Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Did Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min Go After Ming Dynasty Was Established?

Default Where Did Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min Go After Ming Dynasty Was Established?

I know in the recent series the couple rode off into the sunset in Mongolia. But in the novel did they ever return to China? Zhu Yuanzhang in history eliminated the Ming Cult after becoming emperor. I'm sure Zhang Wuji would have done something about it.

It's a big planet. They could have gone anywhere. Likely destinations are Ice Fire Island where Cheung Mo Gei was born, or perhaps they went to Persia to visit Siu Chiu.

Based on JY’s style they would have lived in seclusion, make babies and never indulge in matters of the world again even if ZYZ tore the world apart

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Heretic View Post
    Based on JY’s style they would have lived in seclusion, make babies and never indulge in matters of the world again even if ZYZ tore the world apart
    There was a postscript in Tony Wong's HSDS comic book adaptation from around twenty years ago that revealed that they were always in the neighborhood. After Chu Yeun Cheung slaughtered the Ming Cult and became the tyrannical Hongwu Emperor, founder of the Ming Dynasty, Cheung Mo Gei and Chiu Mun showed up at the imperial place with the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre. After the couple killed their way through the imperial guards to the emperor's throne and threatened the emperor, Hongwu pleaded for mercy, telling Cheung Mo Gei that if Cheung killed him, it would open the door for the Mongols to reclaim control of China. Realizing that Hongwu was probably right, Cheung Mo Gei spared his life, but warned him ominously that he would always be watching and that if Hongwu failed to be a fair and just ruler, he would be back to finish him. It ended with the Hongwu Emperor becoming a better ruler, fearful for the remainder of his life of Cheung Mo Gei returning.

wherever they went, you can be sure zhou zhiruo was right behind them 😂

Where Did Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min Go After Ming Dynasty Was Established?

Cheung Mo Gei was too poor to provide all the luxuries that Chiu Min used to. What happened between her and Cheung Mo Gei is unknown. She ended up married to Prince Zhu Shuang and had 3 sons with him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Shuang

They left the Central Plains for reaching the peaceful life

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Where Did Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min Go After Ming Dynasty Was Established?

Cheung Mo Gei was too poor to provide all the luxuries that Chiu Min used to. What happened between her and Cheung Mo Gei is unknown. She ended up married to Prince Zhu Shuang and had 3 sons with him.

No
    ZM isn't Zhu Shuang's consort
    Technically after chapter 34 of HSDS she destroyed all the bridges behind her back ,So after that chapter she was not even a member of that family and from her family point of view , she didn't exist anymore
    Last edited by reydge; 05-09-22 at 05:13 AM.

Suddenly had the inspiration to write this, this is what I thought would have happened to them

The sun gradually rose over the horizon, adding a bit of light to the village, filling it with life. Sitting outside a thatched hut, Zhang Wuji placed his index finger on the wrist of an old man in front of him.

“Physician Zeng, is my father very ill?” a peasant woman standing behind the old man anxiously asked,

Zhang Wuji looked up at the peasant woman and smiled. “Uncle caught a cold. It’s nothing serious. I’ll prescribe him with some medicines.” He reached for a brush pen and wrote on a piece of paper.

The peasant woman thanked him repeatedly and asked, “How much do I have to pay you?”

Zhang Wuji helped the old man up from the stool and warmly said, “That won’t be necessary. Use the money to buy the herbs instead.”

Hearing that the medical consultation was free, the peasant woman gave him an appreciative look. “Physician Zeng, us father and daughter are grateful for your kindness.” she said in a soft voice.

“Physician Zeng is known to be benevolent. Taking good care of your father would be the best way for you to repay his kindness,” a female voice rang out.

Zhang Wuji recognized the voice. He turned to the east and saw an elegant and beautiful middle aged woman in beige peasant clothing holding a bamboo food basket, walking towards him. “Min Mei (younger sister), what took you so long?” he asked, feigning hunger.

The middle aged woman was indeed his wife, Zhao Min. She placed the bamboo food basket on the table and said in a tender voice, “A’Niu Gege (older brother), didn’t you say that you want to eat dumpling oil rice? I spent the whole morning preparing it.”

Zhang Wuji removed the bamboo food basket cover, inhaled deeply to capture the fragrant aroma of food and smiled with great satisfaction. “Min Mei, it smells delicious,” he remarked.

Zhao Min smiled sweetly. “Let me know how it tastes,” she said excitedly.

Zhang Wuji took a bite of the dumpling oil rice and exclaimed, “Min Min, this dumpling oil rice tastes great. Your culinary skills are truly formidable.”

“A’Niu Gege, you’re flattering me excessively again. This is my first time preparing it, how could it be possible that it tastes so good,” she ridiculed.

The crowd waiting to be examined watched the couple's cute interaction with smiles on their faces.

Noticing the crowd’s facial expression, Zhao Min’s beautiful face blushed. She pat Zhang Wuji on the arm and embarrassingly said, “Physician Zeng, there’s a lot of people waiting for you to examine them.”

Zhang Wuji glanced at the crowd and awkwardly returned to his seat and invited the next patient to come forward.

After two hours, Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min sat under a big tree. Zhang Wuji finished eating the dumpling rice and exclaimed, “Min Mei, the dumpling rice is really tasty. Who was it that taught you how to prepare the dumpling rice?”

Zhao Min smiled sweetly and said, “I sent Buhui a pigeon message and asked her for the recipe.”

Zhang Wuji looked up at the clear blue sky and let out a sigh of contentment. “I heard that Buhui Meimei (younger sister) and Liushu (sixth uncle) son Zhenhai Shidi (junior martial brother) is known to be chivalrous and benevolent.”

Zhao Min smiled proudly and said, “Our beloved daughter is not inferior to him in fame or ability. In the Central Plains martial arts circle, there isn’t anyone who has not heard of ‘Floating Wind Flying Immortal’ heroine.”

Zhang Wuji reached out her hand, shifted his gaze at her and smiled, “You’ve forgotten about our son?”

“Of course not. Our son has never been interested in matters of the jianghu. When you were teaching them martial arts while they were kids, he insisted that the Nine Yang True Scripture inner qi cultivation method and Taiji Fist is more than enough. Whereas our beloved daughter insisted on learning every martial art that you and I have learned. Our son’s passion is examining and treating those in need. He’s the Hua Tuo reincarnated,” Zhao Min replied.

“My only wish is that our children can live a carefree life,” Zhang Wuji said. Pausing momentarily, a smile crept on his face. “They’ve to thank their mother though. If you had not insisted on allowing them to roam the rivers and lakes by themselves, they may still be under our shadow,” he continued.

Zhao Min smiled condescendingly. “I would never allow my children to be overly dependent on their parents. I would rather they go out there, make mistakes and learn from it. Afterall, roaming the jianghu can be interesting,” she asserted.

Smiling at her, Zhang Wuji nodded in agreement. “We wouldn’t have known each other if you did not go around stirring trouble in jianghu,” he teased.

“Only thing I forgot to do is teach our son to draw on eyebrows,” he chuckled; something which he continued to do for Zhao Min even though they had been married for over two decades.”

Zhao Min beamed and said, “You can always teach him how to do it once he finds the one he loves. I’m just curious what our future daughter in law will be like.”

Zhang Wuji chuckled. “Zhang Furen (madam - referring to Zhao Min), what type of daughter in law would you like?” he questioned.

“She doesn’t have to be too beautiful. But she must be able to take good care of our son and be there by his side during good or bad times,” Zhao Min expressed.

“Your criteria sounds like you’re looking for a son in law instead of a daughter in law,” Zhang Wuji scoffe laughing.
    Zhao Min grimaced and retorted, “You’re so bad. How could you make fun of me when we’re talking about our future daughter in law.”

“Our son is a grown up, He should be the one taking care of the person he loves and not the other way round,” Zhang Wuji insisted.

Recalling how he saved her life when Zhou Zhiruo injured her and how he defended her when Yin Yewang tried to kill her because of his father’s death, Zhao Min could not help but nod in agreement with her husband.

“I’m actually more interested to find out who will be our son in law,” Zhang Wuji said. “Could it be a great hero or a refined scholar.”

“I’m sure that he has to be a great hero. His martial arts must certainly be greater than our beloved daughter. Otherwise, he’s going to be bullied all the time,” Zhao Min shared.

After she finished talking, a thought suddenly came to her mind. She sighed and said, “Our beloved daughter has fully mastered the Nine Yin True Scripture martial arts. It is going to be difficult to find someone with greater martial arts than her.

Zhang Wuji’s countenance changed. Zhou Zhiruo came to his mind when he heard the words Nine Yin True Scripture. “I wonder how’s Zhiruo Meimei (younger sister) doing. I still haven’t had the chance to thank her for asking Wei Fuwang (bat king) to share me the map to Peach Blossom Island, the island where our children were born.”

Zhao Min responded with a slight smile. She was a little doubtful when she first heard from Zhang Wuji that Zhou Zhiru had repented, wondering what evil tricks she had in her sleeve. But after taking the risk of going to Peach Blossom Island with Zhang Wuji and realizing how beautiful the island was, she agreed that Zhou Zhiruo no longer held any grudges against them.

“She may have gotten married and given birth to children of her own. It’s been so long since we last met her,” Zhao Min said in a soft voice. “I’m more interested to know how my Gege (older brother) is doing. He must be still angry with me for indirectly causing my father’s death. The Ming armies had been attacking the Mongolian armies in the Northern Desert repeatedly, I really hope Gege did not get injured in those battles.”

“If it wasn’t for the constant war in the Northern Desert we would not have moved to the Peach Blossom Island while you were pregnant,” Zhang Wuji sighed. “The Yuan Dynasty has already collapsed. It isn’t necessary to completely exterminate the Mongol tribe.”

Zhao Min shook her head slightly and said, “Zhu Yuanzhang will continue to attack the Northern Desert because he doesn’t want the Mongol tribe to return and overthrow his kingdom. The killings in the Northern Desert would continue as long as he’s alive.”

Zhang Wuji furrowed his brow, glanced at her mischievously, and he asked, “Are you hinting something to me, Min Min?”

Ignoring his question, Zhao Min got up from the ground and walked leisurely toward the thatched hut. “Physician Zeng, don’t worry. I’ll not get involved in political matters anymore. I want to live longer so that I can see my children start their own family,” she replied in a sweet voice; a smile flashed across her beautiful face.

In the third edition, it was explicitly stated that ZWJ wanted to follow ZM back to Mongolia, and will probably not be returning.

周芷若問道:“你明天送趙姑娘去蒙古,她從此不來中土,你呢?”張無忌道:“我多半也從此不回 來了。

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    In the third edition, it was explicitly stated that ZWJ wanted to follow ZM back to Mongolia, and will probably not be returning.

Wouldn't Mongolia be a dangerous place for them to reside considering that Chiu Mun was a traitor to Mongolia and Cheung Mo Gei was an enemy of the state to the Mongol nation?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post

Why would Cheung Mo Gei want to live in Mongolia where is cold and empty. It's more logical if he want to retire around the Wudang area (Wuhan) where is decent and near Cheung Sam Fung.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Wouldn't Mongolia be a dangerous place for them to reside considering that Chiu Mun was a traitor to Mongolia and Cheung Mo Gei was an enemy of the state to the Mongol nation?
    While Mongolia is a shitty place to live, it is huge. If they both want to live an average life, no one can find them.

After the establishment of the Ming Dynasty, Zhang Wuji and Zhao Min, in the novel, did not return to China. In the recent series, the couple rode off into the sunset in Mongolia. However, in historical context, Zhu Yuanzhang, after becoming emperor, eliminated the Ming Cult, and Zhang Wuji's actions regarding it are not explicitly detailed in the novel.
    Last edited by rufusbucher; 01-24-24 at 01:09 AM.

Wait a minutes, but Ming Cult itself is a fictional organization. So what do you mean with the historical context?

I think the problem of so many Jin Yong's novel is that after the end of each novel, his protagonist will vanish into thin air, and then forgotten by the world. Thus, their mighty martial arts are gone without any influential successors. That's why there are a lot of mighty martial arts that extinct after the end of those novel protagonists story.

For example, in DGSD, Duan Yu inherited Dali Kingdom most powerful martial art. Namely Spirit Blade of Six Meridian. But after his death, that powerful martial art is extinct, and Duan successor Yi Deng can only inherited the less powerful version of Yi Yang Finger.

It also the same with Guo Jing, Yang Guo, Huang Yaoshi, etc. Their martial arts technically extinct after their departure from the story. We can't even trace the where-about of 18 Dragon Subduing Palm after Guo Jing, etc. Although if we think it realistically, as the General who protect Xiang Yang from Mongol, Guo Jing should has teach 18 Dragon Palms to his soldiers. As that skills can increase their survivability in battle. And after the fall of Xiang Yang, one or two of those soldiers should survive and life to transfer their knowledge to their descendants. So we should still able to find 18 Dragon Subduing Dragon Palm in Zhang Wu Ji era.

Quote Originally Posted by reydge View Post
    They left the Central Plains for reaching the peaceful life

No
    ZM isn't Zhu Shuang's consort
    Technically after chapter 34 of HSDS she destroyed all the bridges behind her back ,So after that chapter she was not even a member of that family and from her family point of view , she didn't exist anymore
    ZM is Zhu Shuang consort. Zhang Wuji is too poor to provide her a luxurious life.

Consort Minlie, of the Wang clan (愍烈妃 王氏; d. 1395), the primary consort, younger sister of Köke Temür

In the history, yes the sister of Koke Temur is married with the son of Hong Wu emperor (Zhu Yuan Zhang), but in the novel ZM is not the same with Consort Minlie, wife of Zhu Shuang.

There is no Zhu Shuang and also Consort Min Lie in HSDS

Quote Originally Posted by St3v3 View Post
    In the history, yes the sister of Koke Temur is married with the son of Hong Wu emperor (Zhu Yuan Zhang), but in the novel ZM is not the same with Consort Minlie, wife of Zhu Shuang.

There is no Zhu Shuang and also Consort Min Lie in HSDS
    Minlie is the only sister of Koke Temur and is married to Zhu Shuang then she can't be with ZWJ till the end. We don't know how ZM and ZWJ broke up but they broke up. ZWJ made a big mistake for not choosing ZZR over ZM.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Minlie is the only sister of Koke Temur and is married to Zhu Shuang then she can't be with ZWJ till the end. We don't know how ZM and ZWJ broke up but they broke up. ZWJ made a big mistake for not choosing ZZR over ZM.
    How did ZWJ make a mistake in not marrying the woman who killed/tried to kill his cousin, betrayed his foster father, lied and manipulated him? You would prefer ZWJ choose a vindictive power hungry woman, rather than a loving woman willing to sacrifice her family, her status and even her identity for him and before you try to force your hypotheitcal sudo history theory, I can claim Koke pulled a Tang Taizong trick and just gave same random noble to the peasant turned Emperor Ming Dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    a loving woman willing to sacrifice her family
    Blood is thicker than water. If a person has any decency then he/she should never ever betray his/her family. If the woman is willing to sacrifice her family for a man then she is worthless.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Blood is thicker than water. If a person has any decency then he/she should never ever betray his/her family. If the woman is willing to sacrifice her family for a man then she is worthless.
    I see so in that case you think Qiao Feng was worthless when he stood by the Song and instead he should have sided with the Liao, avenged his mother and worked with his father to massacre the Song Dynasty?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    I see so in that case you think Qiao Feng was worthless when he stood by the Song and instead he should have sided with the Liao, avenged his mother and worked with his father to massacre the Song Dynasty?
    War will not only give negative effect on Song, but also Qiao. Citizens from both countries will suffer because of greediness of a few people like Kibg of Liao, and I don't think QF only think about Song, he also live a few years in Liao territory.