Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xiao Feng vs. Guo Jing

I always thought XF truly loved Ah Zhu and not because of guilty conscience - just that JY' cruel hand forced XF to kill his love, but repaid XF in the form of his reincarnation, GJ, who didnt have such bad luck

though the falling in love did seem rather sudden, but thats the way it is with XF, his emotions can run amok like a light switch - blood brothers with DY after a few drinks, suicide, going after Duen Jing Sun without careful questioning

CC maybe u should read the book a couple more times to wash away the adaptations

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    Maybe because Kiu Fung never resorts to dirty tricks, and doesn't deliberately kill innocent people?

There's also the small matter of one of these two men doing it for wealth and power, and the other doing it to uphold what he believes is right.
    Didn't YK do it mostly for the love of his Jin-father? It's just they XF was put in a defending end and YK was put in an offensive end.
    If YK's kung fu was better, I doubt he'd waste time with all the schemes.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

Originally posted by Ardor
    Didn't YK do it mostly for the love of his Jin-father?
    Oh yeah He just happened to love being a Jin PRINCE, and the chance of becoming emperor (as WNHL was going to be) 100 times more...
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Originally posted by Candide
    Oh yeah He just happened to love being a Jin PRINCE, and the chance of becoming emperor (as WNHL was going to be) 100 times more...
    but still, worshipping XF and hating YK, tsk tsk tsk.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.

How can XF be compared to YK? XF was willing to give up being King of the South and his life for _both_ the Song and Liao citizens.

In fact. he was more effective then GJ in that respect. XF managed to stop the war, GJ was only able to save the Song by killing Mongols for the time being. XF didnt kill either side.

XF realised that people were people and all deserved to live. Sweeper monk respected him for that.
    Last edited by CC; 02-27-04 at 01:06 AM.

Comparing XF and YK is like comparing the living condition of earth and mars.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

XF is GJ+agreesiveness+ A BRAIN

Originally posted by CC
    How can XF be compared to YK? XF was willing to give up being King of the South and his life for _both_ the Song and Liao citizens.

In fact. he was more effective then GJ in that respect. XF managed to stop the war, GJ was only able to save the Song by killing Mongols for the time being. XF didnt kill either side.

XF realised that people were people and all deserved to live. Sweeper monk respected him for that.
    there it is
    the answer I've been looking for

Originally posted by Ardor
    there it is
    the answer I've been looking for
    I'm surprised that you need someone else to tell you that obvious difference between XF and YK...
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Originally posted by CC
    Zhang Wu Ji believed the same and he's wishy washy; no one respects him for that.

Originally posted by Candide
    Yang Kang isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be, although comparing him to XF in terms of morality is a bit like comparing an ant to an elephant. XF is just a much greater man, as is GJ.

But hey, at least I can honestly say that Yang Kang never betrayed anyone who he knew truly loved him. In fact, I still maintain that, more or less, Huang Rong was right about Yang Guo: he's just like his father. The major difference being that Yang Guo had the right people around him while Yang Kang had the wrong people.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    But hey, at least I can honestly say that Yang Kang never betrayed anyone who he knew truly loved him.
    Can telling lies to someone who loves you be considered betraying him/her? If so, I remember YK lied quite a few times to Mu Nian Ci (who definitely truly loved YK), so in a way it can be said that YK betrayed Mu Nian Ci.

Originally posted by rabadi
    Can telling lies to someone who loves you be considered betraying him/her? If so, I remember YK lied quite a few times to Mu Nian Ci (who definitely truly loved YK), so in a way it can be said that YK betrayed Mu Nian Ci.
    No, I don't think so. He's lying to keep her happy. It's like telling a dying man that he's going to make it. Can you blame him for wanting her happy? For wanting to keep the woman he loved around? Did it hurt her in the very end? Yes, but was it his intention to hurt her? No. Heck, if we can forgive GJ for falling in love with HR while he's still engaged to Hua Zhen (conveniently forgetting to bring it up with her despite of being reminded of it by his masters), I don't see why it's so hard to forgive YK for lying to keep his loved ones happy. Either way, both men deceived their loves, but somehow, GJ gets off the hook while YK does not because GJ simply forgot?
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 02-27-04 at 06:06 AM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Moin, the thing is that I am not sure YK lied to keep Mu Nian Ci happy. I rather think that YK lied for his own profit and to keep Mu Nian Ci from standing on his way to stay as the Jin prince.

Moin, the thing is that I am not sure YK lied to keep Mu Nian Ci happy. I rather think that YK lied for his own profit and to keep Mu Nian Ci from standing on his way to stay as the Jin prince.
    I disagree. If he wanted to truly keep MNC out of the way, he would not have kept her around at all, nor would he have bothered to go thru all that trouble to keep her around, nor would he hesitate to use an aphrodisiac on her. I think he lied to her because he loved her and wanted her to be happy with him.

On a sidenote, did anybody else feel that most of the characters in LoCH as being extraordinarily narrow-minded, insisting that anything Jin was automatically evil?
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I disagree. If he wanted to truly keep MNC out of the way, he would not have kept her around at all, nor would he have bothered to go thru all that trouble to keep her around, nor would he hesitate to use an aphrodisiac on her. I think he lied to her because he loved her and wanted her to be happy with him.
    I do agree that YK wanted to keep MNC by his side, but he also wanted so badly to stay as the Jin Prince. So, what I mean by keeping MNC out is out of his way to stay as the Jin Prince, not out of his life. That's why I said he lied for his own profit (keeping MNC as his lover) and for keeping MNC out of his goal way (staying as the Jin Prince). YK knew that MNC did not want him to stay as a prince, so he lied to her again and again. I don't know, I just feel that what he did is kind of betraying MNC.

We'll continue the discussion tomorrow? I have to go home now

Yeung Hong did indeed love Muk Lim Chi...just not enough to do what he *really* needed to do to win her heart permanently: turn his back on the Jin princehood and the wealth and power that came with it. It was no easy choice, and most guys in Yeung Hong's position would have had the same dilemma (kind of hard to say no to the wealth and power available at the level of royalty). Nevertheless, that *was* the price Yeung Hong had to pay for Muk Lim Chi's love, and he didn't love her enough to pay it.

I do agree that YK wanted to keep MNC by his side, but he also wanted so badly to stay as the Jin Prince. So, what I mean by keeping MNC out is out of his way to stay as the Jin Prince, not out of his life. That's why I said he lied for his own profit (keeping MNC as his lover) and for keeping MNC out of his goal way (staying as the Jin Prince). YK knew that MNC did not want him to stay as a prince, so he lied to her again and again. I don't know, I just feel that what he did is kind of betraying MNC.

We'll continue the discussion tomorrow? I have to go home now
    Heh, it's just a difference in opinion. Not much to argue about really, since it's just solely speculation on our part anyways with no evidence one way or another.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    Yeung Hong did indeed love Muk Lim Chi...just not enough to do what he *really* needed to do to win her heart permanently: turn his back on the Jin princehood and the wealth and power that came with it. It was no easy choice, and most guys in Yeung Hong's position would have had the same dilemma (kind of hard to say no to the wealth and power available at the level of royalty). Nevertheless, that *was* the price Yeung Hong had to pay for Muk Lim Chi's love, and he didn't love her enough to pay it.
    But it wasn't just wealth and power. It's also giving up the only life he's ever known, giving up the only family he's ever known in WYHL. And not just giving it up but to turn on them, as if they were evil. It's not a huge surprise that he couldn't do it. Even Xiao Feng, who had much much less incentive to keep any loyalty and sentiments towards the Han Chinese, found it difficult to turn his back to them, nevermind YK, a character of much less integrity.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

On a sidenote, did anybody else feel that most of the characters in LoCH as being extraordinarily narrow-minded, insisting that anything Jin was automatically evil?

Same problem with the Song characters in DGSD. Even Xiao Feng himself was like that before he found out the truth. And some beggar sect elders were so stubborn that even in the last chapter they refused to believe that XF was really Khitan cuz all Khitans are evil.