Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why sc should reopen the relationship forum?

Default why sc should reopen the relationship forum?

deleted
    Last edited by jay_z; 09-13-03 at 02:28 AM.

The closure of the forum was a decision that came after careful evaluation. The board was supposed to be a friendly place, but it created hostilities, inappropriate topics, and fights. Closing the forum was a last resort.

SC has a thread explaining the reason for the board's closure. You can find it here: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...&threadid=2892
    "The gentlemen first practices what he preaches and then preaches what he practices." - Confucius

I for one think it should make a comeback... well maybe not a comeback, but at least allow for relationship-type topics in the GC area. I mean, to me, I sometimes feel dumbfounded when I see legitimate relationship topics get closed. Normally, topic closures are reserverd only for really inappropriate (abusive, sexual, illegal, pointless, duplicate) topics. Most of the ones I see getting closed these days sound like normal, everyday kinda subjects people talk about.

I know in the past some people have gotten hurt/insulted from the Relationship forum, but why should every other Spcnet member suffer because of the inappropriate acts of a few? That's like saying we should ban all cars because a few joyriders decided to go out on a rampage, running over everyone in sight.

I think allowing for relationship topics is ok. As long as there are clear guidelines for the moderators to act pre-emptively before things get out of hand, why not?

Relationships is what society's all about. The Spcnet forum is a "community". It's all about relationships.

Thank you for speaking up Mike Liu with nice manner! (you get Granny's Brownie point there)

Yon

would like to hear more opinions from people.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Cool

somehow, I thought spcnet forum is more focused on tv series???

Then again, there have been guidelines before but not many posters did pay much attention.

If the forum were to be reopened with stricter rules and more moderating, posters would not be happy anyway. There would sure be complaint about freedom and whatnot....

Just from Devil's devocate's point of view..
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

Relationships should have stricker rules and monitor (I understand extra works for the mods) than hopefully it will make the spamming lesser in General Comment.

just my 2 cents.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Cool

I am not trying to be annoying or anything - just in a mood of debate.

I think general comment forum has increment in spamming just only relationship forum is closed. So, even the rela forum is reopened, spamming would still continue and more.
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

Originally posted by Goofy
    somehow, I thought spcnet forum is more focused on tv series???
    If SPCNET is more focused on TV Series, then why would we need Sports Talk,movies and Academia ?

Originally posted by Spirit of Honour
    The closure of the forum was a decision that came after careful evaluation. The board was supposed to be a friendly place, but it created hostilities, inappropriate topics, and fights. Closing the forum was a last resort.
    What other efforts were made prior to closure 'as last resort'?

Was there any polling of opinions? Any mention of desire of its closure?

If there was not, then how did admin and moderators assume that the spcnet'ers wished it closed?

Originally posted by Azalae

If there was not, then how did admin and moderators assume that the spcnet'ers wished it closed?
    You have to understand that SC had given the Relationships Forum many chances, but most of what surfaced was fights between members and inappropriate topics that were too mature for the underaged.

So in the end, SC came to all the moderators and asked us for our opinion and we voted.

If a forum that mostly (not always) cause trouble and fights between members, do you think SC should've just stood around while that happened to the forum?

The closing of the Relationships Forum was for the benefits of peace for the forum and everyone.

The Relationship forum is Gone, everyone just has to accept the fact that it's gone. Okay? End of story.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

No, I didn't ask other members--aside from moderators--for their opinion on this one because this was something I felt that I should make a decision on for the direction of the forum. My reasons were (to sound like a broken record now) mainly that I didn't want the forum and site associated as a place to flirt.

Mike: Initially I only wanted to discourage several members from turning all the relationships threads in General Comments into trashy sex talks by closing Relationships topics and then loosen up once that general impression left behind from the Relationships forum is rid of.

I'm also iffy about whether we should allow those talks at all. Perhaps I'll concede if all the members will agree not to turn the General Comments forum into another Relationships forum by creating too many threads that are in that topic. And that there are no complaints when we close/delete topics that turn inappropriate--gee, then some members will bring up that whole freedom of speech thing again.
    -SC

Maybe stricter guidelines are needed. If someone makes an inappropriate topic/reply, PM them with a warning. Give them a few chance. If they still don't listen, then ban them.

Originally posted by spcnet

I'm also iffy about whether we should allow those talks at all. Perhaps I'll concede if all the members will agree not to turn the General Comments forum into another Relationships forum by creating too many threads that are in that topic. And that there are no complaints when we close/delete topics that turn inappropriate--gee, then some members will bring up that whole freedom of speech thing again.
    Hmm why don't you just close all those non-related forum and just leave the production forum. But then again...people will go in the tvb section or other section and still talk about relationship if they desire. But then again...you can ban all of them. But then some might grow hatred and try to hack and send virus to the website lol. Then all hell break loose.

Ok I'm talking non sense.
    I’m beggin you please, give us one more try
    You know we were so good together
    Girl I need a kiss
    Not a kiss goodbye
    A memory, now and ’til forever

What can't you just delete only those offending posts? Why do you have to delete/close the whole thread and even the forum?

Closing the thread is not the answer. People can still read the post. Removing the thread will upset others who had nothing wrong and still wanted it to continue. If they still insist on creating disturbance then harsh punishment might be in order.

Unfortunately you approach here: if there's a trouble, close the factory.

The 'delete post' button is there for a reason you know.

BTW, I'm not trying to beg for reopening of 'Relationships', just stating my disagreement on how you 'fix' problems.

What can't you just delete only those offending posts? Why do you have to delete/close the whole thread and even the forum?

Closing the thread is not the answer. People can still read the post. Removing the thread will upset others who had nothing wrong and still wanted it to continue. If they still insist on creating disturbance then harsh punishment might be in order.

BTW, I'm not trying to beg for reopening of 'Relationships', just stating my disagreement on how you 'fix' problems.
    Question: what if all the posts become offensive? Frankly, we don't have all the time to read all posts, not to mention going through each and everyone to check for offensiveness.

And everyone's definition of "offensive" is different. Personally, I have a high tolerance, therefore I don't care.

Harsh punishment. The harshest punishment is a ban, and a ban can be bypassed since it only pans the IP number. We have problems of banned users coming back. You just may not notice.

If you didn't notice, all threads in the Relationship forum started going down the drain. Regardless of the discussion when it was opened, after a while, it all deteriorated into discussions on sex and whatnot. And as I have said elsewhere, despite the fact that most of us are corrupted nowadays, SC has to take into the consideration that there are minor heres that make those topics inappropriate.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]

If you are speaking your case for the Relationships forum, then please just read my reason above. The decision is final, so I don't want to reiterate anymore.

If you are speaking about deleting threads in general, then no, I don't think only deleting posts is a very feasible option. It is more sensitive than deleting a whole thread because then many more members will start questioning the judgement of moderators on why their posts were deleted. So unless members want us to be monitoring all posts and be nitpicking about what gets deleted and what does not, it won't happen. Frankly speaking too, I don't think any forum does that.
    -SC

I was talking in general. I am not asking 'relationship' to be reopen.

I don't think only deleting posts is a very feasible option. It is more sensitive than deleting a whole thread because then many more members will start questioning the judgement of moderators on why their posts were deleted.
    That's the whole point. If the post is obviously offensive, then delete it. Attack the problem directly.

So unless members want us to be monitoring all posts and be nitpicking about what gets deleted and what does not, it won't happen.
    You don't need to read each and every post. People will complain.

Frankly speaking too, I don't think any forum does that.
    Actually this is what usually done. Closing a thread is only if unrecoverable.

Actually this is what usually done. Closing a thread is only if unrecoverable.
    I meant monitoring all the posts. The problem with implementing a policy of having mods delete only offensive posts is as mentioned, every mod pretty much have a different sensitivity level and judgement on what is spam, what is offensive, etc. Also, we get into questions of when to close (thread unrecoverable) and when to delete offending posts.

Closing and deleting threads and posts are mostly a short term solution to problems too. I think that the best option is for members to cooperate.
    -SC

I would like to inquire if there may be an opportunity to have a Homework Forum.

Originally posted by Hing
    I would like to inquire if there may be an opportunity to have a Homework Forum.
    Maybe you can start by posting your questions in the Academia forum and see if people can offer help.
    玉木宏

blog