Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bund 《上海灘》

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    well i'm glad to hear that not every episode ends with a cliffhanger lol. I think they made a bad decision when taking out the previews. They forgot about about the lead-in sequences for cliffhanger-continuation episodes. I wonder if they bother watching the actual DVDs straight through after they finish their editing jobs. It's not like the DVDs can't hold enough information for the intro sequence of the episodes. This is especially annoying since the box advertises 65x45 mins when in fact each episode is less than 40 mins long.
    Really. The best way to present THE BUND in DVD format is to not alter the original master broadcast tape at all, as it was perfect in its originally released edit. Clean up the picture quality, etc., but make no other changes to it. That's the proper way to treat this series.

Despite all that, the actual series is great. I'm really drawn into the atmosphere and all the subtle artsy details they add to the scenes. When was the last time a TVB serial was considered "art"? sigh.
    A number of 1970s TVB productions also had similar artistic aspirations. At the time, many of TVB's writing and directing staff were young film school graduates who were full of fresh ideas that they had absorbed from the best Western film productions of the 1930s-1970s. They applied what they learned to making TVB series, and TVB, not yet established as THE television station of Hong Kong, was willing to let its personnel experiment with different things.

But THE BUND is where it all came together. With THE BUND, TVB got everything right and produced the perfect balance of art with widespread popular appeal (which is a really hard balance to achieve). It never got close to meeting that standard again.

For the past twenty years or so, TVB has remained the # 1 television station in Hong Kong despite making crappier and crappier series with each passing year. Part of it is because Hong Kongers tend to be creatures of habit and aren't, as a group, much for experimentation or change (especially after the 1970s), but a part of it is because TVB is still, thirty years on, living off the reputation it established with THE BUND. That TVB can still be # 1 in Hong Kong despite the crap it puts out is because it's still able to hang on to the afterglow of THE BUND (and perhaps its 1980s Jin Yong adaptations).

But I think that afterglow dims a little more each year.

one thing i like about the old tvb series is that they look like a stage-play. the new tvb series may have better scenery and props but there's something about the old look that is just more fun to watch.
    Yep. The actors of that generation were often theater-trained, so they acted using methodologies that they learned in theater school and practiced through stage performances. Today, it's more like: "Here's a pretty face! She/he has no acting experience or training, but let's stick her/him in this series and see if she/he can read the lines! They're simple, dumb lines anyway, so it won't be that hard!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post

A number of 1970s TVB productions also had similar artistic aspirations. At the time, many of TVB's writing and directing staff were young film school graduates who were full of fresh ideas that they had absorbed from the best Western film productions of the 1930s-1970s. They applied what they learned to making TVB series, and TVB, not yet established as THE television station of Hong Kong, was willing to let its personnel experiment with different things.

But THE BUND is where it all came together. With THE BUND, TVB got everything right and produced the perfect balance of art with widespread popular appeal (which is a really hard balance to achieve). It never got close to meeting that standard again.

For the past twenty years or so, TVB has remained the # 1 television station in Hong Kong despite making crappier and crappier series with each passing year. Part of it is being Hong Kongers tend to be creatures of habit and aren't, as a group, much for experimentation or change (especially after the 1970s), but a part of it is because TVB is still, thirty years on, living off the reputation it established with THE BUND. That TVB can still be # 1 in Hong Kong despite the crap it puts out is because it's still able to hang on to the afterglow of THE BUND (and perhaps its 1980s Jin Yong adaptations).

But I think that afterglow dims a little more each year.

Yep. The actors of that generation were often theater-trained, so they acted using methodologies that they learned in theater school and practiced through stage performances. Today, it's more like: "Here's a pretty face! She/he has no acting experience or training, but let's stick her/him in this series and see if she/he can read the lines! They're simple, dumb lines anyway, so it won't be that hard!"
    *phew* i'm at the beginning of episode 5 and it does start brand new.

Yea i LOVE the old look of TVB. Even with its cheaper sets and scenery, the stage-play look really brings out the plot and acting abilities of the actors. Today's tv serials are dominated by scenery, special effects and pretty star actors/actresses and the plot and acting suffers compared to the old tv serials. That's why i actually prefer the old stage-play look compared to the fancy modern look. Plus with The Bund, you can be artsy with the old stage-play look with innovative uses of lighting, music, costumes, film sequences, etc. It seems like TVB has forgotten the fundamentals of film-making relying solely on star power and special effects to sell a series. It's very sad indeed.

I have one caveat regarding the look of old TVB serials. It's the outdoor scenes. They look awful compared to the new ones. I have no problem with the indoor scenes (in fact, i LOVE the indoor scenes) but because of the technology back then the outdoor scenes often look murky and dark.

I have one caveat regarding the look of old TVB serials. It's the outdoor scenes. They look awful compared to the new ones. I have no problem with the indoor scenes (in fact, i LOVE the indoor scenes) but because of the technology back then the outdoor scenes often look murky and dark.
    Yep. Because until around 1982 or so, TVB shot all outdoor location scenes on 16 mm film, whereas all studio lot shoots were done on videotape. Videotape, of course, has more color saturation than film, so the difference was very obvious.

From 1982 onward, however, TVB has used only videotape for EVERYTHING. 16 mm film for television series is long, long obsolete.

But I actually like the 16 mm film look. That look can be used very effectively to create a certain atmosphere that cannot be captured on videotape. I think the 16 mm sequences of THE BUND are also part of its artistic makeup. It wouldn't have been the same had those outdoor shots been done on videotape. The feel wouldn't have been right (you'll see what I mean when you watch Episodes 11, 12, and 13, which make particularly great use of 16 mm film).

Yep. Because until around 1982 or so, TVB shot all outdoor location scenes on 16 mm film, whereas all studio lot shoots were done on videotape. Videotape, of course, has more color saturation than film, so the difference was very obvious.

From 1982 onward, however, TVB has used videotape only for EVERYTHING. 16 mm film for television series is long, long obsolete.

But I actually like the 16 mm film look. That look can be used very effectively to create a certain atmosphere that cannot be captured on videotape. I think the 16 mm sequences of THE BUND are also part of its artistic makeup. It wouldn't have been the same had those outdoor shots been done on videotape. The feel wouldn't have been right (you'll see what I mean when you watch Episodes 11, 12, and 13, which make particularly great use of 16 mm film).
    It's just that there's a sharp constrast. One moment you're in this beautiful looking indoor set with artistic use of lighting and then your'e suddenly outdoors that looks so dark and murky. It's like two different worlds I guess i'll get used to it as the series progresses. Lot of the TVB 70's series were the same way.

But I have to admit that the 16mm look for outdoor scenes during NIGHT TIME really adds to the gritty atmosphere. It's just the oudoor scenes during DAY TIME are a little bit awkward especially when the scene is meant to be bright instead of gritty. Violent day-time outdoor scenes are fine though because they are supposed to be gritty. BTW, ep 5 kicks a$$
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 02-27-09 at 09:26 PM.

It's just that there's a sharp constrast. One moment you're in this beautiful looking indoor set with artistic use of lighting and then your'e suddenly outdoors that looks so dark and murky. It's like two different worlds I guess i'll get used to it as the series progresses. Lot of the TVB 70's series were the same way.

But I have to admit that the 16mm look for outdoor scenes during NIGHT TIME really adds to the gritty atmosphere. It's just the oudoor scenes during DAY TIME are a little bit awkward especially when the scene is meant to be bright instead of gritty.
    Yep. 16 mm puts the grit in "grittiness." It really lends itself well to a drama like THE BUND. I do agree that it works better with nighttime scenes than daytime scenes.

BTW, ep 5 kicks a$$
    I loved this episode too: this is the one where Ah Lik runs afoul of the nightclub boss "Lo Gum," right? Then, Ah Lik murders the bastard and makes himself and Mun Keung the target of all the other tongs in Shanghai.

This was a big transition episode: it's the end of Hui Mun Keung and Ding Lik working as independent gangsters and the beginning of their becoming Fung Ging Yiu's men.

In other words, their clothes are about to change.

Yep. 16 mm puts the grit in "grittiness." It really lends itself well to a drama like THE BUND. I do agree that it works better with nighttime scenes than daytime scenes.

I loved this episode too: this is the one where Ah Lik runs afoul of the nightclub boss "Lo Gum," right? Then, Ah Lik murders the bastard and makes himself and Mun Keung the target of all the other tongs in Shanghai.

This was a big transition episode: it's the end of Hui Mun Keung and Ding Lik working as independent gangsters and the beginning of their becoming Fung Ging Yiu's men.

In other words, their clothes are about to change.
    Yeah the episode is starting to show the dark underbelly of Shanghai with all the gangstas and how dangerous they are. Plus i'm getting the glimpses of Ah Lik's own personal dark side as he slashes Lo Gum's throat. Since this DVD set destroys the corpse scene this is the first episode where i really felt things were really gritty. I'm addicted so far, good stuff

Yeah the episode is starting to show the dark underbelly of Shanghai with all the gangstas and how dangerous they are. Plus i'm getting the glimpses of Ah Lik's own personal dark side as he slashes Lo Gum's throat. Since this DVD set destroys the corpse scene this is the first episode where i really felt things were really gritty. I'm addicted so far, good stuff
    Did it at least preserve the part where Ah Lik's girlfriend returned home only to find her beloved doggy hacked up into bloody pieces? That was another one of those classic dark and violent scenes. Her screams were terrifying.

Ah Lik is the most dynamic of the characters in THE BUND. I mean dynamic in the literary sense: he changes more than any other character in the story (Ching Ching comes second; Mun Keung doesn't fundamentally change that much). When you finally reach the later episodes of Part 3, remember this youthful, early version of Ah Lik and compare him to the man he has become at the end of THE BUND trilogy. He really does grow alot, and in his older years, becomes a much wiser and more compassionate man. In Part 3, you really grow to respect the man that Ah Lik becomes.

Did it at least preserve the part where Ah Lik's girlfriend returned home only to find her beloved doggy hacked up into bloody pieces? That was another one of those classic dark and violent scenes. Her screams were terrifying.

Ah Lik is the most dynamic of the characters in THE BUND. I mean dynamic in the literary sense: he changes more than any other character in the story (Ching Ching comes second; Mun Keung doesn't fundamentally change that much). When you finally reach the later episodes of Part 3, remember this youthful, early version of Ah Lik and compare him to the man he has become at the end of THE BUND trilogy. He really does grow alot, and in his older years, becomes a much wiser and more compassionate man. In Part 3, you really grow to respect the man that Ah Lik becomes.
    I think this is yet another edit They show Ah Lik's girlfriend screaming and we see some blood in the house but that's it. The scene was extremely brief. I think they are trying to make this family friendly or something, at least in the gory department. Though I have to admit that i'm drawn to the series because of the gritty atmosphere rather than the blood or gore. Thanks i'll pay special attention to Ah Lik. In the DVD cover pictures, he looks very mature and slick. Right now he looks like a petty rookie gangsta.

I think this is yet another edit They show Ah Lik's girlfriend screaming and we see some blood in the house but that's it. The scene was extremely brief. I think they are trying to make this family friendly or something, at least in the gory department.
    Ah, crapola!

Not that I'm obsessed with the blood and gore myself, but it's such an important element of what made this series so gut-wrenchingly great. In the original edit, we saw little bits of bloody fur and parts of dog corpse strewn all over the living room (they couldn't get away with it today; they'd need to post "No animals were harmed in the making of this episode!" disclaimers), and the girl's screams went on for at least thirty seconds. It was another brilliantly terrifying moment.

I was afraid the editors would neuter the series like this. Sometimes, I think THEY deserve to receive a BUND-like hit.

Though I have to admit that i'm drawn to the series because of the gritty atmosphere rather than the blood or gore. Thanks i'll pay special attention to Ah Lik. In the DVD cover pictures, he looks very mature and slick. Right now he looks like a petty rookie gangsta.
    Yeah. Early Ding Lik was actually a slightly comical figure...because he was such a fish out of water. The guy grew up in the slums. He knew nothing of class or refinement at first, and had to learn from the example of his "Mun-gor," who fortunately, was very patient and kind to him. Eventually, however, Ah Lik, who is no dummy (although he sometimes does dumb things), gets the refinement down and becomes his own man. It's great to watch him develop over the course of the saga.

Ah, crapola!

Not that I'm obsessed with the blood and gore myself, but it's such an important element of what made this series so gut-wrenchingly great. In the original edit, we saw little bits of bloody fur and parts of dog corpse strewn all over the living room (they couldn't get away with it today; they'd need to post "No animals were harmed in the making of this episode!" disclaimers), and the girl's screams went on for at least thirty seconds. It was another brilliantly terrifying moment.

I was afraid the editors would neuter the series like this. Sometimes, I think THEY deserve to receive a BUND-like hit.
    i know what you mean. That screaming scene lasted only 1 or 2 seconds!! It had no lasting effect at all. I think this edit is even worse than the corpse one because this one is suppose to last for half a minute. So that terrifying feeling that the producers want the audience to feel is gone that kinda makes me mad. ahh well. i'm still enjoying it so far. but if the scene is as you described, the terror factor would have went way up creating an unsettling mood. just curious but how did the vcd handle the corpse and the dog scene?

I'm starting to think that they intended this DVD release to be "PG-13" and not "Rated R". Thankfully the general dark and gritty atmosphere appears to be intact.

BTW, have you watched or heard of the China 2007 version of The Bund called "The Shanghai Bund"? I haven't seen it but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as this one. The original Bund is supposedly the "Godfather of asian television".
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 02-28-09 at 12:07 AM.

i know what you mean. That screaming scene lasted only 1 or 2 seconds!! It had no lasting effect at all. I think this edit is even worse than the corpse one because this one is suppose to last for half a minute. So that terrifying feeling that the producers want the audience to feel is gone that kinda makes me mad. ahh well. i'm still enjoying it so far. but if the scene is as you described, the terror factor would have went way up creating an unsettling mood. just curious but how did the vcd handle the corpse and the dog scene?
    I don't quite remember. It's been a while since I played the VCD and I think I've been trying to repress the memory.

I doubt it had either scene complete, however.

I'm starting to think that they intended this DVD release to be "PG-13" and not "Rated R". Thankfully the general dark and gritty atmosphere appears to be intact.
    Hopefully. Episodes 11-13 are when the grit reaches a peak, in my opinion, so I hope those sections are left intact.

BTW, have you watched or heard of the China 2007 version of The Bund called "The Shanghai Bund"? I haven't seen it but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as this one. The original Bund is supposedly the "Godfather of asian television".
    I saw the 2007 Chinese series. I gave it pretty high marks for being a good, sincere attempt to remake the original. Nothing can match the original, but the China series did an acceptably decent job compared to the 1996 TVB remake ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI (with Sunny Chan and Nnadia Chan), which was strictly amateur hour, and the 1996 Leslie Cheung/Andy Lau movie which was a remake of THE BUND in name only.

Hopefully. Episodes 11-13 are when the grit reaches a peak, in my opinion, so I hope those sections are left intact.

I saw the 2007 Chinese series. I gave it pretty high marks for being a good, sincere attempt to remake the original. Nothing can match the original, but the China series did an acceptably decent job compared to the 1996 TVB remake ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI (with Sunny Chan and Nnadia Chan), which was strictly amateur hour, and the 1996 Leslie Cheung/Andy Lau movie which was a remake of THE BUND in name only.
    I'm amazed at your memory.... You seem to remember lot of characters even Lo Gum.

I'm a little bit biased towards older series because of the 'stage-play' style and classic feel to it. So i'm not sure if i'll enjoy the 2007 version as much. I find myself more bored when watching Chinese series compared to the classic TVB ones. I think it's the pacing of the plot. I find the Chinese ones very slow and draggy.

I'm amazed at your memory.... You seem to remember lot of characters even Lo Gum.

I'm a little bit biased towards older series because of the 'stage-play' style and classic feel to it. So i'm not sure if i'll enjoy the 2007 version as much. I find myself more bored when watching Chinese series compared to the classic TVB ones. I think it's the pacing of the plot. I find the Chinese ones very slow and draggy.
    The original is by far the best, but I respected the effort that China put into the 2007 series. It had its weaknesses, but the way it was done showed respect for the original.

One problem from the 2007 China series, however, is that they doubled the episode count. The original BUND was 25 episodes, but the 2007 Chinese version is 50 episodes. Certain plotlines were dragged out way too long, while others were unnecessarily rushed. The pacing was weird if you're used to the pace of the original.

The original is by far the best, but I respected the effort that China put into the 2007 series. It had its weaknesses, but the way it was done showed respect for the original.

One problem from the 2007 China series, however, is that they doubled the episode count. The original BUND was 25 episodes, but the 2007 Chinese version is 50 episodes. Certain plotlines were dragged out way too long, while others were unnecessarily rushed. The pacing was weird if you're used the the pace of the original.
    Yeah so far the pacing is great in The Bund. I'm addicted to the series The style is unique and it stands out amongst other 80's series. it reminds me of watching those old classic american gangster movies at times. i'm at episode 8 now where we meet the Japanese dudes and you're absolutely right. The white actors are terrible. Their lines make me cringe.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 02-28-09 at 01:51 AM.

Yeah so far the pacing is great in The Bund. I'm addicted to the series The style is unique and it stands out amongst other 80's series. it reminds me of watching those old classic american gangster movies at times.
    It's a great noirish feel. Even though the series is shot in color, you almost get a "black and white" vibe to it. I often wonder how the series would look in black and white (I guess people who watched it on black and white television sets back in the day would know).

i'm at episode 8 now and you're absolutely right. The white actors are terrible. Their lines make me cringe.
    Heh. But they're unintentionally hilarious. I always loved the white actors in those old TVB series because their lousy acting was always priceless.

Some were better than others. The guy who played Mr. Dupont back in Episode 3 was pretty decent, but most of them were complete stiffs. I wonder if these guys were better actors in their native languages (English, German, French, etc.).

This segment of THE BUND, I think, featured the best costumes for Chow Yun Fat. I really liked those three-piece suit ensembles with the bow ties that he wore during this segment. Those suits were classy. I've always wanted to have one made for myself (but getting the right kind of bow tie is hard).

I'm glad ur enjoying the Bund. You should give us a full review when you are done the whole thing.

I loved the 16mm shots. Yeah it's crap film, but it added feel to the scenes. It didn't feel like a regular TV show anymore. Bund as a whole doesn't feel like a conventional TV series to start with.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

A list of some of the gwai lo characters in THE BUND:

1. Mr. Dupont - the French businessman who wanted Fung Ging Yiu's help in kicking Chan Nien San's textile mill off a piece of property he was interested in. This actor was probably the best of the gwai lo actors in THE BUND. His delivery of his Cantonese lines sounded fairly natural, and so was his acting. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there for the gwai lo brigade.

2. Mr. Maurice - the French businessman who controlled the Shanghai Water and Power Department. Famously had his flunkies kicked by Hui Mun Keung. Stiff acting.

3. Unnamed "soccer fan" gwai lo: this guy was the worst. He was the one who was betting on the soccer tournament against Fung Ging Yiu. He was obviously reading his lines off a cue card held off camera, and I've never heard a worse butchery of Cantonese in my life. Then again, he was hilarious.

4. Englishman at the hotel: around Episode 9, there's this Englishman at a hotel who hits Lau Ming (the head student of the Chin Woo Martial Arts School, obviously patterned after Bruce Lee's famous character Chan Jen) with his cane. This guy had only one line ("You rubbish!" or something like that), but he was stiffer than the cane. Well, at least he looked menacing.

5. The French Ambassador: this guy shows up a little later in the series. Didn't have any memorable lines, but was an OK actor. Better than Mr. Soccer Fan, at least. Way better.

6. The Young Frenchman: shows up in the very last episode. I won't say what he did because it'd be a major plot spoiler, but I'll simply say that the guy looked kind of like Leonardo DiCaprio. Shows up very briefly at the beginning of Part 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I loved the 16mm shots. Yeah it's crap film, but it added feel to the scenes. It didn't feel like a regular TV show anymore. Bund as a whole doesn't feel like a conventional TV series to start with.
    That's how I feel too. THE BUND doesn't feel like a television series. It feels like a really, really long classic movie. It's almost like a movie with twenty-five parts.

3. Unnamed "soccer fan" gwai lo: this guy was the worst. He was the one who was betting on the soccer tournament against Fung Ging Yiu. He was obviously reading his lines off a cue card held off camera, and I've never heard a worse butchery of Cantonese in my life. Then again, he was hilarious.
    Yeah the episode 8 gwai lo was TERRIBLE but so terrible it managed to be really funny. It was the worse butchery of Cantonese ever. It's worse than hearing David Beckham rap. Someone should seriously put that scene on youtube LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I'm glad ur enjoying the Bund. You should give us a full review when you are done the whole thing.

Yeah definitely. I think i'll finish Bund 1 within a week.
    Well i don't mind the 16mm shots for the gritty night scenes. It definitely adds a lot to the atmosphere. It makes Shanghai look even more hellish. But when the mood is supposed to be bright outdoors, it puts a hamper on things. It's inconsistent with the indoor shots. Imagine LOCH '82 has that kind of outdoor scenes

That's how I feel too. THE BUND doesn't feel like a television series. It feels like a really, really long classic movie. It's almost like a movie with twenty-five parts.
    Yeah so far it feels like a Film Noir TV serial. I really like the feel and art direction of the series. There is definitely no other series like it. It even stands out in the Golden 80's. I still can't imagine how they managed to create such a series back in 1980. It boggles the mind.

Yeah the episode 8 gwai lo was TERRIBLE but so terrible it managed to be really funny. It was the worse butchery of Cantonese ever. It's worse than hearing David Beckham rap. Someone should seriously put that scene on youtube LOL.
    I bet that when the cameras were turned off, Chow Yun Fat, Lau Dan (Fung Ging Yiu), and the other Chinese actors probably had a hard time keeping a straight face at that guy. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if CYF and the other guys NGed (bloopered) this scene a dozen times breaking down in hysterics. I'd definitely have laughed my butt off!

Even when I saw this scene for the first time as a little kid, I wondered, "Where did TVB get this guy?!"

Well i don't mind the 16mm shots for the gritty night scenes. It definitely adds a lot to the atmosphere. It makes Shanghai look even more hellish.
    They chose some great locations too. I don't know if it's the case anymore, but during the early 1980s, there were still lots of old buildings in the Hong Kong area...buildings that dated back to the 1700s and 1800s and had been built by the British or the Portuguese. Some of these were bombed out and ruined during World War II, but the ruins left for picturesque locations that TVB used often during the 1970s and 1980s for location shots. At night, especially, these bombed-out old buildings really had a lot of character.

I don't think these buildings are around anymore; TVB hasn't used them since the early 1980s.

But when the mood is supposed to be bright outdoors, it puts a hamper on things. It's inconsistent with the indoor shots. Imagine LOCH '82 has that kind of outdoor scenes
    It's a good thing that TVB went to all-videotape when it began making the 1980s Jin Yong adaptations. The 1970s wuxia series all used 16 mm film for the location shots. You can see it in LUK SIU FUNG, CHOR LAU HEUNG, and those older series.

The last time I remember 16 mm being used by TVB for wuxia was in 1981's YEUNG FAMILY WOMEN WARRIORS. Just a few months later, TVB started work in DGSD '81, and it used a *little* 16 mm film just for parts of the opening title sequences (but none for the actual series footage itself). By the time that TVB made LOCH '82 a year later, TVB had given up on 16 mm film entirely.

So THE BUND was made at exactly the right time. Had the project been done even a year later, it would have had a very different look and feel.

Yeah so far it feels like a Film Noir TV serial. I really like the feel and art direction of the series. There is definitely no other series like it. It even stands out in the Golden 80's. I still can't imagine how they managed to create such a series back in 1980. It boggles the mind.
    Or at *any* time, really. Whatever drugs the TVB guys were taking in 1980, I wish they'd start taking them again.