Thread: Forcing Dugu qiubai to defend

Default Forcing Dugu qiubai to defend

I wonder if there is any character or characters from WuxiaMaster's Ultimate Ranks who has a chance to force the Demonic Swordsman to defend just once.
    What would happen if he was forced to defend even for once?

Since DGKB's offensive skills are legendary, Jinyong never mentioned about his defensive skillsets.
    I would wonder he developed his defensive skills during his first 30 years of his life before he became truely undefeatable.

===> Please mention the character and how he/she could force DGKB to be on the defensive.

===> Sources and credits to previous posters with similar threads:
    https://ultimatepopculture.fandom.com/wiki/Dugu_Qiubai

The Tomb of Swords
    Dugu Qiubai wrote about himself (this is what Yang Guo read at the Dugu's Tomb):

"Having roamed the martial arts world for more than thirty years, I have killed all my villainous foes and defeated all heroic champions, under Heaven there's no one who can be my equal. Without any other choice, I could only retreat and live in seclusion in this deep valley, with a condor as my companion. Alas, throughout my life I searched for a match in vain. Unbearable loneliness is my destiny. ~Demonic Swordman Dugu Qiubai"

In his Sword Tomb, it is stated:

"The Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai has become the invincible and unchallenged warrior under Heaven, he therefore buried his swords here. Alas, the heroes of the realm bowed down before me, now my long sword is of no use anymore... the agony!"

The first sword
    "(My First Sword) was so sharp, strong and fierce that none may withstand it. With this sword, I used to strive for mastery against all the heroes of the Northern Plains during my teenage years."
    The second sword
    "(My Second Sword) was violet in hue and flexible in movement. I used it in my twenties, and with it I mistakenly wounded righteous men. It turned out to be a Weapon of Doom which caused me endless remorse, so I cast it into a deep canyon."
    The third sword
    "(My Third Sword) was heavy and blunt. The uttermost cunning is based on simplicity. With it's help, I roamed the entire Empire under Heaven unopposed in my thirties."
    The fourth sword
    "After the age of forty, I am no longer hampered by any weaponry. Grass, trees, bamboos and rocks can all be my swords. Since then I have developed my skills even further, so that gradually I am becoming able to win the battle without reaching for arms."

I believe the only other character that was describe as been matchless was Murong Longcheng. So I say MLC can give DGKB a run for his money.

“到了五代末年,慕容氏中出了一位武學奇才慕容龍城,創出“斗轉星移”的高妙武功,當世無敵,名 揚天下。”
    (Chapter 40)

“At the end of the period of Five Dynasties, in the Murong family arose a martial arts prodigy, Murong Longcheng. He invented the formidable technique of “North Shifting Star”. He was matchless during his time and became renowned across the world.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    I believe the only other character that was describe as been matchless was Murong Longcheng. So I say MLC can give DGKB a run for his money.

(Chapter 40)

“At the end of the period of Five Dynasties, in the Murong family arose a martial arts prodigy, Murong Longcheng. He invented the formidable technique of “North Shifting Star”. He was matchless during his time and became renowned across the world.”
    Great details.
    After reading about the North Shifting Star technique, which in theory repels or redirects an opponent's strike or blow like QKDNY or Taijiquan.
    I think the arts is based on internal energy and uses it to repel or redirects a palm strike/kick.
    I don't think it works against weapons, especially when the weapon is infused with immense internal energy or against a sharp weapon attacking in an unpredictable way.

DGKB overall techniques are developed to counter and defeat all other techniques, including internal energy-based opponents.
    Therefore, I don't think Murong Longcheng could force Dugu to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    I don't think it works against weapons, especially when the weapon is infused with immense internal energy or against a sharp weapon attacking in an unpredictable way.
    This line needs to be changed.

"He was matchless during his time against opponents that didn't use a weapon.”

Honestly to me, matchless means exactly that, he was able to defect everybody and was clearly the strongest, regardless of what skill or weapon the opponent was using.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post

(Chapter 40)

I would vote for Xiaoyao Zi rather than Murong Longcheng since he is the master of Xiaoyao Elders which all of elders only inherited 1/3 of his martial arts prowess and skills yet they still very powerful during their era so Xiaoyao Zi must be 3x stronger than the elders..

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

I am voting for founder of Six Meridian Divine Swords. Literately a pure attacking, un-blockable martial arts that can only kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    I would vote for Xiaoyao Zi rather than Murong Longcheng since he is the master of Xiaoyao Elders which all of elders only inherited 1/3 of his martial arts prowess and skills yet they still very powerful during their era so Xiaoyao Zi must be 3x stronger than the elders..
    I thought of him too, but JY never described him as been matchless even though he might be. i find it strange that only 2 characters was described as being matchless, when their should have been more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    I am voting for founder of Six Meridian Divine Swords. Literately a pure attacking, un-blockable martial arts that can only kill.
    I wonder if MLC could reverse the chi sword hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    As we've seen in past cases, the creator is not always the best practitioner of the skill. It would be someone who has mastered the skill and ALSO has superior inner power.

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    If it was 1st Edition Xiaoyao Zi, I would rate XYZ even higher than Sweeper Monk himself.

The 1st edition Xiaoyao arts was crazy to the stage of sounding like Journey to the West power levels.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

What if pride and ego stopped Dook Goo Kau Bai from defending himself, even if he absolutely had to? Imagine he finally ran into an opponent not only superior to him, but far, far superior to him. He absolutely needs to defend himself to even have a chance of survival, but then he thinks, "I'm Dook Goo Kau Bai. I have never needed to use a defensive move, and I'm not starting now. If I die, I die..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    What if pride and ego stopped Dook Goo Kau Bai from defending himself, even if he absolutely had to? Imagine he finally ran into an opponent not only superior to him, but far, far superior to him. He absolutely needs to defend himself to even have a chance of survival, but then he thinks, "I'm Dook Goo Kau Bai. I have never needed to use a defensive move, and I'm not starting now. If I die, I die..."
    He would die happy knowing his found a worthy opponent.

Is it only one versus one? If not, then the ideal Lin Chaoying + Wang Chongyang combo using Lovers' Swordplay should at least make him dodge, as attacking one would automatically result in the other having a free hit.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Is it only one versus one? If not, then the ideal Lin Chaoying + Wang Chongyang combo using Lovers' Swordplay should at least make him dodge, as attacking one would automatically result in the other having a free hit.
    *raises hand and waves*

Me! Me! I know how the JY plot device would cop that one out!

DGKB will attack Wang's throat, forcing LCY to divert her strike into a block to save Wang's life.

There you go!

*can also insert smug remark about DG9J always targets the weakness and the flaw in Lovers Swordplay is the mutual love between the couple*
    Last edited by CC; 07-21-21 at 11:25 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Further thoughts:
    I wonder how Dugu qiubai never defended even just once, especially against highly-skilled chi users like Solitary finger/6MDS.

Did he just use offensive sword stances or sword chi to counter the chi users' chi energy, without the need to defend or evade?