Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Mid-Tier Matchups # 27: Mo Yung F'uk (DGSD) vs. Yeung Siu (HSDS)

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,973

    Default Mid-Tier Matchups # 27: Mo Yung F'uk (DGSD) vs. Yeung Siu (HSDS)

    We have "South Mo Yung F'uk" (DGSD) vs. the Ming Cult's Left Herald of Light, Yeung Siu (HSDS). How does this duel go?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Well MRF could fought almost "evenly" with DCQ whichI think more or less equal with Du Nan the weakest of the Du Monks while YX even with Eagle King help couldn't beat Du Nan so logically MRF ~/< Du Nan/DCQ > YX..

  3. #3
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Well MRF could fought almost "evenly" with DCQ whichI think more or less equal with Du Nan the weakest of the Du Monks while YX even with Eagle King help couldn't beat Du Nan so logically MRF ~/< Du Nan/DCQ > YX..
    I am always quite lost at MRF's level.

    There are moments where he shows real technical brilliance (lasting against 6MSJ and even turning the tables once) and even impressed TSTL but then he gets punked easily by JMZ and DYQ.

    Hmm, ok getting punked by JMZ might not make him that bad since XF could punk a single Xuan monk. But still, given how his inner force is supposedly soooo weak that he cant even start learning any 1 of the 72 arts, that is a big limitation.

    I actually never liked this statement from Sweeper. His inner force was enough to LDA (albeit a short one) when he demonstrated blasting a hole in the ground which was narrated as being able to split DY's head open if he had aimed it at DY (I wonder if JY realised DY had BMSG protection at this point which should at least half protect him, just like how his BMSG protected him when JMZ flame bladed him), and enough energy to manipulate-multiple-projectiles-thru the air.

    Being able to do a LDA (not shove) and force push like a Jedi is still not enough to _start_ learning 72 arts? That seems like too high a bar for me.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I am always quite lost at MRF's level.

    There are moments where he shows real technical brilliance (lasting against 6MSJ and even turning the tables once) and even impressed TSTL but then he gets punked easily by JMZ and DYQ.

    Hmm, ok getting punked by JMZ might not make him that bad since XF could punk a single Xuan monk. But still, given how his inner force is supposedly soooo weak that he cant even start learning any 1 of the 72 arts, that is a big limitation.

    I actually never liked this statement from Sweeper. His inner force was enough to LDA (albeit a short one) when he demonstrated blasting a hole in the ground which was narrated as being able to split DY's head open if he had aimed it at DY (I wonder if JY realised DY had BMSG protection at this point which should at least half protect him, just like how his BMSG protected him when JMZ flame bladed him), and enough energy to manipulate-multiple-projectiles-thru the air.

    Being able to do a LDA (not shove) and force push like a Jedi is still not enough to _start_ learning 72 arts? That seems like too high a bar for me.
    I always think MRF inner strength at least no worse than QCJ or Ma Yu which make him roughly equal with Eagle King in terms of "power" but his technique far superior than Eagle King while YX his internal a bit below Eagle King (mentioned in the novel) so overall MRF > YX IMHO..

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I am always quite lost at MRF's level.

    There are moments where he shows real technical brilliance (lasting against 6MSJ and even turning the tables once) and even impressed TSTL but then he gets punked easily by JMZ and DYQ.

    Hmm, ok getting punked by JMZ might not make him that bad since XF could punk a single Xuan monk. But still, given how his inner force is supposedly soooo weak that he cant even start learning any 1 of the 72 arts, that is a big limitation.

    I actually never liked this statement from Sweeper. His inner force was enough to LDA (albeit a short one) when he demonstrated blasting a hole in the ground which was narrated as being able to split DY's head open if he had aimed it at DY (I wonder if JY realised DY had BMSG protection at this point which should at least half protect him, just like how his BMSG protected him when JMZ flame bladed him), and enough energy to manipulate-multiple-projectiles-thru the air.

    Being able to do a LDA (not shove) and force push like a Jedi is still not enough to _start_ learning 72 arts? That seems like too high a bar for me.
    MRF's most impressive feats were technique based rather than power base, which would also explain why their effectiveness seems to vary. Observing from the outside TSTL was impressed by the technique but if actually fighting her superior power would have flattened MRF. DY was a relative newcomer to martial arts so would have been caught off guard by strange/unexpected techniques.

    When facing seasoned warriors these technique tricks won't work and so resulting in MRY's poor performance against JMZ, QF & DYQ .

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    MRF's most impressive feats were technique based rather than power base, which would also explain why their effectiveness seems to vary. Observing from the outside TSTL was impressed by the technique but if actually fighting her superior power would have flattened MRF. DY was a relative newcomer to martial arts so would have been caught off guard by strange/unexpected techniques.

    When facing seasoned warriors these technique tricks won't work and so resulting in MRY's poor performance against JMZ, QF & DYQ .
    But he could "match" XF 18 Dragon Palm which i doubt someone like YX could "match" GJ/YG (which on par with Wuji) strike even for single palm..

  7. #7
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    But he could "match" XF 18 Dragon Palm which i doubt someone like YX could "match" GJ/YG (which on par with Wuji) strike even for single palm..
    I am not too familiar with the books so am going by the TV adaptations here. When he 'matched' 18 Dragon Palm was he using Star-shifting? Is so then this is kind of a cheat as he was not matching it with his own power merely reflecting someone else's power back at them.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    I am not too familiar with the books so am going by the TV adaptations here. When he 'matched' 18 Dragon Palm was he using Star-shifting? Is so then this is kind of a cheat as he was not matching it with his own power merely reflecting someone else's power back at them.
    It's might not "direct" palm clash but at least MRF didn't afraid to "match" XF palm while i think people like YX would avoid to take direct palm clash from Wuji/GJ level fighters..

    Xiao Feng shouted: “You want to leave? You think you can be let off so lightly? Your father is ill, a real man does not take advantage of other’s precarious position, I will let him off for the time being. But you have no illness or pain!” Murong Fu’s anger rush forth, he shouted: “Then I will simply receive brother Xiao wise move!” Xiao Feng did not waste time speaking, with a ‘Hu’ sound, he executed a move from [28 Dragon Subduing Palm], "Meeting Dragon at the Field", and smack his palm violently at Murong Fu. Xiao Feng knew the space in Scripture-Depository Pavilion is narrow, there are many experts around, it is not convenient to prolong this fight, thus he put in 100% of his power in order to kill his enemy within a few moves. Murong Fu saw the incoming palm force is violent, he summoned all his strength and prepare to use [Start Shifting Movement] to neutralize.

    The old monk put his pair of hands together and said: “Emituofo, this place is a sacred Buddhist site, shizhu must not act rashly.”

    Just by putting his palms together, an invisible barrier appeared between Xiao Feng and Murong Fu. Xiao Feng’s earth shattering palm force crash into this barrier and disappeared without a trace in an instant.

  9. #9
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    It's might not "direct" palm clash but at least MRF didn't afraid to "match" XF palm while i think people like YX would avoid to take direct palm clash from Wuji/GJ level fighters..
    .
    One thing about MRF, throughout the entire story, I dont recall him ever once being hesitant or afraid to take on much much stronger fighters. He was willing to take a 100% power XF palm head on, fight with JMZ and even after witnessing XZ's abilities, he was going all 'You want to stop me leaving? Show your stuff!'.

    Its a pity JY didnt use the TVB trope of 'baddie must power up to challenge the heroes' and have either JMZ lose his power to MRF at the well or have him stumble onto a XY secret manual or the Shaolin Xi Sui Jing. Or all three!
    Last edited by CC; 11-22-21 at 05:09 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    One thing about MRF, throughout the entire story, I dont recall him ever once being hesitant or afraid to take on much much stronger fighters. He was willing to take a 100% power XF palm head on, fight with JMZ and even after witnessing XZ's abilities, he was going all 'You want to stop me leaving? Show your stuff!'.

    Its a pity JY didnt use the TVB trope of 'baddie must power up to challenge the heroes' and have either JMZ lose his power to MRF at the well or have him stumble onto a XY secret manual or the Shaolin Xi Sui Jing. Or all three!
    So we almost agree that MRF > YX right 😀😀😀😀

  11. #11
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    One thing about MRF, throughout the entire story, I dont recall him ever once being hesitant or afraid to take on much much stronger fighters. He was willing to take a 100% power XF palm head on, fight with JMZ and even after witnessing XZ's abilities, he was going all 'You want to stop me leaving? Show your stuff!'.

    Its a pity JY didnt use the TVB trope of 'baddie must power up to challenge the heroes' and have either JMZ lose his power to MRF at the well or have him stumble onto a XY secret manual or the Shaolin Xi Sui Jing. Or all three!
    No one is doubting MRF's courage but he did not always have the ability to back it up. He was willing to take on XF full powered strike but had already lost to him once. He stood up to JMZ but would have been beaten down if not for DY. He showed no fear towards XZ but if XZ was less merciful he could have easily killed MRF.

    I think that was the character JY was aiming for: someone who fights even when he knows he cannot win.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-21, 01:34 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-21, 09:00 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-21, 05:29 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-24-21, 09:48 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-21, 02:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •