Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Flying Fox/Fei Hu Wai Zhuan 飞狐外传 (2022)

Default Side Story of Fox Volant/Fei Hu Wai Zhuan 飞狐外传 (2022)

Based on Jin Yong's less popular novel 飞狐外传 (from Book and Swords trilogy). Story is about the growth of main character Hu Fei in Jianghu from a young boy to a chivalrous martial arts hero and his bittersweet love with two women. Unliike previous adaptations, this is the first time 飞狐外传 is filmed independently without the copyright of sister novel 雪山飛狐.

Side Story of Fox Volant (Fei Hu Wai Zhuan) had finished 4 months of filming on 26th July. The three main leads Qin Jun Jie, Liang Jie and Xing Fei had a wuxia themed photoshoot with Esquire China to mark the end of filming.
    Official weibo: https://m.weibo.cn/u/7578674166

Main Roles:
    Qin Jun Jie as Hu Fei/Hu Yidao
    Liang Jie as Yuan Ziyi
    Xing Fei as Cheng Lingsu

Other Key Roles:
    Lin Yu Shen as Miao Renfeng
    Peter Ho as Tian Guinong
    Ye Xiang Ming as Fu Kang'an
    Huang Meng Ying as Nan Lan
    Li Yifeng as Shang Bao Zhen
    Karina Hai Ling as Ma Chunhua

I have no expectation for this one as these days no one can make great classic wuxia anymore let alone a Jin Yong work and I am not familiar with the casts. I know Liang Jie and Xing Fei are quite popular in idol dramas, although still not as popular than Zhao Lusi or Yangzi for example
    Last edited by Cleopatra95; 08-24-22 at 08:19 PM.

list of upcoming Classic/Traditional Wuxia:
    1. Heroes
    2. The Young Fox 2022
    3. movie the flying fox

upcoming BL-theme Wuxia:
    1. Heaven's Official Blessing
    2. The Story of the Bat

MIN (missing in news)
    1. DGSD
    2. ROCH

what else?

Anyone hear what happen to this one? Another shelved project?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra95 View Post
    Anyone hear what happen to this one? Another shelved project?
    they just released the new poster and tencent has put it to upcoming release,
    but the movie version is coming first

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjGqtx0FHa71Z8cpgCT4rikWlf0D1GLKh-vcCSRfQf0bxuCIqRDK5al6hVXEgZKghl_DTFgyhapQ3WDBv_te 1CGPoQ3Z1TAveqYUGoBOB5E6qw2wsE47eKDZ0-U_vUQe1K7PnR2SwcS7ll-mCBEBS-WIpmGLqXv2A_V-Hfj7b_b5QXRM6SEdH4ejNPi/s1707/the%20hidden%20fox%202022.jpg')
    Best Wuxia author of all time : master Jin Yong

Official Poster
    Attachment 10388

Coming soon
    the young flying fox 2022

Trailer:

Trailer with eng sub by WeTV:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1562001699295768576

The drama will premiere on WeTV on 31st August

Got new trailer
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl0v0SIj-fw

Quote Originally Posted by Cleopatra95 View Post
    The drama will premiere on WeTV on 31st August

Got new trailer
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl0v0SIj-fw
    With IQIYI Eng Sub
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQ-etIKVGY

the fight scene looks promising

It's out! The first four episodes are on this website (the latter two of them only with VIP):
    https://wetv.vip/en/play/nqmlz8l1mah...-Of-Fox-Volant

So far I'm quite enjoying it. To me, the acting is good enough, the costumes, architecture and interior design seem accurate for the 18th century, and the music is phenomenal.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    They also played an instrumental version of 追梦人 Zhui Meng Ren, the theme of the old Flying Fox adaptation, which was a pleasant surprise.
    The cinematography seems a bit pretentiously over-artistic, but the fight scenes are well choreographed. I'm enjoying the plot even though it's a bit confusing; I can't judge as to how close it is to the novel, not having read it yet. Maybe someone who's read it can give their thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by shǎ gēge View Post
    It's out! The first four episodes are on this website (the latter two of them only with VIP):
    https://wetv.vip/en/play/nqmlz8l1mah...-Of-Fox-Volant

So far I'm quite enjoying it. To me, the acting is good enough, the costumes, architecture and interior design seem accurate for the 18th century, and the music is phenomenal.
    They also played an instrumental version of 追梦人 Zhui Meng Ren, the theme of the old Flying Fox adaptation, which was a pleasant surprise.
    The cinematography seems a bit pretentiously over-artistic, but the fight scenes are well choreographed. I'm enjoying the plot even though it's a bit confusing; I can't judge as to how close it is to the novel, not having read it yet. Maybe someone who's read it can give their thoughts?
    I'm enjoying this too so far! I hope latter episodes won't fell down please....

I actually like the pretentiously artistic cinematography haha, one that make an impression on me is the shots of Miao Renfeng galloping on the snow in episode four and him getting into the inn, very pretentiously artistic but I love the wuxianess of the shots if anyone understands..but I dislike the fake overly saturated color of Ma Chunhua+Fu Kangan's grassland

I'm caught up to episode 6 now (they're coming out pretty fast, oh my!), and I must say the cinematography has grown on me. Episodes 5 and 6 were crazy good, I really like the adult Hu Fei as well as Yuan Ziyi, and their chemistry is just off the charts. Yuan Ziyi is such a great female lead character with a lot of agency, and not taking anyone's crap. Love how Hu Fei called her (them?) 'brother' at some point - even tough it's probably not supposed to be genderfluid or non-binary representation or anything like that, it's still amazing to see characters in shows based on these older novels not conforming to gender norms.
    Also, really enjoying Miao Renfeng as a character, his actor does a good job.
    All in all so far this is some of the best Wuxia in a while (or maybe I just haven't been keeping up). Good balance between fight scenes, plot, politics, romance, comedy etc. Also some pretty horrifying gore, which I wasn't expecting, but why not.

I'll agree that the color in some of the more romance-centered scenes is way over saturated. And just the whole bit with Chunhua and Fu Kang'an is just really icky because of how young Chunhua is made out to be - I'm not sure if it's explicitly stated, but it seems clear that she's underage. But then again, I'm guessing that was the intention, that scene was probably supposed to be icky and establish Fu Kang'an as a creep. That scene (beginning of episode 3 I believe) was probably my least favorite bit of the show so far personally. But we'll see where it goes. That's just a minor gripe tho, overall I'm very hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by shǎ gēge View Post
    Love how Hu Fei called her (them?) 'brother' at some point - even tough it's probably not supposed to be genderfluid or non-binary representation or anything like that, it's still amazing to see characters in shows based on these older novels not conforming to gender norms.
    It is a thing in Chinese culture. I was going to say common but it is not, but happens regularly enough. It is used to imply gender-neutrality, in this case it was him regarding her as an equal, ignoring the gender inequality in Chinese culture (such as women being the fairer sex, and the traditional/cultural expectations f the role). Another example would be a woman being referred to as 爷 ye as a sign of respect. For example, referring to a lady as dage instead of dajie still conveys respect but with different nuances.

Some of the lines have a more modern take to them, probably to appeal to the audience instead of using the stiffer form of
    WuxiaSociety Forum
    Wuxia translations on WuxiaSociety

We are looking for translators. Contact us if you are interested.

I'm enjoying this so far, too bad only 12 episodes released so far and need to wait till Wednesday for update.

So far so good, what a pity this drama is not popular enough. The production team does feel like they want to produce a good wuxia drama, the cinematography, picture quality, music, acting, set design, action sequences are good all around, I thought it was just another low cost Hengdian studio drama before, but it's more than I thought. This drama is also not afraid to show gore, r*pe, violence, cruelty, and shady corrupted higher up officials among all.

Some netizens out there said Yuan Ziyi's character has been improved from the original version to be more likeable, I do feel she is heroic so far and another female character Nan Lan has also been *whitewashed* to not be as despicable as what Jin Yong wrote, but the emotional line between her and Miao Ren Feng still make my blood boil a bit lol.

The fights are fantastic, especially ep 21 to 22.

Amazing fights overall, yes episode 21 to 22 fights are phenomenal and episode 22 lengthy fight between the two male leads have a sad feeling too with the flashbacks in between. I can feel for both Miao renfeng and Hu fei. Great job there with the acting and action sequence, nice music and editing

***Miao renfeng is so handsome not his face but his overall screen presence, I haven't feel this kind of heroic temperament lately, I didn't watch Wen Kexing in Word of Honor but I heard WKX was handsome too
    Last edited by Cleopatra95; 09-18-22 at 11:09 PM.

Why is nobody watching this haha I'm up to episode 36 and although there are loopholes if you scrutinize too much it's really good, all the cast perform well and the fight choreography is among the best in recent years. On the emotional side the three young main leads triangle is quite well written and on the elder side Peter Ho riled my blood up when he was hurting Miao Renfeng hahaha.

I still stand that the fight between Hu Fei and Miao Ren Feng still the best so far in 22nd episode, the short clips below don't do it justice

wetv version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ysijOCEdoQ
    fan cut version(twitter): https://twitter.com/i/status/1570522674904039424
    Last edited by Cleopatra95; 10-04-22 at 12:14 AM.

Overall the fight scenes were good. The final fight scene between MRF and TGN was very well done too. The guy who played MRF is truly an awesome actor. He was YX in the last HSDS adaptation.

Just that it felt kinda odd that HF lived by himself taking care of little MRL. Would have been nice if HF had MRL as his soulmate.