Thread: Best adaptation of Qiu Qianzhang, the best charlatan in wuxia literature

Default Best adaptation of Qiu Qianzhang, the best charlatan in wuxia literature

I have a fondness for charlatan characters; it's fun to watch them skillfully deceive people, and equally enjoyable to see their fraud being unraveled.

Qiu Qianren has a LEGENDARY nickname, "Iron Palm Floating on Water". Seriously, it's one of the best title in wuxia, on the same level as Miao Renfeng's title.

And Qiu Qianzhang portrayed that nickname and SEEMED to live up to it to perfection.

I only saw TVB's 1994 Legend of the Condor Heroes, so that's the only QQZ adaptation I saw. I liked it. I remember reading the novel afterwards, and the 1994 series' QQZ's antics were similar to how the novel described it.

Which Qiu Qianzhang adaptations did you like? I would love to watch some fun scenes from various adaptations. Other fun scenes that I like include the first meeting of the 7 Freaks and Qiu Chuji where they fought with a cauldron. Honestly I also liked the 1994 scene, it was a lot like how the novel portrayed it, more contest of martial arts, without an abundance of special effects.

I also saw LOCH 2009 (or 2008) with Hu Ge as Guo Jing, but strangely enough I COMPLETELY forgot what QQZ looked like in that series.

Also, do you think the real Qiu Qianren could have done SOME of those "fake" feats for real? Like for example, Qianzhang took some bricks made from flour and crushed them with his hand, can Qianren crush real bricks with his hand like that?

Qianzhang also used his pinkie finger (with a special ring to trick others) to slice off a cup. Can Qianren accomplish that through genuine skill?

I wonder which character or what kind of martial arts can accomplish those 2 feats without cheating.

Maybe Shaolin's Great Strength Diamond Steel finger can use a pinkie finger to slice off a cup, or another one of Jiumozhi's 72 Shaolin Supreme arts. In fact I'm pretty sure JMZ can accomplish this finger cutting cup feat legitimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tian Chixing's Chef View Post
    I have a fondness for charlatan characters; it's fun to watch them skillfully deceive people, and equally enjoyable to see their fraud being unraveled.

Qiu Qianren has a LEGENDARY nickname, "Iron Palm Floating on Water". Seriously, it's one of the best title in wuxia, on the same level as Miao Renfeng's title.

And Qiu Qianzhang portrayed that nickname and SEEMED to live up to it to perfection.

I only saw TVB's 1994 Legend of the Condor Heroes, so that's the only QQZ adaptation I saw. I liked it. I remember reading the novel afterwards, and the 1994 series' QQZ's antics were similar to how the novel described it.

Which Qiu Qianzhang adaptations did you like? I would love to watch some fun scenes from various adaptations. Other fun scenes that I like include the first meeting of the 7 Freaks and Qiu Chuji where they fought with a cauldron. Honestly I also liked the 1994 scene, it was a lot like how the novel portrayed it, more contest of martial arts, without an abundance of special effects.

I also saw LOCH 2009 (or 2008) with Hu Ge as Guo Jing, but strangely enough I COMPLETELY forgot what QQZ looked like in that series.

Also, do you think the real Qiu Qianren could have done SOME of those "fake" feats for real? Like for example, Qianzhang took some bricks made from flour and crushed them with his hand, can Qianren crush real bricks with his hand like that?

Qianzhang also used his pinkie finger (with a special ring to trick others) to slice off a cup. Can Qianren accomplish that through genuine skill?

I wonder which character or what kind of martial arts can accomplish those 2 feats without cheating.

Maybe Shaolin's Great Strength Diamond Steel finger can use a pinkie finger to slice off a cup, or another one of Jiumozhi's 72 Shaolin Supreme arts. In fact I'm pretty sure JMZ can accomplish this finger cutting cup feat legitimately.
    Well though Qiu Qianren might be couldn't do these "tricks" but Guo Jing once say that his skills not inferior than Greats which mean he is around Hong Qigong/Ouyang Feng level in pure martial arts..

You're right, Qiu Qianren is very powerful even if he cannot do these feats.

I've always been interested in his Iron Palm martial art and Qianren himself as a character.

For example, how did Qianren come to surpass his identical twin Qianzhang so much? My hypothesis is that Qianren had a more stubborn and determined personality that enabled him to endure the rigors of relentless training more, and perhaps a bigger passion for martial arts.

So even though genetically, both twins had the same ceiling, only Qianren reached those heights. Maybe he practiced Iron Palm 30 000 times, and on one occasion he got a lucky breakthrough and cleared a meridian, and that led to an eureka moment and he kept progressing further and further.

Successful martial artists need more genius, diligence and luck as well.

Qianzhang perhaps after 10 000 Iron Palms repetitions did not get the breakthrough so he gave up, earlier than Qianren.

Do you think that perhaps there was an unhealthy dose of sibling rivalry between Qianzhang and Qianren? Maybe Qianzhang was arrogant for being better than Qianren, which sparked an additional fire in Qianren to improve further. And after Qianren got his breakthrough, he did not share it with Qianzhang who was left in the dark and had to figure it out on his own.

But since Qianzhang practiced hard, but not as relentlessly hard as Qianren, he did not get the breakthrough.

I wonder what is the level of affection between Qianzhang, Qianren and Qianchi. It seems that Qianren and Qianchi got along well and he shared a lot of martial arts knowledge with Qianchi, who had outstanding talent herself.

Did Qianzhang ever used Iron Palm? I don't recall that he ever did, which is strange.

MAYBE that at first, Qianren was a selfish brother and did not share anything with either Qianzhang or Qianchi, but after becoming a monk, IF they met in person again, then maybe Qianren finally shared everything he knew with Qianchi like a good brother would. So that could explains why Qianchi progressed much more than Qianzhang.

Also, did the famed Lightness Kung Fu technique of the Iron Palm union invited by Qianren? Or did he learn it from Shangguan Jiannan, and perhaps Qianren improved upon it, as he did with Iron Palm?

So many questions that I wish someone asked Jin Yong in an interview. That's why a LOCH prequel would be fun to read!

I've always been interested in his Iron Palm martial art and Qianren himself as a character.

For example, how did Qianren come to surpass his identical twin Qianzhang so much? My hypothesis is that Qianren had a more stubborn and determined personality that enabled him to endure the rigors of relentless training more, and perhaps a bigger passion for martial arts.

So even though genetically, both twins had the same ceiling, only Qianren reached those heights. Maybe he practiced Iron Palm 30 000 times, and on one occasion he got a lucky breakthrough and cleared a meridian, and that led to an eureka moment and he kept progressing further and further.

Successful martial artists need more genius, diligence and luck as well.

Qianzhang perhaps after 10 000 Iron Palms repetitions did not get the breakthrough so he gave up, earlier than Qianren.

Do you think that perhaps there was an unhealthy dose of sibling rivalry between Qianzhang and Qianren? Maybe Qianzhang was arrogant for being better than Qianren, which sparked an additional fire in Qianren to improve further. And after Qianren got his breakthrough, he did not share it with Qianzhang who was left in the dark and had to figure it out on his own.

But since Qianzhang practiced hard, but not as relentlessly hard as Qianren, he did not get the breakthrough.

I wonder what is the level of affection between Qianzhang, Qianren and Qianchi. It seems that Qianren and Qianchi got along well and he shared a lot of martial arts knowledge with Qianchi, who had outstanding talent herself.

Did Qianzhang ever used Iron Palm? I don't recall that he ever did, which is strange.

MAYBE that at first, Qianren was a selfish brother and did not share anything with either Qianzhang or Qianchi, but after becoming a monk, IF they met in person again, then maybe Qianren finally shared everything he knew with Qianchi like a good brother would. So that could explains why Qianchi progressed much more than Qianzhang.

Also, did the famed Lightness Kung Fu technique of the Iron Palm union invited by Qianren? Or did he learn it from Shangguan Jiannan, and perhaps Qianren improved upon it, as he did with Iron Palm?

So many questions that I wish someone asked Jin Yong in an interview. That's why a LOCH prequel would be fun to read!
    Thanks for the explanation

My understanding from one of the adaptations was that as youths, Qiu Qianren saved Shangguan Jiannan who then took him in as his disciple. Qianzhang would only learn bits and pieces as a normal member of the sect, probably most of it from his brother. Qianchi seemed to a much better fighter, though, and I have no idea how learned her abilities.