Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    Thx guys

Speaking of Bund III, I try looking for this because I was a big fan of Au Yeung Pan (the girl who plays Wong Yung in the Return of Condors hero). but it seems this part is always hard to find.
    I think her name's Au Yeung Pui San.

Yeah, the Bund 2 and 3 seem impossible to find (I have the 2nd one on musty old videotapes though). It seems hard to find a complete version of the 1st one as well.

Banned

Ken ,

Can I take it that you have only seen the shortened version of the Bund or have you also seen the full thing ? where are you by the way ?

I thought the 2nd part was the movie Stephen Chow was in
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    Ken ,

Can I take it that you have only seen the shortened version of the Bund or have you also seen the full thing ? where are you by the way ?
    I first saw the real thing back in 1981 when it was broadcast in Southern California (where I've lived my entire life). I still own the old videotapes that my parents made, so I've seen it many times since.

I bought the VCDs a few years ago because, after all, those videotapes are over twenty years old. Unfortunately, the VCDs are heavily edited.

I wonder the re runs on the TV (like Fairchild) of the Bund is the original or the heavily edited vcd version.
    Flame on I am gone...

I wonder the re runs on the TV (like Fairchild) of the Bund is the original or the heavily edited vcd version.
    The ones on TV are usually the original. I am so becaues the TV in HK re-run the Bund after I just after I bought the edited VCD a few years ago!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Default wow

wow... it was like ages ago when i started this thread... and its still going... unbelievable

ignore me... i'm just in awe.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

Banned

I think in asia it's mostly the original , certainly over here in malaysia that's what it was.

Are there any plans to release the sequels on VCDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Condor
    Are there any plans to release the sequels on VCDs?
    One would hope, but I think it's a low priority for TVB right now.

Not sure if anyone answer this, was the Bund based on a novel?
    Flame on I am gone...

Not sure if anyone answer this, was the Bund based on a novel?
    It's so epic that it feels that way, but no, it wasn't. Someone once described THE BUND as a gourmet dish that was made of exquisite leftovers. The people who wrote THE BUND were very influenced by the American films of the 1970s (i.e. THE GODFATHER, etc.), which many film experts consider the highwater mark of Hollywood films post-Golden Age (i.e. 1920s-1940s). The makers of THE BUND made good use of what they learned from 1970s American cinema without just plagiarizing it, and the result was TVB's best work ever.

i also watched the very first series starring chow. can't remember much about the series .
    visiting shanghai this year the first time in my life, my shanghai friend of course brought me to the bund. the colonial houses by the bank resemble those houses in the series. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    the colonial houses by the bank resemble those houses in the series. hehe.
    Which shows you how resourceful TVB was in those days, because during the early 1980s, Hong Kong film and TV producers could not easily obtain permission to do any filming in China. They certainly weren't able to do that for THE BUND, so TVB used similar-looking (Portugese) colonial homes in Macao to serve the same purpose. Older audience members who had lived in Shanghai during the era of THE BUND were impressed; they believed that TVB did a very convincing job of re-creating the atmosphere of that place and time even though their cast and crew were never able to set foot in Shanghai during the making of the series.

Another thing about THE BUND that made it so great is that although the series didn't have a higher budget than any other TVB series of the time, TVB really made the most of it: THE BUND never felt cheap in its execution. You can't say that for many TVB series either then or now.

wow, ken. thk you for telling me this. all along i thought the bund was filmed in shanghai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    cast and crew were never able to set foot in Shanghai during the making of the series.

I've just seen the first 5 episodes and so far I'm really loving this series. It's really exciting and interesting! At first I was a bit confused at the plotline but I guess they are gradually revealing everything and setting up the plotline and characters. Angie is so cute as Ching Ching. She looks really pretty and I like her character. Her crush on Chow Yun Fat is cute. I enjoy their scenes together but too bad at this point he doesn't have any feelings for her. It was funny when she broke off all of her appointments just to have dinner with him. I also liked the scene where she went over his house but found only Ray Lui instead. She kept asking him the same questions and didn't know what to say. Hahaha. Honestly, I think Ray Lui's Ding Lik is a bit annoying so far in the beginning. He causes all these troubles and seems to be too full of himself. Hopefully my views towards him will change later but right now, I don't enjoy his scenes very much.

Hui Man Keung is very cool. I like his character and I can't wait til they dwell more on his past. I honestly can't believe this series wasn't filmed in Shanghai. I was convinced that they were in Shanghai cause it looks really realistic. In my opinion, they also did a great job recreating this era. It's not dolled up like other series. The music is great. It's interesting to note the difference in filming in the past and today. Chow Yun Fat smokes in like pratically every scene while in today's series, very rarely do you see smoking. Is it just me or was there a view of modern day Hong Kong during the train ride in episode 3 when Angie was going home to Shanghai? Cause when I was looking out of the window of the train, it seemed like modern day Hong Kong to me...

Anyways, I'm off to watch more
    Last edited by MetalAZNWarrior; 11-25-04 at 10:00 AM.
    timeless: the VIRTUES OF HARMONY network
    Virtues of Harmony ... winning hearts since 2001

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MetalAZNWarrior
    I've just seen the first 5 episodes and so far I'm really loving this series. It's really exciting and interesting! At first I was a bit confused at the plotline but I guess they are gradually revealing everything and setting up the plotline and characters. Angie is so cute as Ching Ching. She looks really pretty and I like her character. Her crush on Chow Yun Fat is cute. I enjoy their scenes together but too bad at this point he doesn't have any feelings for her. It was funny when she broke off all of her appointments just to have dinner with him. I also liked the scene where she went over his house but found only Ray Lui instead. She kept asking him the same questions and didn't know what to say. Hahaha. Honestly, I think Ray Lui's Ding Lik is a bit annoying so far in the beginning. He causes all these troubles and seems to be too full of himself. Hopefully my views towards him will change later but right now, I don't enjoy his scenes very much.

Hui Man Keung is very cool. I like his character and I can't wait til they dwell more on his past. I honestly can't believe this series wasn't filmed in Shanghai. I was convinced that they were in Shanghai cause it looks really realistic. In my opinion, they also did a great job recreating this era. It's not dolled up like other series. The music is great. It's interesting to note the difference in filming in the past and today. Chow Yun Fat smokes in like pratically every scene while in today's series, very rarely do you see smoking. Is it just me or was there a view of modern day Hong Kong during the train ride in episode 3 when Angie was going home to Shanghai? Cause when I was looking out of the window of the train, it seemed like modern day Hong Kong to me...

Anyways, I'm off to watch more

Ching Ching does not have a crush - it's true love , you can forget a crush but not real love as you will see .

MK has feelings for her but as a mature man he is trying to control them because having a relationship with a mafia boss daughter is not exactly a high percentage move.

But watch and see what happens , see if he can really suppress himself or not.

people's reaction to DingLik varies , some have no respect for him , some loathe him , others think he " was just following orders " , some are cynical and think he was just a" survivng in the triad jungle " so if you like him or not depends on which camp you fall into.

for me I can't for the life of me see why anyone would aspire to that kind of lifestyle . who wants to end up a lonely disrespected old shell . I feel sorry for him . Anyway , watch and see .

The series was not filmed in Shanghai because back in those days , China was still a closed nation so filming was not permitted.

But it's quite easy to replicate it , most of it was studio shots , and for the outside scenes many places in HK and Macau look like Shanghai , believe it or not.

Shanghai is not really an old city , it developed aroud the same time as HK and Macau so some of the architecture is similar .

Quote Originally Posted by MetalAZNWarrior

Hui Man Keung is very cool. I like his character and I can't wait til they dwell more on his past.
    Well, here I'm afraid you'll be a bit disappointed. Other than the fact that Hui Mun Keung grew up in Beijing and attended Beijing University, was a student protester, and watched his lover die as he was arrested during a protest, we really don't get any more background information on exactly who Hui Mun Keung was. By his own account, despite his wordly sophistication, he had never traveled anywhere besides Beijing and Shanghai (and later, Hong Kong). We don't know who his parents were or what his boyhood was like. We don't know what his three years in prison were like. The only evidence that he had any family at all was a cousin who showed up on Ding Lik's doorstep in THE BUND II, but this seemed a contrived plot device (the cousin was a naive teenage boy who bore no resemblance at all to the cool and elegant Hui Mun Keung).

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99

people's reaction to DingLik varies , some have no respect for him , some loathe him , others think he " was just following orders " , some are cynical and think he was just a" survivng in the triad jungle " so if you like him or not depends on which camp you fall into.

for me I can't for the life of me see why anyone would aspire to that kind of lifestyle . who wants to end up a lonely disrespected old shell . I feel sorry for him . Anyway , watch and see .
    I respect Ding Lik for the fact that he made himself Shanghai's # 1 man through his determination and ruthlessness. Of course, Fung Ging Yiu and Hui Mun Keung were indispensable in getting him started in his long climb to the top, but it was still his climb to make.

When Ding Lik set out into the Shanghai underworld, his goal certainly wasn't to become "a lonely, disrespected old shell." During his youth, Ding Lik had idolized Fung Ging Yiu, and this admiration was later also transferred to Hui Mun Keung. Ah Lik, however, was naive...he did not know the pitfalls that came with power.

Banned

>>>I respect Ding Lik for the fact that he made himself Shanghai's # 1 man >>through his determination and ruthlessness. Of course, Fung Ging Yiu and Hui >>Mun Keung were indispensable in getting him started in his long climb to the >>top, but it was still his climb to make.

If that's your case , then you should respect MK and Fung more , since as you said without MK , he would be just another coolie eeking out a living in the slums of Shanghai . MK gave him his big break, and these don't come easy.
    He owes MK a lot , which is why he let him live , and took 1 finger only.

it wasn't an act of friendship so much as a repayment of debt.

Similarly with Fung , although Ding was #1 man , he could be replaced . His ties with Ching Ching was the main reason for his ascendency , this is why he went after her in the 1st place . If Fung had not chose him as his right hand man and blessed his marriage to Ching , he would not have gone so far , he would have been just a chief thug at best.

And how did he pay back old man Fung? He betrayed and had him killed , so he could take over.

Hard to see how to respect such a man . But , each to his own , I guess...

And let's not forget that Ding was " determined and ruthless " , by commiting all manner of crimes , while pretending to be a good guy ! It's not as if he was just climbing the corporate ladder.

>>When Ding Lik set out into the Shanghai underworld, his goal certainly wasn't >>to become "a lonely, disrespected old shell." During his youth, Ding Lik had >>idolized Fung Ging Yiu, and this admiration was later also transferred to Hui >>Mun Keung. Ah Lik, however, was naive...he did not know the pitfalls that >>came with power.

I don't think so . I feel he convinced himself that he felt true friendship and adulation for MK, whereas in fact he was jealous and longed to replace him.

He fooled himself , at least until he felt confident enough to go alone . He was expedient , that's not real friendship , that's just using someone.

As for Fung , well if he was Ding's idol , it didn't last too long . As soon as he took his daughter and rose to #1 man , he had the old guy killed.

But what he failed to realise was that power in itself cannot get you respect and happiness , the 2 most important things in the world . This was his undoing and the difference between him and MK .

When each was confronted with moral choices , MK made the right ones and Ding ultimately the wrong ones .

In the end , people knew what his character was like and instinctively avoided him . Even his own secretary refused his advances and chose a mere student over him , how low Ding had fallen despite his apparent power.

Moreover, he failed to get the 2 women he wanted and his son died . he was weak and failed to realise that loneliness and lack of respect is the price for power and corruption.

Happens all the time .
    Last edited by rokko99; 11-29-04 at 09:31 AM.