Thread: Common Plots/Theme

Question Common Plots/Theme

We've all seen or read wuxia adaptations or novels and are quite familar with the common plots and themes of them...I just felt the need to see it on "paper".

So what are the common plot or theme in wuxia novels?

List or name them. I'm not talking about hero falls off the cliff and achieve high martial arts but what I'm trying to say is the main point or message or events? in the novel.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

LOCH- what it takes be a hero, and the struggle to maintain this ideal.

The Smiling Proud Wander- Hypocrisy. Do whatever you want regardless of tradition and other's opinion as long you feel like it.

Since the genre is wuxia, the theme of good over evil is always predominately outlined. There are also sub-themes and plots, which are not always strongly depicted, but are a backbone to convey the entire story. Some of these are; heroism, innocence and propriety, karma etc. Without question, wuxia will always incorporate a love theme; a focal point in that characters are entwined through series of despair and vegeance. Finally, death is like an endless vicious cycle, where revenge has no equal. No matter what happens, only the abbots and taoists understand this, which are always ignored by the main characters, hence concludes to a final epic battle of bloodshed.

Hero out for revenge falls in love with daughter/apprentice of arch-enemy. Maybe not a common wuxia theme, but it was the same theme for GL's first three novels.

Erm yeah. The most common theme must be that good guys always win. How boring.

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    Erm yeah. The most common theme must be that good guys always win. How boring.
    Depends on what you mean by "winning". In some of the best wuxia novels, the villain is defeated in the end, but the heroes aren't much better off for it. Often, they endure some kind of change that affects them forever...not necessarily in a positive manner.

I recommend you watch the series The Other Side of the Horizon, Guo Xiang. All the good characters died in there .
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

I think Guo Xiang meant the good guys always beat up the bad guys in a FIGHT.

Did I hear FIGHT?!?!

But at the end the main character got killed by a butch of losers because he was to focus thinking of something. How ironic.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

One of the most common plot is the main character got their kung fu by chance.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Depends what you mean by chance. Like by accidently finding a manual, having the chance to train under a great master, or finding the old man in the cave. How are they expected to be the best fighter without them?

yap that what I meant.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

let's see..battle between good n evil
    hero struggling to find out his/her identity/ truth about the past
    ~*~ Philipians 1:3~*~

Yep. I mean to say, between the fight of good and evil, the good is always winning. The evil should win for once. Sigh.

Originally posted by Guo Xiang
    Yep. I mean to say, between the fight of good and evil, the good is always winning. The evil should win for once. Sigh.
    I think in some tv series, the evil had won once but in the very end of the series the good prevailed again. So maybe it's not meant to be for the evil to win...Well from what I've seen the evil side can win in between the story but in the end it's always the good that prevails so far. You know what I mean?

BTW, Guo Xiang are you going to continue that fanfic "Eternal Flame" you posted in the FF Forum? If so update soon, when you're not too busy.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

That's what I meant also. I think all the good people in that series died. I got to say, the plot sucks. I'm not sure if you really would like those kind of ending GX.

Originally posted by superboy
    Depends what you mean by chance. Like by accidently finding a manual, having the chance to train under a great master, or finding the old man in the cave. How are they expected to be the best fighter without them?
    don't forget meeting an ancient condor who knows kung fu!

How else? Make kung fu themselves. The 1st kung fus were made by a human, why can't the hero make his own? DGQB most probably made his own and he is begging to lose. I know he is not tthe hero of any novel but you get the point. There is no need to be taught to be superb
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

The most common out of common plot is that the hero is always trying to protect or save something. Anyone disagree?

Originally posted by superboy
    The most common out of common plot is that the hero is always trying to protect or save something. Anyone disagree?
    That sort of comes with the job.