Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How FCY got dugu nine swords?

Yang Guo could not have created DG9J. Jinyong specifically stated in an interview that his understanding of DGQB's swordsmanship was incomplete and inferior to that of LHC.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Yang Guo could not have created DG9J. Jinyong specifically stated in an interview that his understanding of DGQB's swordsmanship was incomplete and inferior to that of LHC.
    Come to think of it, the Heavy Iron Sword Technique isn't much to write home about as a sword technique, is it? Its greatness lies more in its being a way to develop a great amount of inner power in a short time (but you need all the right tools: the sword itself, the snake organs, and a decent base of inner power coming in).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ~Dan~ View Post
    Maybe DGQB appeared to him in person..because he actually hadn't died yet.
    maybe DGQB is really.....

DUN DUN DUN...

the giant condor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Come to think of it, the Heavy Iron Sword Technique isn't much to write home about as a sword technique, is it? Its greatness lies more in its being a way to develop a great amount of inner power in a short time (but you need all the right tools: the sword itself, the snake organs, and a decent base of inner power coming in).
    It actually is a very effective sword attack. Once Yang Guo channeled his qi through the sword, opponent's defenses simply had no way of standing up to it. It's like XL18Z, the moves may not be exquisite, but it's pretty up there in raw power. The fact that training with it builds up strength quickly is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    It actually is a very effective sword attack. Once Yang Guo channeled his qi through the sword, opponent's defenses simply had no way of standing up to it. It's like XL18Z, the moves may not be exquisite, but it's pretty up there in raw power. The fact that training with it builds up strength quickly is a bonus.
    But as a *sword* attack, it's sort of...nondescript. Once you have the requisite inner power for it, the sword itself becomes almost redundant.

It's not really a sword technique the way we really usually think of sword techniques. But I guess most of Dook Goo Kau Bai's stuff was like that.

But as a *sword* attack, it's sort of...nondescript. Once you have the requisite inner power for it, the sword itself becomes almost redundant.

It's not really a sword technique the way we really usually think of sword techniques. But I guess most of Dook Goo Kau Bai's stuff was like that.
    you wouldn't normally the the same moves w/o a sword. You'd just look silly.

Unless perhaps until you've reached the no-sword stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    you wouldn't normally the the same moves w/o a sword. You'd just look silly.

Unless perhaps until you've reached the no-sword stage...
    That's sort of how I see it, really. There was nothing elegant or exquisite about the Heavy Iron Sword Technique. It was just hacking with extreme inner power. At a certain point, Yeung Gor was able to do that without that heavy piece of iron in hand.

That's sort of how I see it, really. There was nothing elegant or exquisite about the Heavy Iron Sword Technique. It was just hacking with extreme inner power. At a certain point, Yeung Gor was able to do that without that heavy piece of iron in hand.
    but he could do that before, too...any of us can hack (you can with your heavenly sword, too). the thing is...without the iron sword, can YG still hack as well as he could with the iron sword? Or...was that really the point or did YG miss the point completely?

Quote Originally Posted by the.raven View Post
    maybe DGQB is really.....

DUN DUN DUN...

the giant condor.
    DGQB was disguised as the Condor. Also, DGQB is also the Sweeper Monk. Also, we know Ah Zhu was disguised as Sweeper Monk all along. Hence Ah Zhu = SM, DGQB, and Condor.

I think Jinyong implied that Yang Guo only used it like that because he had not fully understood everything there was to know about the Heavy Iron Sword (due to the lack of an actual teacher), which is why no matter how hard or how long he practiced, he couldn't advance to the next stage (wooden sword).
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

It's where sword techniques stop being reliant on the sword and the technique. It shares the principle with 18 dragon subduing palms that simplicity beats complexity, but it amplifies that idea, forcing it home with a sword that's neither a sword nor any good for techniques, but is tremendously good at channelling power. When Yang Guo first picked up the sword, the Eagle tested his understanding immediately. Only when his strength proved inadequate did the Eagle put him on the diet and training regime.

I still think that the gallbladers don't increase internal strength as such, but smooth the flow of qi, thus allowing for greater benefits from training. A catalyst, but not a top-up. From ROCH chapter 26:

So in a few bites, he quickly swallowed the gallbladders, and then sat
    up to meditate. To his great surprise, many of the pressure points along
    his inner channels that he had a hard time sending inner energy flowing
    through before suddenly opened up, and the energy flow inside him became
    quite smooth and fluent. With great happiness, Yang Guo uttered a loud
    cry of joy. Usually, when someone was in the middle of cultivating his
    inner energy flow in a meditative state, it was critical for him to
    abstain from irrelevant thoughts, especially extreme joy or extreme
    grief. But this time his inner energy continued to flow smoothly around
    his body with no hitches or any blockage.

Banned

another theory I have is that LCH travelled back in time to find DGQB and created a time paradox. LCH tried to find DGQB, so he started fighting all the top martial artists in an attempt to draw out DGQB. since DGQB wanted to fight with the best, if LCH was to defeat all martial artists, then DGQB would show up to fight LHC, I know I just typed LCH 3 times, but I'm too lazy to change it, anyways, LHC beats everyone in the world, but DGQB still did not show up. It then occured to LHC that HE was DGQB after all, the one that defeated all under heaven. and DG9J really came from him. thus solving the mystery of the century as to where DG9J really came from. LHC passed down the knowledge of his skills and eventually in the future, FQy learnt it and taught it to the LHC from the future. makes sense?

Either that, or DGQB was really the giant condor.

Quote Originally Posted by the.raven View Post
    another theory I have is that LCH travelled back in time to find DGQB and created a time paradox. LCH tried to find DGQB, so he started fighting all the top martial artists in an attempt to draw out DGQB. since DGQB wanted to fight with the best, if LCH was to defeat all martial artists, then ...
    Ling Chong-Hu?

Ooooh I got one.

Purple flexible sword is Dugu 9 Jian stage. He had a sword manual and everything for it, was a cocky young person so of course prefaced the manual with how he never needed to defend, nobody is his match, etc. That's why Feng knows his history.

Then he does meet a pretty powerful hero to duel with, and he has to fight like Linghu Chong and stick his sword in random places (like the fight against Chongxu) and hope for the best, and technically wins but permanently injures a righteous hero.

Since they are two super experts they are clearly fighting on top of a mountain with lots of snow, and in his realization that he did something terribly wrong, he throws his sword and the manual down the mountain. The sword is never found again, but the manual being lighter is blown somewhere where somebody eventually is able to find it and passes it onto Feng Qingyang.

Feng never knows about the later accomplishments of Dugu, and Dugu thinks Dugu 9 Jian will never see the light of day again, so he doesn't bother mentioning it on his tomb. HIS is much safer and controllable with no risk of stabby slicey danger, so he talks about that instead.
    Last edited by tape; 12-17-13 at 12:57 AM.

The fact that his second stage requires a flexible sword pretty much indicates it's not DG9J.

Besides, the random places thing is formless theory and not DG9J's attack the weak point theory. Against, CX, LHC had recognized that the center of the circle was the weakness; he just wasn't 100% sure and if he had been wrong in his recognition, he'd have lost his arm. Turns out his insight was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    The fact that his second stage requires a flexible sword pretty much indicates it's not DG9J.

Besides, the random places thing is formless theory and not DG9J's attack the weak point theory. Against, CX, LHC had recognized that the center of the circle was the weakness; he just wasn't 100% sure and if he had been wrong in his recognition, he'd have lost his arm. Turns out his insight was correct.
    I just remember him thinking Feng told him that all arts had to have a weakness, and he didn't try the center yet, so he dove in.

To me, he gambled and got extremely lucky. What if what Feng told him simply wasn't true?

And about the flexible sword, it was never said that it was required. He just chose to use it. I don't see anything wrong with that. It allows for more surprising positions!

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    And about the flexible sword, it was never said that it was required. He just chose to use it. I don't see anything wrong with that. It allows for more surprising positions!
    You could be right about that.

Flexible Sword, Surprising Position