Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to General Comments?

Default What happened to General Comments?

Just wondering what happened to the general comments thread and why was it deleted?
    The New Bi Xue Jian Rocks!

Webshots - Free Beautiful Photos

The GC forum was closed after careful consideration and because of many reasons.

You can find SC's announcement here:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/announce...?s=&forumid=13

"Dear members,

After A LOT of thinking over this, I have decided (quite finally) that the General Comments forum will be closed. This is due to a number of reasons that I have been weighing for quite a long time. The most important reason is that I feel that this specific forum has not been progressing in the direction that I want it to be in alignment with the site and any enforcement of what I think is the 'right direction' will be unfair to you guys and gals--since it is my own biased opinion.

I know alot of you will be disappointed, along with those who don't give a crap about the forum anyway. So, aside from losing heart over the general attitude of some members, I really think that it's time for me to close this section for my own peace of mind.

If anyone wants to start their own forum as an outgrowth of the General Comments forum, feel free to do so. I'll also be available to give advice if someone needs help on setting one up.

The General Comments forum will be closed on Monday. Once again, the decision is final.

Thanks everyone who participated in this particular forum during the good and bad times."
    "The gentlemen first practices what he preaches and then preaches what he practices." - Confucius

I think that wasn't enough of a sufficient reason. What has gone wrong exactly? o.O

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    I think that wasn't enough of a sufficient reason. What has gone wrong exactly? o.O
    誰知道﹖ 雖然我覺得GENERALCOMMENTS沒啥不好的。

To many it doesn't matter anymore.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

I would say just respect her decision.
    It is her site... further.. this isn't even technical question regarding the site.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

It is her site
    *GASPS*

I respect her decision, but am disappointed, since I felt that General Comments was somewhere where we were able to express any topic we wanted to, but now that it's gone, I think the problem won't be solved, everything will just be crammed into Open Debate. I personally really liked General Comments...I still don't see what was wrong with it...

I'll say this once, since some members seem to think it's over a personal grudge or that I'm kicking out members or that it's some mod-struggle thing. So this is to dispel the rumours, gossip, and bashing going about. As a matter of fact, the mods didn't even know I was closing the forum down when it happened. They knew when other members knew and it came as a surprise to them too.

A couple of years ago (or even a year ago), I didn't have to do anything to maintain the forum aside from the occasional banning, uploading of avatar, or mass deleting of old posts. Ever since the problems with the Relationships forum (which when I think back, should've never existed in the first place), it's closure, then other forum issues, I felt that I was spending more and more time thinking and worrying about the forum.

Hey, when I have to come home every day after a late day at work in front of a computer and read complaints and mediate quarrels most of the rest of night, something must not be right. Especially when I have over a 100 reviews backlogged and I don't have the energy or mood to update the site because I'm frusterated by some forum issue. At times, I didn't even want to look at the forum because some of the things being said to each other was so ugly but had to since I am the admin. Not to mention, some of the members really had no respect for what the mods said just because it was said through a mod. They just took the chance every time to add the extra sarcastic, put-down remark which is pretty discouraging after a while.

If I could go back in time, I'd probably never open up the Relationships forum since I felt it started to change the dynamics of the forum. It made many members who joined associate the forum not as a place to find information and discuss tv/movies but as a place to flirt. That led to a whole lot of what I felt was inappropriate discussion for the minor audience (and quite a lot of minors frequent here) and every time any kind of deleting/closing of threads or warnings led to resentment from members targetted towards the mods.

Many of the members who were angry over the closure of the General Comments forum seemed to think that this forum is the General Comments forum and left for WW immediately. It is the exact reason why I felt I needed to close the GC forum. I didn't want the whole forum to be associated as the GC forum. If you're a member and think that when one forum out of over 20 is closed and that's the equivalent of being kicked out, then what I can I say? If I wanted to banish anyone, I'd ban you, and just you.

So, sure, of course I knew that membership would be hurt and that a lot of members would be upset. I really enjoyed reading many of the funny, goofy threads too. But I felt that the forum dynamics had changed too and on the other hand, I just don't want to dedicate the massive amount of time anymore in my life. Also, I didn't think this was something I needed to say to members because it sounds like I'm disappointed by the members, but I'm not. I have no grudges against any member (unless I banned you) and still don't. Just that I felt the forum needs to change back to its review/wuxia core and develop that, become better, without getting engulfed by the GC forum.

The Internet's a free place and members are always welcome here. And if a member does not wish to stay anymore, the door's also open.

And for some, any reason will never be good enough, but that is mine. That's all I have to say on this issue, so now carry on with your bashing.
    -SC

Thumbs up

Respect your decision as always, SC. Knowing you, it must have taken a lot of ruminating and pondering to come to this fateful conclusion. First and foremost, I always believed this forum should concentrate on focusing entertainment topics in the East Asian arena.

You'll always have my full support. Keep up the excellent work.

Thank you SPC to bring that up.
    That is exactly why I quit being a mod here.

I have given some thoughts to the site of SPC. It was a hard decesion for me to make because.. aside from TKL and SPC, I am probably the oldest member of SPC. I didn't feel much appericiated in this forum. Because forum was rather focused on somethingelse.

I did a lot of effort to make Japanaes/Korean section better, but I didn't feel much appereciation there either.

I guess I need a fresh start from somewhere. SPC had too much bitter sweet memory of too much melo drama.

So I am contributing more in WW at the moment. A lot of people didn't come to WW when I was working my arse off to help the owner. However, soon as GC closed .. a lot of them came to WW.
    (I made MKB because of my dear darling love in my real life, can't lose him.. also for other Indo friends).. think about yourself. What you could provide to the site.

I have more hopes in WW and.. probably when SPC becomes peaceful my information providing will continue here.

That is it for now.

Enjoy your time being.

Yon

by the way.. SC is right. Relationship forum shouldn't have existed without strict rule set up with active moderator who has some jokes and straight attitude.

So... does that make me the oldest non-Admin member in SPCNet?

Anyways, Yon: good luck on wuxiaworld and I hope everything turns out alright there for ya, hope the new wuxiaworld don't go down the path of the old wuxiaworld.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Thanks Moiny. Granny Yonny will deduct browni points for people who go against rules.. that will apply to anyone.

Law doesn't have friends!!

Yes.. You are the oldest member. I will drop by every now and then and post some stop. I still have that episode guide thing that I have to finish up for the readers. I will continue my translation in WW.

Thank you again.

Yonny sayang everyone.

Yon

Ahhhhhh.......peace and tranquility....just like the good old times..
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

I haven't been here for a while and so many things happened
    Yon, you make me sound like an old nanny just like you

Well, I think people should be satisfied with your explanation now, SC, no one else should be upset or hold any grudges. I support your reason, though, since this is a review site after all, where people come to find info about TV series and movies.
    I too miss the GC forum. Some of the threads were really funny and harmless. But if it takes that much of time to mod a forum, it's certainly not fun anymore.
    If a man could be at two places at one time, I'll be with you
    Tomorrow and today, beside you all the way

I remember back in the days... tisk tisk... there weren't any forums below other then the TVB/ATV etc forums... maybe it should go back to the way it was... Less probs for Spcnet... Thus on the other hand, if you want relationship, GC & all that... most of us had migrated already for that.

There's no member a forum will die without, and there's no forum a member can't live without. The administrator has the right to do he/she wants with a forum, and people have the freedom to come and go.

My point is: Don't take it too seriously. Whether one is the admin, a mod, or a member, we are all here to enjoy what the internet offers. And forums are not necessarily exclusive.

Expression
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Originally posted by expression
    There's no member a forum will die without, and there's no forum a member can't live without. The administrator has the right to do he/she wants with a forum, and people have the freedom to come and go.

My point is: Don't take it too seriously. Whether one is the admin, a mod, or a member, we are all here to enjoy what the internet offers. And forums are not necessarily exclusive.

Expression
    Yeah I know... Kinda like, a king needs the people as much as the people needs a king. However, I think it's better off that it was the way it was before... To tell you the truth, I like the old Spcnet. Whenever I have a question about serials, I go on here, & if I wanted to discuss I go to the forums... Now it's just something else & the itching senstation & tempation of scrolling down to chat is unimaginable. I rather go somehwere else for that, I don't want Spcnet to have to stress over it cuz I know that I wouldn't wanna deal with it to. 1 less person can make a differences. Besides, I follow where the wind takes me.

I know some had taken it seriously, however it's the people's interest wheither they are here or there. So don't worry about it Expression. People can think what they want, but they should respect each place they go to.

Dont kno where, but it sure is pretty. :]

Wat happen???
    SarangHaeYo Shinhwa!
    Avi featuring the beautiful Han Ga In! Current Obsession.

Umm... the GC closed down... a lot of peeps mirgated to WW.