Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Chor Lau Heung vs Huang Yaoshi

  1. #21
    Senior Member Athena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In 1979, TVB did the unthinkable and briefly merged the Jin Yong and Gu Long universes. No Flowers Monk himself stated that the Divine Finger Snap was invented by "Wong Yerk See of the East Island." Well, he didn't call it Peach Blossom Island, but it was nevertheless an epic moment when, very briefly, the Jin Yong and Gu Long universes shared a timeline.
    Gosh, they took a lot artistic and creative liberties with that adaptation. So, they both knew this art because in the novel Wuhua used it against Chu Liuxiang? Or was that Wuhua who managed to name the origin of Chu Liuxiang’s supposed knowledge of this technique?
    Last edited by Athena; 06-15-21 at 04:54 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

    Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

  2. #22
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Gosh, they took a lot artistic and creative liberties with that adaptation. So, they both knew this art because in the novel, Wuhua used it against Chu Liuxiang? Or was that Wuhua managed to name the origin of Chu Liuxiang’s supposed knowledge of this technique?
    The latter. In the 1979 TVB series, Divine Finger Snap was Chor Lau Heung's most famous skill, but he didn't invent it. He learned it from his teacher (the Night Emperor), and Chor Lau Heung's older martial brother Ding Teet Gon was said to be even better at the skill than Chor Lau Heung was. No Flowers Monk explained that Divine Finger Snap had existed for many generations and originated from "Wong Yerk See of East Island." Given that the CHOR LAU HEUNG saga unfolded during the Ming Dynasty, this almost works.

  3. #23
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,577

    Default

    The Ancient Tomb Sect also existed in CHOR LAU HEUNG 1979. No mention of Lam Chiu Ying, Lee Mok Sau, Little Dragon Girl, or Yeung Gor...but it looked and quacked like a duck, if you know what I mean. Still, the location was different. This Ancient Tomb, which resembled the classic one in most ways, was located not near Mt. Chung Nam, but I think Mt. Huang. Other than that geographic detail, however, they were very similar (though oddly, this version had a male Taoist patriarch). Definitely of similar phenotype if not genotype.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The latter. In the 1979 TVB series, Divine Finger Snap was Chor Lau Heung's most famous skill, but he didn't invent it. He learned it from his teacher (the Night Emperor), and Chor Lau Heung's older martial brother Ding Teet Gon was said to be even better at the skill than Chor Lau Heung was. No Flowers Monk explained that Divine Finger Snap had existed for many generations and originated from "Wong Yerk See of East Island." Given that the CHOR LAU HEUNG saga unfolded during the Ming Dynasty, this almost works.
    Is there a connection regarding the original of the finger snap to Huang Yaoshi in the Chor Laughing Heung novel?

  5. #25
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    Is there a connection regarding the original of the finger snap to Huang Yaoshi in the Chor Laughing Heung novel?
    No, because the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY was a Jin Yong work, and CHOR LAU HEUNG was a Gu Long work. The two authors never collaborated or crossed their universes over. That didn't stop TVB from having fun playing crossover, however.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    No, because the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY was a Jin Yong work, and CHOR LAU HEUNG was a Gu Long work. The two authors never collaborated or crossed their universes over. That didn't stop TVB from having fun playing crossover, however.
    You need to watch this 😂

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lege...e_Liquid_Sword

    Aaron Kwok as Chor Lau-heung
    Norman Chui as Tuk-ku Kau-pai

    Also Tuk-ku Kau-pai is mentioned in The New Adventures of Chor Lau-heung 1984.

Similar Threads

  1. Ponderings on Chor Lau Heung
    By Suet Seung in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-15, 10:20 PM
  2. adam chen Chor Lau Heung
    By vontang in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-26-06, 09:58 PM
  3. Who did Chor Lau Heung love best?
    By bunnie in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-05, 03:30 AM
  4. Who played Chor Lau Heung/Chu Liu Xiang the best?
    By Divine Condor in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-06-04, 07:02 PM
  5. Chor Lau Heung v. Yang Guo
    By Thai guy in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-04, 02:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •