Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Mid-Tier Matchups # 32: Ling Wu Chung (initial level) vs. Yeung Gor (initial level)

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,056

    Default Mid-Tier Matchups # 32: Ling Wu Chung (initial level) vs. Yeung Gor (initial level)

    It's a sword-to-sword duel between the protagonists of SPW and ROCH, both acolytes of Dook Goo Kau Bai, but here's the angle:

    1. Ling Wu Chung has only the Mt. Hua Sect martial arts that he learned from his teacher, Ngok But Kwun. He has not yet acquired Dook Goo 9 Swords, Yik Gun Ging, or any other powerups or skills that later made him a wulin elite.

    2. Yeung Gor is limited to the skills that he learned from Little Dragon Girl in the Ancient Tomb and does *not* include the Jade Maiden Manual Technique.

    How will this go?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Yang Guo. Linghu Chong is restricted to the moves that Yue Buqun taught him. Yang Guo mixes and matches and improvises.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    LHC win with split decision IMHO pre-Jade Maiden YG or even post-Jade Maiden YG (during LMC assault) not impressive at all he is even considered weaker than Hong Lingbo (LMC disciple) while pre-DG9S LHC could hold his own against TBG (which i think much better than Hong Lingbo)..

  4. #4
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    LHC win with split decision IMHO pre-Jade Maiden YG or even post-Jade Maiden YG (during LMC assault) not impressive at all he is even considered weaker than Hong Lingbo (LMC disciple) while pre-DG9S LHC could hold his own against TBG (which i think much better than Hong Lingbo)..
    What if YG suddenly busted out that one move from HamaGong? I dont think pre-DG9J LHC would be equipped to deal with an attack taken from a Great level skill.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  5. #5
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    What if YG suddenly busted out that one move from HamaGong? I dont think pre-DG9J LHC would be equipped to deal with an attack taken from a Great level skill.
    Yeung Gor's mastery and knowledge of Ha Mo Gung was too rudimentary to be effective against all but the weakest and least experienced fighters. Ling Wu Chung was already better than that even during his earliest appearances in SPW.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    I would give LHC 51:49 against YG at that time..

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yeung Gor's mastery and knowledge of Ha Mo Gung was too rudimentary to be effective against all but the weakest and least experienced fighters. Ling Wu Chung was already better than that even during his earliest appearances in SPW.
    Linghu Chong was still reliant on Yue Buqun-taught Huashan skills though. If Yang Guo goes unconventional for just a bit, he'd have LHC in trouble. Or even if YG mixes things up.

  8. #8
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    I would give LHC 51:49 against YG at that time..
    It would be really close, for sure. This would be one of the best Mid-Tier Matchups of all time in terms of being a great struggle between nearly equal opponents.

  9. #9
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Linghu Chong was still reliant on Yue Buqun-taught Huashan skills though. If Yang Guo goes unconventional for just a bit, he'd have LHC in trouble. Or even if YG mixes things up.
    Later Yeung Gor, perhaps, but at this stage, he doesn't have much to work with. The Ha Mo Gung that Yeung Gor learned from West Poison Au Yeung Fung wasn't enough to be much of a difference-maker against a competent opponent. He had basic Cheun Jen Sect and Ancient Tomb Sect training from Little Dragon Girl, but I'm not sure, at this early stage of his development, whether he could use the two sets of skills in tandem very effectively. Moreover, his opponent Ling Wu Chung was no slouch in out-of-the-box improvisation himself.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Later Yeung Gor, perhaps, but at this stage, he doesn't have much to work with. The Ha Mo Gung that Yeung Gor learned from West Poison Au Yeung Fung wasn't enough to be much of a different-maker against a competent opponent. He had basic Cheun Jen Sect and Ancient Tomb Sect training from Little Dragon Girl, but I'm not sure, at this early stage of his development, whether he could use the two sets of skills in tandem very effectively. Moreover, his opponent Ling Wu Chung was no slouch in out-of-the-box improvisation himself.
    18 (?) year old Yang Guo was holding his own against Huo Du using Ancient Tomb skills alone. Would the Jade Maiden sword technique be discounted? It was, after all, just one half of the intended sword art. At the very least, I'm pretty sure Yang Guo can hold up Linghu Chong long enough to unleash Jade Bee needles.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    18 (?) year old Yang Guo was holding his own against Huo Du using Ancient Tomb skills alone. Would the Jade Maiden sword technique be discounted? It was, after all, just one half of the intended sword art. At the very least, I'm pretty sure Yang Guo can hold up Linghu Chong long enough to unleash Jade Bee needles.
    When YG face Huodu he have 9 Yin + Dog Beating Stick + Jade Maiden while pre-Jade Maiden YG (during LMC assault) even not confident to beat Hong Lingbo (LMC disciple) while pre-DG9S LHC seems better than Hong Lingbo at that stage..

  12. #12
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    18 (?) year old Yang Guo was holding his own against Huo Du using Ancient Tomb skills alone. Would the Jade Maiden sword technique be discounted? It was, after all, just one half of the intended sword art. At the very least, I'm pretty sure Yang Guo can hold up Linghu Chong long enough to unleash Jade Bee needles.
    The first time that Yeung Gor fought Fok Do was at the Heroes' Conference at Dai Sing Kwan. By then, Yeung Gor had not only added the Jade Maiden Manual and partial 9 Yum Jen Ging to his repertoire, he had received additional martial arts training from North Beggar Hung 7 Gung and West Poison Au Yeung Fung at the summit of Mt. Hua. By the time Yeung Gor fought Fok Do, he was a much better fighter than he had been when he first emerged from the Ancient Tomb (which is the timeframe I'm referencing). The Yeung Gor in my scenario has only what Little Dragon Girl taught him before they began training in the Jade Maiden Manual.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    Default

    This is an unusually interesting comparison. Yang Guo probably has the advantage due to much superior qinggong, which gives him great tactical advantages. Linghu Chong, even before receiving instruction from Feng Qingyang, is probably competent enough to defend tightly enough to prevent Yang Guo from getting through, but YG, being quick-thinking and able to improvise, is likely to be able to do something unexpected.

    (Although... if Huashan was really founded by Hao Datong, Linghu is in real trouble, as the basis of Huashan swordsmanship is probably going to be Quanzhen, which the Ancient Tomb martial arts are specifically designed to counter.)

    @Western Eccentric - Linghu gets frickin' pwned by Tian Boguang until Feng Qingyang shows up. Up till then, even with the exquisite sword moves from the cave art, Linghu can't even get to 100 moves against Tian. Even after Feng Qingyang has "freed his mind" and coached him in Huashan and Hengshan sword art, he's still not Tian's equal.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    This is an unusually interesting comparison. Yang Guo probably has the advantage due to much superior qinggong, which gives him great tactical advantages. Linghu Chong, even before receiving instruction from Feng Qingyang, is probably competent enough to defend tightly enough to prevent Yang Guo from getting through, but YG, being quick-thinking and able to improvise, is likely to be able to do something unexpected.

    (Although... if Huashan was really founded by Hao Datong, Linghu is in real trouble, as the basis of Huashan swordsmanship is probably going to be Quanzhen, which the Ancient Tomb martial arts are specifically designed to counter.)

    @Western Eccentric - Linghu gets frickin' pwned by Tian Boguang until Feng Qingyang shows up. Up till then, even with the exquisite sword moves from the cave art, Linghu can't even get to 100 moves against Tian. Even after Feng Qingyang has "freed his mind" and coached him in Huashan and Hengshan sword art, he's still not Tian's equal.
    Linghu Chong's biggest weakness is the tutelage of Yue Buqun. That sets him in a particular mode of thinking. Anything unorthodox beats a Yue student.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    This is an unusually interesting comparison. Yang Guo probably has the advantage due to much superior qinggong, which gives him great tactical advantages. Linghu Chong, even before receiving instruction from Feng Qingyang, is probably competent enough to defend tightly enough to prevent Yang Guo from getting through, but YG, being quick-thinking and able to improvise, is likely to be able to do something unexpected.

    (Although... if Huashan was really founded by Hao Datong, Linghu is in real trouble, as the basis of Huashan swordsmanship is probably going to be Quanzhen, which the Ancient Tomb martial arts are specifically designed to counter.)

    @Western Eccentric - Linghu gets frickin' pwned by Tian Boguang until Feng Qingyang shows up. Up till then, even with the exquisite sword moves from the cave art, Linghu can't even get to 100 moves against Tian. Even after Feng Qingyang has "freed his mind" and coached him in Huashan and Hengshan sword art, he's still not Tian's equal.
    For me TBQ seems much better than Hong Lingbo and LHC could "handle" him for a while in the other hand YG didn't "dare" to "provoked" Hong Lingbo even after Jade Maiden lesson that's why I give LHC slightly edge against YG..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Later Yeung Gor, perhaps, but at this stage, he doesn't have much to work with. The Ha Mo Gung that Yeung Gor learned from West Poison Au Yeung Fung wasn't enough to be much of a difference-maker against a competent opponent. He had basic Cheun Jen Sect and Ancient Tomb Sect training from Little Dragon Girl, but I'm not sure, at this early stage of his development, whether he could use the two sets of skills in tandem very effectively. Moreover, his opponent Ling Wu Chung was no slouch in out-of-the-box improvisation himself.
    While trapped in the ancient tomb, YG instinctively hit Li Mochou with the toad stance when she attacked XLN (this wasn't in ROCH '83 BTW). He blasted her all the way across the room to slam hard with her back against the wall on the far end. While that wasn't enough to injure her (only hurt her a bit), against a lesser fighter (such as early-stage LHC) it would not be hard to picture such a strike knocking them out altogether...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    While trapped in the ancient tomb, YG instinctively hit Li Mochou with the toad stance when she attacked XLN (this wasn't in ROCH '83 BTW). He blasted her all the way across the room to slam hard with her back against the wall on the far end. While that wasn't enough to injure her (only hurt her a bit), against a lesser fighter (such as early-stage LHC) it would not be hard to picture such a strike knocking them out altogether...
    If I not wrong every time YG use Hama Gong it's always a "sneak attack" against LMC against Wu brothers and against Fan Yiwang (Long Bearded Ghost and former GSZ head disciple) so if he use "head on" against LHC he would "failed" to attack him IMHO..

  18. #18
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    If I not wrong every time YG use Hama Gong it's always a "sneak attack" against LMC against Wu brothers and against Fan Yiwang (Long Bearded Ghost and former GSZ head disciple) so if he use "head on" against LHC he would "failed" to attack him IMHO..
    I guess it's handy for a sucker punch against an enemy who doesn't know him and has no idea that he has this in his bag of tricks, but it's not likely to work a second time on the same opponent.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    153

    Default

    YG used the Toad Skill against Fan Yiweng??? Source please???

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    YG used the Toad Skill against Fan Yiweng??? Source please???
    I guess it only in Indonesia version which based on 1st edition..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-21, 09:00 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-21, 05:29 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-21, 02:16 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-21, 07:50 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-21, 09:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •