Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memoirs Of A Geisha Casting

Default Memoirs Of A Geisha Casting

In Entertainment News...

Well it's looking more and more likely that Zhang Ziyi will get the leading role in Steven Spielberg's production of Memoirs of a Geisha, based on Arthur Golden's bestselling novel, and directed by Rob Marshall, director of the multi-Oscar award winner Chicago.

Zhang Ziyi, when asked if she'll be starring: "I can't tell now. The production company will announce it later."

Recent news has it that Michelle Yeoh has also been confirmed to be starring in the film in a presently unknown role.

Michelle Yeoh: "Let's wait for the production company's announcement."

If that's not enough, a recent unconfirmed rumor is that Gong Li was also cast in the film!

I can hear it now: And the Academy Award for Best Female Actor goes to....
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 07-28-04 at 05:41 PM.
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

i think gong li would really fit the role!! feminine and matured ~ wat a geisha would be

michelle yeoh - no offense ar.. 'not polished' or feminine

zhang ziyi - attractive but looks too young / not feminine

Why don't they cast a Japanese??????

Originally posted by tinac
    Why don't they cast a Japanese??????
    Because the Japanese doesn't look Japanese enough?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Bah. Maggie Cheung had already been saying that she'll be in this since last century (well, it is, I kid you not). But since then, the 5-6 movies Spielberg made ain't this one.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Anybody read the book before??
    Apparently the main character, Chiyo, who was later in the book known as Sayuri when she became a geisha has unusual blue-gray eyes. I wonder how will Zhang Ziyi look with tinted contacts if she get the role. Then again, they might just scrap the idea and distort the book as hollywood movies are fond of doing....

Anyhow, I am not very suppportive of having a Hollywood production company the turning the book into a movie. They would use english instead of japanese when they converse, and they usually stereotype Asian characters.

Great stories had been destroyed in the hands of hollywood, and I certainly hope Memoirs of a Geisha will not follow next.
    Last edited by beansprouts; 07-30-04 at 08:51 AM.

I think they should have a Japanese cast. I hope it won't be All-English dialogue. Thus the need of Japanese cast should the filmmakers decide to have Japanese dialogues in the movie.

How about the woman from Last Samurai? Maybe not as the main character..but I think she's beautiful.

hmm, i don't think Zhang Zi yi should be casted.... I think u should stick to some jap actress since this is a novel centraling around jap cultural right?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I think they should have a jap cast too. But i dont think they will filmed it in jap, its is a hollywood movie afterall, they need to commercialized it and make it appeal to the masses. How on earth are they suppose to reach out to the millions of Americans if it is filmed in jap?

I dont think Zhang Ziyi is suitable for the role. She does not look jap enough, and does not have the type of mystical beauty about her. She look more like a spoiled brat than a geisha who is graceful and skilled at all sorts of ancient jap culture.

BTW: Jap may be a short form to many people here, but to many others, it is a demeaning way to call the Japanese, as it is used during the WW2 by US soldiers as a way of insult, I think. Or rather, that's what I was told.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

cool, i never knew that.....

Originally posted by beansprouts
    I think they should have a jap cast too. But i dont think they will filmed it in jap, its is a hollywood movie afterall, they need to commercialized it and make it appeal to the masses. How on earth are they suppose to reach out to the millions of Americans if it is filmed in jap?

I dont think Zhang Ziyi is suitable for the role. She does not look jap enough, and does not have the type of mystical beauty about her. She look more like a spoiled brat than a geisha who is graceful and skilled at all sorts of ancient jap culture.
    I think so too. I think Xiao Xue would be a good choice as the Japanese geisha for this movie. I read the book, and she seems to fit the mold. Plus she is a mystical beauty. Just look at the job she did in Last Samurai. Excellent.

Plus I would hate to see Zhang Ziyi in another "big hit" movie and have her mess it up because her acting skills are crap.

@ chynagongju!

Well, imo it's very unfortunate that there aren't that many, if any, big named Japanese stars, well known enough throughout the world, who could help draw in worldwide viewers.

Everyone's criticising Zhang Ziyi (as usual), in this case, for being Chinese, not Japanese. Yet, everyone "conveniently" forgets the fact that Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li are also Chinese, not Japanese.

Am I surprised the focus of attacks are on Zhang Ziyi? No. I'm used to it.

Am I surprised that people don't realize a big budget film has to have big names to recoup the investment? Yes. Very much so.

Again, I agree that it's unfortunate no Japanese actress has been casted for a lead role. Then again, few if any are well known enough worldwide to compete with the HUGE box office drawing potential of these three Chinese actresses. Unlike smaller indies and arthouse productions - which can consider lesser named roles, big budget films have to factor in names that will draw people to see the film.

For instance, if I, a complete unknown, were to star in the leading role in The Terminator or Mission Impossible or I, Robot, no one would be drawn to see it. Even though my acting would arguably be better!

It's the same here. It's just too easy to sit back and criticize the way studios spend their money on casting. But when investing tons of cash into making such a potential Oscar contender and box office hit, you have to have names that people will know and recognize.

Yes, a few people "may" recognize the Japanese girl (name?) from The Last Samurai - the few who may have seen the film. And though they are not Japanese, what better drawing potential than Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li?! Is there Japanese actresses that can match that in box office potential? Please! I think not!

Wake up, peoples, and try to see things from the perspective of a big budget film producer. They simply don't have the options that indie and arthouse film producer have...

As for Zhang Ziyi's acting skills, I'd trust an experience filmmaker's judgement, like that of multiple Oscar winner and box office hit maker Steven Speilberg's, over that of any of the haters here.

Am I surprised that people don't realize a big budget film has to have big names to recoup the investment? Yes. Very much so.
    A big budget movie does not necessarily requires big names to make it work. Look what happen to LOTR, how many so-called big names are in the trilogy?? It is one of the highest grossing movie of all times. How many of us have heard of Orlando Bloom before he was in LOTR. A big budget movie can use obscure actors and be successful at the same time. Even more so for Memoirs, with names like Steven Spielberg backing the movie. Besides, who has heard of Zhang Ziyi before her big break with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon??

Casting big names might not work either, look at Troy, Catwoman and House of Flying Daggers (yes another Zhang Ziyi show). Troy (brad pitt and orlando bloom) earned quite a respectable amount at the box office but it was not critically acclaimed, critics just humped on about how good the leads look half naked. Catwoman (Halle Berry) was bashed by critics before it actually opens. And HOFD (Andy lau, Kaneshiro) is, well, haha, I dont think I need to say anything.

Why should I see in the perspective of a big budget producer? I am a consumer for god's sake. What I am seeing is that they can't tell a good story base on Memoirs and have to depend on star power to bring in the crowd.

As for Zhang Ziyi's acting skills, I'd trust an experience filmmaker's judgement, like that of multiple Oscar winner and box office hit maker Steven Speilberg's, over that of any of the haters here
    I resent that.
    We are not haters just because we have an opinion about Zhang Ziyi.

A big budget movie does not necessarily requires big names to make it work.
    I'm glad you think my starring in the lead role in The Terminator or Mission Impossible or I, Robot would sell.

However, the likelihood of a blockbuster would increase dramatically if bigger, more well known stars were to be cast in such lead roles. Sure, LotR is just one examples of a few unknowns leading the cast of a big budget blockbuster. It certainly is far from typical...

Besides, who has heard of Zhang Ziyi before her big break with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon??
    Just to inform you, Ang Lee prefered Shu Qi, who then had greater name recognition, over Zhang Ziyi.

Casting big names might not work either, look at Troy, Catwoman and House of Flying Daggers (yes another Zhang Ziyi show).
    Are you refering to the same House of Flying Daggers, starring a big named cast, that's on the road to becoming the second highest grossing film in mainland history, after Titanic? Is that the film you're talking about?

As for Catwoman and Troy, they'd likely do even worse at the box office starring you and me, respectively.

Why should I see in the perspective of a big budget producer? I am a consumer for god's sake. What I am seeing is that they can't tell a good story base on Memoirs and have to depend on star power to bring in the crowd.
    I respect your opinion, but disagree with you. I find Michelle Yeoh, Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi fine actresses that can do much more than just "bring in the crowd." Their talents and experiences will greatly enhance any film they star in, including Memoirs of a Geisha.

I resent that.
    We are not haters just because we have an opinion about Zhang Ziyi.
    Why the resentment? I'm not offended by your opinions. So, why would you even care if I think you're a hater?

Unless you're really not one. In that case, my apologies...

I am honoured that you have quoted in five occasions.

I think you missed my point. I am not making a personal attack on Zhang Ziyi just because I would not like to see her acting in Memoirs. I do not resent your opinions but I resent the fact that you are calling us names because we do not think that Zhang Ziyi is a good choice.

Just to inform you, Ang Lee prefered Shu Qi, who then had greater name recognition, over Zhang Ziyi
    And Zhang Ziyi did well in that movie even though she was quite unknown back then and rose to international stardom. Proving that an unknown actress can do well and even better than a more recognized one in a movie. So what is your point??

Are you refering to the same House of Flying Daggers, starring a big named cast, that's on the road to becoming the second highest grossing film in mainland history, after Titanic? Is that the film you're talking about?
    And yes I am refering to the same House of Flying Daggers. The same one I quote "with too many special effects sequences, a plot that falls apart two-thirds into the film and an earnestness, a naked desire to be "great" that results in many instances of unintentional humour." The same one that is falling short of expectations after Hero and receive bad press everywhere it goes. You mean you know of another one??

But I digress.
    Instead of turning this forum into a full blown fight. Why dont we discuss more amiable things.
    Like other than Zhang, Gong and Yeoh, are there no one else suited for the role??
    And what about the other roles, like the male roles and the young version of the female lead??
    Last edited by beansprouts; 08-01-04 at 03:54 AM.

I think you missed my point. I am not making a personal attack on Zhang Ziyi just because I would not like to see her acting in Memoirs. I do not resent your opinions but I resent the fact that you are calling us names because we do not think that Zhang Ziyi is a good choice.
    It seams that you're confused about your own point. Let me quote what you've said to remind you...
    Originally posted by beansprouts [Zhang Ziyi] look more like a spoiled brat than a geisha who is graceful and skilled at all sorts of ancient jap culture.
    You forgot you had made a "personal attack on Zhang Ziyi," right? Your own words are the reason why I addressed you appropriately as a "hater." So no, I didn't miss your point, and there's no need for your resentment.

And Zhang Ziyi did well in that movie even though she was quite unknown back then and rose to international stardom. Proving that an unknown actress can do well and even better than a more recognized one in a movie. So what is your point??
    My point is that Ang Lee was fully justified in wanting a more well known actress for his film. It was his film. He and his production company were responsible for the budget and box office revenue and it's increase by having a better known actress. Ang Lee had every right, and even responsibility, to prefer Shu Qi over Zhang Ziyi for Crouching Tiger - as Speilberg does for Memoirs of a Geisha.

And yes I am refering to the same House of Flying Daggers. The same one I quote "with too many special effects sequences, a plot that falls apart two-thirds into the film and an earnestness, a naked desire to be "great" that results in many instances of unintentional humour." The same one that is falling short of expectations after Hero and receive bad press everywhere it goes. You mean you know of another one??
    We may or may not be talking about the same film. Eitherway, my advice to you is to rely less on mixed reviews by critics and to see films for yourself. There must be a reason why people are flocking see Flying Daggers, breaking box office records all over China in the process. You should find out for yourself why before relying on negative reviews alone to form your judgement.

But I digress.
    Instead of turning this forum into a full blown fight. Why dont we discuss more amiable things.
    Like other than Zhang, Gong and Yeoh, are there no one else suited for the role??
    And what about the other roles, like the male roles and the young version of the female lead??
    I do agree, though, that it's pointless to criticize a casting decision that's very likely already been made. Either you think these great Chinese actresses have something to offer to the production or you don't. Eitherway, they're very likely to be in the film.

As for male roles, I've not heard anything. Thus far, the news has been only of the female casting. Good news imo. It's just is unfortunate that Japanese actresses was not be cast for a lead role. Only the production decision I've explained before could explain it imo.

I would still prefer Xiao Shue to be starring in Memoirs.

I just don't find Zhang Ziyi's acting skills very convincing. Her performance in CTHD was wooden and forced at best, and her role in Hero seemed to be pointless. The movie would have been just as good without her in it. It seemed like her role was created for the sole purpose of adding her name to the cast list. These are all my opinions btw. I haven't seen HoFD yet, so I can't make a decision on that. However, all the movies she has starred in [with the exception of Rush Hour 2...kind of] she has been the Chinese "hot/beautiful" fighting girl. I'm not seeing a big range here...I don't think such a sudden change into the role of the geisha in Memoirs would produce a good result.

Also, in my eyes, as in beansprouts, we don't find her the demure, quite, mysterious woman as the geisha in Memoirs is portrayed in the book.

My opinions, no need for the "hater" comments.

Originally posted by chynagongju
    My opinions, no need for the "hater" comments.
    Fair enough. If you're not hating, then we can move beyond that...

Originally posted by chynagongju
    I just don't find Zhang Ziyi's acting skills very convincing.... all the movies she has starred in [with the exception of Rush Hour 2...kind of] she has been the Chinese "hot/beautiful" fighting girl. I'm not seeing a big range here.
    I think your opinion of her acting is limited by the fact that you've just not seen her in enough roles to form a more informed opinion on her acting range and ability - assuming you would even want to. If so, I think you'd more likely find that "demure, quite, mysterious" young woman she's portrayed in films like Starlight, The Road Home and Jasmine Women (with Joan Chen) than in Crouching Tiger or Hero. Basing her ability to act on one or two films alone limits how informed an opinion of her acting is.

Besides, someone obviously thinks she's got what it takes. And the role will be the most challenging she's had to date. Possibly, Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li, too. Her English is actually quite good and I understand that she does speak some Japanese. [She just finished shooting the Japanese film Operetta Tanuki Goten] If the film is to be in English, she'll likely have to learn to speak it with a Japanese accent. She (and Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li!) will have to be convincing as Japanese. Having seen more Zhang Ziyi films than most here, I think it's well within her ability (theirs too!) to pull it off.

Again, it's just unfortunate Japanese actresses weren't chosen for lead roles. Especially, Koyuki of The Last Samurai. I'm sure they must've considered her and then decided not to cast her for whatever reason. But criticizing Zhang Ziyi (and only Zhang Ziyi!) won't change the likely fact that Chinese actresses have gotten the roles.

You forgot you had made a "personal attack on Zhang Ziyi," right? Your own words are the reason why I addressed you appropriately as a "hater." So no, I didn't miss your point, and there's no need for your resentment.
    I said that Zhang Ziyi LOOKED more like a spoiled brat, not she IS a spoiled brat. Are you too dense to realize the difference?

And Southern Crane, dont you think you are being too defensive about Zhang Ziyi?

How well Zhang Ziyi can pull off Memoirs is left to be seen when the show actually comes out. And then maybe we can have another nasty name calling session here to sort out whether she was convincing as a geisha or not.

I would be quite interested to see who gets the male characters though. Almost all the male characters in the book are ugly looking and had some major flaw one way or another (Burns scar, no hand, extremely ugly blah blah blah). It would be way off the mark if they cast some famous chinese actor like Chow Yun Fatt or Jet Li.

The earlier part of the story depict Sayuri (the main character) as a child.... I wonder where are they going to find a miniature version of Zhang Ziyi. I always hated it when the child version of the character differs very much from the adult version.

Oh well, if they are going to cast a star studded main cast with the likes of Zhang, Gong and Yeoh, they probably wont have enough money left for casting famous people as supporting roles. I hope they dont shortchange us on the scenery and the costumes though.
    Last edited by beansprouts; 08-03-04 at 08:05 AM.