Thread: What year was the Legend of the Condor heroes’ event took place?

Default What year was the Legend of the Condor heroes’ event took place?

What year was the Legend of the Condor heroes’ event took place?
    It sounds like an easy question, yet it is hard to answer and confusing .
    was it 1200? Or 1205? or ....??

The timeline on LOCH was really messy and not fit with the real background history.

Let’s compile all clues relating to the year when Yang Tiexin and Guo Xiaotian drank together in Wine Shop.

*Major Clue (edition 2 and 1)

Clue #1 - Chapter 1:

Now Emperor Qin Yuan has succeeded Guang Zong. He has been on the throne for 5 years now, mostly going along with what the Chancellor Han Tuozhou says. What is the future going to be like? He…he, it’s hard to say, hard to say!” During the last few words, he did not stop shaking his head.

QingYuan 慶元 ‘s reign was 1195–1201 , so the fifth year was 1199 .

Clue #2 - Chapter 1 + chapter 40
    QingYuan was the era of Emperor Ningzong of Song, he reigned from 1194 to 1224,

On chapter 40;
    Guo Jing was delighted, “That was a wonderful story; but what does it have to do with my body?” he asked.

Huang Rong laughed, “Didn’t he use twelve oxen? Your zodiac is the ox, isn’t it?”

Guo Jing threw his hands in desperation, “Good! You used a story to indirectly curse me.” He stretched his fingers to tickle Huang Rong. Huang Rong laughed and ran away.
    ------
    Guo Jing’s zodiac is Ox (happy CNY btw), between 1194 to 1224, the year of OX are 1205 and 1217. Between these two, i think 1205 is a more accurate and higher chance than 1217.
    ---------
    *Minor Clue (i called it minor as JY seems didnt use a real timeline of historical background, but i dont know what is your opinion)

Clue #3 - Jamukha’s death was 1206 according to english wikipedia (Chinese wikipedia said 1204). So u can count yourself.

Clue #4 - Han Tuozhou’s reign as chancellor = year 1194-1207 . (Fox in his translation said Han Tuozhou’s ascension as head chancellor in 1206)

Clue #5 - Temujin died in 1227, Guo Jing was around 20 years old at the end of LOCH, so 1227 - 20 = year 1207

Another source:
    In the past , wikipedia said 1204 , which i dont know how the contributor concludes that number.

--------
    Then…. In edition 3,
    Jin Yong removed the sentence “Five Years” (see Clue #1) , but keeps the name Emperor QingYuan mentioned .

The passage about Guo Jing’s zodiac also has been removed completely.

So in edition 3, what JY did was not to revise the plothole, but instead made the “Exact Year” even more blurry , because QingYuan‘s reign was 1195–1201, and no more clue to narrow down it.

Another source: in the official english translation book by Anna Holmwood (which use 3rd edition) , she said the story started in year 1200 AD. i dont know how she got that number.

Then there are also some people that use ROCH to count the timeline of LOCH.

-------------
    So when and what year exactly the LOCH event started taking place?

If you compare the events of LOCH and ROCH to historical events, you find that the dates cannot possibly line up. Jin Yong fudged it a bit to tell his story. See the comprehensive CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY timeline pinned at the top of this forum. It works internally for the story, but it doesn't always square well with historical dates.