Thread: DGKB wasn't a believer in sword sheathes, was he?

Default DGKB wasn't a believer in sword sheathes, was he?

When the Divine Condor brought Yeung Gor to the Tomb of Swords for the first time, Yeung Gor saw four swords on display...none of them sheathed, and no sheathes evident in the vicinity.

It appears that the Sword Demon was not a believer in sheathes. That, of course, is different from 99.9% of wuxia swordsmen. The only other swordsman in wuxia I can think of who eschews a sheathe is Ah Fei from Gu Long's LEE'S FLYING DAGGER stories.

Perhaps Dook Goo Kau Bai found sheathes to be an unnecessary encumbrance?

“When in a fight to the death, one wants to employ all one's weapons to the utmost. I must say that to die with one's sword still sheathed is most regrettable.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Yes, who needs a sheath, especially during a duel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    “When in a fight to the death, one wants to employ all one's weapons to the utmost. I must say that to die with one's sword still sheathed is most regrettable.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Yes, who needs a sheath, especially during a duel?
    Some swordsmen use the sheathes as a secondary weapon or defensive shield, but such methods do not fit DGKB's style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Some swordsmen use the sheathes as a secondary weapon or defensive shield, but such methods do not fit DGKB's style.
    Yes, to my knowledge, Musashi used 2 swords (Niten Ichi-ryū): no sheath in battle.

Was Heavy Iron Sword even sharp (certainly a Wooden Sword isn't)? I always imagined Yang Guo using HIS like a club/cudgel against an opponent. Is that really swordmanship?
    Last edited by Dirt; 08-29-21 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Yes, to my knowledge, Musashi used 2 swords (Niten Ichi-ryū): no sheath in battle.

Was Heavy Iron Sword even sharp (certainly a Wooden Sword isn't)? I always imagined Yang Guo using HIS like a club/cudgel against an opponent. Is that really swordmanship?
    It seemed to work much more like a blunt than a sharp. It was more for battering than for cutting/impaling. It too did not come with a sheathe, though perhaps Yeung Gor acquired one for it later.

Based on 1st edition YG use Hero Sword sheathed for sheathing Purple Sword..