Page 6 of 581 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Lin (林志穎)

Originally posted by botan
    What's the Great General about and what production is it? I haven't heard of the series before. DOMD 84 and Files of Justice is TVB, right? I've never watched any Korean or Japanese series before. How are they? I heard that they are pretty good. I would like to try a few sometime but I don't know where to get a hold of them.
    Yep, DoMD 1984 and FoJ are indeed TVB productions. The Great General is an ATV production and the first one I have ever seen from that company. It's the sequel to The Legend of the Yang's Family. There is a review of both of them here: http://www.spcnet.tv/atv_yangfamily.shtml
    At first I was kind of turned off by it due to the bad makeup and not-so-great-looking thespians, but now I actually like it. The story is pretty good and I really like Damian Lau for some reason.

Honestly, I don't know what Korean series are like, as I have never watched one before. I got some episodes of Hotelier, so it'll be cool to see that as well. As for Japanese series, I've only seen the first episode of Ringu, which is based off of the films.

I know how it is with school and series. It's so hard to find a balance. Enjoy your summer, though, and don't work too hard.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Originally posted by Lady Zhuge
    Shu Jian Qing Xia Liu San Bian
    It's not dubbled in Viet yet right and not released in VHS right. The series look interesting.
    Jimmy Lin~~~Zhen Yu~~~Sammul Chan
    I LOVE JIMMY, Zhen Yu, and Sammul! I love three guys...oooo.. that's too much huh? ~feeling guilty~
    Currenltly watching : 1)7 warriors (hmmm...no comments) 2) New reincarnation (okay I guess) 3) Dragon girl ( oooo my new love :ZHEN YU) 4) South Shaolin ( finally.. come real fighting)

Originally posted by LilyPhuong
    It's not dubbled in Viet yet right and not released in VHS right. The series look interesting.
    Yeah, that's right. Honestly, it's an okay series. It's not keeping me interested enough to continue watching it at the moment.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

To Botan, I highly recommend the Great General from ATV. It is a great series. I just rewatched it recently and really like it. You should see part 1 as well. It is the Heroic Legend of the yang Family. I only saw one Korean series and thought it was ok. They are just like American soaps or Taiwanese modern soap operas, that's all.. I don't like modern series or soaps so I don't really like Korean series.

To LilyPhuong, Liu san Bian is a new series that just came out in Chinese, so of course it isn't out in Viet yet. It won't be out for at least a year or so depending on which company does the dubbing. It may not even be out in Viet, who knows??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!1 nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Another year? And it might not even come out? what's the story mainly about? Thanks for the info!
    I LOVE JIMMY, Zhen Yu, and Sammul! I love three guys...oooo.. that's too much huh? ~feeling guilty~
    Currenltly watching : 1)7 warriors (hmmm...no comments) 2) New reincarnation (okay I guess) 3) Dragon girl ( oooo my new love :ZHEN YU) 4) South Shaolin ( finally.. come real fighting)

To lilyphuong, I will do an episode guide as soon as I can ok? Don't worry, there is a good chance that it may come out in Viet. But it won't be for awhile....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Hey Trinie, have you received the series yet? The second half is now out.

Botan, if you are ever interested in trying a Korean series, I suggest Hotelier. It's very good!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi all!!!

Thanks Lady Zhuge , I will try to enjoy my summer. Well, my summer right now with school isn't so bad. Yeah, I would like to try Korean series sometime but I am not sure where to rent them. I will try to find out somehow.

Thanks for the link to The Legend of the Yang's Family. I will check that out right away. Hmm, Damian Lau is in the series. It does sound familar like I've seen it but maybe not, I will check out the review to find out. Yeah, ATV series does have bad makeup and their actors/actresses aren't attractive looking.

I haven't seen FOJ yet. Aren't their several parts to that series? I watched DOMD '84 a long time ago. That is a pretty good series. Very funny too, especially Andy Lau and Tony Leung. Those two have great chemistry has friends. Have you seen the 98 version of DOMD yet?

Hiya botan!

Yeah, do give Korean series a try if you get the chance. Some people like them more than others, but I guess I started at the top with Hotelier. It's different from the typical melodrama mold of many Korean shows. Now my expectations will be really high for any more that I watch in the future.

Yep, there are five seasons of FoJ.

I'm really enjoying The DoMD 1984. It's just that the episodes are so long (over an hour) and I'm used to ones around 40 minutes. Andy and Tony are truly great actors. Would you believe that this is the first time I've watched either of them in any series before? Previously, I had only seen Andy in the film Running on Karma and Tony in the movie Hero. Nope, I haven't watched the 1998 version of The DoMD yet. It stars Jordan Chan, right? If you've seen it, do you like it more than the 1984 version? I plan on finishing up Dicky's 2000 version some time in the future. It's not very loyal to the novel or history, but Dicky is just so funny and cute. Some people may find him annoying and monotonous in his roles, but I'm certainly not one of them.

Sorry for getting this thread so off-topic. We're supposed to talking Jimmy...Jimmy...Jimmy...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi Lady Zhuge!!! Oopsy, we are really off topic. Will have to try to get back on topic.

I will definately watch Hotieler first when I get chance to watch Korean series. Are there any subtitled versions?

Wow, five season of FOJ! Are you going to watch all of them?

Yeah, DOMD 84 has it's draggy parts and can seem a bit long. Really??? This is the first time you've seen them in a series? Well, you have to go watch their other series too. I agree, they are very good actors. It's too bad that they are in movies now. I prefer watching them in series since they can showcase their acting skills more than in a movie.

Yup, DOMD 94 stars Jordan Chan and also Steven Ma. I thought this version was just as good as the 84 one, it is one of TVB's better re-adaptions. The only thing I didn't like about it was Jordan and Steven. They were not as good as Andy and Tony. I did enjoy the supporting cast, they were hilarious. The supporting cast was what made me continue the series. Too bad they couldn't cast Tony and Andy again. I've seen the beginning of the one with Dicky and didn't really like it too much since they had changed a lot of stuff. I think Dicky is okay, before I used to like watching him but nowadays his roles seem a bit repititive. I thought he was very funny in Journey to the West I.

Anyways back to Jimmy . Has Jimmy had a break thru role in any of his series? Which one was his best performance? How old is he anyways?
    Last edited by botan; 06-30-04 at 03:25 PM.

Hi ladyzhuge! No, I haven't gotten the first half yet.I chose the super saver method of shipping which is free but really slow... The second half is now out too? I just checked Yesasia and they don't have it yet. I think they will soon. Oh my gosh, we must be twins! I am re-watching DOMD 84 again. I saw that series so many times and still love it. I saw this series and many of them from the 80s that I still love. I saw Tony and Andy many times. You should see them in the Yang's Saga from TVB too. This is the BEST Version of DOMD. I don't find it draggy at all. The eps of old series are divided differently.

To botan, You actually liked the 98 version of DOMD? I haven't seen it since I don't like remakes. I was going to read the novel but gosh was it long....Since the novel is long, the series has to have a decent length or else it can't be a decent adaption.

I don't know if Jimmy has really had a breakthrough in any of his roles. I think he is getting known for Duan Yu since that is a character in a JY story. I heard that he wanted to play Yang Guo in the upcoming remake, but I didn't see him at the auditions. I guess he doesn't have time. His first series ever was JDSJ as Xiao Yu Er though. I think he overacted in there though.

Hi botan!!!

Yep, Hotelier is available with both English and Chinese subtitles, so take your pick.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

I don't know if I'll watch all five seasons of FoJ. I haven't even finished the first one yet. You know me and my very bad habit... Eventually I would like to though, to get the whole story.

Honestly, at first I didn't think I would enjoy Tony much as Wei Xiaobao since I was so biased for Dicky's interpretation of the role, but I was dead wrong. His Xiaobao didn't make the real Xiaobao out to be something more than he truly was, and that's probably one of the most cowardly yet luckiest shmucks ever.
    Now that I know just how great Andy and Tony are, I just have to watch more of their series in the future. Do you (or anyone else) have any specific recommendations for me?
    I've seen the cover of the 1998 adaptation, and Jordan and Steven didn't look very pleasing to the eye. Of course that is just my superficial and probably unfair judgment. If you say it was a good series, I'll take your word for it. The supporting cast is so important. Many times, they can either break or help to carry a series.

Hey Trinie!!! I would be flattered to be your twin. Since you've seen The DoMD 1984 so many times, maybe you would know this. Do you recognize the actor who plays Hai gong gong? For some reason he just looks really familiar and he does a great job in his short stint in the series as well.
    Yeah, I think the episodes are divided differently, 'cause I have the version with 24 episodes of over an hour each.

Ah, it's always good to end a post in a Jimmy thread with something about Jimmy. Jimmy's birthday is October 15, 1974, so that would make him 29 right now. Wow, I can't believe that he's going to be 30 this year!!! He's still got such a baby face.
    I don't know what would be considered his "break-out" role either. A lot of girls seem to gush over his portrayal of Xiao Yu in the Legendary Siblings series, though.
    Honestly, I can't imagine Jimmy as Yang Guo at all, especially after seeing him as Duan Yu. He just lacks that masculine complexity IMHO.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi Lady Zhu Ge my twin!!
    Yea, I have seen DOMD 84 way too many times to count and must say that it is the BEST version ever. It isn't 100% accurate to the novel, but is the best version so far. The acting by Tony and Andy is great. The rest of the cast is good too. Oh yes, I know those old stars really well. The one that plays Hai Gong Gong is named Lau Shiu Ming(I think I spelled it wrong...). He played many roles in series back then. Some are: the monk in ROCH 83, the king in The Legend of the General who never was, General Father General son, Pan Hung in Yang Saga 85, and many other series from the 80s.

Do you want to see series of Andy and Tony together or separate? They are only in DOMD and Yangs Saga together, that's it. The other series they are in are really good too. But they aren't in it together. IF you want recommendations for their series separately, let me know ok?

Jimmy won't be playing YG anyway since he didn't even try out for it. I don't know if Jimmy will have a breakthrough role that everyone will appreciate. I heard that they were going to remake Ming Jian Feng Liu(a Gu Long novel), if Jimmy portrays the main character in there well, that can be his breakthrough role. Yea, I can't believe he will be 30 this year.... He still looks really young for his age....

Hi Trinie!!! *am flattered*

I don't think any adaptation can be 100% accurate to the novel, so if this one is even around 90%, that would be great.
    Thanks a lot for the information about the Hai gong gong actor. I'm guessing that Lau = Liu, the very popular Chinese surname? Is Ming the same one as the dynasty? Shiu I'm not familiar with at all. Could you maybe use that character in context? Sorry for the trouble and thanks in advance for your time.

I'm interested in separate series starring Tony OR Andy, so please give me a few of the best ones that you've seen either of them in. Thank you very much!

Yeah, Jimmy seems like he will look forever 20. Who knows, maybe he will be the Dick Clark of Asian celebrities.
    Besides a new CD maybe being released later this year, do you know if Jimmy is currently working on any new projects or is he taking a break right now?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi guys!!!

Thanks for the link to Hotelier Lady Zhuge !

About FOJ, are all five seasons a continuation of one another or are they separate stories?

Finally got a chance to read the review for Legend of the Yang Family. It looks really familar so I think I've seen it a long time ago and just didn't remember.

I watched DOMD 84 several times too but my family has misplaced the tapes somewhere and the last time I rewatched it was a long time ago so I don't remember much about it. Out of all the actors I've seen that has played Wei Xiao Bao I have to say that Tony was the best.

I felt the same way about Steven and Jordan too when I first saw the poster and was a little hesitant to watch the series but I was curious to compare it with the 84 so I watched it anyways. It turned out all right. Pretty good for a remake and the length was just right. But I think I still like the 84 version better because of Andy and Tony. I wished they had casted maybe Benny Chan and Louis Koo instead of Jordan and Steven.

I love series from the 80s a lot of them were very good and I watched them several times already. For Andy series I would recommend ROCH. For Tony, I would recommend HSDS and Police Cadet. Also, Hap Hak Hung and that Gu Long story with the fraternal twins are very funny too. And like Trinie mentioned, do watch The Yang's Saga, it is a very good series with an all star cast. A must watch. I love that series, it makes me cry everytime I watch it. That's all the series I can remember, maybe Trinie knows more.

Wow, Jimmy is turning 30, he still looks so young. He hasn't changed at all since the last time I saw him in a movie and that was about 10 years ago. Hmm, I don't know about Jimmy playing YG. Maybe he will be okay. Do you guys think he's better at singing than acting or good at both?
    Last edited by botan; 07-02-04 at 01:53 PM.

Hi botan!

You're very welcome.

The FoJ seasons are separate stories, but I've heard that to fully understand and appreciate the relationships between the characters, it's best to watch them in order.

If you've maybe seen The Legend of the Yang Family, perhaps you can consider watching its sequel The Great General. The reviewer seemed to like it more than the first part. It's so sad, though.

Were Benny and Louis contenders for the 1998 roles of Kang Xi and Wei Xiaobao?

Thanks for the recommendations! What year did The Yang's Saga come out? I hope it's available in Mandarin.

I think Jimmy has a very cute voice. His acting is okay, but it just seems like he plays the same type of characters a lot. Maybe he can't help but be type-casted since he just has such an adorable face and smile.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yea, I can't imagine him with an evil role. His appearance is not suited for that. I think it's hard for him to have a breakthrough role. Even though i love Jimmy and i think he's absolutely adorable, i think that he'll just be an okay actor. He's such a better singer than he is an actor.

Originally posted by lilazinprincess
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://home.pchome.com.tw/my/jimmyfamily/010805i.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://home.pchome.com.tw/my/jimmyfamily/010805h.jpg')

credits to m3.easyspace.com

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://members.easyspace.com/jimmylin/pics/jimmy15.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://members.easyspace.com/jimmylin/pics/jimmy29.jpg')
    credits to globalserve.com
    here are some caps:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://kailijimmy.myetang.com/myidol/images/hjxq/11.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://kailijimmy.myetang.com/myidol/images/hjxq/13.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://kailijimmy.myetang.com/myidol/images/hjxq/17.jpg')
    OMG... these pictures reminded me of my younger days that I used to collect Jimmy's albums and stuff.... hahaha I remember I bought his first album... it was like... errr.. LOL... and in his second album, thanks God that he did improve quite a bit.... anyway, I still like him
    "Count no man happy until he dies" ~ Sophocles

I think i have his earlier songs but not his recent ones.. has he improved a lot in singing?

I have a few songs of his, although I don't know when he sang them, but they're not that bad. He doesn't have the best voice, and the songs are the prettiest, but they're decent.

I've definitely heard worse than Jimmy, that's for sure.

*grins* What an adorable person.
    I'm an "angel on the battlefield of love." *laughs* How ironic...
    Alec's official site: www.suyoupeng.com
    Vicki's official site: www.zhaoweinetfamily.com
    AIM: swtsilverfaerie
    Yahoo: tinitinytina18
    MSN:[email protected]