Thread: ROCH Anime

Default ROCH Anime

Don't have much to time to do anything nowadays but I've managed to caught the first two thirds of the opening epsiode of the ROCH anime and thought I might as well share my thoughts on it. I missed the opening bit so hopefuly someone can fill me in.

I managed to watch the bit from when Guo Jing takes Yang Guo to mount Zhong Nan to learn martial arts at Quan Zhen sect.

First off, the animation. It's nothing spectacular but not too crap either so it's passable. The fight scenes however so far are nothing to shout about. I see better stuff in Jackie Chan adventures. When Guo Jing used his Dragon Palm, it reminded me of Felix Wong in LOCH 83 when the dragon animation cames up whenever he used the Dragon Palms so that's kinda cool but it's just a red blur coming out of Guo Jing's hand. Very spectacular indeed. (I'm being sarcastic by the way for those who can't tell). Fight scenes as I mentioned before aren't very good. The voices. I'm watching the cantonese dubbed version and I don't mind the voices they have used so far but Yang Guo sounds a bit old. (Maybe they made his voice broke early or something... I don't know). Next comes the closeness to the novel. I guess it's fairly accurate so far except they made Yang Guo go in the tomb and see Xiao Long Nuu right at the very start. What were the script writers thinking?! I was hoping to see Guo Jing verse the Grand Dipper Formation but he just fought the seven guys and that was it (though they did kinda, and I mean kinda followed the novel in how he defeated them). Hopefully mainland ROCH will show this but I doubt it. They didn't go into much detail about how Lin Chao Ying won the tomb from Wong Chong Yang but that's not very important. However, it might give the impression of non readers of the novel that Lin Chao Ying defeated Wong Chong Yang in martial arts outright. What else... Oh yeah, the characters look okay I guess but Xiao Long Nuu should wear WHITE!! Most important thing, did I enjoy it and would I recommend it to ROCH fans. I guess I did enjoy it but that's because I've been starved of watching anime and roch adaptations. I guess ROCH fans might enjoy this alternative adaptation of ROCH. That's all for now. Will post more when I watch the next episode. Night all

Is this version that have Andy lau 's voice as Yang Guo in the Cantonese version?

I heard lots of good things about it. But can't get my hand on this yet. (only the Japanese version )
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I've watched half of this series in HK and the voice is not Andy Lau - not yet anyway and I've watched up to the part where they rescue Kau Cheen Chek from the passionless valley

but the opening song for the Canto version is sung by Andy Lau with the music sharing similarities with the Roch84 tune - yes, I think it is a very good song

does anyone know the name of the song? i wanna download it
    Formerly DuGu Qiu Bai

my complaint so far: HYS and Sa Gu never showed up
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Well, I've watched all of the avaliable season and...

The fighting was good. Nothing spectacular, but it served its purpose. In a way, animation is the only place one could do justice to XLN's grace when she fights. I haven't seen that much in the way of wuxia anime, so I suppose I'm not the best judge.

It's relatively accurate. Personally, I found the charactersations very accurate, even if the plot sometimes deviated, which I find essential. I think they pretty much managed to capture the essence of the cast and present them believably on screen. The story moves quite quickly and isn't episodic so it retains great momentum. The simplicity of the way YG says "of course" to LWX's question about his Guo guo's beauty being a classic moment.

Bits and pieces are compressed and the storyline is simplified. Bits from LotCH are summarised and they present YH is a slightly more flattering light than some would. I daresay that by and large it is more accurate in some aspects than the TVB adaptations. (EG: characters normally don't randomly appear in scenes where they're not supposed to.)

However, it all goes downhill shortly after the passion flower episode. Or rather, it ceases to exist. They only have about up to Chapter 22 done in anime and in order to force some kind of conclusion and closure to the storyline they made YG do something he would never do, ever, ever, ever. It's almost as though they've planned to the whole thing, got bored and decided to force an ending onto the series. But aside from what I'd judge to be the last twenty minutes of it, it's very watchable.

Everyone has their own envisions of what the characters look like - I had no particular qualms about the liberties the Japanese take with hair colour and costume. They style they adopted does have its aesthetic appeal.

Not a series for the adamant purist, but good fun for anyone who doesn't mind another interpratation.

Yang Guo go in the tomb and see Xiao Long Nuu right at the very start. What were the script writers thinking?!
    Personally, not the biggest deviation from canon when compared to the mysterious and very much extended appearances of our dear foreign prince and Huang Yong in the Tomb in the 80s TVB production. Or the sheer ridiculous moments when YG dressed up in a tigerskin in the same series.

They didn't go into much detail about how Lin Chao Ying won the tomb from Wong Chong Yang but that's not very important. However, it might give the impression of non readers of the novel that Lin Chao Ying defeated Wong Chong Yang in martial arts outright.
    I think they got around to explaining that later in the series, or it could be just my memory... all the sidestories were slivered down a little... if you're particularily attatched to say, YNP may be disappointed with her brief appearance. Then again, at least she showed up at the right time (unlike aforementioned TVB series), gave the audience a tantilising taste of her story and didn't outstay her welcome.

PS: Sorry, I'm halfway through watching aforesaid TVB series and various aspects of it, such as deviations from canon annoy me. Especially when characterisation and motivation goes astray. Though, yes, I still love it deeply.

One more thing. Perhaps the most irritating thing about the anime, but you've probably deduced that by reading my rant about the abrupt, nonsensical ending: the Condor is gone. Thus the title make no sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by jetso; 03-18-04 at 07:26 PM.
    Reality is but that beyond the margins of my page, the annoying breaths one must re-emerge for and gasp in between dreams. It does nothing more than frame the ink and paper world of another’s imaginings.

What I like most about this anime is that the storyline does not deviates much from the original storyline...well not much..
    Eric Bana= Hot
    Brad Pitt= GOD

I'm not sure about what this says about my observation skills, but another note about what was cut from the anime which may or maynot discourage you from watching it: the mongolian invasion was played down, thus the entire mess in the Valley doesn't involve the band of Mongolians. Yang Guo goes in having heard a rumour about a woman who looks like his Gugu, instead of playing tagalong to a motley crew of Mongolian experts. I can't say they were sorely missed (they don't contribute that much to the happenings in the Valley save fanning the fire), but if you have any great attatchments to them, then you may feel otherwise.
    Reality is but that beyond the margins of my page, the annoying breaths one must re-emerge for and gasp in between dreams. It does nothing more than frame the ink and paper world of another’s imaginings.