Thread: Ponderings on Chor Lau Heung

Default Ponderings on Chor Lau Heung

I may have liked Chor Lau Heung's character in the past but upon rewatching Miu Kiu Wai's version again there were some things that I didn't like about CLH's character. Maybe MKW's adaptation has misinterpreted his character but geez...he seems like a womanizer....not to a bad point like Ou Yang Ke(Ou Yang Feng's nephew) but it seems CLH LIKES to lead the girls who like him on as though he loves them.

As we know, he already has like three girls who can play Go(chess), cook and play the zither for him BUT who does he really love? He can't possibly love all three girls equally at all times.

I'm sorry but I'm not familar with the novels of Gu Long but I guess it would be an obvious statement to say CLH is quite a playboy hero?

I also wonder was CLH's friend Yat Dim Hong accurately portrayed in MKW's version with the actor, Austin Wai (I think that's his name, I'm forgetting ) He doesn't seem as too coldhearted even though he doesn't like to explain himself, hates asking ppl for favor. He likes handling his own business by himself. But under all that layer of coldness in the exterior, I think he's a character to admire, right? Can someone tell me of his character in the novel?

Also can someone tell me about Hu Xue Hua's character too? I thought the actor who portrayed him in MKW's version was pretty funny at times.

I think Ken Cheng or somebody months ago said that Gu Long gave his male characters very feminine names right? I agree, their names are very feminine(sp?).

Why does everyone call CLH, Heung Shui? I mean even the men called him that nickname. It seem a bit weird to me.

But anyway, it just seems CLH is such a clever playboy with so many women around him...much like JY's WXB character, however, CLH is the classy and suave guy while WXB is the mischivious pervert who is skilled at scheming and lying.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-09-04 at 03:22 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

As we know, he already has like three girls who can play Go(chess), cook and play the zither for him BUT who does he really love? He can't possibly love all three girls equally at all times.
    Why this isn't possible?

it seems CLH LIKES to lead the girls who like him on as though he loves them.
    It doesn't seem. It is. And tt is very obvious.

I'm sorry but I'm not familar with the novels of Gu Long but I guess it would be an obvious statement to say CLH is quite a playboy hero?
    It is very obvious from the novel.

And most part, you answered yourself about Chow Liu Xiang.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Why isn't it possible well...you see all these other heroes who has only a heart for one woman. I'm just saying even though he can be a likeable character, but for some of the similar reasons, people can look at it in a different angle and may dislike him too.

Well DUH! I know it's a fact in the matter of what kind of guy CLH is, I didn't ask you YON to tell me that, I'm just simply jotting down what thoughts I had when I was REwatching the series. Give me a break, Madame Yon.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default Re: Ponderings on Chor Lau Heung

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    Why does everyone call CLH, Heung Shui? I mean even the men called him that nickname. It seem a bit weird to me.
    Well, his name is Chor Laung Heung and he is the King(Shui) of thieves, and Heung Shui certainly sounds better than Chor Shui or Lau Shui or Lau Heung Shui.

Default Re: Re: Ponderings on Chor Lau Heung

Originally posted by kidd
    Well, his name is Chor Laung Heung and he is the King(Shui) of thieves, and Heung Shui certainly sounds better than Chor Shui or Lau Shui or Lau Heung Shui.
    I was kind of puzzled on th Shui/shuai part...since it does mean handsome, so why would ppl including men call him Heung Shui/Xiang Shuai? Hahaa I know he's handsome but kind of weird for men to call him that too. But your explaination sounds right.

Thanks Kidd.

Why isn't it possible well...you see all these other heroes who has only a heart for one woman. I'm just saying even though he can be a likeable character, but for some of the similar reasons, people can look at it in a different angle and may dislike him too.

Well DUH! I know it's a fact in the matter of what kind of guy CLH is, I didn't ask you YON to tell me that, I'm just simply jotting down what thoughts I had when I was REwatching the series. Give me a break, Madame Yon.

oo.. so you were just posting some mind floating of what you think, not asking any opinion from others. DUH! I didn't know jotting down what you think without getttin opinion was allowed in your forum... Wonderful Suet Sueng! And yes.. I will give you a break! And Shueng Gu will be more appreciate if you want to call me with any respectful word.

**Below is nothing to do with Suet Sueng**

Seriously. GL is a womanizer. Why would anyone expect a hero who has one heart for one girl from his novel? Highly unlikely GL will believe in love will stay true.
    And of course I wouldn't get any feedback from Miss Suet Sueng since I didn't ask Miss Suet Sueng to respond my post.! And please do give me a break too. I need one.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Default Re: Ponderings on Chor Lau Heung

I also wonder was CLH's friend Yat Dim Hong...
    Who was that? Was he the Red Swordsman?

Isn't it because Chu Liuxiang has this slight fragrance on him which is why people calls him Xiang-shuai?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Precisely why Hu Tie Hua called him Stinky Chu

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I was kind of puzzled on th Shui/shuai part...since it does mean handsome, so why would ppl including men call him Heung Shui/Xiang Shuai? Hahaa I know he's handsome but kind of weird for men to call him that too. But your explaination sounds right.

Thanks Kidd.
    Shuai can literally mean handsome, it can also mean sort of like a commander. Like in the army commanders would be called *Surname* Shuai. It doesn't mean they are handsome. Being called Xiang Shuai doesn't really mean people are calling him handsome all the time. It's because he is a Dao Shuai - master of grave robbery, hence the name Xiang Shuai to which people call him.

As for him being a womaniser, I never saw him in the same light as WXB. I believed CLX only ever took interest in one female at a time. He might 'check out' other pretty ladies and flirt with them but that was it. His three companions aren't really his lovers until later and only Rong Rong caught his attention. The other two were more his maids/close friends. He was very Jun Zi in that he never set out to take advantage of the women he met (usually it's the women who throw themselves at him). He is very mature and understands how to play the game. WXB just wants sleep with every pretty girl he meets.