Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOL I DON'T get Chinese people anymore.

Default LOL I DON'T get Chinese people anymore.

Do every Chinese viewer want Romance-focused in every TV series they put out these days?

IF America or Europe does this, that is going to be complained about.

Where are shows have great Wuxia, action, fight, or straight up suspenseful plot?

Almost every TV series that's popular these days are like guy and girl have romance with each other as the standout of the plot. The other aspects of story is pushed aside as a side plot instead.

China romance-focused shows are way TOO much. As a American living Chinese, this is just crazy weird how that's a standard on almost EVERY Chinese series that's being put out.

Do every Chinese viewer want Romance-focused in every TV series they put out these days?
    It's the female audience who demands the romance-focused stuff. If you look at the Korean Drama industry and it's series, it's all about how handsome and "dreamy" the male actors are rather than the stories. This aspect has basically leaked into the Wuxia industry around the mid-2000s and the industry is now plagued with it. The same thing has been happening in Japanese dramas to a lesser degree but it's getting worse.

TVB used to put focus on the plot, fights, etc.; then they became more equal by matching the Romance quantity. Unfortunately they are now following the Mainland method.

It really is time to call a spade a spade. People (i.e. men) these days are too scared to state the truth (i.e. the female audience being the cause) in fear of getting cancelled and appearing "s£xist", but there has to be a point where the harsh truth needs to be said.

The situation is made worse by the hypocrisy of the same people (who are obsessed with handsome male actors) who regularly complain about beauty standards being too high for women and actresses. Yet we are not seeing any overweight and balding male actors in the main lead roles of these dramas.

When I was in Hong Kong, in the city I was in, there were a few small stores which sold DVDs, VCDs and tapes of Wuxia dramas. I went into these stores quite frequently (because they also sold video games as well), and on three occasions whilst in the stores I overheard young women saying to their female friends that they didn't want to watch a series because they didn't found the male actor handsome enough. These are the audiences that Wuxia directors and producers are pandering and catering to right now.

Where are shows have great Wuxia, action, fight, or straight up suspenseful plot?
    In the years 1970, 1980, 1990 and till the mid-2000s.
    "If you have ever ogled at a handsome man in entertainment medium, you have forfeited your right to complain about women being sexualized and objectified in entertainment medium."

God, it's so sad quality TV is dying in China. WTF China!????!

Also frankly sad that Asian/Chinese females care more about only romance than a necessary great plot, suspense centered

And, there is really NO hypocrisy in wanting attractive female leads, BUT you still prefer the suspense and good story is more important.

It's an issue when there is only romance mainly satisfying anyone.

And, there is really NO hypocrisy in wanting attractive female leads, BUT you still prefer the suspense and good story is more important.

The story is of course important as it is the basis of a series, I didn't say it wasn't. Instead, the stuff about the pandering to the female audience is the reason on why Wuxia has been flushed down the toilet, thus is why I brought the issue to light.

The problem is that there seems to be an increasing notion/agenda to force people into valuing the female actresses or characters not on their looks, but on their personality and the things they do, shaming anyone who doesn't follow this "rule". However, they do not hold the same rule for the male actors or characters, which is where the hypocrisy comes in.

It is clear that the female audience, young and old, are disliking seeing/looking at attractive women in Asian Dramas because it makes them jealous and insecure, especially if the female actress is the love interest of the obligatory handsome dreamy good-looking male lead character (the main guy that's there for all the female audience to ogle at).

This is why producers/directors are trying to sneakily implement elements of BL (Boy's Love) into Wuxia, so that the female audience do not have to look at attractive women anymore. With BL relationships, the female audience can ogle both male characters instead of getting disgusted by an attractive female character. It is exactly like Yaoi in Anime/Manga, where relationships are male & male, essentially removing the female character. Yaoi fangirls or the "fujoshi" have made it clear that they hate looking at attractive female characters.
    "If you have ever ogled at a handsome man in entertainment medium, you have forfeited your right to complain about women being sexualized and objectified in entertainment medium."

not only female, even male in my country love to watch romance dramas, we are in era of feminine male

times have changed.
    Best Wuxia author of all time : master Jin Yong

Banned

Thanks for the info, I didn't know it.

i just created the list a non-romance-centric wuxia and xianxia dramas.

https://mydramalist.com/list/3rWQpoE4

if you can find any title not on the list, please feel free to tell me or add yourself

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    i just created the list a non-romance-centric wuxia and xianxia dramas.

https://mydramalist.com/list/3rWQpoE4

if you can find any title not on the list, please feel free to tell me or add yourself

Really AWESOME. Thanks!

Can you inform me of any titles last 6 months - 12 months?

I am pretty sure I watch 1 of them but also missed out on a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeFletcher View Post
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know it.
    So I don't know who else here watched the highly popular American movie 'Barbie' this week?

This movie is directed and cast majority of females and several HANDSOME males.

I won't spoil much.

However, can say not even with this kind of movie it's the female Barbies kissing males all movie long!

The western culture and these Chinese/Asian culture certainly are different!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    Really AWESOME. Thanks!

Can you inform me of any titles last 6 months - 12 months?

I am pretty sure I watch 1 of them but also missed out on a lot.
    other than Mysterious Lotus Casebook (which is currently airing), none of the titles have been released, nor the release date announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    So I don't know who else here watched the highly popular American movie 'Barbie' this week?

This movie is directed and cast majority of females and several HANDSOME males.

I won't spoil much.

However, can say not even with this kind of movie it's the female Barbies kissing males all movie long!

The western culture and these Chinese/Asian culture certainly are different!
    Don't bother with the Barbie movie, beneath the surface it is just feminist propaganda to further a load of man-hating rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconPunch190 View Post
    Don't bother with the Barbie movie, beneath the surface it is just feminist propaganda to further a load of man-hating rubbish.
    NO, it is not .

Man-hating is never the message unless you have no critical thinking skills.

The message is very much man-loving, BUT also embracing feminism very strongly. Yes, there is feminism that's radiated very powerfully, but that does NOT equate anyway to man-hating.

Women suffered, and wanted equality for a long time now to male counterparts.

GO SEE Barbie!!!

The end message (which I don't want to spoil you if you haven't seen it yet so I will be vague) instead of saying women should dominate men, or that men like Ken are just there for Barbie's love interest and nothing else, is something... MORE meaningful that's very respectful to men, actually!

But I understand, a lot of American Republicans and Chinese man still thinks female should not have men-power jobs, and be a lesser and be just housewives or something, sexism in society is still very much there.

Anyway, going off-topic a little bit, back on topic again the point is that in America they don't make even Barbie movie where she is just going around kissing Kens the whole movie.

Women's point of existence isn't to only be man's love interest mainly, woman CAN be as smart and as powerful as man.