Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sect

Default Favorite Sect

What's your favorite sect? Of all the sects in wuxia fiction, which one(s) do you respect the most?

Mine was Shaolin a few years ago. It was supposedly the best sect: "World's kungfu originates from Shaolin" and it had a strict moral system - Buddhism.

Right now I respect the Beggar Clan more. Beggar Clan has its share of impressive fighting styles: if everything comes from Shaolin, then eventually everything ends up in Beggar Clan. There's also no falsely forced morals, but many heroes of Beggar Clan respect the moral code of wulin out of their own will.

So which is your pick?

I pick Wudang for the most respectable sect, Carefree XY Sect for the most mysterious sect, and Ming Clan for the most organized clan (well, at least they did achieve something in the novel, compared to the Red Flower Society).

I like the Beggar's Union too. Aside from the Ming Cult, the Beggar's Union seemed to have the most colorful assortment of personalities, including several of the Jin Yong canon's greatest heroes (i.e. Kiu Fung and North Beggar Hung 7 Gung) and, in my opinion, the coolest martial art of all . . . the Hong Lung 18 Palms. Because they were not a religious sect, they didn't seem to have as many hangups as some of the more religious-based sects, and its members all seemed to be down-to-earth, ordinary guys who were easy to get along with.

I would like to make my own, so everyone got to call me grandmaster or something like that. They would still worship after I die.

beside that, I would choose Xiao Yao for the martial arts.

Originally posted by -NSX-
    I like E'Mei. They have lots of decent looking girls, and if I join them, I will have 100% scoring.
    They do have a reputation for being a bit mean, however, so be careful.

Not to mention that in SOD they seemed to accept male students. So, be ready for competition

Originally posted by TaiHan
    I would like to make my own, so everyone got to call me grandmaster or something like that. They would still worship after I die.
    Hehe. But no one would join in the first place unless you have something to offer, such as good kung fu skills or good literaturary skills, and you're able to teach your skills well.

Originally posted by rabadi
    Not to mention that in SOD they seemed to accept male students. So, be ready for competition
    I think Sung Ching Sheu was the one who broke the gender barrier and set the precedent for Ngor Mei Sect to become a co-ed school. I've been told that there were supposedly male Ngor Mei Sect members even before Sung Ching Sheu, but I haven't seen them in any HSDS adaptation.

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    I think Sung Ching Sheu was the one who broke the gender barrier and set the precedent for Ngor Mei Sect to become a co-ed school. I've been told that there were supposedly male Ngor Mei Sect members even before Sung Ching Sheu, but I haven't seen them in any HSDS adaptation.
    Didn't Mie Jie have like a martial brother that was killed by Xie Xun or he was the cause of her brother's death?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    Didn't Mie Jie have like a martial brother that was killed by Xie Xun or he was the cause of her brother's death?
    I think that was her *biological* brother, and he might or might not have been a member of the Ngor Mei Sect.

I could be wrong, however . . . I also seem to remember hearing something about a lover.

For me my favorite Sect is no sect at all. I prefer the all of the nomads and wanderers! Weird and crazy fellows who do as they wish and don't gave a dam about customs, traditions and rules! Those with unique skills that pop out of no where.

I like the saying. "He who stands alone stands the strongest".
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    I think that was her *biological* brother, and he might or might not have been a member of the Ngor Mei Sect.

I could be wrong, however . . . I also seem to remember hearing something about a lover.
    From what I recall the martial artists brother was her lover and that was why she was one of the reasons why she was so gung ho and hate Ming sect partily because of XX.

Charbydis mentioned that once I think?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Originally posted by Long
    For me my favorite Sect is no sect at all. I prefer the all of the nomads and wanderers! Weird and crazy fellows who do as they wish and don't gave a dam about customs, traditions and rules! Those with unique skills that pop out of no where.

I like the saying. "He who stands alone stands the strongest".
    and also brave
    Look at LHC after being kick out of Hua Shan was being hunted by both good and bad people. If you have a sect, it wouldn't be like that because there are rules to respect other sect but not individual people. HR have her father's reputation, so no one would touch her.

Also where would you learn martial art. Not everyone come across master who would teach you for free, and secret martial manual. Even with a manual who would explain it to you. Unless you are DY who study the book of change to understand such stuff with any basic of martial art.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    From what I recall the martial artists brother was her lover and that was why she was one of the reasons why she was so gung ho and hate Ming sect partily because of XX.

Charbydis mentioned that once I think?
    You're confusing things between the first edition and the second.

In the second, he is her biological brother, and he is not in Emei.

quan zhen, i like the 7 star or big dipper formation thing looks koo in every adaption also because zhou bak tong rocks and wong chong yeang was best martial artist , but i do hate the guy dat raped xln and yang guo's si fu (master???) and yau chu gay is stupid too

watz the translation for si fu and tao di (master and deciple?)
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Yea this is pretty cool. People like golden snake swordsman were cool. He was being hunted by every1 cause and he had no1 to bak him up but he was like the strongest fighter at the time........i think.
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

If joining an organized sect wasn't one's cup of tea, one could always try to become the student of a great independent martial artist like Wong Seung or Dook Goo Kau Bai. Guys like that tended to be rather eccentric, however, and might not be willing to take students.

Originally posted by kamii
    Yea this is pretty cool. People like golden snake swordsman were cool. He was being hunted by every1 cause and he had no1 to bak him up but he was like the strongest fighter at the time........i think.
    Last time I checked he was dead

I would pick Xiao Yao Pai.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Originally posted by ToOn99
    I would pick Xiao Yao Pai.
    Yup, XYP all the way!!

Coolest (albeit cheesiest) martial arts ever ever.