Thread: Taboo of eavesdropping on martial arts teachings: which Great would learn like this?

Default Taboo of eavesdropping on martial arts teachings: which Great would learn like this?

I recall a few incidents where it was said that eavesdropping and stealing martial arts was considered shameful in wulin.

-When Hong Qigong taught the last 3 Dragon Palms to Guo Jing, he was confident that Ouyang Ke would not stoop so low as to steal those moves.

-When Zhang Sanfeng taught Taiji Fist and Taiji Sword, he did not care that there were many onlookers. Would ZSF taken offense if Ah San or Ah Da learned Taiji and used it for themselves? Or would he praise them for being smart and meticulous?

-When Jueyuan was dying, he recited the entire 9 Yang Shen Gong ONCE to those present. If a Great was there, would be take the chance to learn 9 Yang? I think many would. This is a very special circumstance where they could use the excuse "If I don't memorize this, then a great martial art would be lost to the sands of time".

I think Ouyang Feng would definitely "steal" 9 Yang Shen Gong and memorize it. Would Jueyuan stop reciting if he felt that West Poison was there? Or would he continue to recite anyway seeing how time was of the essence?

I think Huang Yaoshi would also memorize 9 Yang Shen Gong, since he was more than willing to deceive Zhou Botong and have his wife memorize the 2nd volume of 9 Yin.

Zhou Botong would definitely come near Jueyuan to hear 9 Yang, or just out of curiosity.

What do you guys think Hong Qigong or Southern Emperor (before he became a monk) would do in the 9 Yang situation?

Do you think any of the Greats would intently listen to Zhang Sanfeng teaching Taiji? I'm sure Zhou Botong would, the others, I think they would listen too out of curiosity and praise the art, maybe practice it themselves for fun, and Zhang did not really say it was a "secret teaching" only reserved for Wudang students did he?

I think we would have to make assumptions based on personality. Some of them are more ambitious and honorable than others. Hong Qigong was considered the most honorable out of all the Greats, also he doesn't really have the ambition to be the the greatest in Wulin. Huang Yaoshi would be more considered an anti-hero. He does have much ambition and walked that thin line between honor and dishonor. Although he has mellowed out a lot in golden years. Yideng the Monk is totally different from Yideng the Emperor.

Wang Chongyang has shown he was willing to learn a new style outside of his martial arts, as long as it's not demonic like in the 9 Yin manuals. However, it wasn't to be the best in Wulin but to keep evil doers like Ouyang Feng at bay. I don't think he would go as far as eavesdropping though. So the eavesdroppers for sure is Ouyang Feng, Huang Yaoshi, and maybe a younger Yideng.

Quote Originally Posted by metsrus View Post
    Wang Chongyang has shown he was willing to learn a new style outside of his martial arts, as long as it's not demonic like in the 9 Yin manuals. However, it wasn't to be the best in Wulin but to keep evil doers like Ouyang Feng at bay. I don't think he would go as far as eavesdropping though. So the eavesdroppers for sure is Ouyang Feng, Huang Yaoshi, and maybe a younger Yideng.
    There's nothing innately "demonic" about 9 Yum Jen Ging. Some of the users perverted it either because they didn't have the complete manual (Mui Chiu Fung and Chan Yeun Fung), got messed up versions of it (West Poison Au Yeung Fung), or didn't understand how it worked (Mui Chiu Fung and Chan Yeun Fung...again). The version created by Wong Seung was orthodox, and individuals such as Chow Bak Tung, Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, and Lady Yeung learned it completely and properly with no "demonic" effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    There's nothing innately "demonic" about 9 Yum Jen Ging. Some of the users perverted it either because they didn't have the complete manual (Mui Chiu Fung and Chan Yeun Fung), got messed up versions of it (West Poison Au Yeung Fung), or didn't understand how it worked (Mui Chiu Fung and Chan Yeun Fung...again). The version created by Wong Seung was orthodox, and individuals such as Chow Bak Tung, Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, and Lady Yeung learned it completely and properly with no "demonic" effects.
    But why did Wang Chongyang forbid all his sect members to learn from the 9 Yum Jen Ging?

But why did Wang Chongyang forbid all his sect members to learn from the 9 Yum Jen Ging?
    Because he didn't want to be accused of favoritism towards his own sect or for people to say that he only achieved the # 1 in wulin of his time because he relied on the 9 Yum Jen Ging. The man was proud.

Because he didn't want to be accused of favoritism towards his own sect or for people to say that he only achieved the # 1 in wulin of his time because he relied on the 9 Yum Jen Ging. The man was proud.
    Yeah but not long before he died he ended up with 9 Yin to counter Lin Chaoying's Jade Maiden Sword..

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Yeah but not long before he died he ended up with 9 Yin to counter Lin Chaoying's Jade Maiden Sword..
    That was a secret never meant to be discovered by the world.

That was a secret never meant to be discovered by the world.
    Which mean Wang Chongyang not proud enough 🤭🤭🤭🤭

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Which mean Wang Chongyang not proud enough 🤭🤭🤭🤭
    ...or maybe *too* proud. He couldn't resist the temptation to one-up her one last time, even if it was posthumously and by using a martial arts system that he didn't invent.

9Yin Manual has caused a lot of chaos within wulin fighters and he didn't want his disciples involved. Furthermore after he read 9yin manual, he think that it is aligned with what he already achieved and that's why for those who already learned his wugong in advanced actually didn't need 9yin any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tian Chixing's Chef View Post
    I recall a few incidents where it was said that eavesdropping and stealing martial arts was considered shameful in wulin.

-When Hong Qigong taught the last 3 Dragon Palms to Guo Jing, he was confident that Ouyang Ke would not stoop so low as to steal those moves.

-When Zhang Sanfeng taught Taiji Fist and Taiji Sword, he did not care that there were many onlookers. Would ZSF taken offense if Ah San or Ah Da learned Taiji and used it for themselves? Or would he praise them for being smart and meticulous?

-When Jueyuan was dying, he recited the entire 9 Yang Shen Gong ONCE to those present. If a Great was there, would be take the chance to learn 9 Yang? I think many would. This is a very special circumstance where they could use the excuse "If I don't memorize this, then a great martial art would be lost to the sands of time".

I think Ouyang Feng would definitely "steal" 9 Yang Shen Gong and memorize it. Would Jueyuan stop reciting if he felt that West Poison was there? Or would he continue to recite anyway seeing how time was of the essence?

I think Huang Yaoshi would also memorize 9 Yang Shen Gong, since he was more than willing to deceive Zhou Botong and have his wife memorize the 2nd volume of 9 Yin.

Zhou Botong would definitely come near Jueyuan to hear 9 Yang, or just out of curiosity.

What do you guys think Hong Qigong or Southern Emperor (before he became a monk) would do in the 9 Yang situation?

Do you think any of the Greats would intently listen to Zhang Sanfeng teaching Taiji? I'm sure Zhou Botong would, the others, I think they would listen too out of curiosity and praise the art, maybe practice it themselves for fun, and Zhang did not really say it was a "secret teaching" only reserved for Wudang students did he?
    For ZSF taught ZWJ in fornt of a lot of mass, i think it ZSF think that it is a right moment to announce the world about his achievement and his skills. Does he afraid someone learned it? No normal wulin fighters like 3rd Wudang disciples can only undertsood 30-40% of the essence, but to practice it even smart 5th Wudang it was said need 3 full years learning under ZSF tutorial. Only a few genius people in JY Universe like ZWJ,HR or Duan Yu can laerned it in instant or in a few hours. ZWJ has also benefit from his QYKNY to feel the energy flow when ZSF demonstrate it. Another most spectators can only watch & admire it and without knowing the essence and going home like nothing happened.