Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CHOR LAU HEUNG '84 (Michael Miu)

Originally Posted by Athena
    With this, I have written 2000 posts on this forum. Time well spent

Congratulations on the milestone Athena!
    Your 2000 posts are equivalent to 4000 posts or more from me

Finished my viewing of the series last night. Pretty solid and I actually enjoyed it more than I did the 1979 version with Adam Cheng. While CHOR LAU HEUNG '84 didn't do anything spectacularly great, it was solid on nearly all fronts with very few important weaknesses. Perhaps the highlight of the series was Simon Yam's performance as the diabolically unhinged Yeun Chui Wan/Bat-Prince. Now *there* was one dangerous mofo!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Finished my viewing of the series last night. Pretty solid and I actually enjoyed it more than I did the 1979 version with Adam Cheng. While CHOR LAU HEUNG '84 didn't do anything spectacularly great, it was solid on nearly all fronts with very few important weaknesses. Perhaps the highlight of the series was Simon Yam's performance as the diabolically unhinged Yeun Chui Wan/Bat-Prince. Now *there* was one dangerous mofo!
    I never watched 1979 version, so have nothing to compare against, but when i watched 1984 version i did enjoy it and felt all the actors/actress did a good job and i enjoyed watching that Central plains character the most.

I loved the mesmerizing songs of the 1979 version with Adam Cheng.
    While CHOR LAU HEUNG '84, I loved Michael Miu as the handsome character and it reminds me of 1990s.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Agreed, this is one of the few series where the villain is an absolute match for the hero. Yeun Chui Wan was also a fleshed out character not a cartoonist bad guy, he had his emotional ups and downs as well as success and failures. Can't help but think that under different circumstances he would have made a great protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Agreed, this is one of the few series where the villain is an absolute match for the hero. Yeun Chui Wan was also a fleshed out character not a cartoonist bad guy, he had his emotional ups and downs as well as success and failures. Can't help but think that under different circumstances he would have made a great protagonist.
    One thing that was really great about Yeun Chui Wan/the Bat Prince was even though he was absolutely diabolical and despicable, you also kind of feel sorry for him too because his adoptive mother Priestess Goo Mei utterly screwed him over. His motives were understandable and relatable...kind of like Yeung Hong in LOCH '82, except that Yeun Chui Wan was far more competent and dangerous than Yeung Hong due to his brilliant, calculating mind, his formidable organization, and his excellent martial arts skills that were on par with Chor Lau Heung's. Simon Yam is a master actor who can play all kinds of characters convincingly, and he really showed off his talent for playing psychopathic villains.

The conclusion of the series was also highly satisfying, though a bit cheesy (such was the era). A purely upbeat, happy ending with Chor Lau Heung now happily enjoying the company of FIVE beautiful ladies (he started with three). You feel the guy deserves it, though: he's an honest-to-goodness true hero with a good heart and likable personality who is self-confident without ever being arrogant or conceited. Miu's Chor Lau Heung is one of those dudes you just pat on the shoulder and say, "Nicely done, Bro."

The conclusion of the series was also highly satisfying, though a bit cheesy (such was the era). A purely upbeat, happy ending with Chor Lau Heung now happily enjoying the company of FIVE beautiful ladies (he started with three). You feel the guy deserves it, though: he's an honest-to-goodness true hero with a good heart and likable personality who is self-confident without ever being arrogant or conceited. Miu's Chor Lau Heung is one of those dudes you just pat on the shoulder and say, "Nicely done, Bro."
    I was impressed with Michael Miu's acting in the scene where CLH was scared like a chicken. He can act scared very well

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    I was impressed with Michael Miu's acting in the scene where CLH was scared like a chicken. He can act scared very well
    Refresh my memory: I don't recall that scene.

Refresh my memory: I don't recall that scene.
    When he was injured and was trying to escape from the dodgy government, so they sent some CLH in disguise around. Some of the guards spotted him and pulled him side and he greeted them with fear & respect and they bullied him.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

I think that generation of TVB actors were just that good.

When he was injured and was trying to escape from the dodgy government, so they sent some CLH in disguise around. Some of the guards spotted him and pulled him side and he greeted them with fear & respect and they bullied him.
    Ah, yes...that's right. The fake "Chor Lau Heungs." That WAS indeed masterful because Miu had to play a fake playing Chor Lau Heung...a character within a character.