Thread: Emotional OMG moments or moments that tug my heart strings.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Lightbulb Emotional OMG moments or moments that tug my heart strings.

This is not a list of martial arts performances, but these are scenes in Jin Yong novels that left or still leaves an impact on me.

One characteristic that I have noticed using a historical-biographical approach in literary criticism is that Jin Yong writes about parent and child relationships a lot. There are certain scenes writes so well, and it is cruel irony that he lost a son. However, he had finished written all of his novels before his son committed suicide. Isn’t irony the cruellest of all literary conceits?

1) DGSD: How Xiao Feng’s past was revealed, and how half of the Beggars’ Union denounced. On top of that, how his teacher and master, Wang Jiantong, left a letter behind that would give any members of the Beggars’ Union a carte blanche the moment Xiao Feng does anything that would indicate he sides with an organisation that is not Han Chinese pained Xiao Feng a lot. As a reader, I could feel that pain.

2) In DGSD, the death of A Zhu, we often comment how illogical it is for A Zhu to have her final moments to say something to Xiao Feng; however, it is necessary for that tragedy to be tragic.

3) The moment that Duan Yanqing realises that Duan Yu is his son. The joy he felt made him think that becoming an emperor is nothing compared to having a son. Furthermore, Duan Yanqing became so happy that Duan Yu acknowledged that Duan Yanqing is his father. That was an emotional scene.

4) The suicides of Abbot Xuanci and Ye Erniang are quite powerful too.

5) The suicide of Xiao Feng is a tearjerker and the combination of A Zhi losing her mind are just engraved into my mind. A Zhi is terrible person, but that moment she realises that the only good person in her life, her love and her moral compass is gone are a tour de force by Jin Yong.

6) LOCH: The death of the Five Freaks and Guo Jing discovering and burying his teachers’ bodies is also tugging my heart strings. Readers often joke about how low the martial arts level is of the Seven Freaks, but they are good people. They committed to a promise and that promise led them to leave their home for 18 years. They raised that boy into a good-hearted young man, and that young man loved them so much, and they loved him and were proud of him. The scenes that the Seven Freaks have Guo Jing are emotionally packed. I don’t blame Guo Jing for not paying respects to Ouyang Feng’s grave at the end of ROCH.

7) LOCH: the death of Li Ping. Li Ping is arguably one of the best mothers in Chinese fiction. She embodies all the qualities that an unconditional motherhood should represent. Her last words to Guo Jing show that unconditional love a parent has for his/her/their child. Every time I read or watch an adaptation of LOCH, this scene really gets me teary-eyed.

8) ROCH: I found the chapters where Yang Guo was going through this internal conflict of whether he should assassinate Guo Jing. However, through Yang Guo we appreciate Guo Jing’s selflessness towards a noble cause but also towards Yang Guo. When Yang Guo realises that Guo Jing is that father figure he has always wanted. Guo Jing was the father that Yang Guo envisioned how Yang Kang might have been in Yang Guo’s troubled mind. In those scenes there was a lot father-son bonding taking place.

9) Yang Guo and the Little Dragon Girl getting married, and finding solace that neither of them will live long.

10) Yang Guo realises that the Little Dragon Girl is accidentally poisoned by Guo Fu, and that despair that he has.

11) The suicide of Gongsun Lu’e reveals so much about her and also her despicable father, Gongsun Zhi. There are very few characters that invoke disgust in me, but Gongsun Zhi is one. He holds his own daughter as hostage, she commits suicide on his blade, and then uses her dead body as a shield to block the iron nails form his wife, Qiu Qianchi. Gongsun Zhi is scum.

12) The Little Dragon Girl carving the characters in stone, and Yang Guo’s fear of where the little Dragon Girl is.

13) When the war is over and Guo Jing extends his hand to Yang Guo and they walk into Xiangyang together was very heart-warming. Two heroes of their time hand in hand and understanding each other.

14) This is a lesser heart tug, but it was gratifying to see Guo Fu eat crow and apologise to Yang Guo.

15) The melancholy Guo Xiang had during the last chapters in ROCH and that carried over to HSDS. Here is a girl who is perfect. She has a great personality, she cares a lot of the matters of the world, and she is not afraid to stand up against bullies. It sounds very sexist to say that she should find a good man and marry that good man (either Zhang Junbao or He Zudao). Guo Xiang’s two most important men in her life are her father: North Hero, Guo Jing and her big brother, West Eccentric, Yang Guo. Zhang Junbao and He Zudao as nice or impressive they are, they can’t compete with the former two, she is doomed to being melancholic. In HSDS, we find out that she became a Buddhist nun and founded the E Mei School.

16) HSDS: The story of Xie Xun and how Cheng Kun killed his family. Additionally, how he against his own wishes killed reverend Kongjian with trickery. Xie Xun found a bit of his humanity back that night.

TBC..........
    Last edited by Athena; 06-29-21 at 10:53 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

@Athena
    this is one of my favorite..

she is just a young girl, she doesnt do what spectacular thing other Heroes do
    what she did is just a tiny thing, but she did with a Big Heart
    to have a big heart doesnt require one accomplish a great merit.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vyQDqmX_2gc/YNs6Ws2W1JI/AAAAAAAAHIg/mmrAKLNuqAIBV1-fvsrWlHNCA_NVMdqJwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1920/proud-wang-wang-proud-20spr-illu727-julielieberman-a4-narrative-illustration-cn%2B%25281%2529.jpg')

#White Horse Neighs in the Western Wind
    #Do_Small_Things_With_Big_Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    This is not a list of martial arts performances, but these are scenes in Jin Yong novels that left or still leaves an impact on me.

One characteristic that I have noticed using a historical-biographical approach in literary criticism is that Jin Yong writes about parent and child relationships a lot. There are certain scenes writes so well, and it is cruel irony that he lost a son. However, he had finished written all of his novels before his son committed suicide. Isn’t irony the cruellest of all literary conceits?

1) DGSD: How Xiao Feng’s past was revealed, and how half of the Beggars’ Union denounced. On top of that, how his teacher and master, Wang Jiantong, left a letter behind that would give any members of the Beggars’ Union a carte blanche the moment Xiao Feng does anything that would indicate he sides with an organisation that is not Han Chinese pained Xiao Feng a lot. As a reader, I could feel that pain.
    Can't watch Kiu Fung's tragic downfall unfold without thinking of Dr. King's famous remark about people being judged by the content of their character rather than their ethnic origin. As DGSD was one of Jin Yong's later works, it really shows how Jin Yong's mentality had evolved from his earlier stories in which he was more unapologetically, "Urgh! Khitan/Jurchen/Mongol dog! Evil!"

2) In DGSD, the death of A Zhu, we often comment how illogical it is for A Zhu to have her final moments to say something to Xiao Feng; however, it is necessary for that tragedy to be tragic.
    Without doubt, the single saddest scene in a Jin Yong story.

4) The suicides of Abbot Xuanci and Ye Erniang are quite powerful too.
    While that is true, that plot twist really came out of NOWHERE. It would be as crazy as Wonder Woman revealing to Batman that she was the one who killed his parents. It was just, "Wait...WHAT?!"

5) The suicide of Xiao Feng is a tearjerker and the combination of A Zhi losing her mind are just engraved into my mind. A Zhi is terrible person, but that moment she realises that the only good person in her life, her love and her moral compass is gone are a tour de force by Jin Yong.
    It was arguably also the most heroic moment in the Jin Yong canon. The greatest heroism of all is giving one's life so that others (in this case, countless Hans and Khitans) could live. I know that every single one of Jin Yong's heroes would make this sacrifice (well, maybe not Wai Siu Bo), but Kiu Fung was the only one who actually did.

6) LOCH: The death of the Five Freaks and Guo Jing discovering and burying his teachers’ bodies is also tugging my heart strings. Readers often joke about how low the martial arts level is of the Seven Freaks, but they are good people. They committed to a promise and that promise led them to leave their home for 18 years. They raised that boy into a good-hearted young man, and that young man loved them so much, and they loved him and were proud of him. The scenes that the Seven Freaks have Guo Jing are emotionally packed. I don’t blame Guo Jing for not paying respects to Ouyang Feng’s grave at the end of ROCH.
    Considering the things that West Poison Au Yeung Fung did to him and his loved ones, Gwok Jing demonstrated remarkable restraint to not defile the man's grave. Gwok Jing certainly didn't owe Au Yeung Fung any postmortem tributes.

7) LOCH: the death of Li Ping. Li Ping is arguably one of the best mothers in Chinese fiction. She embodies all the qualities that an unconditional motherhood should represent. Her last words to Guo Jing show that unconditional love a parent has for his/her/their child. Every time I read or watch an adaptation of LOCH, this scene really gets me teary-eyed.
    Heroes come in all forms. In her own way, this simple peasant woman was as heroic as the son she raised. Would he be the hero he became without her influence? Doubtful.

8) ROCH: I found the chapters where Yang Guo was going through this internal conflict of whether he should assassinate Guo Jing. However, through Yang Guo we appreciate Guo Jing’s selflessness towards a noble cause but also towards Yang Guo. When Yang Guo realises that Guo Jing is that father figure he has always wanted. Guo Jing was the father that Yang Guo envisioned how Yang Kang might have been in Yang Guo’s troubled mind. In those scenes there was a lot father-son bonding taking place.
    One of ROCH's better moments.

11) The suicide of Gongsun Lu’e reveals so much about her and also her despicable father, Gongsun Zhi. There are very few characters that invoke disgust in me, but Gongsun Zhi is one. He holds his own daughter as hostage, she commits suicide on his blade, and then uses her dead body as a shiled to block the iron nails form his wife, Qiu Qianchi. Gongsun Zhi is scum.
    I guess it really is about nurture rather than nature: Gung Sheun Luk Ngok certainly didn't get her virtues from her genetics, but at the same time...I do wonder where she learned her virtues from considering that she grew up knowing only her father and the Passionless Valley minions.

13) When the war is over and Guo Jing extends his hand to Yang Guo and they walk into Xiangyang together was
    very heart-warming. Two heroes of their time hand in hand and understanding each other.
    It was a kind of a passing of the torch moment; I just wish Yeung Gor didn't rush to hand it back.

14) This is a lesser heart tug, but it was gratifying to see Guo Fu eat crow and apologise to Yang Guo.
    See? She's not beyond redemption. I've always had a strange kind of faith in Gwok Fu, in spite of all her flaws.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Not sure if its in the novel, but in TVB's 1984 The Deer and the Cauldron, where Kangxi rescued Wei Xiaobao then had the fight with him. Here you truly felt the loneliness of Kangxi and how much he valued his only real friend but also who deeply WXB's betrayal cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Not sure if its in the novel, but in TVB's 1984 The Deer and the Cauldron, where Kangxi rescued Wei Xiaobao then had the fight with him. Here you truly felt the loneliness of Kangxi and how much he valued his only real friend but also who deeply WXB's betrayal cut him.
    I hear it's not in the novel, but the scene has been praised as one of the best additions a TV adaptation has made to an existing wuxia story.

1. When Yang Guo overheard Ke Zhen'e relate the story of his father at the Temple of the Iron Spear.
    YG realize that his father was a bad person and a traitor to country.
    Must have been heart wrecking since he probably think his father was a good person all of the years searching for his father's identity.

2. When Huang Yaoshi told Yang Guo that the Divine Nun of the South Sea doesn't exist.
    Yang Guo ran several nights and days without eating, drinking, or resting.

3. When he realized that Xiaolongnu might have jumped down the cliff and must have die 16 years ago. His hair turned gray.
    This moment could be the peak of True Sad Palms if released
    Probably not, Yang Guo might self-destruct or self fire-deviate.

Thanks everyone for their responses!

Two scenes I forgot in ROCH would be when Yang Guo discovers that the Little Dragon Girl is missing. Then 16 years later, they reunite, that is a beautiful moment.

17) In HSDS, the suicides of Zhang Cuishan and Yin Susu and little Wuji witnessing his parents’ death were teary moments. When little Wuji cried and cried, Yu Lianzhou said:” Wuji, when you grow up, you can avenge your parents.” Wuji replied tearily:” Second Uncle, can we just forgive those bad people? Let’s try to save my parents!” Everyone at Wudang was in tears again. Zhang Sanfeng looking at Zhang Cuishan’s body and crying:” Oh… my poor boy!”

18) The scenes in which Wudang and Yin Tianzheng recognize that Ceng A Niu is Zhang Wuji and that joy and relief they have. Including the joy of Zhang Sanfeng knowing that his grandson is still alive and just saved his life.

19) Xiao Zhao returning to Persia and never be able to see Zhang Wuji again was quite touching.

20) Zhang Wuji reuniting with Xie Xun was touching as well.

21) This is a bit of a strange one, but when Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min pretended to be an eloping couple and were taken in by Yi Sanniang and her deaf husband Du Baidang. Later on, we found out that Yi Sanniang and Du Baidang’s son was murdered by Xie Xun. Yi Sanniang wanted Wuji to work at Shaolin to use him as a spy. Yi Sanniang couldn’t help to show her pain of losing her son and in a scene where Yi Sanniang and Zhang Wuji pretended to be mother and son, they both were overwhelmed by how much one misses her son, and how the other misses his mother.

易三娘冷笑道:「拙夫刺毀雙耳,那是五年前的事了。再說,我老夫妻的獨生愛兒無辜為謝遜惡賊害死,我夫婦和 他仇深似海,報復這等殺子之仇,焉能假手旁人?我們一遇上姓謝這惡賊,老婆子第一步便是刺聾自己雙耳。我夫 婦但求與他同歸於盡。嘿嘿,自從我愛兒為他所害,我老夫婦於人世早已一無所戀。得罪少林派也好,得罪武當派 也好,大不了千刀萬剮,何是道哉?」

易三娘除下包頭的粗布,抹了抹汗,又伸手過去替張無忌抹汗,說道:「乖孩子,累了么?」張無忌初時有些不好 意思,但聽她言語之中頗蓄深情,不像是故意做作,不禁望了她一眼。只見她淚水在眼眶中轉來轉去,知她是念及 自己被謝遜所殺了的那個孩子,但見她情致纏綿的凝視自己,似乎盼望自己答話,不由得心下不忍,便道:「媽, 我不累。你老人家累了。」他一聲「媽」叫出口,想起自己母親,不禁傷感。易三娘聽他叫了一聲「媽」,淚水忍 不住流了下來,假意用包頭巾擦汗,擦的卻是淚水。張無忌走將過去,在易三娘柴擔上取下兩捆乾柴,放在自己柴 擔之上,道:「媽,咱們走罷。」易三娘見他如此體貼,心想:「我那孩子今日若在世上,比這少年年紀大得多了 ,我孫兒也抱了幾個啦。」一時怔怔的不能移步,眼見張無忌挑擔走出山亭,這才跟著走出,心情激動之下,腳下 不禁有些蹣跚。張無忌回過身來,伸手相扶,心想:「要是我媽媽此刻尚在人世,我能這麼扶她一把 ……」

Zhou Zhiruo killed Yi Sannniang and Du Baidang. In a way, I believe this couple would not have settled with slapping, kicking or spitting on Xie Xun.

22) We know that by the time of Zhang Wuji, Guo Jing and Huang Rong must be dead. Nonetheless, reading that they died in the last stand in Xiangyang leaves the readers saddened and wondering how that last stand must have looked like. Guo Jing and Huang Rong, two protagonists we've read from young to old, and then hearing they died in a last heroic last stand. It is extremely sad.

23) Ode To Gallantry: When Shi Qing and Wen Ruo mistake Shi Potian as their son, and tries to make him remember his past. The scene where both Shi Qing and Wen Ruo went to a temple and prayed for their son. In the afterword of the Ode to Gallantry, Jin Yong wrote that he often wept when he re-read that part. That part made Jin Yong think about his late son.

24) The massacre of Liu Zhengfeng and his family is sometimes hard to read. That was a politically motivated extermination by the Songshan School. Ding Mian and Lu Bo made Liu Zhengfeng’s youngest son denounce Liu Zhengfeng was also tugging at my heartstrings. It reminds me of those stories told about the Cultural Revolution.

25) Smiling Proud Wanderer where everyone suspected that Linghu Chong had pocketed the Bixie Jianfa. Of course, he was officially disowned by Yue Buqun.

26) In Sword Stained by Royal Blood, I do get sad knowing that Yuan Chengzhi and Changping loved one another, but could not be together; especially knowing that Changping became Jiunan and probably never saw Yuan Chengzhi again in her life.

27) In the Duke of Mount Deer and where Wei Xiaobao saw the death of Chen Jinnan. Wei was heartbroken, and realised that Chen Jinnan was the father figure he desperately wanted in life. Chen’s death reminded that he was a fatherless child.

韋小寶微一定神,喘了幾口氣,搶到陳近南身邊,只見鄭克爽那柄長劍穿胸而過,兀自插在身上,但尚未斷氣,不 由得放聲大哭,抱起了他身子。陳近南功力深湛,內息未散,低聲說道:「小寶,人總是要死的。我……我一生為 國為民,無愧於天地。你……你……你也不用難過。」韋小寶只叫:「師父,師父!」他和陳近南相處時日其實甚 暫,每次相聚,總是擔心師父查考自己武功進境,心下惴惴,一門心思只是想如何搪塞推委,掩飾自己不求上進, 極少有什麼感激師恩的心意。但此刻眼見他立時便要死去,師父平日種種不言之教,對待自己恩慈如父的厚愛,立 時充滿胸臆,恨不得代替他死了,說道:「師父,我對你不住,你……你傳我的武功,我……我……我一點兒也沒 學。」陳近南微笑道「你只要做好人,師父就很歡喜,學不學武功,那……那並不打緊。」韋小寶道:「我一定聽 你的話,做好人,不……不做壞人。」陳近南微笑道:「乖孩子,你一向來就是好孩子。」韋小寶咬牙切齒的道: 「鄭克爽這惡賊害你,嗚嗚,嗚嗚,師父,我已制住了他,一定將他斬成肉醬,替你報仇,嗚嗚,嗚嗚……」邊哭 邊說,淚水直流。陳近南身子一顫,忙道:「不,不!我是鄭王爺的部屬。國姓爺待我恩重如山,咱們無論如何, 不能殺害國姓爺的骨肉……寧可他無情,不能我無義,小寶,我就要死了,你不可敗壞我的忠義之名。你……你千 萬要聽我的話……」他本來臉含微笑,這時突然臉色大為焦慮,又道:「小寶,你答應我,一定要放他回台灣,否 則,否則我死不瞑目。」
      韋小寶無可奈何,只得道:「既然師父饒了這惡賊,我聽你……聽你吩咐便是。」陳近南登時安心,吁了口長 氣,緩緩的道:「小寶,天地會……反清復明大業,你好好乾,咱們漢人齊心合力,終能恢復江山,只可惜……可 惜我見……見不著了……」聲音越說越低,一口氣吸不進去,就此死去。韋小寶抱著他身子,大叫:「師父,師父 !」叫得聲嘶力竭,陳近南再無半點聲息。蘇荃等一直站在他身畔,眼見陳近南已死,韋小寶悲不自勝,人人都感 凄惻。蘇荃輕撫他肩頭,柔聲道:「小寶,你師父過去了。」韋小寶哭道:「師父死了,死了!」他從來沒有父親 ,內心深處,早已將師父當作了父親,以彌補這個缺憾,只是自己也不知道而已;此刻師父逝世,心中傷痛便如洪 水潰堤,難以抑制,原來自己終究是個沒父親的野孩子。

28) Reading that Wei Xiaobao was feeling sad when he found out that Taiwan had been conquered. He thought how his teacher tried so hard to revive the Ming Dynasty or at least protect Taiwan, but just a matter of years after his death Cheng Keshuang surrendered. Wei Xiaobao thought that Chen Jinnan must be weeping in his grave and he, himself, became saddened.

29) Wei Xiaobao has many flaws, but deep down he is a good person. When he heard that Chen Jinnan’s daughter was chased out of the palace of Taiwan and committed suicide, Wei became angry and sad.
    林興珠道:「是。回爵爺:鄭王爺於今年正月二十八去世,遺命大公子克臧接位。大公子英明剛毅,台灣軍民向來 敬服。可是太夫人董國太卻不喜歡他,派馮錫范行刺,將他殺了,立二公子克爽接位。大公子的陳夫人去見董國太 ,說大公子無罪。董國太大怒,叫人趕了出來,陳夫人抱著大公子的屍體哭了一場,就上弔死了。那位陳夫人,便 是陳……陳軍師的大小姐。這件事台灣上下人心都很不服。」韋小寶聽說師父的女兒給人逼死,想起師父,心下酸 痛,一拍桌子,罵道:「他媽的,鄭克爽這小子昏庸糊塗,會做什麼屁王爺了?」

To be continued………
    And all we need of hell.

i forget the scene number 29, would re-read that part, did chen jinnan's daughter marry a member of zheng family?
    Last edited by a_tumiwa; 06-29-21 at 11:11 PM.

3rd Edition ROCH:
    When Jinlun Fawang uses every once of his energy to save Guo Xiang and asked her her to call him master before he dies.

I have tears or close to tears everytime I read the novel or watch an adaptation with this scene.

Also cannot imaging Guo Xiang chasing or trying to find Yang Guo when YG and Xiaolongu departs Mt. Huashan at the conclusion of ROCH. Heart wrecking.

Poor girl, why did you have to love YG; for, he only has his gugu.
    I think GX looking for YG for years is similar to the agony/melancholy YG felt during the 16-year interlude, waiting for his wife.

Biggest tearjerker for me is when Ning Zhongze died in LHC's arms. Then she said something to the effect of "He (YBQ) won't accept you as his disciple anymore, but I'll still be your master."

This scene gets me everytime, in the books or on TV. I really like how Jin Yong built her character. She's the mother figure that everyone wants. Strict but not overbearing. Gives you enough guidance and allows you to explore your own path. No wonder even the supposed "enemies" like Lin Pingzhi and RWX have the utmost respect for her.

Chen Jinnan’s daughter married Zheng Keshuang’s brother, Zheng Kezhuang.

30) The Young Flying Fox: The deaths of Zhong A Si and his family. A simple farmer with his wife and two children who did not want to sell his land to Feng Tiannan for 5 taels of silver. Feng Tiannan then framed his two children for stealing one of the geese on Feng’s property and eating the goose. The goons of Feng searched the farm of Zhong and found goose feathers, which those goons obviously planted. The two children were stiffed witless when they were asked what they ate. One of the children, Xiao San, had a speech impediment and said “吃我“, which was heard as a confession that he ate ‘鹅’. They drag Zhong A Si to the local magistrate and put him in the dungeon where he was beaten into confession. His wife, Zhong Si Sao, after begging endlessly is allowed to see her husband who was already beaten senseless and kept rambling:” We are innocent. We didn’t steal. I am not selling my land.” Then, the local magistrate pronounced that as compensation for the stolen goose, the land of the Zhongs had to be given to Feng Tiannan. Zhong Si Sao in a state of utter desperation drags her son, Xiao San, to the local temple and asked the deity to be a witness that they are innocent, and she slashed upon her son’s stomach and found nothing but 螺 a form of snails. Due to the speech impediment, Xiao San could not pronounce 螺 properly. Zhong Si Sao was driven mad, and then Feng Tiannan said if it is not Xiao San, it must be Xiao Er who ate the goose. Around that time, Hu Fei arrived into the story and tried to save the Zhongs; however, in edition three he was outwitted by the Fengs and the entire Zhong family was killed due to Hu Fei’s negligence.

31) The Young Flying Fox: Yuan Yingu’s life. Yuan Yingu was the mother of Yuan Ziyi. Yuan Yingu was the daughter of a local fisherman living near Foshan. One time she went to deliver fish to the Feng residence, Feng Tiannan saw how pretty she was and raped her. Then she got pregnant after the result of the rape, her father went to the Fengs to demand they own up to the crime. The Fengs beat up the father, and her father died because of the injury and the frustration of the injustice. The elders of Yuan Yingu’s family **** shamed and victim blamed Yuan Yingu and told her she was not allowed to pay her last respects to her father’s coffin. She even wanted to her in a cage and drown her. She managed to flee and after a few months gave birth to Yuan Ziyi. She became a beggar and begged for scraps of food. A worker at a local fishery had always been in love with Yingu and proposed to her. This local worker said he didn’t what happened to Yingu and would accept the baby girl as his own. Unfortunately, some local gossipers told Feng Tiannan about this, and Feng Tiannan angrily said:” How dare this local peasant want a woman I had before!” He sent his goons to smash up the wedding banquet, and threatened the local worker to leave Foshan. Yuan Yingu, in desperation, fled as Foshan as well. She, then found out, that the Fengs had actually beaten her fiancé to death. She then left to Nanchang and found herself employment as a maid in the residence of the great hero, Tang Pei, nicknamed the benevolent rain across seven provinces. Tang Pei was attracted to Yingu and raped her as well. In her utter resignation to her misfortunes killed herself.

I can’t continue today. Summarizing these two subplots remind me of too much social injustice that exist in 2021 and in both developed and developing economies.
    And all we need of hell.

32) The Death of Cheng Lingsu. That is a really sad chapter. Hu Fei only realises how much part she was of his life after she sacrifices her life to save his. I get teary with this chapter every time.

33) The White Horse Neighs in the Western Wing: Li Wenxiu and her unrequited love with Su Pu and fighting the biases the Kazakhs had against Han Chinese.

34) Li Wenxiu finding out that the two people whom loved her the most are bitter enemies of one another. The old man who raised turned out to be a 30-year-old handsome man called Ma Jiajun, and he was secretly in love with her.

35) The Book and the Sword: The Death of Princess Fragrance.

36) The Young Flying Fox: Chen Jialuo who still mourns the Princess Fragrance and laments:” If I could have seen her (referring to Princess Fragrance) before she died, she would have been so happy. Unfortunately……” Chen paused and turned to Hu Fei and said:” I’ll see Miss Ma.” He would pretend to be Fu Kangan to console the dying Ma Chunhua. That was one of the most selfless acts of Chen Jialuo ever did.
    And all we need of hell.

That completes my list. Now we can discuss. Feel free to add your own list of tearjerkers.

I agree with EdenResident that the death of Ning Zhongce is tragic too. She was the mum of Linghu Chong and the term ‘师娘 ‘ means so much to Linghu Chong.

Li Ping’s death is a very powerful scene. She is a simple peasant woman, but she was a heroine.
    And all we need of hell.

no.36 , yeah that Chen Jialuo is one of the most selfless character in jin yong's universe, he gave up the woman he loves to qianlong for country, this trait is already extinct nowadays. that's why in my country, chen jialuo is the most hated character
    Last edited by a_tumiwa; 07-01-21 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    no.36 , yeah that Chen Jialuo is one of the most selfless character in jin yong's universe, he gave up the woman he loves to qianlong for country, this trait is already extinct nowadays. that's why in my country, chen jialuo is the most hated character
    Many people don't get self-sacrifice and heroism. That is not surprising. What *is* surprising is how many such people proclaim to be wuxia fans. That's like claiming to be a gourmet and not liking food.

Lots of the examples provided so far are great and are ones which I would have also said. But I was wondering if people have non-Jin Yong emotional moments to describe too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by texture View Post
    Lots of the examples provided so far are great and are ones which I would have also said. But I was wondering if people have non-Jin Yong emotional moments to describe too. Thanks!
    Feel free to add anything! It can be an adaptation of a Gu Long/Liang Yusheng novel or just an ancient costume series?
    And all we need of hell.

Xie Xun thanks the young stranger who saved his life. Said stranger confesses his true identity. Xie Xun does not believe, having been deceived so many times in his life. Zhang Wuji recites all the lessons Xie Xun made him learn prior to leaving Fire Ice Island.

Yang Guo chases the setting sun. One of the most vivid scenes in wuxia, especially when he stands, unmoving, when the sun finally dips below the horizon.

3rd edition: Mie Jue tells the story of the strange rites of Emei, showing how much Guo Xiang missed Yang Guo, and how much her regret was corrupted by the time of Mie Jue's shifu.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Xie Xun thanks the young stranger who saved his life. Said stranger confesses his true identity. Xie Xun does not believe, having been deceived so many times in his life. Zhang Wuji recites all the lessons Xie Xun made him learn prior to leaving Fire Ice Island.

Yang Guo chases the setting sun. One of the most vivid scenes in wuxia, especially when he stands, unmoving, when the sun finally dips below the horizon.

3rd edition: Mie Jue tells the story of the strange rites of Emei, showing how much Guo Xiang missed Yang Guo, and how much her regret was corrupted by the time of Mie Jue's shifu.
    Indeed heartbreaking.
    I wonder whose love is more profound, YG love for XLN or GX love for YG?
    I'm thinking similar. "What is love...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Heroes come in all forms. In her own way, this simple peasant woman was as heroic as the son she raised. Would he be the hero he became without her influence? Doubtful.
    Tie Xue Dan Xin is perhaps the most epic theme song I've ever heard from any media, embodying heroism as per wuxia. And it's suitably placed in the early part of She Diao, where you have some of the greatest acts of heroism building up The Hero of the Trilogy, Guo Jing.The Freaks dedicated 18 years of their lives to a promise, without even Qiu Chuji's confidence that they'd be able to fulfill it. Li Ping's raising of her child in memory of her husband. Even Mei Chaofeng's attempt to make a mark on the martial world. Later in the story, we see the Greats, the undisputed pinnacles of the martial world. But IMHO as characters, they're much more flawed than the above, and much less worthy of the title of "hero".

Especially with the triumphant instrumental of Tie Xue Dan Xin, we see Guo Jing's rearing by Li Ping, the Freaks, and not least, Genghis. Culminating in a character that's far more heroic than any of that generation, and generations past and future.