Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golden Wheel Monk and Guo Jing contradictions

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    I don't understand your English. Do you mean instead galloping, the uses his hands to push the wheels a side. He is riding a horse; of course he is to reign and gallop the horse with his hands. His hands are occupied. Riding a horse with reigning and galloping is a dangerous activity.

Guo Jing was in a very dangerous situation. The odds were against him; this was not a normal wulin duel. He had to get back to Xiang Yang as soon as possible as he was the unofficial commander of Xiang Yang.
    Ok I quit..

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Dear West Eccentric,

I apologize. I read that paragraph again and it does say that he dare not catch it. I am sorry that I was so stubborn.

With that said, dare not catch doesn't mean cannot catch, but now we are arguing semantics. I dare not kill a cockroach, but it doesn't mean I cannot.
    Last edited by Athena; 11-23-23 at 04:06 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post

No one is interested in this topic.
    Not so, but you have stated your case so well that little remains for us to challenge or contradict. It all checks out.

The Golden Wheel Monk is a powerhouse, but his own cowardly character and poor battle instincts are invariably his undoing against high-level opponents. He can bully those weaker than him, but collapses quickly against those who can match his power.

I'm of the opinion that author intent is stronger than any feat or anti-feat. So putting it in reverse for a second and asking the question "What does JY intend by saying GWM~=GJ 1000~ stances yadayada but also continually showing GJ in a good light and GWM in a bad light?"

If the frame of mind is indexed on "who is stronger?" or "if a is > b and b > c then a > c", than we'd reach the conclusion GJ>GWM.
    If the frame of mind is indexed on "what is the author intention?", well that's highly variable depending on who you ask , but I'd say it means GJ~=GWM and GWM is just highly incompetent and that bleeds into these various "events" we see.

Kind of like those shonen protagonists that are very strong but also goofy/incompetent/silly.

I would say GJ would not necessarily be able to beat GWM in a straight 1v1 fight for a 1000 stances but GWM would also not necessarily be able to beat GJ easily even with help from others in a Xv1. GJ has shown to be able to fight off multiple opponents fairly easily (in fact, I'd say he's the best? in the trilogy for that).

cheers, and happy thanksgivings

I agree with Athena's premise that GJ doesn't need 1000 stances to defeat Pre-16 years GWM. I always thought that sentence was an insult to GJ, considering the wealth of evidence that GWM is just not on par as a fighter. Could we really imagine GJ (or any other LOCH Great) getting hit on the head by Ma Guangzuo, needing 30 stances to defeat Zhao Zhijing and Yin Zhiping, needing 100 stances to defeat Li Mochou, having his food embarrassingly snatched by ZBT, almost losing to XLN (even if GJ didn't know L/R), etc etc etc?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I agree with Athena's premise that GJ doesn't need 1000 stances to defeat Pre-16 years GWM. I always thought that sentence was an insult to GJ, considering the wealth of evidence that GWM is just not on par as a fighter. Could we really imagine GJ (or any other LOCH Great) getting hit on the head by Ma Guangzuo, needing 30 stances to defeat Zhao Zhijing and Yin Zhiping, needing 100 stances to defeat Li Mochou, having his food embarrassingly snatched by ZBT, almost losing to XLN (even if GJ didn't know L/R), etc etc etc?
    I seriously think it's all mental with Golden Wheel Monk; he lets stuff get into his head and then fails to execute.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    If memory serves me right, the 1000 stance assessment came after the first clash between GJ and GWM. The exchange was brief with both sides competing primarily in internal power. So we can assume the '1000 stance' was an estimate on how long it would take GJ to overcome GWM in terms of power alone.

The 'defeats' of GWM are more like him temporally losing the upper hand against inferior opponents rather than them actually defeating him to the point he could not fight back. Given time his superior strength would have overcome all those opponents.