Thread: Do you think the JM knew that SYS and MYB were at Shaolin all along?

Default Do you think the JM knew that SYS and MYB were at Shaolin all along?

It was some thirty or so years after Siu Yeun San and Mo Yung Bok first snuck into the Shaolin Temple in DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS that they were finally (after the Heroes' Conference at Shaolin) confronted by the Janitor Monk, who subdued them and ended their decades-long feud. Siu Yeun San and Mo Yung Bok were such great martial artists that it's not hard to imagine them being able to stealth their way around everybody at Shaolin for thirty years . . . *except* for the Janitor Monk. Given the Janitor Monk's nearly god-like abilities, it seems unlikely that he didn't know they were there. If he did know, however, why did he wait so long before acting against them?

He did know. In the book (and adaptations, in fact) he was asked by Murong Fu "How long he had been hiding here" (Murong Fu meant listening to their conversation), and he replied that he had been hiding there for about 30 years, and that he remembered being there when Xiao Yuan Shan and Murong Bo came at their respective times. So he was quite aware of them being there.

With regard as to why didn't he do anything, he DID attempt to do something in an oblique way; for example, when XYS was looking for martial arts manuals, he placed several copies of Buddhist scripture (non-martial arts related) in the hope that XYS would turn to the scripture...but instead he just junked it

He was there for 45 years, he said that he had been there for 15 years when XYS first got there and stole a manual. He also said that MRB was even worse as he stole the whole lot and made copies of them, while XYS only picked a few that he liked
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I meant 30 or so years since XYS first arrived at Shaolin

But yes, he DID say that. Greedy Murong bastard