Thread: Highest MC Body Count - Shi Potian?!

Default Highest MC Body Count - Shi Potian?!

I'm actually slowly working through a re-translation of Xia Ke Xing, which was done by multiple translators and in parts by machine translation, and as part of this I've been rereading the novel. That's when I noticed something interesting - Shi Potian has a massive body count!

In Jinyong stories, it's quite rare for an MC to actually kill a lot of people personally. While some like Guo Jing/Wei Xiaobao arguably caused a lot of deaths via leading armies, there are very few who have significant amounts of hands on their own hands; in fact, the only one that I can think of is Xiao Feng, for his awesome performance at Juxian Manor. However, I don't believe we have an actual body count for him.

Shi Potian, however, has a confirmed body count of over 100 people... in a single battle! This boy's got massive blood on his hands!

In chapter 12, 'two copper medallions', Shi Potian accidentally wipes out basically the entire Iron Rake clan through his poisonous palms.

这么一连击倒了六人,好几人大叫:“这小子毒掌厉害,大伙儿小心些。”又有人叫道:“王三哥也给这小子毒掌 击死了,小……小……心……”这人话未说完,咕咚一声,摔倒在地,一根铁叉重重击在自己脸上。这人并没给石 破天手掌击中,居然也中毒而死。

铁叉会会众神色惶怖,步步退后,但听得呛啷啷、砰嘭、喀喇、啊啊之声不绝,一个个摔倒,有的转身欲逃,但跑 不了两步,也即滚倒。

转眼之间,大厅中百余名壮汉横七竖八的摔满了一地,只剩下四个功力最高之人,伸手掩住口鼻,夺路外闯,但只奔到厅门口,四人便挤成一团,同时倒毙
    Holy crap! This is an absolute bloodbath! Again, possibly save for 'War God' Xiao Feng at Juxian Manor, I can't think of any Jinyong protagonist with a higher body count - for that matter, even amongst antagonists/side characters, I can't immediately think of any who had a higher body count in a single encounter!

Anyone have some events/MC's/characters that might be on par with or ahead of Shi Potian? Xie Xun wiping out 30 families probably does the trick, although it was spread out.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 06-22-21 at 10:34 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

and the fun fact is, shi potian didnt realize he was the one who killed them all.

nice to see you re-translate ode to gallantry, RWX
    even though it used machine translation, the result is still better than DGSD, which some translators use ed2, the other use ed3, really mess.
    and of course also better than sword stained with royal blood, in which no one attempt to translate it
    Last edited by a_tumiwa; 06-24-21 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Holy crap! This is an absolute bloodbath! Again, possibly save for 'War God' Xiao Feng at Juxian Manor, I can't think of any Jinyong protagonist with a higher body count - for that matter, even amongst antagonists/side characters, I can't immediately think of any who had a higher body count in a single encounter!

Anyone have some events/MC's/characters that might be on par with or ahead of Shi Potian? Xie Xun wiping out 30 families probably does the trick, although it was spread out.
    One event that comes to mind was when Linghu Chong maimed or killed over 50 members of the Songshan Sect while rescuing the trapped members of the Hengshan Sect (with the first 30 dispatched in 'a teacup's time' (一盞茶) ). While the body count is lower, it still feels a lot more visceral as it was deliberately and individually done with a sword rather than unconsciously and collectively with poison, and was almost certainly bloodier!

I'm not sure spread-out kills count for much though - Hong Qigong claims to have killed 231 people at the end of LOCH, and I rather doubt that he was anywhere near being the most prolific killer over his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Trying to figure out how to use a teacup as a measure of time.
    Presumably, the time taken to finish drinking a cup of tea. Seems like a highly variable length of time though - if the tea was cold, then I could finish it in one gulp . If it was boiling hot, then it would take much longer.

A Google search suggests that it is around 10-15 minutes, but that seems like a long time to be sipping at a cup of tea...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    Presumably, the time taken to finish drinking a cup of tea. Seems like a highly variable length of time though - if the tea was cold, then I could finish it in one gulp . If it was boiling hot, then it would take much longer.

A Google search suggests that it is around 10-15 minutes, but that seems like a long time to be sipping at a cup of tea...
    drinking a cup of tea leisurely with old friend , chit-chat, yeah that would take 10-15 minutes, especially if your interlocutor is a hot girl, would take longer
    Best Wuxia author of all time : master Jin Yong

Guo Jing et al must have killed at least 100 Mongolians soldiers each during that final battle at the end of ROCH.

Throughout his career at Xiangyang alone, GJ's body count must have been in the thousands. Or does it not count because it's military battles?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Shi Potian probably does have the highest kill count in one go. He was using a biochemical agent of sorts and those do kill more effectively; I don’t know my history as well as others on the forum but I think in WWI and the Vietnam War chemicals were used and maimed/killed more than a soldier with his bare hands or a sword or saber could ever do.

Xiao Yuanshan went berserk when his wife was killed and massacred 19 martial artists, and he tore some limb from limb.

Li Mochou probably has probably a longer list of casualties than Hong Qigong. She slaughtered an old martial artist surnamed He and his family of twenty more members when she couldn’t kill/stop Lu Zhanyuan from getting married to He Yuanjun. Li killed that family because he had the same surname as He Yuanyun, but was no relation. She admitted that she destroyed a shipping company with 63 locations because they had the character ‘Yuan’ in their name. Can we be certain that she killed all its employees? No, but we are talking about Li Mochou. There is a stronger chance that all of these employees in that shipping company were killed, but that is speculation. She killed a bunch of male villagers in a remote small village outside Xiangyang because they were men and could not provide milk for baby Guo Xiang.

(I thought I had problems before I have my first mug of coffee in the morning).

武三通将栗树抓得更加紧了,叫道:“李姑娘,你也忒以狠心,阿沅……”“阿沅”这两字一出口,李莫愁脸色登 变,说道:“我曾立过重誓,谁在我面前提起这贱人的名字,不是他死就是我亡。我曾在沅江之上连毁六十三家货 栈船行,只因他们招牌上带了这个臭字,这件事你可曾听到了吗?武三爷,是你自己不好,可怨不得我。”说著拂 尘一起,往武三通头顶拂到。

Then HSDS, Miejue killed at least seven to eight members of the Golden Banner within moments when the battle started, then she used her Heavenly Sword to kill the leader and proceeded to kill seven to eight more cultists in a matter of moments, before she sealed the acupoints of the remaining ones. She slaughtered at least 16 to 18 in a matter of moments.

In Ode to Gallantry, Zhang San and Li Si, themselves, can casually slaughter entire martial arts schools or organizations. So, they have a pretty high kill list. In a way, it is uncanny because Shi Potian is brothers with them; they are in good company?

In the Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain, Hu Fei does seal the cave with the treasures of Li Zicheng with all of those callous and horrible people. We are not sure whether he would unseal the cave because Hu Fei’s own fate is left unresolved up to now. Jin Yong Estate, if you are reading this, please release Jin Yong’s last notes on the ending or publish a book with all possible endings that Jin Yong had written down.
    Last edited by Athena; 06-26-21 at 06:20 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post

Depending on how one drinks his/her tea, Ling Wu Chung's feat might or might not appear so remarkable.