Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word of Honor Aka Faraway Wanderers by Priest

Default Word of Honor Aka Faraway Wanderers by Priest

Zhou Zi Shu gets embroiled in a conspiracy in the martial arts world after quitting his job as the leader of an organization tasked with protecting royalty. He meets Wen Ke Xing, a mysterious martial artist who escapes from the Ghost Valley to avenge his parents’ deaths. They become fast friends and embark on an adventure to find a legendary treasure that will give its owner ultimate power over jianghu.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.mydramalist.com/XNzzZ_3f.jpg')

Banned

Another weird drama about male-male love...

BUT, before reading further, just know there is a difference between a Soulmate (usually male-female pair) and a Twinflame (usually same sex). At least China got it right in this respect by differentiating.

I only watched The Untamed coz I liked the anime and saw that first. Will this show really turn out to be a gaylord fest later on?

with a total number of 5 works adapted to TV drama, this year is really the year of Priest
    Best Wuxia author of all time : master Jin Yong

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Another weird drama about male-male love...

BUT, before reading further, just know there is a difference between a Soulmate (usually male-female pair) and a Twinflame (usually same sex). At least China got it right in this respect by differentiating.

I only watched The Untamed coz I liked the anime and saw that first. Will this show really turn out to be a gaylord fest later on?
    Homophobic much??

Banned

Watched Ep2. The art direction is pretty good. Especially when MC after got down from boat, jumped onto the gate and flew among tree tops. It' what a Jin Yong wuxia should have been. Too bad there's too much hint of homosexuality, ruining an otherwise very good drama.

Fight scenes are pretty good

WHO CARES about homo???

Don't give the Americans anymore bad impression of us Chinese, FFS.

ALL I care about are the fights and story!!

Fights, story, AND also Acting!

No place for any prejudice

But I have to say acting on this series really hasn't wowed me though

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    Fight scenes are pretty good
    Don't you wish any Jin Yong TV series was like this? If fighting in this series is a 9/10, I have never seen a Jin Yong adaptation that exceeded a 6 in fighting... Don't get me started on LoCH. My dad watched HSDS 2020 all episodes but gave up LoCH 2019 after only a few episodes coz he said the fighting/action choreography in LoCH was like a cartoon.

Banned

Lol I keep on telling ppl, we're living in the age of Jin Yong derivative works. There is no more originality. Ppl got tired of Jin Yong adaptations, that's y they're all getting low budgeted, especially the new RoCH look like a low budget adaptation. So now the only way to make money by creating derivative works. Tencent going all Disney style taking all old Japanese anime and TV series adding some touches and modifications and then calling them their own work.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Seems drama on Ep 11 going for the Xiao Ao Jiang Hu theme. MC is this bum who got "kicked out" of his guild. Second male lead is this evil DFBB wanna-b. Hope they won't pull a XAJH ending on this series where second male lead sacrifices his life to save MC out of homo-feelings for him... Coz then that would make this drama very boring and a wast of my time. If you gonna rip off Jin Yong's work, at least try to have an original ending!

Homo is not the problem and not what bothers me.

The show is not delivering on a thrilling story, and fighting very much is the biggest problem

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    Homo is not the problem and not what bothers me.

The show is not delivering on a thrilling story, and fighting very much is the biggest problem
    I love fighting though, Chinese fighting scenes are one of the best out there that I can watch on.

Banned

Gay gay gay. Ep 19-20 man-man holding hands, hugging etc. It's a little too excessive. The Untamed neva had any of these. IMO China should crack down on this drama genre. Just coz Untamed was successful don't mean producers given free reign to actually make a gay show! Love of money is the root of all evil. Producers r flocking to BL coz of Untamed success. Wished they'd look into the mirror to find out monetary greed is their cause to chase after this genre.

upcoming BL-adapted drama

Immortality
    Winner is King
    Flying Phoenix
    the society of four leaves
    chasing the light
    Heaven Official's Blessing
    sha po lang
    The Case of Mr. Zhang
    Best Wuxia author of all time : master Jin Yong

Banned

^Nice. Officially dropped Word of Honor at ep20 d/t excessive homo stuff.

Gay gay gay. Ep 19-20 man-man holding hands, hugging etc. It's a little too excessive. The Untamed neva had any of these. IMO China should crack down on this drama genre. Just coz Untamed was successful don't mean producers given free reign to actually make a gay show! Love of money is the root of all evil. Producers r flocking to BL coz of Untamed success. Wished they'd look into the mirror to find out monetary greed is their cause to chase after this genre.
    Why can't men hold hands and hug?
    I disagree that China should crack down on these show. Instead, China Broadcasting Dept should refrain from meddling so much in drama productions. This cannot that cannot. They are just stifling creativity.

Yes, money is the main drive of making this genre. Which company want to produce dramas that don't make money? But, I don't see what's wrong with these dramas. Why can't dramas depict gay and lesbian relationship? There are real gay and lesbian in this world. Why must they be hidden? Why is it wrong to make actual gay show?
    If you don't like these dramas, just don't watch it. No need to forbid other people to watch it by hoping for a crackdown.

Love of money is not the root of all evil. Loving money but gaining it through the legal and right way is not evil. And no, making gay dramas is not an evil act.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Banned

^ Male leads held hand like they were gonna bow down b4 elder n get married b4 him. Also hugging was... Too long. I'm OK w hugging like u see some Mid East figures/politicians hugging even kissing when they meet. But that's more a greetings formality. Word of Honor just does it too extreme.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

^ Male leads held hand like they were gonna bow down b4 elder n get married b4 him. Also hugging was... Too long. I'm OK w hugging like u see some Mid East figures/politicians hugging even kissing when they meet. But that's more a greetings formality. Word of Honor just does it too extreme.
    You do realise that you sound incredibly homophobic, don't you? Homophobia: ​a strong prejudice (= unreasonable dislike) against gay people or the LGBTQ community.

I have only watched two episodes of this series and I cannot comment on much on the plot and characters. However, why can't the LGBTQ community in China receive some representation on mainstream media? If it is not your genre, then don't watch the genre. You should not cheer for the government to crack down on this completely; in a way you are denying the existence and the rights of the LGBTQ community.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Banned

I just watched The Ying Yang Master (2021) movie. It has the same theme as this show. MC is a folding fan weapon wielding lord of demons who takes a young girl to be his servant (like Ah Xiang in Word of Honor). Costarring is the actor who played the MC in The Wandering Earth. Movie isnt very highly rated on Douban but its mindless action fun with lots of v good to excellent CGI. Supposedly also based on Omyoji video game by Netease so theres lots of wuxia mixed with xanxia. Highly recommended!

Banned

I just watched The Ying Yang Master (2021) movie. It has the same theme as this show. MC is a folding fan weapon wielding lord of demons who takes a young girl to be his servant (like Ah Xiang in Word of Honor). Costarring is the actor who played the MC in The Wandering Earth. Movie isnt very highly rated on Douban but its mindless action fun with lots of v good to excellent CGI. Supposedly also based on Omyoji video game by Netease so theres lots of wuxia mixed with xanxia. Highly recommended!

BTW, its not very apparent from the trailer. But when MC appeared the first time my first thought was holy cow another Wen Ke Xing. My hunch was confirmed when his young girl servant appeared soon afterwards. His best fights he used a folding fan to fend off attacks. Its too bad they don't show none of this in the trailer. Heck the second male lead (actor from Wandering Earth) had like 40% of the screen time in the movie, but his face don't even appear for 1 sec in the trailer. V odd n misleading trailer this movie...