Thread: My Conscience for a Horse!

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Lightbulb My Conscience for a Horse!

In chapter 22 of ROCH, Li Mochou managed to kidnap baby Guo Xiang from the Golden Wheel Monk, Yang Guo and the Little Dragon Girl. The Golden Wheel Monk and Yang Guo were hot on the pursuit and little Dragon Girl arrives a little bit later and sees at the two dead soldiers and a dead horse all were obviously thrown from the wall and used as a stepping stone to leave the city walls.

小龙女出得城来,只见两名军士血肉模糊的死在城墙角下,另有一匹战马也摔得腿断头裂,放眼远望,但见苍苍群 山,莽莽平野,怎知这三人到了何处。她愁急无计,拍著宝马的颈道:“马儿啊马儿,我是去救你幼主,快快带我 去罢!”那马也不知是否真懂她的言语,昂头长嘶,放开四蹄,泼刺刺往东北方奔去。原来杨过与国师追赶李莫愁 ,直追上了城头,均想城墙极高,她已无退路,必可就此截住。那知李莫愁一上城头,顺手抓过一名军士,便往城 下掷去,跟著向下跳落。待那军士与地面将触未触之际,她左足在军士背上一点,已将下落的急势消去,身子向前 纵出,轻飘飘的著地,竟连怀中的婴儿亦未震动,那军士却已颈折骨断,哼都没哼一声,已然毙命。国师暗骂:“ 好厉害的女人!”依样葫芦,也掷了一名军士下城,跟著跃落。杨过要以旁人来作自己的垫脚石,实是有所不忍, 眼见时机紧迫,心念一动,发掌将一匹战马推出城头,不待战马落地,飞身跃在马背,那马摔得骨骼粉碎,他却安 然跃下,跟在国师之後追去。

The Golden Wheel Monk was happy to have chased Li Mochou up the wall and thinking she cannot escape now. Li Mochou whose second nature is killing didn’t think twice and grabbed a soldier and tossed him down the wall and used him as a stepping stone.

(Here I find the Golden Wheel Monk’s thought quite hilarious), he thought: That is one formidable woman!” But translated into contemporary English, it would be:” That fcucking biatch!” grabs a soldier too and chucks him of the wall too. Yang Guo arrives and sees what those two did and thought: "I can’t throw a solider of the walls.", and threw a horse off the wall and used it as a stepping stone.

My question to all of you? Which protagonist in Jin Yong would hesitate to push the horse down, and/or not hesitate to push a soldier down the wall? Thoughts?

Duan Yu and Xuzhu would definitely hesitate about pushing the horse down the wall.
    Last edited by Athena; 06-25-21 at 03:16 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

all Jin Yong's protagonist are kind-hearted type person (other than Wei Xiaobao), even though each of them had at least killed one person in the story (except 3 JY's short stories), so i think all of them would hesitate to do that thing to horse

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    My question to all of you? Which protagonist in Jin Yong would hesitate to push the horse down, and/or not hesitate to push a soldier down the wall? Thoughts?

Duan Yu and Xuzhu would definitely hesitate about pushing the horse down the wall.
    I think all of them would have qualms about the soldier except for Wai Siu Bo (and even he's 50/50 depending on how the soldier treated him in the past, though he did betray Dolong, who had been a great buddy to him and whom WSB genuinely liked). The horse...well, while wuxia heroes are decent people who wouldn't torment or slaughter animals for personal amusement, they are not beyond using beasts in inhumane ways to serve what they believe to be a greater purpose. I remember Gwok Jing ordering the slaughter of many goats to use their legs to make a ladder to reach the mountain peak where Wong Yung was hiding somewhere near Samarkand, right? If Gwok Jing had on hand other materials to use to make such a ladder, he'd likely do so rather than sacrificing the goats, but consideration for animal life wasn't going to stop him from achieving his goal. A somewhat similar mental calculus must have been going on in Yeung Gor's mind when he chose to sacrifice the horse instead of the soldier: like most people, when forced to choose to between a human life and other animal life, he chose human life. Even today, while most of us would hate to sacrifice a dog, cat, or other animal to save a human being and would avoid it if at all possible, if we had to choose, I think we'd choose to save the human over the animal. Even the law would require us to do so.

Hong 7 Gong.

Only because he would rue a waste of horse meat.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    Hong 7 Gong.

Only because he would rue a waste of horse meat.
    Is horse meat a delicacy? My understanding is that it's something that people only ate if they were desperate (e.g. eat it or starve).

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Is horse meat a delicacy? My understanding is that it's something that people only ate if they were desperate (e.g. eat it or starve).
    Its quite popular in France, supposedly taste like beef.

From memory there are two instances in Jin Yong’s novels where horse was consumed.
    In A Deadly Secret, Di Yun, Shui Sheng, Hua Tiegang and the Blood Saber Monk were trapp
    ed in a valley during winter time. Shui Sheng’s horse was killed, against her wishes, and the four (later three) of them tried to survive on the horst meat for as long as possible.

In the Smiling Proud Wanderer where Xiang Wentian and Linghu Chong were pursued by Sun and Moon cultists and members of the orthodox martial arts schools, Xiang Wentian killed three horses and used their blood to quench his thirst and Linghu Chong’s. He also broke off a horse’s leg and told Linghu Chong to keep it as they may need it as sustenance.

Apparently, the French are falling out of love with horse meat. I was in France on holiday in 2015, and I saw horse meat on the menu of a haute cuisine restaurant. I decided that it was a bit too ‘exotic’ for my taste, so I ordered the chicken instead. I know: I am so basic.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8qb5...ith-horse-meat
    Last edited by Athena; 06-27-21 at 05:59 AM.
    And all we need of hell.

Li Mochou throwing this soldier of a wall could be foreshadowing by Jin Yong, as we can read that Li Mochou had no qualms of throwing Hong Lingbo into the flower beds in the Passionless Valley as a stepping stone.

I think this scene with a soldier just shows how callous her nature is. The Golden Wheel Monk was not shy of killing people, but even he was impressed that Li Mochou could immediately think of such a clever but callous way of getting out of a tricky situation.
    And all we need of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Its quite popular in France, supposedly taste like beef.
    In Indonesia "Sate Kuda" or horse satay is very popular food especially in Java..