Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dook Goo Kau Bai runs the Gu Long swordsman gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Seriously. In the Jin Yong universe, there were only three truly elite swordsmen: Dook Goo Kau Bai himself, Fung Ching Yeung, and Ling Wu Chung. Everybody else was kind of just...good at using swords (there's a difference). Most of Jin Yong's elites were palm-user types.
    DFBB would be an elite swordsman. He just didn't have a sword with him at the fight with RWX, LHC, XWT. Or maybe he was just too cocky to go grab a sword.

In any case, he's definitely not a primary palm user. And he's a true elite.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    DFBB would be an elite swordsman. He just didn't have a sword with him at the fight with RWX, LHC, XWT. Or maybe he was just too cocky to go grab a sword.

In any case, he's definitely not a primary palm user. And he's a true elite.
    Can also add Lin Yuantao & DY as 6 meridian sword is also a sword skill 😀

Even if he takes them one at a time, will attrition cause him to eventually fall to one of them later down the line?
    I agree with CC, these guys are super sword nerds, attrition would not be a factor. XMCX for example would never lower himself to fighting someone who was tired (he regretted killing Dugu Yihe in that exact situation, when he later found out the man had just been in a fight). Yan 13 literally saved Xie Xiaofeng’s life so they could have a “proper” duel! The only one who might lower himself in such a manner would be Ye Gucheng, but I think there is no way he could beat DGQB regardless... even the early stage XMCX pointed out that he was insufficiently sincere to the sword.

I feel that the two who have the best chance of beating him are Yan 13 and Ding Pang (and poooossibly late Sword God stage XMCX). DGQB was very much an almost supernatural, superhuman figure in the Jinyong methos, and you need a superhuman to match him. Yan 13’s sword was described literally as death, as you may recall - not metaphorically, but literally, which the author took pains to play straight and seriously. Ding Pang, in turn, was an almost fanfic-like character who supposedly surpassed everyone else including Yan 13, and as we all know Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters never lose.

Yan 13 would probably result in a double KO, whereas Ding Pang would win by retconning DGQB to be weaker (only partially joking).

As for LXH? I’d see a stalemate there.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 07-23-21 at 04:43 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

How good was DP and where would he be ranked in GL universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I agree with CC, these guys are super sword nerds, attrition would not be a factor. XMCX for example would never lower himself to fighting someone who was tired (he regretted killing Dugu Yihe in that exact situation, when he later found out the man had just been in a fight). Yan 13 literally saved Xie Xiaofeng’s life so they could have a “proper” duel! The only one who might lower himself in such a manner would be Ye Gucheng, but I think there is no way he could beat DGQB regardless... even the early stage XMCX pointed out that he was insufficiently sincere to the sword.

I feel that the two who have the best chance of beating him are Yan 13 and Ding Pang (and poooossibly late Sword God stage XMCX). DGQB was very much an almost supernatural, superhuman figure in the Jinyong methos, and you need a superhuman to match him. Yan 13’s sword was described literally as death, as you may recall - not metaphorically, but literally, which the author took pains to play straight and seriously. Ding Pang, in turn, was an almost fanfic-like character who supposedly surpassed everyone else including Yan 13, and as we all know Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters never lose.

Yan 13 would probably result in a double KO, whereas Ding Pang would win by retconning DGQB to be weaker (only partially joking).

I wonder how DGKB's swordless stage would be like.
    Maybe using chi/internal energy to send out invisible sword energy controlled by his thoughts.

This is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    Can also add Lin Yuantao & DY as 6 meridian sword is also a sword skill 😀
    I'm on the fence with 6 Mak Divine Swords. Despite the name, there's nothing particularly swordlike about it.

I'm on the fence with 6 Mak Divine Swords. Despite the name, there's nothing particularly swordlike about it.
    How was it described in the novel?

I thought it was a chi sword and the user could swing it around like it was a physical sword?

How was it described in the novel?

I thought it was a chi sword and the user could swing it around like it was a physical sword?
    Right, but there's no sword moves (剑法), not even surprising positions like LHC's DG9J. It's almost like Duan Yu just swings it around randomly but because it's so fast, you can't really block it with the edge of your sword, and there's potentially 6 of them coming at you, it doesn't matter if there's a "jianfa" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    Right, but there's no sword moves (剑法), not even surprising positions like LHC's DG9J. It's almost like Duan Yu just swings it around randomly but because it's so fast, you can't really block it with the edge of your sword, and there's potentially 6 of them coming at you, it doesn't matter if there's a "jianfa" or not.
    Actually, the novel stated that there is indeed a sword technique/moves to it.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Actually, the novel stated that there is indeed a sword technique/moves to it.
    Is it the case that there is techniques/moves but just DY never learnt it?

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Is it the case that there is techniques/moves but just DY never learnt it?
    From my understanding 6MDS is the very essence of swordsmanship, condensing swordplay down to formless sharpness unleashed as 6 unstoppable attacks which represent the most basic sword strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    From my understanding 6MDS is the very essence of swordsmanship, condensing swordplay down to formless sharpness unleashed as 6 unstoppable attacks which represent the most basic sword strikes.
    Somehow i feel 6MDS is a higher level than DG9J. Like DGKB reach the swordless stage, but the ability to create chi swords seems like a much higher feat & DGKB isn't able to do.

Seriously. In the Jin Yong universe, there were only three truly elite swordsmen: Dook Goo Kau Bai himself, Fung Ching Yeung, and Ling Wu Chung. Everybody else was kind of just...good at using swords (there's a difference). Most of Jin Yong's elites were palm-user types.
    Not completely (80% true)

Dongfang Bu Bai
    Di Yun
    Lin Yuantu
    Ding Dian
    Last edited by reydge; 07-24-21 at 12:44 PM.

Somehow i feel 6MDS is a higher level than DG9J. Like DGKB reach the swordless stage, but the ability to create chi swords seems like a much higher feat & DGKB isn't able to do.
    There is an inbuilt problem here.

JY wrote and created 6MSJ and DGKB before he wrote SOD and came up with DG9J and his 'real elites are formless and dont use stances' plotline for SOD.

I highly doubt that when he came up with DG9J, he intended it to be a higher form than all his previous top-dog arts and masters.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    There is an inbuilt problem here.

JY wrote and created 6MSJ and DGKB before he wrote SOD and came up with DG9J and his 'real elites are formless and dont use stances' plotline for SOD.

I highly doubt that when he came up with DG9J, he intended it to be a higher form than all his previous top-dog arts and masters.
    Although DG9J highest form is formless, it is probably not a higher overall martial arts compared to 6MSJ and DGKB's higher art forms like the HIS, wooden sword, and swordless stage.
    Jinyong probably wanted to showcase DGKB's first sword stage to emphasize that one come reach elite level (in SPW's standard) using profound swordmanship without the need of very high internal energy.