Thread: Emperor K'ang Hsi's compensation package for Wai Siu Bo

Default Emperor K'ang Hsi's compensation package for Wai Siu Bo

What was the extent of the compensation package that Wai Siu Bo got from the Emperor K'ang Hsi for all the services that WSB rendered to him? We know that in DUKE OF MT. DEER, Wai Siu Bo had titles and offices galore, but what kinds of material benefits did he get with all that? How much did the Emperor pay him? Did he get a house? Servants? A security force? His own private yacht?

Just before his residence was bombarded by the Manchus, WXB was showered with tons of gifts and golds for every single accomplishments he made for Kang Xi. It was written in the novel that the residence was filled with guards, personal guards, maids, servants, and cooks. In fact, WXB was rather sad when he couldn't rescue them from the bombardment.

Then during his exile at the Potluck island, WXB was constantly visited by the Emperial navy and showered by many gifts and presents by the Emperor in order to persuade him to return to the mainland and to make life easier for Princess Ning.

After WXB agreed to return to Beijing from Taiwan, Kang Xi made him a 'Duke of Luding' title (Third Class) and provided him with a much bigger and more splendid mansion in Branze Hat lane than the one that was bombarded by the Manchus before he escaped to the island.

After his accomplishment during the Russian war, he was given the golden bowl and other gifts and promoted again to 'Duke of Lu Ding' (First Class), the highest title before Prince.

is this stuff shown in the tv series?

Originally posted by kamii
    is this stuff shown in the tv series?
    Not sure, since I watched it a long time ago. Anybody remember ?

The Tony Leung version yeah
    not sure about the other versions

I remember the Golden Bowl in Jordan's version.

Also in this version, Jordan's WXB, came into posession of a jacket (like a bullet proof vest) which no sword or object could peirce (frankly this Jacket saved his life numerous times), could this jacket be the same one that HR in LOCH wears? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to all this wuxia world and sadly I haven't read the book.
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Originally posted by Sutisa
    I remember the Golden Bowl in Jordan's version.

Also in this version, Jordan's WXB, came into posession of a jacket (like a bullet proof vest) which no sword or object could peirce (frankly this Jacket saved his life numerous times), could this jacket be the same one that HR in LOCH wears? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to all this wuxia world and sadly I haven't read the book.
    No. It's actually quite about the same with Yuan Chengzhi's, which is why Jiunan behaves oddly when she sees the vest.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

...could this jacket be the same one that HR in LOCH wears? Sorry, but I'm pretty new to all this wuxia world and sadly I haven't read the book.
    I asked the exact same question in this wuxia forum months ago. Guess we have the same curiosity over those protection vest HR and WXB wore.

I was pretty curious about this cas the Jacket has pretty much the same components, meaning nothing can pierce it. Thanks for clarifying it for me. It would have been cool though if they were one and the same! and the knife that WXB gets is GJ little knife he got at birth.

Also, sorry to ask (again) but who is Jiunan?

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

...and the knife that WXB gets is GJ little knife he got at birth.
    Uh... I thought that knife was a knife forged from the remaining of Heaven Sword from HSDS? My memory over this matter is clouded. Could some experts please verify?

Also, sorry to ask (again) but who is Jiunan?
    The one-armed white nun in DOMD, who previously was the Princess Chang Ping (Cheung Ping) in Crimson Saber (Sword Stained in Royal Blood).

Rabadi, I didn't mean that WXB knife is the same one that was GJ, I was just thinking it would have been cool if he got the vest which belonged to HR and the knife which belonged to GJ. So sorry for the confusion. But it's weird that he did come into possesion of a vest and a knife.

Also now I know who Jiunan is.

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

I see. Yes, it would have been cool if the vest belonged to HR and knife to GJ, it's like WXB suddenly became heir of their possessions

Yeah, it would have been cool if WXB did possessed HR and GJ things. Maybe when Jin Yong was writting DOMD he was either thinking about HR and GJ or he was out of ideas for new weapons for WXB. I guess he had to provide suitable weapons for a lead character who knew no martial arts, and actually escape death numerous times because of them.

Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

It's probably not the same vest, though. HR's vest had spines on them, while there was no mention of WXB's vest ever hurting an opponent who hit him. If it was the same vest JY would probably have allowed him to get hit just to show off.

It's probably also similar to the vest which Di Yun gets from Ding Dian in Lian Chengjue - looks like there are a lot of these anti-pierce vests about, but only one special one which had spines - spines that hurt opponents who hit the wearer, but not people who cuddle them... must have been some kind of special craftsmanship.

Ian

Originally posted by Ian Liew
    It's probably also similar to the vest which Di Yun gets from Ding Dian in Lian Chengjue - looks like there are a lot of these anti-pierce vests about, but only one special one which had spines - spines that hurt opponents who hit the wearer, but not people who cuddle them... must have been some kind of special craftsmanship.
    Perhaps WXB's vest was previously Frodo's vest from LOTR