Thread: Yang Lianting Significance in SPW

Default Yang Lianting Significance in SPW

I know that gay boy was DFBB boyfriend but other than that did he have any significant role? I don't recall him masterminding any attacks on the five sword sects, in fact the cult was kinda low profile the whole time when it was under DFBB....

the boy toy was there to please his she male boss sexually thats all and he was ousting those who were against him. other than that he did not do much. in fact, it was peaceful in the realm during that period

He's a badly written character and was just there to advance plot points. There is no chance someone as smart, strong, proud and ambitious as DFBB would just give up all his power just to cuddle up with his boy toy all day. Makes zero sense. Oh well. There're bound to be bad characters and plot points like this in those huge volumes that JY wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Chen View Post
    the boy toy was there to please his she male boss sexually thats all and he was ousting those who were against him. other than that he did not do much. in fact, it was peaceful in the realm during that period
    LHC should leave YLT and DFBB alone. He should NOT help RWX regaining power.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    LHC should leave YLT and DFBB alone. He should NOT help RWX regaining power.
    In retrospect, Ling Wu Chung probably agreed. He seemed to regret intervening. He really didn't know much about the Sun Moon Sect's internal politics and the different personality clashes at the top before deciding to get involved.

No because of RYY, LHC would always get involved. It's not his choice. He owed his life to her. Besides, it's not like DFBB was harmless. If DFBB by some chance came to his sense, he would have the potential to wreck the entire wulin. So, that was the perfect time to eliminate him. There's still people who could stop RWX (FZ, FQY, even LHC at some point in the future). There's no one who could stop DFBB. DFBB was the bigger threat.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    No because of RYY, LHC would always get involved. It's not his choice. He owed his life to her. Besides, it's not like DFBB was harmless. If DFBB by some chance came to his sense, he would have the potential to wreck the entire wulin. So, that was the perfect time to eliminate him. There's still people who could stop RWX (FZ, FQY, even LHC at some point in the future). There's no one who could stop DFBB. DFBB was the bigger threat.
    Whatever YLT does is internal conflict. His actions do not affect wulin at all. DFBB had been staying in Black Cliff for decades without doing anything affecting wulin. If DFBB stays on power, he will simply enjoy his life with YLT in Black Cliff. On the other hand, RWX has all the plans going after everyone who is not willing to kowtow to him. Given wulin had been at peace with the Sun-Moon sect for decades when DFBB on power, why did LHC going after him? As bad as DFBB is as a person, RWX is far worse for wulin.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Whatever YLT does is internal conflict. His actions do not affect wulin at all. DFBB had been staying in Black Cliff for decades without doing anything affecting wulin. If DFBB stays on power, he will simply enjoy his life with YLT in Black Cliff. On the other hand, RWX has all the plans going after everyone who is not willing to kowtow to him. Given wulin had been at peace with the Sun-Moon sect for decades when DFBB on power, why did LHC going after him? As bad as DFBB is as a person, RWX is far worse for wulin.
    Because LHC could not predict the future. All he knew was that DFBB tried to kill his friend, imprisoned his girlfriend's father, attempted to kidnap himself and if left alive would be a threat to RYY. That RWX would later become a bigger threat was not something he could have known at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    It might be unique to the 1984 TVB adaptation, but in that version, Ling Wu Chung did appear to experience some after-the-fact misgivings about helping Yam Ngor Hang to unseat Dung Fong But Bai as the Sun Moon Cult Leader. At first, LWC was quite gung-ho about helping his future father-in-law to take back the position that had originally been his, but after Yam showed his true colors upon regaining his leadership position, LWC began to think that helping him was a mistake.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It might be unique to the 1984 TVB adaptation, but in that version, Ling Wu Chung did appear to experience some after-the-fact misgivings about helping Yam Ngor Hang to unseat Dung Fong But Bai as the Sun Moon Cult Leader. At first, LWC was quite gung-ho about helping his future father-in-law to take back the position that had originally been his, but after Yam showed his true colors upon regaining his leadership position, LWC began to think that helping him was a mistake.
    I think it was in the book as well but only after RWX imprisoned him.

YLT was supposedly the puppet and lover of DFBB. As EdenResident said he's a badly written character and was just there to advance plot points.

Overall, SPW is actually my favorite JY novel all though there are way too much flaws i.e Dugu 9 Swords taught by FQY, LHC blinding the 15 people while he was badly injured, QHBD giving its practitioner godly skills but loses desire to rule the world (this was probably due to the two Huashan peeps missing out some key stuff while they were memorizing the manual or LYT adding in some stuff so that the practitioner loses desire for power),

I'll say this for Mr. Yeung: he played a more important role in SPW than Gwok Por Lo did in ROCH.

SPW is my favorite novel and RYY is my favorite female lead in the JY world.

Come to think of it, Mr Yang of Black Wood Cliff did have some significance if you ask me. If it was not for him, Dongfang would not have lost her life and her leadership position to Mr Ren. Mr Ren and his lackeys combined had no chance against Dongfang.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhawk View Post
    SPW is my favorite novel and RYY is my favorite female lead in the JY world.

Come to think of it, Mr Yang of Black Wood Cliff did have some significance if you ask me. If it was not for him, Dongfang would not have lost her life and her leadership position to Mr Ren. Mr Ren and his lackeys combined had no chance against Dongfang.
    I am just curious what would have happened if RWX and DFBB KOed each other in the fight. Would LHC have agreed to join the cult and help RYY manage its operations?

LHC wanted no parts in leading any sect, much less the Sun Moon Cult, which he was at best indifferent towards. RYY, knowing him, would not force LHC to take the position. So in this scenario, it would be XWT who would become the new leader, ie., the exact same outcome at the end of the novel.

Btw, come to think of this, it's a bit irresponsible for LHC to completely ditch Hengshan to run off with RYY. At least he should have recruited or trained a capable leader for them before ditching them like that.