Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin's Top Internal Skill - Nine Yang or YJJ

Default Shaolin's Top Internal Skill - Nine Yang or YJJ

In HSDS, it seemed that Nine Yang was the greatest Shaolin internal skill because the temple head and elders seemed to be proficient in their own version of Nine Yang. Whereas in DGSD, YJJ seemed to the the top Shaolin internal skill.

1. Given all the information shared in the two novels, which is the best internal skill?
    2. Any idea who created Nine Yang? I'm assuming it's XZ from DGSD because he inherited the carefree sect's skill

I think Yijin Jing is the best inner power cultivation in Jin Yong universe and since 9 Yang only exist in HSDS which mean Yijin Jing should be become the "ultimate art" of Shaolin along with Shaolin 72 Supreme Art and though the 9 Yang manual "hiding himself" for years at Shaolin the manual itself is not necessary Shaolin "art" giving Jin Yong 3rd edition regarding 9 Yang origin..

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    I think Yijin Jing is the best inner power cultivation in Jin Yong universe and since 9 Yang only exist in HSDS which mean Yijin Jing should be become the "ultimate art" of Shaolin along with Shaolin 72 Supreme Art and though the 9 Yang manual "hiding himself" for years at Shaolin the manual itself is not necessary Shaolin "art" giving Jin Yong 3rd edition regarding 9 Yang origin..
    I also don't regard 9 Yeung Jen Ging as a true Shaolin art because unless that monk friend of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung was a Shaolin monk (and maybe he was), Shaolin didn't invent it. Moreover, two other martial arts schools (Mo Dong Sect and Ngor Mei Sect) also had 9 Yeung Jen Ging as part of their repertoire.

YJJ should be a better skill because YTZ from DGSD only practiced it for a short period of time but it gave him large amount of energy whereas ZWJ spent a total of 10 years practising 9 Yang before he reached YTZ’s level.

If Shaolin had taken part in the Huashan Sword Fight I am guessing that WCY may not have necessarily won the tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    YJJ should be a better skill because YTZ from DGSD only practiced it for a short period of time but it gave him large amount of energy whereas ZWJ spent a total of 10 years practising 9 Yang before he reached YTZ’s level.

If Shaolin had taken part in the Huashan Sword Fight I am guessing that WCY may not have necessarily won the tournament
    As I remember the strongest "mortal" Shaolin monk no other than Fangzheng from SPW which most of us believe he is more or less around LOCH Greats level so if Shaolin "attended" 1st Huashan Duel I think they still couldn't win against any of Greats especially Wang Chongyang..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I also don't regard 9 Yeung Jen Ging as a true Shaolin art because unless that monk friend of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung was a Shaolin monk (and maybe he was), Shaolin didn't invent it. Moreover, two other martial arts schools (Mo Dong Sect and Ngor Mei Sect) also had 9 Yeung Jen Ging as part of their repertoire.
    Wudang and Emei 9 Yang lesson based on Jueyuan "formula" which based on Shaolin 9 Yang since at that time no one know 9 Yang except Jueyuan/Shaolin..

In JY's world, it seems that Shaolin martial art has never been seen as the number one i.e.

- DGSD the monks needed XZ who mastered XYP martial arts to defeat JMZ, i am not including the Sweeper Monk because he did not show up during the confrontation with JMZ
    - SPW Fangzheng was not confident of defeating YBQ and had to impart LHC YJJ so that he could use his Dugu 9 Swords to defeat YBQ
    - HSDS the four divine monks combined were equally watched with ZWJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Heretic View Post
    In JY's world, it seems that Shaolin martial art has never been seen as the number one i.e.

- DGSD the monks needed XZ who mastered XYP martial arts to defeat JMZ, i am not including the Sweeper Monk because he did not show up during the confrontation with JMZ
    - SPW Fangzheng was not confident of defeating YBQ and had to impart LHC YJJ so that he could use his Dugu 9 Swords to defeat YBQ
    - HSDS the four divine monks combined were equally watched with ZWJ
    Is not Yue Buqun but Ren Woxing since Yue Buqun was dead before Fangzheng taught Linghu Chong Yijin Jing also it is 3 Shaolin monks not 4 which fought evenly with Wuji..

Is not Yue Buqun but Ren Woxing since Yue Buqun was dead before Fangzheng taught Linghu Chong Yijin Jing also it is 3 Shaolin monks not 4 which fought evenly with Wuji..
    My bad, i forgot YBQ died outside the cave. Still find it amusing that a low level skilled nun killed him with a single stab.

Anyway, why would FZ be afraid of someone who had to use underhand methods to win him? in SOD, there were two people who could overpower RWX - FZ and ZLC

My bad, i forgot YBQ died outside the cave. Still find it amusing that a low level skilled nun killed him with a single stab.

Anyway, why would FZ be afraid of someone who had to use underhand methods to win him? in SOD, there were two people who could overpower RWX - FZ and ZLC
    I don't think Chongxu could beat Ren Woxing since Ren Woxing only regard him a "half" from 3 1/2 people which mean he is weaker than Ren Woxing..

I don't think Chongxu could beat Ren Woxing since Ren Woxing only regard him a "half" from 3 1/2 people which mean he is weaker than Ren Woxing..
    Not Chongxu, he is definitely no match against RWX. I mean FZ and ZLC, they would be able to beat RWX any day.

There may be a chance that LHC could beat RWX too

Not Chongxu, he is definitely no match against RWX. I mean FZ and ZLC, they would be able to beat RWX any day.

There may be a chance that LHC could beat RWX too
    Zuo Lengchan was easily killed by Linghu Chong i don't think Ren Woxing would fall in the same fate like that..

The RWX vs ZLC was the weirdest fight ever. It's like JY wrote himself into a corner and had to BS his way out. We had no idea who won that fight, or even if it was a draw. On one hand, skills wise, RWX should be above ZLC. He had fought FZ before and still was at least fighting on even terms with ZLC. On the other hand, it seemed just so convenient for ZLC to trick RWX into sucking his icy power. I mean, if that's how it goes then pretty much anyone with a somewhat unorthodox inner power base can do that to RWX. Like someone like Wei Yixiao or the XM elders. Or maybe someone with poisonous power like the 5 Poison sect. Anyone with worse skills but weird power can beat RWX.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhawk View Post
    In HSDS, it seemed that Nine Yang was the greatest Shaolin internal skill because the temple head and elders seemed to be proficient in their own version of Nine Yang. Whereas in DGSD, YJJ seemed to the the top Shaolin internal skill.
    In the original version of HSDS, only the deceased Kongjian and his disciple Yuanzhen (Cheng Kun) practiced the Shaolin version of 9 Yang. The Shaolin monks acknowledged it as powerful, but scorned it as being the kung-fu of an outcast.

This was mostly deleted in later revisions, so it is ambiguous as to who actually practiced it, but still - the only Shaolin monk who was shown using it in 'current' times even in later revisions was still just Cheng Kun.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    In the original version of HSDS, only the deceased Kongjian and his disciple Yuanzhen (Cheng Kun) practiced the Shaolin version of 9 Yang. The Shaolin monks acknowledged it as powerful, but scorned it as being the kung-fu of an outcast.

This was mostly deleted in later revisions, so it is ambiguous as to who actually practiced it, but still - the only Shaolin monk who was shown using it in 'current' times even in later revisions was still just Cheng Kun.
    If I'am not wrong in the 2nd edition The Du Monks also mentioned learn 9 Yang which much refined than Wuji..

If I'am not wrong in the 2nd edition The Du Monks also mentioned learn 9 Yang which much refined than Wuji..
    Refined, perhaps, but not nearly as complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Refined, perhaps, but not nearly as complete.
    Yeah in the actual fight between two combatant which considered "equal" in power and skills the refinement of inner power isn't big issue at all..

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post

Although it’s an outcast skill but I’m sure that it would have been able to heal LHC’s internal injury too

Although it’s an outcast skill but I’m sure that it would have been able to heal LHC’s internal injury too
    Yeah i think so what Linghu Chong need is a very advance inner energy method for "healing" which 9 Yang is one of them..

只隱約覺得他內勁和少林九陽功似是一路,但雄渾精微之處,又遠較少林派神功為勝。

The 3 monks recognised the 9 Yang that ZWJ used as being similar to the Shaolin 9 Yang, but the full version was far more powerful and intricate. Recognising it doesn't mean they also practised it. You might be thinking of Z3F thinking that ZWJ's inner power was seemingly boundless, but less refined that his own?