Thread: Jackie Chan has difficulty finding new action stars, only about how good you look

Default Jackie Chan has difficulty finding new action stars, only about how good you look

Jackie Chan Laments Difficulty Finding New Action Stars Saying Nowadays, "It’s Not How Good Your Kung Fu Is, It’s How Good You Look"

https://dramapanda.com/2023/03/jacki...-you-look.html

I think his views are very accurate. Gone are the days of the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s when male lead actors in Wuxia and Martial Arts dramas and movies can be "humble" and "down-to-earth" looking but with very good martial arts skills.

When I watch the old 1980s and 1990s TVB and AsiaTV Wuxias, there are male actors in the much lesser roles who would not even be allowed to even appear on screen of today's modern Wuxia series.

The same thing goes for the old Kung Fu movies (such as the ones on the Wu Tang Collection YouTube channel), some of the male lead actors would not even make it into the lesser roles of today's modern mainland Wuxia series.

If anyone here watches Korean dramas, then you'll notice that it's all about having handsome actors for the female audience to ogle, rather than the stories and substance. This is exactly the same kind of thing that has happened to modern "Wuxia".

I'm glad that Chan brought this up, because what he really means are male actors, because the majority of martial arts/Kung Fu stars are men. The "unrealistic beauty standards" victimhood card is always only reserved for and can only be used by women; the unrealistic physical standards for men is always ignored or shut down if anyone brings the issue up.

I wonder if we will ever seen the martial arts genre/industry return to it's traditional roots? These days I do see a lot of commenters (mostly men) everywhere on YouTube, Forums, Social Media, etc. say how the older Asian martial arts series and movies were far better than the modern stuff, which does give some hope. With the women however, they like the modern stuff instead (no prizes for guessing why ).
    "If you have ever ogled at a handsome man in entertainment medium, you have forfeited your right to complain about women being sexualized and objectified in entertainment medium."

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Jackie Chan's comments about the current state of the martial arts genre in film and television.
    Last edited by MichaelRenfrow; 12-07-23 at 06:53 AM.

I am waiting for his new movie.

The observation reflects the shift in martial arts films towards aesthetics over genuine skills. Fans yearn for the return of traditional roots, valuing martial arts prowess over appearance. I waiting for the movie.
    Last edited by VivienWalter; 03-28-24 at 08:47 AM.

I feel sad when I see him aging because our childhood was all about watching his films.