Thread: Jinyong Characters and Musical Instruments as Weapons

Default Jinyong Characters and Musical Instruments as Weapons

I wonder if there are characters who use musical instruments as his/her weapon, which in turn make them more formidable?

Huang Yaoshi using a flute is an example.
    I think the powerful soundwaves make lesser opponents to become dazed or cause internal injury if exposed to the sound over time.

Didn't West Poison Au Yeung Fung play a stringed instrument of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Didn't West Poison Au Yeung Fung play a stringed instrument of some sort?
    I do not recall AYF playing a string instrument, but if he did, he could create some deafening sounds with his great internal.

I was watching SPW music videos with a character using a zither and another using a lute over the weekend, and this thread was the result.

Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    I do not recall AYF playing a string instrument, but if he did, he could create some deafening sounds with his great internal.

I was watching SPW music videos with a character using a zither and another using a lute over the weekend, and this thread was the result.
    While Au Yeung Fung did not customarily carry around a musical instrument for use as a weapon the way that Wong Yerk See did, I read somewhere that he did use one during the betrothal contest between his nephew/son Au Yeung Hak and Gwok Jing for Wong Yung's hand in marriage to counter Wong Yerk See's flute. Don't know how accurate that is, but apparently all of that senior generation of Greats had some musical ability and skill to translate music into martial arts, though none as adeptly as Wong Yerk See.

While Au Yeung Fung did not customarily carry around a musical instrument for use as a weapon the way that Wong Yerk See did, I read somewhere that he did use one during the betrothal contest between his nephew/son Au Yeung Hak and Gwok Jing for Wong Yung's hand in marriage to counter Wong Yerk See's flute. Don't know how accurate that is, but apparently all of that senior generation of Greats had some musical ability and skill to translate music into martial arts, though none as adeptly as Wong Yerk See.
    Great details. Yes HYS with the flute is iconic.
    I'm pretty sure musical instruments were used as some form of weapons in SPW or maybe it is just a TV thing.
    Without novel detail searching, maybe someone has knowledge about this

Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    Great details. Yes HYS with the flute is iconic.
    I'm pretty sure musical instruments were used as some form of weapons in SPW or maybe it is just a TV thing.
    Without novel detail searching, maybe someone has knowledge about this

yes, by one of the four friends in hangzhou, names Huangzhonggong, his primary weapon is zither, unfortunately he met Linghu chong who didnt have inner energy, so his special weapon and skill dont work at all

cmiiw, Yang Guo (or Li Mochou?) in the old edition (first edition) of novel used zither to attack, of course the instrument was not their primary weapon. but i need someone who reads the first edition of novel to confirm it

also Azhu used zither to attack Jiumozhi in the first edition, it seems absurd, no wonder Jin Yong revised it.
    Best Wuxia author of all time : master Jin Yong

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    yes, by one of the four friends in hangzhou, names Huangzhonggong, his primary weapon is zither, unfortunately he met Linghu chong who didnt have inner energy, so his special weapon and skill dont work at all

cmiiw, Yang Guo (or Li Mochou?) in the old edition (first edition) of novel used zither to attack, of course the instrument was not their primary weapon. but i need someone who reads the first edition of novel to confirm it

also Azhu used zither to attack Jiumozhi in the first edition, it seems absurd, no wonder Jin Yong revised it.
    Great examples from the novels.
    Interesting, the zither's melodies only cause internal energy damage to someone with internal energy?
    Maybe no effects or damage to Great-caliber opponents.
    Maybe to counter the zither's melody by roaring like RWX, YG, or the Golden Lion, Xie Xun

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

In general once a character gets to a certain level they can make any sound into a weapon, even their very voice can be used to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    In general once a character gets to a certain level they can make any sound into a weapon, even their very voice can be used to kill.
    The deadliest sound comes from the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    The Greats should have formed a band; they would have been a hit.

The Greats should have formed a band; they would have been a hit.
    Some musical gatherings of the Greats, where they showoff their musical/choreographic talents combined with their martial arts skills would be memorable for the novel.

Imaging YG with Sad Palms dance (breakdance)
    Or the Greats singing together.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post

YG play zither just for "fun" until LMC come and break 6 of 7 strings from the zither with her emotional love song then HYS using only 1 string try to kill LMC but failed due Sha Gu interruption..