Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Off-topic mania

Originally posted by Ganryu

as for the relationships forum, i think the main problem was people treated the relationship forum as reality. people were actually falling in love with someone on the net without even knowing the person! That is totally ridiculous.... I think spc should have followed soompi's format and had a relationship forum for 18+. because believe it or not, sex is an important part of relationships. relationships are a fundamental aspect of human nature and communities. our society is built by friendships, alliances, and how we interact with other people. if u want to supress the social aspects of human nature and only want the forum to talk about tv series, then u should take away the general comments, open debate, and video game forums as well.

18+? So like, you want Spcnet to make a page where it says, "of you're not 18 click here" & "if you're 18, please enter". Tisk tisk. I always thought Spcnet.tv was a place for TV Serials, it's turned itself to some- I dunno! I just think that there are kids in here, god my lil' sister GOES in here to read translations or reviews. I don't want her to see or read any sex stuff & I think as a older sibling, not every other sibs want thier lil' siblings to read such things.

Ganryu, the net is like a fantasy world & people don't realized that cuz on the net world you can be what you wanna be. Some people don't comprehend that & they think it's real. You can't blame them for not knowing. I think Spcnet is doing this for the overall.

misao,

yea pretty much. one way to see if society will run under a certain circumstance (in this case, the rela forum) is to see how another society (with much more users) is coping with that circumstance. so in this case, soompi has that feature.

but u see if u taken any society/social courses, whether u build up a community u will always build up friendships and interaction. so its natural for the human species to venture out of the original purpose (tv series in this case). as soon as u stop talking about everything else other than tv series, then u stop the growth of the community.

misao,

yea pretty much. one way to see if society will run under a certain circumstance (in this case, the rela forum) is to see how another society (with much more users) is coping with that circumstance. so in this case, soompi has that feature.

but u see if u taken any society/social courses, whether u build up a community u will always build up friendships and interaction. so its natural for the human species to venture out of the original purpose (tv series in this case). as soon as u stop talking about everything else other than tv series, then u stop the growth of the community.

I agree with you Ganryu, believe me I do... but it's just that there's a big age differences on Spcnet, please consider that.

Originally posted by Yon
    About the sex, I still think it is wrong to see some teeager flirting with older guys in the forum and talking about some sexual things. Like I said.. about the sex issue, as SC made it clear, this site isn't about relationship. It is more about Wu Xia and TV series.
    yon,
    you are right. it's definately wrong for teenage girls to flirt with older guys. these girls are out of line; they shouldn't try to get the guys in trouble. people have to understand that nowadays young people ages btw 14-18 are more corrupted than those btw 21-30.

luckily, we have sc, who's like the US founding fathers. they are very smart people. the fathers created the constitution; sc added the NO SEX talks rule. both aim to protect the MINORITIES and NOT the MAJORITY. on spcnet, teenagers are the majority while the 20+ are the minority.

yeah those troublesome teenage girls that try to flirt with older mature guys

Being cynical here, is it reasonable to expect spammers to contribute to the solution of spamming here?

My thought on the 18+ thing is that it won't work. If it's merely a link, anyone can chose to continue. If it's a tell me your age and i'll let you through thing, anyone can lie about their age. And besides, the whole censor for a minor thing is needed, but no one can argue with the fact that there are minors out there who are more mature than adults. What do we do then?

SPC being such a diverse place, SC has to make sure that it's made suitable for all people to participate. Can anyone blame her for that?

And I'm not going to comment on the rest...the poor topic's been beaten to death, revived, and trampled on again.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

tina,

The best way is to see how other forums are coping with it. The Gaming Age forum is a forum dedicated to talking about gaming but they also have an off-topic forum where members can freely talk about stuff they want to. the purpose of the off-topic is to build a stronger online community where ppl can interact with their online 'friends' through anything other than gaming.

I'm fine with off-topic. Goodness knows I do it. *points Drew in the direction of Alec thread*

What I'm annoyed at is Spam.

But as I said, I won't beat the topic any further.

Case closed.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

Talking

You four or five people complain and complain about the forum but you notice there's a new member joining this forum almost everyday. This forum has survived for over two years, if it's going to the graveyard, it wouldn't even survive a year or more than 10 months.

People don't dare voice their opinions? Are you saying that all these members are cowards that can't speak up for themselves that you have to speak on behalf of them? That's a load of BS.

We encourage all to voice their opinions, ideas, suggestions to make this forum better. If we did not allow that you all would be ban the first time you posted complaints.

Nazi Forum? You say we can have rules but we have to be more lenient about things.

Just what rules and guidelines do you not like? And what rules can we have? Who should make the rules and guidelines? Why do we have rules and guidelines at all?

Do you think everyone will always agree to rules and guidelines without complaint. Every person has different opinions, codes of conduct, and etc, not everyone can see eye to eye on everything. I'd like to see your set of rules and guidelines.

Some rules and guidelines are suppose to be strict and hard, otherwise it wouldn't be rules and guidelines, it would just be words people have there for decoration.

We don't allow sex talks, this site isn't about sex or flirting, all those teenagers can be influence with all those adult situation inuedos outside of the forum, but SC has made it clear that we do not want to condone and promote it. There are probably hundreds of places where they can just talk about sex, relationships and whatever, you don't have to talk about it here. This forum isn't the only forum in the internet, if SC doesn't want it in her forum, why do you have to make a big fuss on that.

I'm saying this not because I'm part of the moderating team, but I think the majority here enjoy their time here, that's why they come back, every week, some everyday and even every few hours. And there are new members almost everyday. I repeat, if SC was doing something wrong, the forum would have died out 2-3 years ago and wouldn't have survived and lived till this day.

Even members like Jay_Z, Ganryu, Mike Liu and others who sometimes cause "ripples in the lake", in some way they're addicted to coming to the forum, but they just don't want to admit it.

Shoot, you can go and open a poll and see the members' opinions on the maintainence of this site and forum. If you think we're doing such a poor job on maintaining this forum.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    Even members like Jay_Z, Ganryu, Mike Liu and others who sometimes cause "ripples in the lake", in some way they're addicted to coming to the forum, but they just don't want to admit it.
    NEVER NEVER NEVER! I AM addicted I will not lie. I be the bum of spcnet!

I, for one, is totally against spamming. In the past, it has gotten so bad that I just stop reading a particular thread because people are using it as a chatroom. Now, the thread may have gone back on-topic at some point but I wouldn't know for sure because I no longer check it. So I guess this is what a lot of the anti-spamming people are trying to convey. Once a thread have been spammed enough, even if it does make it way back on-topic, it have already lost a lot of it's viewers. So the best option is not to spam at all.

However, I'm also seeing that more and more threads are being close down. I know the Relationship forum was shut down because of a lot of spamming and hurt feelings. But to just totally ignore everything dealing with relationship is kinda harsh IMO. I personally feel that relationship thread should be allow as long as it doesn't turn into some kind of sex topic or crude remarks. Once it does reach that point, close the thread, send out warning, and if the users repeat, ban his/her sorry butt.

I've pretty much kept silent in most of this ordeal (and every other infamous incidents that happen on this forum). But for some reason, I felt the urge to reply to this one.
    Last edited by CrazyT; 09-09-03 at 01:31 AM.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

Originally posted by CrazyT
    I, for one, is totally against spamming. In the past, it has gotten so bad that I just stop reading a particular thread because people are using it as a chatroom. Now, the thread may have gone back on-topic at some point but I wouldn't know for sure because I no longer check it. So I guess this is what a lot of the anti-spamming people are trying to convey. Once a thread have been spammed enough, even if it does make it way back on-topic, it have already lost a lot of it's viewers. So the best option is not to spam at all.

YES, crazyT. You are so right. Goodness, I hate the freaking spams these past weeks. I don't even bother to visit the forum anymore because of the massive amounts of spam. It's very frustrating. I can't read any threads decently without encountering spams by the second page or something. I don't want to name names either but I do feel some members need a whack on their heads for all the spamming.

originally posted by TristeCoeurPersonally I can't stand the spam in various forums on Spcnet in recent weeks, and I don't even have to deal with them like the mods do. You usually have a small group of members who just like to "have fun". They jump into any thread they see, start with a few jokes or "witty" comments, then use the thread to chat to each other. It is very annoying and extremely rude to other participants.
    YES YES YES.

Originally posted by Mike Liu This is a truly multi-lingual community. Mandarin, Taiwanese, Singaporian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, and English are just some of the languages/cultures this site caters to.
    It is SingapoREAN, Dr. Evil.

Please do something about the spam. Arg.
    Your panties are on too tight.

Originally posted by cheek
    Please do something about the spam. Arg.
    We're trying, cheek But I'm really glad SC and the mods have the support of members to weed out spam. It's really very frustrating indeed to see threads and decent discussions hijacked by useless, stupid spamming. I think with concerted effort, we can weed out spam!

People just need to exercise self-restraint. How difficult can it be?
    玉木宏

blog

Hi all,

Ouah, I miss so many interesting debate here.... anyway....

about Mari Kita Bicara, I can assure you that up to 6 threads, I never saw anything inappropriate (except we are making fun of WuTang, of course). It is definitely an active topic: maybe we only have around 20 active members there, but it is mainly because taht is all Indonesian population here (am quite inactive at this moment). And if any of you need any translation, we always happy to do that.

and oh, maybe the mod can make a pact to delete it after certain pages (40?) to save the space? we would not mind... just discuss it first, ok?

edit: yon, sorry for that bad person!!!!!! too bad i dont have internet connection these days, so i cant translate too much of MKB.

also guys, am very proud of you! chouette!!!! (this is NOT indonesian; okie)
    Last edited by Floo..; 09-09-03 at 05:25 AM.
    back w/ a vengeance ^_^

Me Global Sapien. Quest: Take pictures of Spiderman

Originally posted by junny
    We're trying, cheek But I'm really glad SC and the mods have the support of members to weed out spam. It's really very frustrating indeed to see threads and decent discussions hijacked by useless, stupid spamming. I think with concerted effort, we can weed out spam!

People just need to exercise self-restraint. How difficult can it be?
    True! A couple of posts is ok but if spam runs for pages, I find it a problem.

I know you guys are trying. In the meantime, I shall remain calm. *laughs* You don't need concerted effort to weed out spam. Just make me moderator and I go after the spammers.

I think the MKB thread is alright. I don't understand the language myself but MANY members participate in that thread.
    Your panties are on too tight.

So is there a difference between going off-topics and spamming? Or are they the same? Or does everyone have different opinions on that?
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

ok, so i'm sorta addicted to spc... maybe its a habit

what do people think of my suggestion about introducing a chat room in spc so that we can minimize the spam/socializing in the forums?

Originally posted by expression
    So is there a difference between going off-topics and spamming? Or are they the same? Or does everyone have different opinions on that?
    You're da judge. Aren't you supposed to know everything?

what do people think of my suggestion about introducing a chat room in spc so that we can minimize the spam/socializing in the forums?
    Sounds like a good idea, except it'll be an even bigger nightmare to moderate. I've seen sites do this, and then after 6 months, the admin shuts it down due to complaints of harassment, vulgarity, flooding, etc.

So maybe doing the chat off-site would be best. Maybe an IRC room, AIM chat room, or whatever.

why do u even have to moderate it?
    in most cases, people behave here.... and for chat u dont even have to keep the history..... its just real-time talking...

in any case, members of spc have already chatted on AIM or MSN chatrooms with 5-10 ppl..... won't it just be cooler to have a more organized chatroom from the spc site?