Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

What's part II and III about?

Were Hui Man Keung and Ding Lik real historical figures? I've been trying to figure this out myself. I remember seeing an old news footage of the real Ding Lik. I might've been mistaken though. It was a while ago.
    Heavy sword with blunt edges, simplicity brings superiority. Before I reached the age of forty, I used it to roam the entire world under Heaven. (Dugu Seeking-A-Loss)

After the age of forty, I no longer relied on weaponry. Even bushes, trees, bamboo sticks or rocks call all be my swords. From then on, I achieved great progress and slowly reached the realm of overcoming the sword without a sword.(Dugu Seeking-A-Loss)

Were Hui Man Keung and Ding Lik real historical figures? I've been trying to figure this out myself. I remember seeing an old news footage of the real Ding Lik. I might've been mistaken though. It was a while ago.
    I haven't seen this series in so long, I can't remember but part II and II is about Ding Lik and his life/career/relationship.

I thought part I was great but didn't enjoy part II and III much. I can't stand Ding Lik's character or maybe its the person that played him. I never liked Lui Leung Wai.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Kang

Neither Hui Mun Keung nor Ding Lik was real, but they were archetypes (idealized, of course) of the kinds of crime lords that ruled Shanghai's underworld society during the 1930s.

THE BUND II starts off by dealing with the aftermath of Hui Mun Keung's death at the end of the original series. Ding Lik quickly locates the Frenchman who assassinated Hui Mun Keung and has him eliminated, but soon learns that the Frenchman was simply the puppet of a new player in the Shanghai underworld named Dik Wan Tze (played by Patrick Tse Yin, Nicholas Tse's father). Dik Wan Tze's ambition is to become master of the Shanghai underworld, but to accomplish this, he must remove the two biggest obstacles: Hui Mun Keung and Ding Lik, who had come to rule Shanghai's underworld after they had eliminated Fung Ging Yiu and Lip Yan Wong (end of THE BUND). Unfortunately for Dik Wan Tze, he succeeded only in assassinating Hui Mun Keung, leaving Ding Lik to struggle against him for all of THE BUND II.

There was a new love interest for Ding Lik too: Chu Yin Yin (played by GiGi Wong Suk Yee), with whom Ding Lik would get involved in yet another love triangle (this time with Dik Wan Tze as his romantic nemesis).

Of particular interest in THE BUND II is a five-minute cameo appearance by Chow Yun Fat as Hui Mun Keung during a flashback sequence. What's notable is that this wasn't recycled stock footage from the original BUND, but all new footage that Chow Yun Fat was hired to shoot for THE BUND II. It happened early in THE BUND II when Ding Lik reminisced about good times and the early days when he and Hui Mun Keung first became partners, and Hui shared the view that in the underworld, nobody...not even best friends...could be completely trusted. I thought it was very cool to have Chow Yun Fat reprise his most famous role...if only for a few minutes.

THE BUND III takes place a few years after THE BUND II and sees Ding Lik entering middle age and the peak of his power. Once again, there is a challenger to his position (a man named Ngai Jun, played by Yeung Kwun), a love interest (played by Au Yeung Pui San), and a young rival (played by Wong Yeun Sun).

Banned

All the characters are fictitious , though you could say that they are symbolic of various Chinese characters through the ages .

Of course this has to be garnered from a real Chinese person , very difficult for a WC for example to have true knowledge of this.

don't expect too much from 2 or 3 , they are very poor in comparison to the first .

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    don't expect too much from 2 or 3 , they are very poor in comparison to the first .
    They were all right, but couldn't compare to the legendary original of course. THE BUND II and THE BUND III were at least as good as the standard TVB series of today (and probably better, actually).

Can someone give a translations of the theme song?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Banned

It depends on what one means by " standard series " of today .

Today TVB makes 25-30 series of average 30-40 episodes a year , it is naiive and ill informed to think that every series can be of a high standard , they save 3/4 productions for the high quality stuff.

In 80's they only did 4/5 series a year .

So if someone says that Bund 2&3 are as good as War & Beauty or Blade Heart , then I will laugh my a$s off at this person lack of knowledge of real Chinese / Cantonese culture and language .

Hell , Bund 2&3 can't even match something like To Get Unstuck in Time .

Like I say WC = no real knowledge .

Better put like this :

Tan chi yut kor wah yen, put suen ying chun . Put chi put ying , sun fun sut mong , kwantong mun mm khou tuk sik .

Moh chi kat kao fun ching bhun Kwaontong yen mut yeh hai mun fah .

Ni kor yen mm chi sut lai .

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    Like I say WC = no real knowledge .
    This whole "Real Chinese"/"Western Chinese" hangup of yours skirts dangerously close to being offensive.

I have heard about how great this series is and I do have it in my collection (my mom loved it)

but everytime i want to watch something, i hesistate to begin it because it is quite old. I do enjoy classics, or what I think is a classic, such as LOCH 83 but I don't know what it is about this series that just makes me hesistate to begin. I think i've seen half of episode 1, and it didn't seem too appealing

should I continue watching?

EDIT:

I just read through this thread and I will definitely start watching this series. It sounds like one of the best TVB series of all time

regarding the whole based on a book thing: don't they have to give credits to the book/author if they base it off that? in many series you see the line that says "based on novel by ___" so say this was based off a book, shouldn't the book/author be given some sort of credit? and we'd know about it?
    Last edited by alecforever815; 12-29-05 at 08:17 PM.
    *[Ron Ng]*

~[Zhang Dong Liang]~[Hins Cheung]~[JJ Lin]~[Cecilia Cheung]~[Kenix Kwok]~[Chen Kun]~[Vicki Zhao]~[Leo Ku]~[Kenneth Ma]~

TommyH
    Unregistered

If only TVB can create something else as outstanding as this.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Chan Hon Lam, the character played by Kent Tong was killed?!?
    Where, when and how did he die? I cannot remember him dying, I thought that he just disappeared. I am mean TVB had (and still has) the habit of making characters disappear without explanation, I thought Chan Hon Lam was one of those.

Could someone tell me in which episode did he die?

By the way, the Bund is a great serie. One of TVB's finest!
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Chan Hon Lam, the character played by Kent Tong was killed?!?
    Where, when and how did he die? I cannot remember him dying, I thought that he just disappeared. I am mean TVB had (and still has) the habit of making characters disappear without explanation, I thought Chan Hon Lam was one of those.

Could someone tell me in which episode did he die?
    It happened shortly before Ding Lik and Fung Ching Ching got married. At that time, Chan Hon Lam was a journalist working for a newspaper operated by Lip Yan Wong and Hui Mun Keung...a newspaper that printed scandalous stories about Fung Ging Yiu. Fung Ging Yiu ordered Ding Lik to shut the newspaper down, and Ding Lik did so in the manner he knew best: he sent a gang of his guys to raid the newspaper's office with machine guns. Chan Hon Lam and the entire newspaper staff were gunned down.

Not long afterwards, the Jingwu Martial Arts School (Jing Mo Mun) retaliated by trying to ambush Fung Ging Yiu's car (which did not contain Fung Ging Yiu, but Ding Lik and Fung Ching Ching). In the resulting firefight, Ding Lik was shot and badly wounded. As he was wheeled into emergency surgery at the hospital, Ding Lik was able to convince Ching Ching to marry him.

Banned

Excuse me , did I say anyone in particular was " offensive " ?

NO .

re -read I used the word " one " , does one understand that ?

Does one not know that being non fluent in Cantonese and posing as an expert in their own culture is is considered very offensive in itself ?

Then again how would one know if one does no speak the language or live in Chinese heartlands ?

yau kwuk hei , diu chiun kwor tong ah tei toi . yeung yun sum ! put yau chi kak kau mun fah .

understand ?

Isn't all this about some WC's own hangup about their identity , and their low self esteem since they get no respect from whites or even blacks in their home countires, so they think they will flash their western ID's to the real Chinese and get some " quick " respect ?

But the problem is real Chinese are not impressed and have little respect at non speakers attempts to show off.

put sik mun fah , toi tzhun yun sut lai , mm kum sum . Chuin jun tee , chui yee tzhun yun ci liew , hok sik tor siew , put shui kung sing lai .

does one understand ?

The stories Tong's paper printed were not scandalous , they were more or less true accounts of of Fung's illegal dealings . Just that no one previous to him dared print them , but he did as he was co-operating with MK and Lip to destroy Fung.

Very clear in the dialogue , if one understands of course , and it's not easy , the Bund is fairly high level .

Ding did not really convince Ching ching to marry , it was more like emotional black mail as he was wounded and hinted strongly that he would die if she did not .
    Since he was wounded saving her , she relented .

This was to show Ding's low down snivellous character , that he would stoop beneath contempt to cheat someone into marriage .

HKTV always does this to weed out those who might glamorise this sort of scumbag behaviour , it is telling us - it is WRONG ! simple as that .

in Chinese , Ding would be called being a " yun yen " . Again , the language is very important in Canto / Chinese drama , a fluent command of the language is required otherwise one will always miss the important subtle points of culture .

that's just the way it is . It would be the same in any language from Canto to Swahili . obvious.

People have to watch more HK TV series to see dramas of the same quality.

If you don't keep up , you will be forever watching BUnd and telling the world what a great discovery it is , whereas people in the heartlands have already been through this hundreds of times before .

Bund is great but that is the past , you can't live in it . Things change , Chinese society changes faster than the West . You can only know this if you have lived in the West before but are now back in our homelands .

Thus , to see the changes , you will have to watch more current series , not something that is 25 years old . You will be outdate !

I just finished the whole series and it was so good! Excellent acting by all actors here. I especially like Chow Yun Fat's character (the cool, young and hansome Hui Man Keung) and Angie Chiu's character (the cute and pretty Fung Ching Ching). Their love story was so romantic but also so sad. I love them as a couple. Anybody knows if they were in other series as couple again? Anyway, Lu Leung Wai was excellent portrayed the annoying Ding Lik too.

Default The Bund 《上海灘》

Anyone who has followed my threads here at SPCNET over the years knows that I'm a great fan of THE BUND (上海灘), the original 1980 TVB series starring Chow Yun Fat, Angie Chiu, and Ray Lui that has come to be known as a timeless classic and has spawned two remakes and a movie.

It was TVB's finest hour: a masterpiece of writing, acting, and directing that can hold up to any drama made anywhere, anytime, by anybody. Everything went right in the making of this series. In twenty-seven years, TVB has yet to produce a work that can top it.

This thread will be dedicated to the discussion of the original BUND and its two sequels, THE BUND II (上海灘續集) and THE BUND III (上海灘龍虎鬥), also produced by TVB in 1980.

Banned

You mean "The Bund" starting with Chow Yun Fat, Angie Chiu?

Gosh! I love this series a lot. In my opinion it's the Best version of all and it's the Classic version. After seeing that movie. I secretly wished Angie Chiu and Chow Yun Fat become a real couple. But appearently they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by FireLord View Post
    You mean "The Bund" starting with Chow Yun Fat, Angie Chiu?
    That's the one. There's a common view that TVB produces mostly trashy entertainment, and while that's true of a great deal of its output, it can't be said about THE BUND. If there's a single word that describes this series, it's "class." It was the one time that TVB ever did dead serious, no holds barred Drama (yes, with a capital "D"). When TVB made this drama, I think its producers, directors, actors, etc., all decided that this would be a series for the ages...unlike anything they had done before or would ever do again.

I don't know why, but I never liked this series at all.. I guess it just isn't the type of series that I like. I mean, I love the cast and all but just can't bring myself to love this series. Even my mom who loves Angie, Ray and the rest of the cast does not like this series... No offense to anyone who loves this series, but just giving my opinion that's all. I admit that they all had great chemistry. However, acting is acting... Just because you are a great onscreen couple doesn't necessarily mean that you are compatible in real life. I think that is a problem with a lot of people these days, they go crazy over an onscreen couple and keep on wishing for them to be together in real life....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I don't know why, but I never liked this series at all.. I guess it just isn't the type of series that I like. I mean, I love the cast and all but just can't bring myself to love this series. Even my mom who loves Angie, Ray and the rest of the cast does not like this series... No offense to anyone who loves this series, but just giving my opinion that's all. I admit that they all had great chemistry...
    It might be because THE BUND was so different from the average TVB drama. Indeed, newcomers to TVB who expect *everything* that TVB produces (and that includes other series from the 1980s) to be like THE BUND will be in for disappointment, because this series is unique in TVB's entire forty year catalogue. There have been other great series, but none like this one.

THE BUND is much more highbrow than the average TVB series. It has an intellectual edge to it that might have gone over the heads of much of its original target audience. In many scenes, there was subtle symbolism in particular images and dialogue. Even the way the series was shot was unconventional...with unusual camera angles (especially for the time) and lighting that created a timeless, even slightly noirish atmosphere (which is hard to do in color film).

From a cinematographic point of view, it never got better than THE BUND for TVB.

The more I watch this show, the more I think this is the best series TVB ever made. It's not ur typical formulaic series. If you think about it, there's not a definitive good guy or bad guy. I mean you will cheer for Chow Yun Fat, but he was not an angel. The things he did to get to the top. Everything in this series was done so nicely. The storytelling elements didn't age one bit. The acting is top notch that hasn't been matched ever since. The character development was excellent. As much as I like Ray Lui, Chow Yun Fat was the one that stole the show. Lau Dan played a awesome villain. I saw the remake in the 90s and it was surprisingly good, but it had too much formula in there. It didn't have the magic the original one had. Chow Yun Fat's subtle emotions worked at its best in this show.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.