Thread: Xiao Feng's decision at Shaolin.

Default Xiao Feng's decision at Shaolin.

When Xiao Feng realised that his father was still alive and was actually the one who commited all the crimes, his reaction was to take the blame of his father's crimes onto himself. That was probably the filial way to do things back in those times.

However, the question is that amongst his father's crimes were the murder of the Qiao couple and Reverend Xuan Ku. If his father had just killed the others like Grandpa Tan and company, its easy enough to accept. But the Qiao couple brought him up and Xuan Ku was his teacher. In the wulin world, the teacher is supposed to be as important as ones parents. You also can't use the defence that they were responsible for XYS's plight since neither the Qiao couple or Xuan Ku were party to the ambush of Xiao Feng's parents. Of all those victims, the Qiao couple weren't even part of wulin. They were just peasants.

If Xiao Feng had repudiated his ties with XYS based on the murder of hs foster parents and teacher, would that be considered un-fillial? Not saying that he should repudiate his Khitan blood, just his father.

What do you guys think? Do you support his decision at Shaolin?

Kiu Fung need not to have made that decision. He owes him nothing. Siu Yuen Saan did not take responsibility to look after Kiu Fung as a father. It could only make his father feel even more guilty for what he's done. His confused thoughts after when the Sweeper Monk 'killed' Mo Yung Bok sums it up. He had no idea what to do the next...his whole life was consumed by revenge of the past. He didn't care about his son after and during his crimes. I don't know how Kiu Fung can even stomach this let alone adding further crimes on his high list.

I sort of supported his decision, although it might not be totally right. But if he didn't do so, he might need to watch his father get slaughter along by all the fighters alone. Also, his father was also one of the victim who got his wife killed by all the wulin people. Plus the fact that he is the only family that he have left, I can understand his decision.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

What should he do ? Kill Xiao Yuen San ? That would solve nothing. Maybe XF was very disappointed with what his father did, but he could do nothing. At Shaolin, his decision was pretty much made out of desperation. Any other decision he made would have resulted in the death of others. Being a great man he was, that was probably the best choice.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Well, filial piety is but one facet of Confucianism. I don't know of the exact circumstances so I can't comment in detail, but if there were other considerations present, then he was a fool. It'd all depend what was on the line.

What would he have gained or demonstrated by denouncing his father and volunteering to help the jianghu world hunt him down? If he was a true paragon of Confucian virtues as sometimes made out to be, filial piety wasn't set in stone and ready to be broken depending upon more important virtues.

I'd probably do the same as him given the circumstances though i would express my disgust at his killing of the adoptive parents and master with a kick in his balls. (Also for not informing him that Ah Zhu was dressed as her father and for making me him suffer so much).
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

if i were kf i would feel no emotion to syx cos he played no part in xf's upbringing

In Xiao Yunshan's defense, his arguments for killing the Qiao couple and Xuan Fu were that they forced a Khitan to unknowingly be raised by his blood enemy, the Han's. Plus, Shaolin had a part in the slaughter of his family, yet it was organized so that a Shaolin monk would raise and teach Xiao Feng. So I guess he was extremely angry that the head of Shaolin and Beggar Sect were forcing Xiao Feng to accept his enemies as his parents and teacher.

but he himself abandoned the son so how can he blame them for raising his son up for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    but he himself abandoned the son so how can he blame them for raising his son up for him?
    he did'nt initially abandon him, he initially wanted to die becos he thought xf and his wife both died, but it was not until he has jumped off did he realise xf was alive, now in that situation what would u do, let ur son die with u or give him to the enemy and hope for the best, i no i would of hope for the best aswell, becos himself saving xf was out of the question.

Also he managed to survive do u think he would not want revenge.????

strange that he managed to survive at all

also how did xf survive? i mean xys must have thrown xf high up in the air to get him over the cliff...

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    also how did xf survive? i mean xys must have thrown xf high up in the air to get him over the cliff...
    ...and landed right into the Big Brother's arms it was portrayed like that in the movie

some sort of homing throw?