Thread: Shangguan Jiannan of Iron Palm Sect

Default Shangguan Jiannan of Iron Palm Sect

Not many details on him but he was the previous chief of Iron Palm before Qiu Qianren. He was Qiu Qianren's master and was supposedly the best in wulin at palm skills. Any chance he was better than the Five Greats?

He was likely a generation older than the Greats and perhaps was one of those warriors said to have lost to Dook Goo Kau Bai.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He was likely a generation older than the Greats and perhaps was one of those warriors said to have lost to Dook Goo Kau Bai.
    Yeah he is one generation older than Greats since his mentor/master was one of Yu Fei comrades..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Yeah he is one generation older than Greats since his mentor/master was one of Yu Fei comrades..
    Wang Chongyang supposedly sent an invitation to Iron Palm Sect to the first Huashan Tournament, probably with Shangguan Jiannan in mind. But Shangguan was probably too old at the time to make it. Qiu Qianren had not completed his Iron Palm training and was not ready at the time.

In the TVB spin-off series The Mystery of the Condor Hero (David Chiang as East Heretic), Shangguan Jiannan makes an appearance in the first few episodes, played by actor Bao Fong. He fights against Huang Yaoshi.

You can see it here: https://youtu.be/LQA6_XPMbJk?t=419

Timecode is 6:59 in case the link doesn't work properly.

Even though this was a younger Huang Yaoshi, he was already very strong and was already known as "Eastern Heretic" in the wulin.

Additionally, earlier on in the scene he also fights against and gets the better of Qiu Qianren.
    "If you have ever ogled at a handsome man in entertainment medium, you have forfeited your right to complain about women being sexualized and objectified in entertainment medium."

I just happened to watch Mystery of the Condor Hero two weeks ago! Highly enjoyable.

This series has my favorite Ouyang Feng. The actor portrayed him well.

We saw how hard and diligently Ouyang Feng practiced to improve his martial arts. His skills reached new milestones several times in the series, and he went to challenge Huang Yaoshi and Wang Chongyang. Even when he lost, the audience and his opponent noted his improvement. Ouyang never gave up despite many soul crushing defeats and strived to become even stronger. I love his determination.

Ouyang's obsession with victory was well explained in this series. His family was in shambles. He desperately clinged to the hope that becoming the uncontested, best fighter would snap his mad older brother back into sanity, so that he could beg for his forgiveness and rekindle the brotherly affection of the past.

He also wanted to become the best for his nephew/biological son Ouyang Ke who REALLY looked up to his uncle Ouyang Feng, since that's his only sane relative and rolemodel, as his mother killed herself and father is insane.

Ouyang Feng throughout the series was ruthless, but had a sense of honor and generously treated those in whom he saw qualities such as courage. That's why he saved Mei Chaofeng whom he raised and taught martial arts to. Mei was initially a White Camel student then joined Peach Blossom school later.

He was sometimes forgiving and kind, like after his brother was released due to the incompetence of his underling. So he told his underling that while she is at fault, nothing can change the situation at this point, so he spoke kindly to her and didn't punish her further.

Other times he was strict, demanding and unforgiving, like at the end when he kept his letter of his word but not the spirit, he dispelled the poison... temporarily, saying that it would re-enact itself on Mei Chaofeng in a few months when he will present her corpse to Huang Yaoshi, saying how Mei betrayed both Huang Yaoshi and Ouyang himself.

I also loved the performances of the actor Liu Kai Chi for Zhou Botong! This guy also played the Crown Prince in the Grand Canal, one of my favorite series.

Wong Wai as Southern Emperor portrayed his role superbly. He was very regal in countenance, showcasing the noble character of an Emperor and the honor of an orthodox martial arts master. This is the same actor who excellently played the duplicitous Yue Buqun in 1996 State of Divinity.

I also like Bao Fang as Shanguan Jiannan and his martial arts brother (not student) Qiu Qianren who was the main villain played by Chu Tiet Wo (he played Ouyang Feng in 1994 LOCH but I liked his Qiu Qianren role here more, QQR had a lot more scenes where he could play a conniving powerful master, which the actor played well)

The fight scenes here don't have the advanced hand to hand choreography of 1980s series, but I still like the fight scenes very much. They have slow motion (which I have NO problem with, I like it after all), some artistic looking fight scenes with some decent hand to hand, and the SMALL amount of special effects add to the artistic value and empower the techniques.

For example, I loved the 1st Huashan tournament. The fighting was well done, no crazy abundance of special effects, and a lot of good fight choreography and just enough explosions to make things interesting. With Wang Chongyang elegantly edging out the other 4, but it was still a close contest.

Also, it has one of my favorite openings in all of wuxia! The song is excellent!

Goes very well with the beautiful scenes in the video. David Chiang plays a great Huang Yaoshi, and I LOVE his scene in the early part of his video where he pours wine over his sword.

https://youtu.be/9osfF4Vfj5s
    Last edited by Tian Chixing's Chef; 01-31-23 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tian Chixing's Chef View Post
    I just happened to watch Mystery of the Condor Hero two weeks ago! Highly enjoyable.
    I also like Bao Fang as Shanguan Jiannan and his martial arts brother (not student) Qiu Qianren who was the main villain played by Chu Tiet Wo (he played Ouyang Feng in 1994 LOCH but I liked his Qiu Qianren role here more, QQR had a lot more scenes where he could play a conniving powerful master, which the actor played well)
    Yeah Shanguan Jiannan and Qui Qianren seem to be martial arts brothers. The only possibility I can think of their master died, so Shanguan Jiannan took over and trained Qui Qianren himself as he became chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Tian Chixing's Chef View Post

This series has my favorite Ouyang Feng. The actor portrayed him well.

We saw how hard and diligently Ouyang Feng practiced to improve his martial arts. His skills reached new milestones several times in the series, and he went to challenge Huang Yaoshi and Wang Chongyang. Even when he lost, the audience and his opponent noted his improvement. Ouyang never gave up despite many soul crushing defeats and strived to become even stronger. I love his determination.

Ouyang's obsession with victory was well explained in this series. His family was in shambles. He desperately clinged to the hope that becoming the uncontested, best fighter would snap his mad older brother back into sanity, so that he could beg for his forgiveness and rekindle the brotherly affection of the past.

He also wanted to become the best for his nephew/biological son Ouyang Ke who REALLY looked up to his uncle Ouyang Feng, since that's his only sane relative and rolemodel, as his mother killed herself and father is insane.

Ouyang Feng throughout the series was ruthless, but had a sense of honor and generously treated those in whom he saw qualities such as courage. That's why he saved Mei Chaofeng whom he raised and taught martial arts to. Mei was initially a White Camel student then joined Peach Blossom school later.

He was sometimes forgiving and kind, like after his brother was released due to the incompetence of his underling. So he told his underling that while she is at fault, nothing can change the situation at this point, so he spoke kindly to her and didn't punish her further.

Other times he was strict, demanding and unforgiving, like at the end when he kept his letter of his word but not the spirit, he dispelled the poison... temporarily, saying that it would re-enact itself on Mei Chaofeng in a few months when he will present her corpse to Huang Yaoshi, saying how Mei betrayed both Huang Yaoshi and Ouyang himself.

I also loved the performances of the actor Liu Kai Chi for Zhou Botong! This guy also played the Crown Prince in the Grand Canal, one of my favorite series.

Wong Wai as Southern Emperor portrayed his role superbly. He was very regal in countenance, showcasing the noble character of an Emperor and the honor of an orthodox martial arts master. This is the same actor who excellently played the duplicitous Yue Buqun in 1996 State of Divinity.

The fight scenes here don't have the advanced hand to hand choreography of 1980s series, but I still like the fight scenes very much. They have slow motion (which I have NO problem with, I like it after all), some artistic looking fight scenes with some decent hand to hand, and the SMALL amount of special effects add to the artistic value and empower the techniques.

For example, I loved the 1st Huashan tournament. The fighting was well done, no crazy abundance of special effects, and a lot of good fight choreography and just enough explosions to make things interesting. With Wang Chongyang elegantly edging out the other 4, but it was still a close contest.

Also, it has one of my favorite openings in all of wuxia! The song is excellent!

Goes very well with the beautiful scenes in the video. David Chiang plays a great Huang Yaoshi, and I LOVE his scene in the early part of his video where he pours wine over his sword.

https://youtu.be/9osfF4Vfj5s
    Haha, this series was, to me, a complete nerdgasm, with David Chiang, Lo Lok Lam, Lau Kong, Wong Wai and Kong Hon playing the five greats. The greatest assembly of the five greats ever (because Kenneth Tsang, Yeung Chak Lam, Lau Siu Ming and Lau Dan did not have a Central Divinity in a major role with them, but even if they did, it would be a really close match). Watching Julian Cheung slowly devolve into Chen Xuanfeng was interesting, although we never really get to see how twisted the Black Wind Twin Demons get at the end.