Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Which TVB series do you collect????

My turn, my turn, my turn!!! Lol Well here it is. Only TVB that is, hehe.

DVD or VCD
    Duke of Mount Deer 84
    Yang's Saga

Tapes
    Heartstrings
    Class of Distinction
    Outburst
    A Good Match from Heaven
    War and Rememberence
    DIF 1 to 3
    Demi Gods Semi Devils 96
    Journey to the West 2
    Man's Best Friend
    Healing Hands
    Crimson Sabre
    Ultra Protection
    Colourful Life
    The Trust of a Lifetime
    Survivor's Law
    Seed of Hope
    Triumph in the Skies
    Net Deception

Hehe, I would love to get more though!!! Mostly the older series of TVB. Like a lot of the series in the 80's which stars Tony Leung, hehe.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

LoL, the tapes do flicker and degrade over time. I still have the original Condor Trilogy (82,83,86) on tape but they are flickering or the sound quality is degrading even though they are legit copies---right now I am converting all my tapes to DVD but it is costing me a whole bundle in DVD-Rs (.40 a piece). Maybe I should buy a DVD recorder and stretch it to 6 hrs per DVD.
    Anyone know if the quality is still decent if you extend from VHS to DVD 6hrs?
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

I have ATV & TVB & a few Taiwan & Mainland chinese drama TV series.

I preferred owning some old good rare productions of the 1980's & 1990's of TVB especially ATV which its much rare to find & to be release on VCDs or DVD boxsets.

Its too bad that some good oldies chinese drama TV Series of the 1980's & 1990's productions of ATV have NOT been release in original cantonese audio language or in cantonese/mandarin audio languages in VCDs boxsets but only in dubbed-mandarin audio language or in other asian-dubbed language which I don't understand.

In my opinion, most of today's or recent TVB & ATV productions are NOT worth watching & NOT as good as productions of 1980's & 1990's.

goddess: what's the version of your ultra protection? tape or vcd?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Thats what I was thinking of doing with a few of my older tapes hkopinions. Was thinking of buying a DVD recorder too, but I'm too poor at the moment, lol.

Hi ya cherrie I've got Ultra Protection on tapes. Got it a little while ago. Year or so?
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Originally posted by goddessofhonour

Hehe, I would love to get more though!!! Mostly the older series of TVB. Like a lot of the series in the 80's which stars Tony Leung, hehe.

I also like older tvb series especially 1980's & 1990's productions along with older ATV series.

Have you watched tony leung in the following 80's tvb series:
    1. the rough ride---starring with barbara yung mei ling

2. a long way home----starring yammie nam kit ying

3. the grand canal----starring idy chan yuk lin

4. heaven sword & dragon sabre 1986's version---starring kitty lai mei han

5. police cadet 1984---starring with margie tsang wah sin.

does anyone know the name of the tvb series which tong leung & carina lau ka ling starred in as a couple?

additional to my series list:
    at the threshold of an era 1
    lady flower fist

will get them later
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

From the postings that I have read in this thread, If all of you going to combine the collection, it can become a TVB serials library or rental shop!.. I am really impressed with all your collections!! =)
    "Count no man happy until he dies" ~ Sophocles

Hehe, yup agree earth. I also like a lot of ATV's productions. I have quite a few that were produced in the mid 90's or so. Haven't seen much of ATV's early 80's/90's productions though.

From the list you have, I've only seen HSDS86. Other then that, I am not able to locate the other series at my rental store. I do think that The Grand Canal is being sold though. Not quite sure though.

I really want to see Police Cadet 84 and 85 though. Listened to both themesongs and they sound very lively. Tony's singing... Also I love him paired with Margie Tsang!!! They were very cute in Yang's Saga

hehe caelle Wouldn't that be great? Have a Spcnet Series Marathon and we all could gather to watch all our series!!! Lol, then again this is all in my imagination
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

While watching the old series, it makes me feel like how fashion, and lifestyle have changes over the years. (the modern series anyways)

ATV do have lots of gems in their history... too bad a lot of people will miss them due to their negativity from those that are loyal to TVB.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Here are some old TVB I got, just started transferring them to DVD but going to take entire summer to finish

KMDGGB (Felix great, they should make a remake of this or similar)
    Police Cadet
    DGSD82
    The Foundation
    Luk SF
    DOMD (tony was great)
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

HK, you have an VCR with output to put it on your computer to burn it on DVD?

I want to put some of my Tape stuff on VCD, but hasn't work out yet
    Flame on I am gone...

i want to transfer my tapes to vcd too, but i don't have that stuff in my computer. and having it transferred by stores is so expensive. so im now looking around the net for the vcds of the tapes that i want to preserve
    cherrie

Originally posted by hkopinions
    Here are some old TVB I got, just started transferring them to DVD but going to take entire summer to finish

KMDGGB (Felix great, they should make a remake of this or similar)
    Police Cadet
    DGSD82
    The Foundation
    Luk SF
    DOMD (tony was great)
    Bet it would be a great project for you =p There's your summer ;p But I think it is worthwhile :P

Originally posted by goddessofhonour
    Hehe, yup agree earth. I also like a lot of ATV's productions. I have quite a few that were produced in the mid 90's or so. Haven't seen much of ATV's early 80's/90's productions though.

From the list you have, I've only seen HSDS86. Other then that, I am not able to locate the other series at my rental store. I do think that The Grand Canal is being sold though. Not quite sure though.

I really want to see Police Cadet 84 and 85 though. Listened to both themesongs and they sound very lively. Tony's singing... Also I love him paired with Margie Tsang!!! They were very cute in Yang's Saga

hehe caelle Wouldn't that be great? Have a Spcnet Series Marathon and we all could gather to watch all our series!!! Lol, then again this is all in my imagination
    Yupe..... definitely

Originally posted by hkopinions
    LoL, the tapes do flicker and degrade over time. I still have the original Condor Trilogy (82,83,86) on tape but they are flickering or the sound quality is degrading even though they are legit copies---right now I am converting all my tapes to DVD but it is costing me a whole bundle in DVD-Rs (.40 a piece). Maybe I should buy a DVD recorder and stretch it to 6 hrs per DVD.
    Anyone know if the quality is still decent if you extend from VHS to DVD 6hrs?

I've just started doing the same thing recently, when I finally bought a DVD-Recorder (Panasonic E-80) to convert all my tapes to DVD. The tapes just took too much space, since I have a huge collection of TVB serials and other sci-fi stuff (probably about 500 tapes in all in 2 big heavy boxes).

Anyway, to answer your question about the quality, my Panasonic can record at 1 hr (XP), 2 hr (SP), 4 hr (LP) and 6 hr (EP), but the 6 hour mode really really sucks. You can see the pixelation. The four hour mode isn't great either. I only have a small TV (19 inch) but I'd imagine it would look even more crappy if you had a HD-TV. There's also the flexible record option on the panasonic, which allows you to use any time limit you want to fill an entire DVD-R so it maximizes the disc space. I've found there's a difference in recording from TV and recording from VHS tapes, the TV broadcast being a lot clearer of course. So for myself, I try to put 4 episodes on a single DVD if I'm recording from the TV, or 3 episodes at most if recording from tape. Still not too costly, since DVDs cost about $0.50 or less right now. That would cost about $3-4 for an average 20 episode series. Fairly cheap for good entertainment. So, I would record 2 hours tops per DVD from tape, and maybe 3 hours from TV. If you record at 1 hour per DVD, then there is no discernible difference at all from the source- just about impossible to see any difference.
    Oh, one great thing I've found with converting VHS to DVD is that the recorder has some sort of picture stabilizer built-in, so it tries to smooth out some of the fuzzy stuff on really old tapes. Definitely a noticeable improvement in quality.

Hope that helps. Oh, and a recorder with a built-in hard drive helps a lot too if you need to edit (like cut out commercials) before burning to disc.

I'll join in with my list. Living in an area where there's a TVB station showing old serials definitely helps. I'm basically recording whatever is shown on TV. Some of the tapes are old and a bit fuzzy, and I've combined some from my other family members (just cheating a little here).

Blood of Good and Evil (in my favorite top 3 for sure)
    Looking Back In Anger
    Police Cadet 84, 85
    Fearless Duo
    Legend of the Condor Heroes 82, 94
    Return of the Condor Heroes 95
    Demi Gods and Semi Devils 82 and 96
    Duke of Mount Deer 84
    Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain 84? and 99?
    Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 2000
    Turbulent Decade
    Change of Time (another favorite)
    Price of Growing Up
    And Yet We Live
    Vengeance
    Greed of Man
    Challenge of Life
    Blood-Stained Intrigue
    Secret of the Heart
    Cold Blood Warm Heart
    At The Threshold of an Era I and II
    DIF 4
    Files of Justice 5
    The Breaking Point
    The War Heroes
    Feud of Two Brothers
    Drifters

Square Pegs
    Golden Faith
    Whatever It Takes
    Witness to a Prosecution II
    Ups and Downs in the Sea of Love
    Healing Hands I and II
    Burning Flame I

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I have a friend who has practically everything from the last 10-15 years!

Yeah, I just finished transferring my first VHS to DVD Series (LOCH82)--I put 6 hrs on each to save money and the quality is the same and certain areas even better. I had bought a DVD-recorder/RW/Ram from Costco ($400) and it edits all the jumping and frame skipping on the VHS. A lot of time to finish my collection cause it takes a long time for it to fix the glitches and tracking problems--still worth it.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

have anyone tried the TIVO system... to record series on TV. I know the technology is not ready for Saskatchewan but I heard most place support this already.

This is another way to collect your favorite series on TV.
    Flame on I am gone...

yeah i've heard about the TIVo system, that's way too convenient and easier to record your favourite tv programmes.
    but it's mot available yet in most places in asia.