Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Huang Yao Shi martial art

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    83

    Default Huang Yao Shi martial art

    I'm a bit confused with Huang Yao Shi. First, because he's considered as one of the five most powerful Master in Jianghu, but his techniques seems not memorable enough, if compared to Hung Qi Gong, Yi Deng and Ouyang Feng. It feel like that Huang Yao Shi doesn't has any signature moves. A technique that powerful enough that make him comparable to another master.

    So what do you think? Can someone tell me about Huang Yao Shi martial art? What is Huang's strong point that make his kungfu comparable to Hung Qi Gong, Ouyang Feng, Yi Deng and Wang Chongyang?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Also Huang Yao Shi feel a bit odd as character. First, there is no story that tell about his early life. Who was he? How can he become a very powerful sword master? Where did he get his kungfu from? It feel like that both his character and his kungfu didn't has any lineage. Unlike Beggar Clan's 18 Subduing Dragon, Yi Deng 1 Finger Tech. Huang Yaoshi kungfu feel like magically appear, then magically disappear after he died. There is no story about his kungfu before the life of Huang Yao Shi, there is none about them after he died.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainsuker View Post
    I'm a bit confused with Huang Yao Shi. First, because he's considered as one of the five most powerful Master in Jianghu, but his techniques seems not memorable enough, if compared to Hung Qi Gong, Yi Deng and Ouyang Feng. It feel like that Huang Yao Shi doesn't has any signature moves. A technique that powerful enough that make him comparable to another master.

    So what do you think? Can someone tell me about Huang Yao Shi martial art? What is Huang's strong point that make his kungfu comparable to Hung Qi Gong, Ouyang Feng, Yi Deng and Wang Chongyang?
    Huang Yaoshi have Divine Finger Snap as his best arts which mention by JY this technique almost as good as Yideng's Yiyang Finger but yeah like you thought he never excel in palm/fist arts sword/weapon arts or inner power arts that's why most people quite underestimate his martial arts..

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Huang Yaoshi have Divine Finger Snap as his best arts which mention by JY this technique almost as good as Yideng's Yiyang Finger but yeah like you thought he never excel in palm/fist arts sword/weapon arts or inner power arts that's why most people quite underestimate his martial arts..
    He also had the jade flute swordplay. But OP has a point, how did he learn/create the divine finger snap and jade flute swordplay?
    There was a TVB series in I think the early 90s which was about his early years and how he met his wife (who was a Holy Lady) but that also didn't explain how he learned/created his martial arts.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSDefiantJazz View Post
    He also had the jade flute swordplay. But OP has a point, how did he learn/create the divine finger snap and jade flute swordplay?
    There was a TVB series in I think the early 90s which was about his early years and how he met his wife (who was a Holy Lady) but that also didn't explain how he learned/created his martial arts.
    Most people assume he had something to do with Lingjiu Palace from Demi God Semi Devil, but Jin Yong never confirmed this theory. It would make sense and would also explain how he had such a diverse range of skills. Remember HYS was accomplished in medicine, hidden weapons, ,music, divination etc...

  6. #6
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,365

    Default

    Wasn't it written that East Heretic's father had been an important government official?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Wasn't it written that East Heretic's father had been an important government official?
    When Chow Bak Tung was telling Guo Jing the story of the 9 Yin Manual, he mentioned that Huang Shang the government official wrote it and was not related to Huang Yaoshi.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Most people assume he had something to do with Lingjiu Palace from Demi God Semi Devil, but Jin Yong never confirmed this theory. It would make sense and would also explain how he had such a diverse range of skills. Remember HYS was accomplished in medicine, hidden weapons, ,music, divination etc...
    Or maybe he has a connection with Murong Family? Well, Murong Fu became a mad man at the end of Tian Long Ba Bu. But still Murong family still has a very diverse or martial art, and a library for it. Even if Murong Fu didn't has any children, because he was mad, but some of his maid should have married and have children, and continue the Murong legacy. Maybe Huang Yaoshi had some relation with them, or maybe he stole some of the martial art from the library. Who know?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainsuker View Post
    Or maybe he has a connection with Murong Family? Well, Murong Fu became a mad man at the end of Tian Long Ba Bu. But still Murong family still has a very diverse or martial art, and a library for it. Even if Murong Fu didn't has any children, because he was mad, but some of his maid should have married and have children, and continue the Murong legacy. Maybe Huang Yaoshi had some relation with them, or maybe he stole some of the martial art from the library. Who know?
    Or maybe Huang Yaoshi was even the descendant of one of Murong's maid?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSDefiantJazz View Post
    He also had the jade flute swordplay. But OP has a point, how did he learn/create the divine finger snap and jade flute swordplay?
    There was a TVB series in I think the early 90s which was about his early years and how he met his wife (who was a Holy Lady) but that also didn't explain how he learned/created his martial arts.
    This is the early 90s TVB series I was referring to, Mystery of the Condor Hero. Pretty sure it's not "canon".


  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSDefiantJazz View Post
    He also had the jade flute swordplay. But OP has a point, how did he learn/create the divine finger snap and jade flute swordplay?
    There was a TVB series in I think the early 90s which was about his early years and how he met his wife (who was a Holy Lady) but that also didn't explain how he learned/created his martial arts.
    Jade Flute Sword is not Huang Yaoshi finnest arts that's why we never seen Huang Yaoshi use it throughout L/ROCH..

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Jade Flute Sword is not Huang Yaoshi finnest arts that's why we never seen Huang Yaoshi use it throughout L/ROCH..
    Huang Yaoshi taught it to Yang Guo in order to beat Li Mouchou. Yang Guo seemed to think it was a superior martial art.
    Also, wouldn't every time he used his jade flute as a weapon mean he's using the Jade Flute Swordplay?

  13. #13
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSDefiantJazz View Post
    When Chow Bak Tung was telling Guo Jing the story of the 9 Yin Manual, he mentioned that Huang Shang the government official wrote it and was not related to Huang Yaoshi.
    Wong Yerk See was not related to 9 Yum Jen Ging creator Wong Seung, but you don't need to be related to Wong Seung to have a dad who worked for the Sung government. Like most Chinese dynasties, the Sung employed a huge bureaucracy, and the surname "Wong" is one of the most common in China. I do distinctly remember it being mentioned that Wong Yerk See's father was a government official.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSDefiantJazz View Post
    Huang Yaoshi taught it to Yang Guo in order to beat Li Mouchou. Yang Guo seemed to think it was a superior martial art.
    Also, wouldn't every time he used his jade flute as a weapon mean he's using the Jade Flute Swordplay?
    Nope he never use Jade Flute Sword in combat since JY never mention it so it's only random flute skills not necessary Jade Flute Sword..

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USSDefiantJazz View Post
    This is the early 90s TVB series I was referring to, Mystery of the Condor Hero. Pretty sure it's not "canon".

    They should make an excellent Wuxia Drama like this again. With more detail, including the origin of Huang Yaoshi kungfu.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2023
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainsuker View Post
    They should make an excellent Wuxia Drama like this again. With more detail, including the origin of Huang Yaoshi kungfu.
    I just want to take the opporunity to say, the actress that plays the Huang Yaoshi's wife aka the Holy Lady is wicked hot. I hope she was popular back in the day.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Wong Yerk See was not related to 9 Yum Jen Ging creator Wong Seung, but you don't need to be related to Wong Seung to have a dad who worked for the Sung government. Like most Chinese dynasties, the Sung employed a huge bureaucracy, and the surname "Wong" is one of the most common in China. I do distinctly remember it being mentioned that Wong Yerk See's father was a government official.
    Here's what written on his fandom page:
    "Huang Yaoshi grew up in the Yunnan province. Several generations earlier, his family was banished to the province after his grandfather, a government official at the time, petitioned that the general Yue Fei was innocent. His grandfather was unsuccessful and was demoted and later beheaded for his continual support of Yue Fei.

    Huang Yaoshi learned both literary and martial arts, studying literature under his father's tutelage. His martial arts teacher is unknown. He proved to be a polymath, gaining great knowledge of medicine and chemistry, martial arts, music and calligraphy, and making a deep study of the symbolism and application of the Five Elements and Eight Trigrams from the I-Ching. As he grew older, he felt that his family was wronged by the government, often arguing with his father over the belief to unconditionally love and protect one's emperor. In protest, he refused to participate in the provincial examinations, leading to his father disowning him. Starting from then he roamed the Central Plains, writing rebellious poems and texts on the walls of all government institutions, earning him the title of Heretic. The government sent out people to track him down, but in vain."

    Seems like his character was a bit inspired by Song Jiang from the Water Margin.

  18. #18
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    24,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metsrus View Post
    Here's what written on his fandom page:
    "Huang Yaoshi grew up in the Yunnan province. Several generations earlier, his family was banished to the province after his grandfather, a government official at the time, petitioned that the general Yue Fei was innocent. His grandfather was unsuccessful and was demoted and later beheaded for his continual support of Yue Fei.

    Huang Yaoshi learned both literary and martial arts, studying literature under his father's tutelage. His martial arts teacher is unknown. He proved to be a polymath, gaining great knowledge of medicine and chemistry, martial arts, music and calligraphy, and making a deep study of the symbolism and application of the Five Elements and Eight Trigrams from the I-Ching. As he grew older, he felt that his family was wronged by the government, often arguing with his father over the belief to unconditionally love and protect one's emperor. In protest, he refused to participate in the provincial examinations, leading to his father disowning him. Starting from then he roamed the Central Plains, writing rebellious poems and texts on the walls of all government institutions, earning him the title of Heretic. The government sent out people to track him down, but in vain."

    Seems like his character was a bit inspired by Song Jiang from the Water Margin.
    Grandfather instead of father, but I was quite confident (and you have verified) that East Heretic indeed was born into a family of government officials.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Grandfather instead of father, but I was quite confident (and you have verified) that East Heretic indeed was born into a family of government officials.
    I also like that JY left his martial arts background a bit ambiguous, leaving it to the readers' imagination. It adds to the mystery of the heretic from society.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metsrus View Post
    I also like that JY left his martial arts background a bit ambiguous, leaving it to the readers' imagination. It adds to the mystery of the heretic from society.
    Well, If Huang Yaoshi is an average jack of all trade talent who can do everything, but in average way, then we don't need to ask his martial art source any more. He can just learn his martial art from his family, or from the military camp nearby. Or from a martial art school in the neighborhood. Or maybe he can just learn his martial art from a Shifu on the stree.

    The problem is, Huang Yaoshi is one of the five top Master in Jiang Hu. In order for him to stand against the master of 18 Subduing Dragon Palm, and the 1 Finger Yang Qi martial arts, he also needs high level martial arts that also has great ability. And that kind of kungfu can't be created as easily as making a pancake.

    Yang Guo needs maybe 16 years in order to create his Sad Palm (or whatever it name), Huang Shang need 40 years and more to create 9 Yin. So even if Huang Yaoshi create his own kungfu, it will be an average kungfu at best. Unless he learnt several high level kungfu like Yang Guo.

    It also a question about Wang Chongyang. where did his kungfu come from?

Similar Threads

  1. The irony of Huang Yao Shi
    By hyoyatika in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-19, 11:06 AM
  2. Jing Zhong Yue Fei - Huang Xiao Ming, Gallen Lo, Ruby Lin, Lui Shi Shi
    By IloveMimiLo in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-18-12, 05:42 PM
  3. Huang Yao Shi - Undeserved admiration?
    By remixedasian in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-27-12, 10:37 PM
  4. huang yao shi's martial arts
    By LuNaR in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-12, 05:21 PM
  5. Huang Yao Shi vs. Yideng (Post 16 Years ROCH)
    By Whsie in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-05-06, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •