Thread: China has lost her soft power!

Default China has lost her soft power!

I live in North America. My primary source of Chinese media that are not readily available here come mostly from Indonesian forums. Back when The Untamed and The King's Avatar dramas were airing, you could source RAW 1080p from those Indonesian websites. And often they had episodes in advance of what was showing on Viki etc.

It's now 2024, and you find crickets chirping at those sites. They constantly update Japanese and Korean dramas but you'd be hard pressed to find a Chinese movie or drama listed on their. It's like the pirate's world suddenly lost interest in Chinese entertainment!

I mean what gives, China's GDP is constantly expanding while South Korea and Japan are shrinking. BUT these pirates from another world don't give a hoot! SK/JP dramas are becoming ever increasingly popular while Chinese contents is little to nil...

I will tell you the greatest thing Microsoft ever did... A brilliant strategy that made themselves the dominant software company at a time when they were facing threats from Apple and co. The strategy was very simple: They encouraged ppl to pirate Windows XP. This simple strategy repeated in Windows 10 -- they basically gave it away by allowing ppl to upgrade for free from Windows 7/8.

IMO, China should do everything possible to make it easy for ppl to pirate their TV shows and movies outside of China. Don't matter if you give away something for free, the ppl who want to spend money to make themselves feel good/feel that they are rich will be buyers. People who don't want to spend were never going to spend, no matter how hard you make it for them to pirate something! This is the only way to increase the China soft power in the world!

LOL, I want to watch stuff for FREE too, but China wants people to pay for all their contents now.

Good thing that MOST China's TV shows nowadays SUCK, and aren't quality like Jin Yong stories, or Li Qin's 'The Song of Glory' type of good.

Otherwise, I would go crazy and probably would be spending $$$ myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    Good thing that MOST China's TV shows nowadays SUCK, and aren't quality like Jin Yong stories, or Li Qin's 'The Song of Glory' type of good.

Otherwise, I would go crazy and probably would be spending $$$ myself.

I can say the same about Jin Yong. The only story he ever wrote that I remotely liked was RoCH. Everything else... I think the average Tencent anime series is a lot more entertaining.

About this time in 2016 3Lives3Worlds with Yang Mi was airing. The Indonesians couldn't get enough of that drama series. Everybody was too eager to upload the RAWs in advance on Indonesian forums.

TODAY, Legend of Shen Li is airing. There are crickets chirping at those sites. Nobody interested in Shen Li (which I think is probably the best TV drama in recent time right behind 3Body) in the pirate's world!!

IMO, I think Covid-19 is partly to blame for ppl outside China hating on Chinese media. The last TV drama to fully receive pirate's coverage was The King's Avatar and that was aired only a few months before Covid-19 breakout in China. After that the pirates lost their interest in Chinese ent!!