Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Default Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

If you were to pick your own Jin Yong's version of Leage of the Extraordinary Gentlemen, whom would you pick? Say, for the sake of this discussion:
    1. Select up to 7 main characters in JY's novels
    2. Exclude the Sweeper Monk (too powerful )
    3. Exclude the characters who never really appear in the novel (i.e: HS, DGQB, the eunuch who created KFBD, the founder of Xiao Yao Sect, etc.)
    4. Optional: if possible, please select at most 2 main characters from each novel, so as not to lump main characters from one novel together

I'll start with my own:
    1. XF. Well, who can leave out a character like XF? At least, I won't do it. He will be the main powerhouse.
    2. GJ. Call him dumb, call him stupid, but I will pick and appoint him as the leader of the team. Okay, okay, I'm biased Though short-lived, GJ was a Mongolian army for a while in LOCH, and then was in charge of Xiang Yang in ROCH until he died defending it (not a very good choice, IMHO, but nevertheless he got my utmost respects). So, the leader of the team shall he be.
    3. HR. She will be the main strategist. I could pick HYS, I suppose, because I believe that HYS was a bit smarter than his daughter, but I need someone to coordinate plans well with the leader of the team, which is GJ. I think HR will do better than her father in this aspect, and I'm not too sure about picking WXB.
    4. ZWJ. I certainly won't make him the leader of the team, but he has good resource to back him up, which is the Ming Clan. Of course with the assumption that he still has command over it. His medicine skill is also a good factor.
    5. DY. I won't ask him to go facing the enemies, but I will have him as somekind of a spy. With lightness gongfu like his, I think he would be perfect to sneak around collecting information from the enemy's headquarters, for example. Just don't ask him to fight, and I think he will be alright.
    6. CJL. As *stupid* as he was, I think I still could use him and his Red Flower Society to back up ZWJ and Ming Clan. Resources are important, IMHO.
    7. SPT. Okay, not too bright, perhaps too naive, but I think he can get the job done. I just need someone as powerful as him to back XF up, since I cannot choose XZ (because if I do then I will have more than 2 characters out of each novel).

What's your pick of the team?

Default Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by rabadi

3. HR. She will be the main strategist. I could pick HYS, I suppose, because I believe that HYS was a bit smarter than his daughter, but I need someone to coordinate plans well with the leader of the team, which is GJ. I think HR will do better than her father in this aspect, and I'm not too sure about picking WXB.
    league of extraordinary gentlemen means all males only right? How come HR is included on your list?

Default Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Top Dog
    league of extraordinary gentlemen means all males only right? How come HR is included on your list?
    Well, in the movie, there was a lady Mina Harker (from Dracula novel) in the team. So, the word gentlemen there is just to refer to people, not males in particular.

BTW, for those who haven't watched the movie (it was played sometime last year), here is the link: http://www.foxhome.com/lxg/

If you were to pick your own Jin Yong's version of Leage of the Extraordinary Gentlemen, whom would you pick? Say, for the sake of this discussion:
    3. Exclude the characters who never really appear in the novel (i.e: HS, DGQB, the eunuch who created KFBD, the founder of Xiao Yao Sect, etc.)
    4. Optional: if possible, please select at most 2 main characters from each novel, so as not to lump main characters from one novel together
    What's your pick of the team?
    OK, here is my team.

1. Team leader-YG-powerful and clever
    2.Vice President-XLN-YG will not agree to be one of my team without XLN. YG and XLN can fight together and that should be nice.
    3.Z3F-Obviously, he is mature nice guy and good fighter.
    4.ZWJ-He is an honest guy with his powerful kongfu. He can be quite useful
    5.Shi Po Tian-why not?
    6.Fong Ching Yang-His original 9 swords style should be better than LHC.
    7.I just think that my team still lacks the strategist. Since you only confine to JY's novel, it is quite tough though. I think WXB can be a good strategist.

1. The leader : XF ( charismatic and good leadership)
    2. Strategist : HR/HYS (could be anyone)
    3. Super Powerful : XZ or SPT
    4. Long Range attackers : Duan Yu
    5. Best sniper : GJ
    6. Best Diplomat : WXB
    7. Best Undercover Subordinate : A Zhu
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Default Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Thai guy
    OK, here is my team.

1. Team leader-YG-powerful and clever
    2.Vice President-XLN-YG will not agree to be one of my team without XLN. YG and XLN can fight together and that should be nice.
    Um, no. These two would likely just abandon their posts and leave their allies to die if they weren't in the mood to continue the fight. They're good fighters, but lousy team players (let alone leaders).

Default Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    Um, no. These two would likely just abandon their posts and leave their allies to die if they weren't in the mood to continue the fight. They're good fighters, but lousy team players (let alone leaders).
    I disagree. I believe that Yang Guo is a man of his words. If he has AGREED to be leader, he will not abandon his post especially during trying times. In ROCH, he has never agreed to join GJ in defending Xiang Yang forever and ever.

YG and XLN might leave the team, but I believe they will do so only in peaceful time and until the team get new replacements. In ROCH, Yang Guo only leave after the attack on Xiang Yang was set back significantly due to the death of that Mongol Chief.

I changed my mind now, I'll kick XF and HR out and replace them to YG as a leader and XLN as a strategist
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

XF
    XZ
    DY
    YG
    XLN
    GJ
    HR

Originally posted by ToOn99
    I changed my mind now, I'll kick XF and HR out and replace them to YG as a leader and XLN as a strategist
    Oh dear! How can you use such a naive and honest girl like XLN as a strategist?

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by kidd
    I disagree. I believe that Yang Guo is a man of his words. If he has AGREED to be leader, he will not abandon his post especially during trying times. In ROCH, he has never agreed to join GJ in defending Xiang Yang forever and ever.

YG and XLN might leave the team, but I believe they will do so only in peaceful time and until the team get new replacements. In ROCH, Yang Guo only leave after the attack on Xiang Yang was set back significantly due to the death of that Mongol Chief.
    I agree that YG would not leave the team unless he thinks everything has been resolved. But the problem is that YG is much more of a loner than an organizer and he looks down on people not as capable as himself (and lets them know about it). Not to mention he has a tendency for paranoia. He just seems to be the type of person who works much better alone (or in pairs with the love of his life) than in cooperative efforts within a group.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    I agree that YG would not leave the team unless he thinks everything has been resolved. But the problem is that YG is much more of a loner than an organizer and he looks down on people not as capable as himself (and lets them know about it).
    Who did he look down on?

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Who did he look down on?
    Uh... everyone.

The Quan Zhen Taoists, the Wu brothers, Guo Fu.... Basically, anyone and everyone who didn't rub him the right way one time or another, he looked down on. At times, it seemed like the only way one could get his respect was to be more or less an equal of his (or a pretty girl).
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default My 7

Xiao Feng : For straight up aura. And ehm..butt kicking.

Huang Yao Shi : This guy has class! Plus he can kick ***.

Zhang San Feng : For wisdom and calmness. Oh and Tai Chi!

Ling Hu Chong : To charm the ladies and drink with Xiao Feng.

Wu Yazi : Like HYS, he is talented in the arts (this is the league or _gentlemen_ after all) while being able to kick ***.

Wang Chong Yang : To talk Taoism to Z3F. I don't think HYS, XF and WYZ will get along with Z3F.

DONG FANG BU BAI!!! : Every team must have a cranky wierdo right?

Sorry, no GJ. I don't think he has the smarts to join this kinda league.
    Last edited by CC; 05-12-04 at 07:37 AM.

Default Re: My 7

Originally posted by CC
    Sorry, no GJ. I don't think he has the smarts to join this kinda league.
    He doesn't, but brains aren't everything and the team is quite well-stocked in its brain trust with some of the other members you proposed. What Gwok Jing brings is integrity, trustworthiness, reliability, strength, and confidence. That's a contribution I'll take any day.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Moinllieon

The Quan Zhen Taoists, the Wu brothers, Guo Fu.... Basically, anyone and everyone who didn't rub him the right way one time or another, he looked down on. At times, it seemed like the only way one could get his respect was to be more or less an equal of his (or a pretty girl).
    I think I would do the same if I am YG. Those people all deserve to be looked down on. There are no ways to develop them. It is quite ashamed for them to have such a great master.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I think I would do the same if I am YG. Those people all deserve to be looked down on. There are no ways to develop them. It is quite ashamed for them to have such a great master.
    A hero doesn't look down on others even when he is better than them.

A hero looks charitably upon others even if they don't match his standards, and respects them for what they are, even if they're not his equal.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

That may be well and all, but that's not the actions of a leader or a man who works well in groups. Like I said, YG is better working by himself than in a group.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pick your JY's League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Originally posted by Ken Cheng
    A hero doesn't look down on others even when he is better than them.

A hero looks charitably upon others even if they don't match his standards, and respects them for what they are, even if they're not his equal.
    Your view on "hero" is often extreme. The hero cannot even take a revenge even his arm was chopped off by someone.