that the monk friend of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung who authored the manual was a Shaolin monk. Unless it is proven that the inventor was a Shaolin monk, I demure at referring to the 9 Yeung Jen Ging as a Shaolin martial art.
    Although Shaolin often griped (rather half-heartedly IMO) about Z3F 'stealing' Shaoln martial arts, they appeared to be referring to the Lohan fist arts that Z3F taught himself from the dolls that Guo Xiang gave him, rather than 9 Yang. Everyone was shocked by the extent of Jueyuan's inner power, but no-one ever accused him of stealing martial arts (despite also being self-taught). Wudang and Emei freely developed and taught their own versions of 9 yang (and according to Yu Lianzhou, Wudang martial arts were actually founded on top of 9 yang theories), and Shaolin never seemed to complain about it.

    I get the impression that Shaolin never actually knew about the 9 yang manual, and that Jueyuan was the first to discover it. In the first edition of HSDS, the Shaolin version of 9 yang was an art that was looked down because it came from a 'traitor', which few deigned to learn despite its power - i.e. they probably thought that Jueyuan somehow invented it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I think ZWJ would easily share 9Yang if his uncles asked him nicely, considering how he reveres them. However, learning 9 Yang wouldn't benefit them much. They have all the knowledge they could ever learn from ZSF and they would be lucky to master half of it in their whole lifetime. Besides, even though Wudang's neigong is based on 9Yang, it has already become its own art, like how Java is based on C++ but has become an entire language in itself. Wudang people don't need to learn 9 Yang and Taiji would be more beneficial to them anyway.

    In the end, ZWJ may just pass it down to his own offsprings but because they live aa recluses like YG's descendants, the skills end with them. Or rather, with his disposition, ZWJ would more likely pass down his medical skills than his martial arts.

  9. #9
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    I think ZWJ would easily share 9Yang if his uncles asked him nicely, considering how he reveres them. However, learning 9 Yang wouldn't benefit them much. They have all the knowledge they could ever learn from ZSF and they would be lucky to master half of it in their whole lifetime. Besides, even though Wudang's neigong is based on 9Yang, it has already become its own art, like how Java is based on C++ but has become an entire language in itself. Wudang people don't need to learn 9 Yang and Taiji would be more beneficial to them anyway.

    In the end, ZWJ may just pass it down to his own offsprings but because they live aa recluses like YG's descendants, the skills end with them. Or rather, with his disposition, ZWJ would more likely pass down his medical skills than his martial arts.
    The fact that 9 Yang could still do something which Wudang's neigong couldn't (cure XM palm) seems to indicate it was superior.

    I frankly cant imagine it is JY's intention that if ZWJ was not injured, and he had spent 5 years studying under Z3F and got a 'bag boost', he would be anywhere near as strong.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    The fact that 9 Yang could still do something which Wudang's neigong couldn't (cure XM palm) seems to indicate it was superior.

    I frankly cant imagine it is JY's intention that if ZWJ was not injured, and he had spent 5 years studying under Z3F and got a 'bag boost', he would be anywhere near as strong.
    It was more of a balance thing. XM palm is extreme yin which could only be countered by extreme yang, ie 9 Yang. Wudang's Pure Yang skill strives to balance yin & yang, so would be in appropriate to directly counter XM palm. It would be like trying to melt a block of ice in a freezer with a hairdryer set on medium.

    9 Yang gave ZWJ a lot of power after five years of study, however if he had spent those five years under the tutelage of Z3F he would have been a much better all round fighter, balancing power with skill.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    The fact that 9 Yang could still do something which Wudang's neigong couldn't (cure XM palm) seems to indicate it was superior.

    I frankly cant imagine it is JY's intention that if ZWJ was not injured, and he had spent 5 years studying under Z3F and got a 'bag boost', he would be anywhere near as strong.
    That's true but Taiji could also do something that 9Yang couldn't, which is to use little force to disperse powerful attacks. During the first battle with the 3 monks, ZWJ felt for the first time that his 9Yang couldn't be unleashed. Without Taiji to stall the fight for a while, he would have gotten killed. Besides, while 9Yang is strong, when you meet someone who's also equally strong, you need something softer to counter-attack.

    I agree with the second part. 9Yang got ZWJ to Great-hood much faster. If he had trained exclusively under ZSF, he would have probably gotten to Great level but it would have taken him a longer time and his skillsets would have been entirely different. Not neccesarily worse, just different.

    You can say that 9yang is superior than Taiji or any other Wudang arts and I would not disagree. To a newbie like a 15yo ZWJ, 9Yang is probably more beneficial. But to his uncles who have trained their entire life in Wudang arts, continuing to level up with Taiji makes more sense than try something different like 9Yang.

  12. #12
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post

    You can say that 9yang is superior than Taiji or any other Wudang arts and I would not disagree. To a newbie like a 15yo ZWJ, 9Yang is probably more beneficial. But to his uncles who have trained their entire life in Wudang arts, continuing to level up with Taiji makes more sense than try something different like 9Yang.
    I am not sure about that. I mean, 9 Yang was at least in the league of 9 Yin and even legendary experts like WCY, H7G and Yideng benefited from a manual like 9 Yin. The 9 Yang should boost the Wudang 7-1 as well.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-26-14, 05:05 PM
  2. Did Cheung Mo Gei ever master Mo Dong Sect martial arts?
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-02-10, 05:48 AM
  3. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-12-06, 09:23 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-13-06, 10:43 AM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-07-05, 11:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •