Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ's unofficial ranking of the Jin Yong universe

Default PJ's unofficial ranking of the Jin Yong universe

Dear all: the rankings have been removed. It is the belief of the topic originator that one would benefit more from intra-novel comparisons instead of an attempt to create a supposedly consolidated cross-platform comparison.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-25-07 at 08:48 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

TommyH
    Unregistered

So is Chen Jialuo (10%) 1/100th of Sweeper?

Thanks for putting in the effort to give a fresh take on ranking JY characters. However, if you say that everyone's percentage is just based off of Sweeper's baseline 1000%, then wouldn't Xuzhu's 500% of Sweeper's power be equal to 5000%? And does that mean that Sweeper's power is calculated by 1000% of 1000%? That kinda makes no sense that his power is 10 times his power. I know what you mean but perhaps some slight adjustments can make things more clear.

Oh, and BWM is ranked way too high. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

TommyH
    Unregistered

DGSD Xuzhu 500%
    DGSD Wuyazi, Tianshan Tonglao, Li Qiushui 330%
    Wouldn't that make XZ 990%?

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi
    Thanks for putting in the effort to give a fresh take on ranking JY characters. However, if you say that everyone's percentage is just based off of Sweeper's baseline 1000%, then wouldn't Xuzhu's 500% of Sweeper's power be equal to 5000%? And does that mean that Sweeper's power is calculated by 1000% of 1000%? That kinda makes no sense that his power is 10 times his power. I know what you mean but perhaps some slight adjustments can make things more clear.
    Thanks.

Originally, I ranked everyone out of 100%. Unfortunately, that became problematic when the Greats (who are very high in the hierarchy) were only 15% or so of Sweeper Monk, and people below them often needed decimal points to express their level, which were inconvenient. For example Deng Baichuan might be 2.5%, while Bao Butong might be 1.65%. I found it more readable to express them as 25% and 26.5% instead.

The only difference is, now instead of dividing the percentages by 100%, one divides it by 1000%.

good system but i thought hong 7 gong and au yeang fung is the same rank as huang yao shi and yi deng
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Wouldn't that make XZ 990%?
    No, because we look at people's OVERALL martial arts proficiency. Xuzhu may have great internal energy but Tonglao, Li Qiushui, and Wuyazi knew more techniques and how to utilize them fully.

Some ramblings.

Maybe you can make it more readable just by using 1000 and 450 instead of 1000% and 450%.

I think He Zhudao and MRF are a bit too low as well. The young XYS was 140, HZD shouldn't be that far off at 60!

The Du monks are at 70+. HZD was significantly better then all else at Shaolin. Unless there was a major improvement in Shaolin's general level from the start of HSDS to the time of ZWJ vs 3 Du monks, HZD should be comfortably above 75.
    Last edited by CC; 11-07-06 at 09:02 PM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Duan Yu would rank between Murong Bo and Donganf Bubai wouldn't he since his proficiency in Martial Arts is not very high even though he has good internal?
    And with this trance mode of Shipotian, how does it make him much stronger than normally?

:]

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Maybe you can make it more readable just by using 1000 and 450 instead of 1000% and 450%.
    I will try my best

I think He Zhudao and MRF are a bit too low as well. The young XYS was 140, HZD shouldn't be that far off at 60!
    HZD = He Zudao I presume. He Zudao in the ranking is being considered for his level at the beginning of HSDS, which is the only time we saw him in the novel. His internal energy was roughly equal to 16 year old (I think) Zhang Sanfeng. I doubt young Xiao Yuanshan only had 16 yo Zhang Sanfeng's internal energy. Also Xiao Yuanshan casually drew 2 inch deep carvings on stone, while He Zudao only drew 1 inch deep carvings.

As for Murong Fu, it goes like this: Murong Fu + Deng Baichuan + Gongye Gan + Bao Butong + Feng Bo'e =~ Duan Yanqing. I have a theory that the combined forces of his 4 assistants might even be around the same level as Murong Fu... and yet all 5 of them were not able to gain the upper hand against Duan Yanqing. So I placed Murong Fu a bit below Duan Yanqing.

The Du monks are at 70+. HZD was significantly better then all else at Shaolin. Unless there was a major improvement in Shaolin's general level from the start of HSDS to the time of ZWJ vs 3 Du monks, HZD should be comfortably above 75.
    I don't even know if the Du monks would have been born yet during He Zudao's visit to Shaolin. So it's impossible to compare them head-to-head. I do believe that Shaolin improved quite a bit between He Zudao's time and Zhang Wuji's time - Maybe no concrete evidence, but Shaolin's prominence in HSDS is a sign that the level had stepped up over their weak era during LOCH/ROCH.

Another thing, which I touched on briefly already... He Zudao had roughly the same internal energy as 16 yo Zhang Sanfeng. Roughly 80+ years later, Zhang Sanfeng =~ Zhang Wuji =~ 3 Du Monks. Now, it would perhaps be modest to estimate that Zhang Sanfeng's internal energy didn't triple over the 80 year span. So at least in the field of internal energy, Zhang Sanfeng should be 3x greater than He Zudao (at beginning of HSDS).

Where is Duan Yu?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Where is Duan Yu?
    He's too busy stalking Wang Yuyan.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I will try my best
    Another thing, which I touched on briefly already... He Zudao had roughly the same internal energy as 16 yo Zhang Sanfeng. Roughly 80+ years later, Zhang Sanfeng =~ Zhang Wuji =~ 3 Du Monks. Now, it would perhaps be modest to estimate that Zhang Sanfeng's internal energy didn't triple over the 80 year span. So at least in the field of internal energy, Zhang Sanfeng should be 3x greater than He Zudao (at beginning of HSDS).
    Hmm, since HZD can do that 30 foot jump, how does 100 year old Z3F with 3-4x inner power airwalk?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    HZD had roughly the same internal energy as 16 yo Zhang Sanfeng.
    Um, the only reason why ZJB was able to do so well against HZD is because ZJB's internal energy was far superior because of 9 Yang.

Sure, he used the Luo Han fist well, but it was the 9 Yang power behind it that really made it work. Thus even the simple moves of the fist set were carried sufficient power to be a viable threat as well as being able to absorb force despite the lack of advance dissipation technique.

Good effort, but I honestly think that the power / prowess between the ROCH 4 greats is very minute. Sure, H7G and AYF died 16 or so years earlier, but it wouldn't make too much of a difference between these two and HYS and YD. The latter two wouldn't have improved in techniques and only inner power to improve on. They were already old at the start of ROCH and by the end, I doubt their inner power risen to make a huge difference between them and AYF / H7G. I think a 30% gap is too much between them. I do like ZBT as a couple of % points higher than the other two greats though.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Lin Pinzhi 30%? After he learnt Bi Xie, he should be maybe 80-90% of LHC?

I thinks SPT in trance mode would equal with Xuzhu, and your ranking is too far off, i means what the crap,4 MRF aint on par with XF?You rate XF too high, he shouldnt be that good,and who says MRB and SYS are weaker then XF? All of u guys just rate XF like one of the 5 best, and the 3 Xiaoyao elders,who said they were on par? And ZBT is defnitely not below YG and GJ, HYs should be near the lvl of YG as he had more experience, and good in many formations.And Z3F,omg below XF? he should be on par with Xiaofeng if not better
    Last edited by soulmelody; 11-08-06 at 02:55 AM.
    Ou Yang Feng, The #1 Elite Martial artist!

Murong Fu isn't een CLOSE to Xiao Feng, soulmelody.

true, MRF is nowhere near XF but ur saying that 4 MRF cant par with XF?thats utter BS.And i thought everyone at this forum thought DUGU Qiu Bai > Sweeps.
    Ou Yang Feng, The #1 Elite Martial artist!

Quote Originally Posted by soulmelody
    true, MRF is nowhere near XF but ur saying that 4 MRF cant par with XF?thats utter BS.And i thought everyone at this forum thought DUGU Qiu Bai > Sweeps.
    If your only adding the percentages then DCQ + MRF + YTZ is only superior to XF by 5%. But I don't think its intended to calculated like that.

:]