Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Huan Zhu Ge Ge III - The Plot

I admit that I might not have liked the HZGG 3 cast as much because I loved the old cast, especially AV. However, I feel that I still have a right to judge them based on the old cast, because they are making a sequel of HZGG. If they were making a completely new series, I wouldn't be biased towards them. Because they followed HZGG 1&2, I had my expectations. I know the new actors probably had a pretty hard time, but I can't help my disappointment.

As for actors not getting along on the set, I heard that Zhou Jie and Ruby got along pretty well. On Zhou Jie's websites, he wrote about how he and Ruby collaborated well. I don't know about Fan Bing Bing not liking Vicki, but I did hear once (not necessarily true, since things you hear in media are sometimes questionable) that FBB said if she played Xiao Yan Zi, she could do it better than Vicki. I always got the feeling that Zhou Jie was not as close to the other three main members of the cast, and as of today, he is the least famous. I'm not so sure about Vicki and Ruby being great friends - maybe they really are, but the competition between their fans makes it seem a little less possible.

Finally, the Mainland & Taiwanese thing - it's about the people. If you're really political, it might be a factor, but honestly, I don't think it matters that much.

I think the thing that makes HZ III get such violent reaction is not really what is in the series itself but its nature. HZGG is a very unique series in Qiong Yao's collection. Qiong Yao, from what I've seen, can write some very soapy-weepy work. HZGG I and II however is a fairy tale, never happen in real life kind of story. it's a romantic fantasy and the innocence is what appeals to people so much. however, HZIII completely loses that innocence and put in all the troubles of real life - jealousy, concubines, revenge, grudge, etc. I mean, the plot of HZ I and II are pretty fairy tale like - how often do you get a long lost princess forced to be a palace maid, a commoner claiming to be a princess? How often do princesses sneak concubines out of the palace? It's the "never going to happen in life" quality of HZI and II that differentiates it from HZ III. I think somewhat, people watch and love HZ to escape the monotony of historical drama revolving around jealousy and concubines in the chinese court. suddenly, there's this age old storyline (second wife, conflict there, grudges against the emperor) suddenly appearing in our fairy tale. people can't take to that easily. I see HZ III as taking HZGG from being a innocent fairy tale to making it into a weepy, soap opera like QSSYMM.

and I think the whole Musha Erkang story was weird. all it did was emphasise Erkang's attractiveness with women (I mean hes got an admire every season - Saiya, Qing Er, now Musha). I think all it did is drag out the series, give Xiao Yan Zi and Yong Qi a realistic reason to leave the palace and give Zhi Wei more to cry about.

And I think the whole Zhi Hua has Yong Qi's child story was not necessary either. It only ruins Yong Qi's prince charming image. Prince Charming cannot have a child with another woman other than his Princess!!!! People loved Yong Qi because of his Prince Charming quality. Yes, Zhi Hua's story shows that he is only a man, stuck between two women, but depending on who you are, you might hate that hurtful truth or you might think that it makes the story more realistic. I'd have prefered to keep my old fair-tale image of Yong Qi being the perfect prince, the perfect lover. but then Im a hopeless romantic so...

I hated the fact that they all left, however. I mean, honestly, you set up this really long drama, with all the tears, the jealousy, the complication with Zhi Hua, then they get up and leave??? What on earth was that??? They go through all this heartbreak and then decides to do something they decided against doing five years ago - leaving everything! I never supported the idea of Yong Qi leaving. Yes, he's in love with XYZ, but in leaving he would leave everything, his duty to his family, his duty to his country, every principle he'd been brought up with. How could he ever live with the guilt? I don't think he would ever be completely happy outside the palace, with that hanging over him. And I can't imagine XYZ being so selfish as letting him do this, all just for her. I see leaving as the easy way out, it's like suicide. They're running away from their responsibilities and I cant stand that. So I didn't particular like the ending of HZ III (didn't like most of the series, come to think of it but that's for a different reason).

Senior Member invisible_dolphinbay's Avatar

i really dislike er kang and XYZ. i disliked htem n HZGG I and II also, but HZGG III just totally highlighted their unlikable qualities> first lets say er kang:

HMMM. what can i say abotu this guy. HES TOOO IN LOVE!!! i'm sorry, i cant help but point this out. i've never felt this for a character before. his life is zi wei and he's willing to give up friendship, family, everything (including his child) just for zi wei. he didn't volunteer to stay and nurse his child until zi wei insisted that she was going to stay, he said that he would rather zi wei than his child. this guy just has problems. i also disliked how he's so hypocritical and acting in this 'supreme' fashion. like that time when YQ was married zhi hua. YQ confessed that he didn't actually do it with zhi hua and then er kang goes into the whole morality thing with him and says its not moral, not nice, etc etc. but when yong qi actually does do it with zhi hua, er kang sarcastically says to zi wei when she asks him "i don't have that type of ability as YQ" he's always the one that can "say" a lot, but does very little (unless its for zi wei or some love between others that doesn't affect him and zi wei)

now lets go to XYZ. i've alwasy thought this character was selfish. i don't wnat to go into details. in HZGG III, she was not only selfish, but increasingly stupid. it was extremely irritating for me to watch those scenes where she was easily provoked by zhi hua and loses her pridea and dignity (i knwo pride and diginity is too muc hto ask from her) but still, it annoyed me. and whats with all thecrying. i don't believe XYZ would have that much tears. and her "lines" made XYZ very very inconsistent with part one.
    dolphin_bay

lol. both er kang and zhi wei are too in love. I hated how zhi wei ignores her son when er kang died. she completely pushes him away. that bothered me big time. i mean, zhi wei is supposed to know what its like to lose a parent. she spent months trying to get to her father. and now her son just lost his father and all she does is push him away, saying he's not as good as er kang??

and yes, xiao yan zi annoyed me majorly in HZ III. she was a bit selfish in I and II, but for a girl like her, you have to cut her some slack. but i think she was lacking a bit of understanding for the situation yong qi was caught in. and yes, her lack of appreciation for yong qi's responsibilities is a bit annoying sometimes and it did peak in HZ III.

the thing about the contrast in the amount of crying between I, II and III is that Vicki Zhao canot cry that convincingly - watch QSSYMM, you'll see. then suddenly theres a new actress who can cry and does cry more. you get a feeling then that you're looking at 2 different charactrs.

Okay, I have to totally defend Xiao Yan Zi regarding HZGG I&II...personally, I thought in III, Huang Yi was better at martial arts, but she sucked at humour. I just think that to me, Xiao Yan Zi is less annoying than Zi Wei. Both of them have their faults, but it's like everyone acknowledges Xiao Yan Zi's but not Zi Wei's. Zi Wei would've died without Xiao Yan Zi to stand up for her. So Xiao Yan Zi can be extremely unreasonable at times, but her cuteness, wit, and innocent but definitely not ignorant attitude really appeals to me. I guess there are people who don't like Xiao Yan Zi, but I'm not one of them.

Er Kang - this guy scares me. Like the part in HZGG II, when Xiao Yan Zi lost Zi Wei, how mad he got...sure, that was stupid, but I swear if I ever met a guy like Er Kang, I'd run away. Fast.

Finally, I do disagree when you say Er Kang is the character that says a lot and does very little...I didn't like Er Kang, but Zi Wei clearly wins that title. She's always like, "Oh, it's okay, I'll give up my title to Xiao Yan Zi..." and then in HZGG II, she's all like, "Er Kang, leave me, go marry Qing Er!" You have to feel bad for Er Kang whenever she says that. Zi Wei's just craving for attention when she says stuff like that...it doesn't take a genius to see that Er Kang loves her more than he could ever love Qing Er. Finally, she gets mad over the stupidest things. Like just because Er Kang didn't tell her that he watched snow with Qing Er for one night. SERIOUSLY. BIG DEAL. It's not like they did it that night or something. And with all the sacrifices she acts like she wants to make, Zi Wei ends up with the best ending. Qing Er gives up Er Kang to her, instead of the other way around...and with the princess title, she did get it back, didn't she? Also hate how much Zi Wei obsesses over her son in HZGG III...like she almost didn't want to go on the Wei Fu Chu Xing with Huang A Ma!! It seems like every other line she says is Dong Er.

Also, I know a lot of people think she's strong for getting through all the torture the empress puts her through, and I get the fact that she always gets tortured because she's the weakest physically, but if Zi Wei just stood up for herself the Empress wouldn't pick on her as much! Like whenever Qianlong asks what happened to Zi Wei, she wouldn't tell him until Xiao Yan Zi did! Obviously someone who isn't going to retaliate is the best person to bully.

Vicki Zhao's crying...I think that she definitely could cry in both HZGG I/II and QSSYMM, but because of Xiao Yan Zi's character, her crying sounded much more obnoxious and whiny. Like Yiping, she's got so much more wei chu inside her. It's absolutely heartbreaking sometimes, like the scene where she tells her father she hates her. But, I digress.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

I think Er Kang's reaction was perfectly fine; Xiao Yan Zi was a COMPLETE IDIOT after ignoring her BLIND friend to watch some stupid game (or whatever it was). If I was Zi Wei's boyfriend, I would be pissed off as hell as well. Who cares if she didn't mean it? So if you accidently run over someone just because you're careless, but didn't mean it, does that make you that much better of a person? The point is that Zi Wei ended up in a brothel and could've screwed up her entire life for good--except she got lucky. What if she didn't?

Sure, Xiao Yan ZI has her good points, but mainly in the very beginning. As a character, she just got more and more annoying and unbelivable as the show proceeded, to the point where she just reminded me of a spoiled, whiny, brat who escaped from the insane asylum.

I agree. Er KAng's reaction to Zhi Wei's disappearance was expected. Even if it does show the dangerous side to him

I think all three - EK, ZW and XYZ - all their characters were overly exaggerated. XYZ could be foolish to the extreme. Seriously, don't you think she might have *some* moments of sense sometimes? And ZW is passive to the extreme as well, sometimes it's like she's waiting for everything in life to come to her. And Er KAng can be...dangerous...and irrational, despite this image of him being the "sensible" one. Er Kang is supposed to be the perfect guy, you know. But his perfection is so emphasised that he becomes unrealistic. So I don't like Er Kang that much either.

I think of the four, Yong Qi is the most balanced. He is not totally obssessed over XYZ, he knows he still has his duties, despite his choosing his heart in the end. He's got obvious flaws as well as virtues, unlike Er Kang who is supposed to be perfect but can display very imperfect moments. Yong Qi is probably too proud for his own good but he's been brought up that way and does have a lot to be proud about. (Pride is a deadly sin you know ) But his moments of coldness to XYZ in HZIII annoyed me. They all annoyed me at some point in HZIII, whereas I was more occupied with enjoying the series I and II to criticise the characters. So it is the plot that makes you more aware of the characters' faults, or the actors' inability to keep me focussed on the story that make me want to strangle the four of them all at some point in watching the series?

Anyway, you know what REALLY REALLY annoyed me in HZIII? Qian Long!!! When Zhi Hua was made hte first wife, the outright blamed XYZ for not having a baby yet. He is supposed to be a loving father! He should at least had the tact to cut XYZ some slack for being upset in that situation, not rub it in her face!!!

okay, speaking of er kang, i just remembered this hilarious scene. i don't know if anyone else would think that it's hilarous, but it was to me.

it was the scene when xiao jian left everyone in part II afther having a fight with yong qi. he was about to leave everyone and er kang went to get him back. while asking him to go back, er kang was like "i've sworn to myself that i wouldn't let zi wei leave my eyesight. so, i'm "xing ji ru feng" (about to die of worry) now. so if you're a man (nan zi han), go back with me" hahahaha. okay, you might think i'm crazy for laughing at this but it is funny. there is SUCH a big fight goign on between his two friends. the group is about to collapse, and yet he still relates the issue somehow to him and zi wei. (can't stand him) and the fact that he's speakign about beign a man (nan zi han) but at the same time saying that he's worried to death because zi wei has left his eyeglance,is just hilarous. and the fact taht xiao jian immediatley said "lets go" in such a noble type of fashion after hearing er kang say that was even more hilarous. its as if, they're going back on a grand mission to put zi wei back into er kang's glance
    Last edited by invisible_dolphinbay; 09-17-06 at 11:22 AM.
    dolphin_bay

now that you've put it in that situation...yes the scene does sound ridiculous...lol

Quote Originally Posted by invisible_dolphinbay
    i don't know if anyone else would think that it's hilarous, but it was to me. ..........er kang was like "i've sworn to myself that i wouldn't let zi wei leave my eyesight. so, i'm "xing ji ru feng" (about to die of worry) now. so if you're a man (nan zi han), go back with me" hahahaha.
    I have a very different tack on this scene for I thought Erkang comes across as a clever mediator . Craftily, he presses the right buttons on Xiao Jian's conscience and his sense of responsibility to get him back into the fold.

Many times, words are deliberately taken out of context intentionally or otherwise to support a point of view; therefore, skewing the words’ intent. If this statement, “ i'm "xing ji ru feng" (about to die of worry) now. so if you're a man (nan zi han), go back with me “ is read just by itself, then, maybe it does connote an impression of a self-centered Erkang.

However, let's put that statement back into its right context.

The scene summary:
    Erkang runs after Xiao Jian. Xiao Jian is seen playing the flute nonchalantly. Xiao Jian puts down his flute and sighs upon seeing Erkang’s approach. His immediate rebuke to Erkang for leaving the others belies his seemingly insouciance.

Xiao Jian: “ Why did you come after me? That carriage over there is loaded with the youngs and the olds, who have little self-defence. With you here, what if something happened to them? Who will protect them? Also, Zi Wei’s eyes just got better. And now there’s Xiao Ge Zi, to boot. Go back!”

(Note1: Erkang is not the one to bring up the concern over Zi Wei; Xiao Jian did.
    Note2: Who will protect them? Certainly not Yong Qi who is so out of his element. A sense of urgency here.)

Erkang comments on the fact that Xiao Jian’s actions may be insouciant but his feelings are certainly not. That there’s no way he (Xiao Jian) could just turn his back on his friends. These are well-placed jabs on Xiao Jian’s conscience. Erkang is going to play Xiao Jian’s conscience against his pride. “Well, well, looks like your feelings are not as insouciant as your actions. Eh?”

This jab gives Xiao Jian an opening to voice his grievances, which he did. Erkang blithely brushes aside Xiao Jian's complaint of Yong Qi’s rudeness and jealousy as a temporary illness. “Well, he’s like a porcupine when it comes to XYZ. His ‘sickness” is here today but gone tomorrow. Pay no attention to him.”

Erkang then probes Xiao Jian’s feelings for Xiao Yan Zi. Xiao Jian’s honest response convinced Erkang of his sincerity and trustworthiness. Any lingering doubts that Erkang might have had about Xiao Jian’s ulterior motives are obliterated. Erkang’s main objective, now as was then, is to get Xiao Jian back. His leadership and friendship means too much to the group. Erkang picks his words very carefully and shrewdly; using persuasive words and scenarios so as to prick XJ’s conscience and sense of responsibility.

Erkang: “Xiao Jian, come back! If you abandoned us, Xian Yan Zi will be so upset that she will break up with Yong Qi. Then your sin would be enormous. Moreover, we truly can’t do without you. You’ re our pillar of support.”

Then Erkang, forgoing ‘face’ and showing his sincerity, bows down to Xiao Jian and begs him not to leave. Although Xiao Jian is much placated, he still hesitates. His fury still controls his emotion, overriding such feelings of friendship and responsibility. But Erkang senses Xiao Jian's softening. Again, picking his words with care, Erkang echoes Xiao Jian’s first rebuke. He craftily throws Xiao Jian's words and anxiety back at him.

Erkang echoes: “Please, Xiao Da Xia, that carriage over there, loaded with the youngs and the olds, who have little self-defence..…as for me, I've promised that I will never let Ziwei out of my sight again. Right now, I’m filled with anxiety, worrying that something might happen to them. If you are a man, stop grappling, and swallows those aggravations. “

Their anxieties are one and the same, as are their goals, which is to get the group safely to Dali. Erkang brings up his promise to Ziwei to emphasize the urgency of the situation, not as a self-absorption over Ziwei. By stating his own anxiety, Erkang is subtlely reminding Xiao Jian of recent disastrous events, and the urgency of their situation. And that no matter how you cut it, Xiao Jian is the only one who could get the group to Dali safely. Remember, they have a dream. Xiao Jian, as a leader, cannot afford to throw a tantrum, which he is doing right now, despite good reasons. But a true man puts aside trivial aggravations and personal differences, and sees the big picture. And Xiao Jian is not only a true man, but also a Da Xia. His sense of responsiblity finally doused his fury for he has a dream .........in Dali.
    Last edited by grace; 09-18-06 at 01:29 PM.

Now I didn't think that much about it...and I wouldn't say Er Kang is much of a mediator! How many times was he all rash about his decisions...like after Zi Wei first met Huang Hou, he was like, "We're LEAVING!" and does that basically every time Zi Wei gets hurt (which is too many to count, because, of course, it's Zi Wei).

Okay, I admit that Xiao Yan Zi is ridiculous in some scenes. Like when Yong Qi tries to explain to her why they can't keep Xiao Ge Zi in HZGG II, she throws a tantrum. But I really think that it's because Qiong Yao herself got a little unreasonable with the character in HZGG II. But in HZGG I, she's my fave character...of course Vicki might've had something to do with it, but I love her street smarts, her carefree, rebellious attitude...

*sigh* Yong Qi's the awesomest But his marrying Zhi Hua totally ruined my image of him!!!

I hated Qianlong from HZGG III. Period. No fatherly love at all. And the actor was horrible and soooo stiff! I wanted to scream BRING BACK ZHANG TIE LIN.

I know I've done a lot of complaining already, but am I the only one who is really ticked off at Jin Suo? Like, she's loyal to Zi Wei, that's great, but she's just sooo annoying somehow.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Jin Suo is just a really useless character. Sure, she's the sworn "sister" of Zi wei and Xiao Yan Zi, but most of the time, she's kind of just there, all timid and small.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I wouldn't say Er Kang is much of a mediator! How many times was he all rash about his decisions...like after Zi Wei first met Huang Hou, he was like, "We're LEAVING!" and does that basically every time Zi Wei gets hurt (which is too many to count, because, of course, it's Zi Wei).
    What I said was that Erkang comes across as a clever mediator in that particular scene when he persuades Xiao Jian to stay. That's all

Vicky was the perfect Xiao Yan Zi. From her responses in her TV interviews, Vicky comes across as an intelligent and articulate lady, very quick on her feet.

She was such a fitting Xiao Yan Zi that I find it incredibly hard to see her in any other role. I've watched Shaolin Soccer and Moment in Peking, and cringe everytime I see her in the respective roles. Mind you, I really find Xiao Yan Zi irritating and selfish, but I don't think that's really Vicki's fault, more so Qiong Yao's--she was just doing what the script asked of her. She says she's matured a lot, etc. but I've seen some of her recent interviews, and she still reminds me of Xiao Yan Zi in the way she speaks, etc. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I've watched Shaolin Soccer and Moment in Peking, and cringe everytime I see her in the respective roles. ..and she still reminds me of Xiao Yan Zi in the way she speaks, etc. lol.
    I've watched those two shows too, plus Treasure Venture with Nicky Wu & Romance in the Rain; all very disappointing. But Vicki will always retain a soft spot in my heart. Who knows, one day she might yet surprise us with a best director award. Wish her the very best.
    Last edited by grace; 09-18-06 at 08:39 PM.

vicki's most known role is as xyz, so it would occur naturally to compare her other roles to xyz. i thought she did really well in qssymm & mip, but sometimes her voice just has to remind myself of xyz. xyz is toooo memorable of a character!! and Vicki's trying to shed that off as best as she can.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I have a very different tack on this scene for I thought Erkang comes across as a clever mediator . Craftily, he presses the right buttons on Xiao Jian's conscience and his sense of responsibility to get him back into the fold.

Many times, words are deliberately taken out of context intentionally or otherwise to support a point of view; therefore, skewing the words’ intent. If this statement, “ i'm "xing ji ru feng" (about to die of worry) now. so if you're a man (nan zi han), go back with me “ is read just by itself, then, maybe it does connote an impression of a self-centered Erkang.

However, let's put that statement back into its right context.

The scene summary:
    Erkang runs after Xiao Jian. Xiao Jian is seen playing the flute nonchalantly. Xiao Jian puts down his flute and sighs upon seeing Erkang’s approach. His immediate rebuke to Erkang for leaving the others belies his seemingly insouciance.

Xiao Jian: “ Why did you come after me? That carriage over there is loaded with the youngs and the olds, who have little self-defence. With you here, what if something happened to them? Who will protect them? Also, Zi Wei’s eyes just got better. And now there’s Xiao Ge Zi, to boot. Go back!”

(Note1: Erkang is not the one to bring up the concern over Zi Wei; Xiao Jian did.
    Note2: Who will protect them? Certainly not Yong Qi who is so out of his element. A sense of urgency here.)

Erkang comments on the fact that Xiao Jian’s actions may be insouciant but his feelings are certainly not. That there’s no way he (Xiao Jian) could just turn his back on his friends. These are well-placed jabs on Xiao Jian’s conscience. Erkang is going to play Xiao Jian’s conscience against his pride. “Well, well, looks like your feelings are not as insouciant as your actions. Eh?”

This jab gives Xiao Jian an opening to voice his grievances, which he did. Erkang blithely brushes aside Xiao Jian's complaint of Yong Qi’s rudeness and jealousy as a temporary illness. “Well, he’s like a porcupine when it comes to XYZ. His ‘sickness” is here today but gone tomorrow. Pay no attention to him.”

Erkang then probes Xiao Jian’s feelings for Xiao Yan Zi. Xiao Jian’s honest response convinced Erkang of his sincerity and trustworthiness. Any lingering doubts that Erkang might have had about Xiao Jian’s ulterior motives are obliterated. Erkang’s main objective, now as was then, is to get Xiao Jian back. His leadership and friendship means too much to the group. Erkang picks his words very carefully and shrewdly; using persuasive words and scenarios so as to prick XJ’s conscience and sense of responsibility.

Erkang: “Xiao Jian, come back! If you abandoned us, Xian Yan Zi will be so upset that she will break up with Yong Qi. Then your sin would be enormous. Moreover, we truly can’t do without you. You’ re our pillar of support.”

Then Erkang, forgoing ‘face’ and showing his sincerity, bows down to Xiao Jian and begs him not to leave. Although Xiao Jian is much placated, he still hesitates. His fury still controls his emotion, overriding such feelings of friendship and responsibility. But Erkang senses Xiao Jian's softening. Again, picking his words with care, Erkang echoes Xiao Jian’s first rebuke. He craftily throws Xiao Jian's words and anxiety back at him.

Erkang echoes: “Please, Xiao Da Xia, that carriage over there, loaded with the youngs and the olds, who have little self-defence..…as for me, I've promised that I will never let Ziwei out of my sight again. Right now, I’m filled with anxiety, worrying that something might happen to them. If you are a man, stop grappling, and swallows those aggravations. “

Their anxieties are one and the same, as are their goals, which is to get the group safely to Dali. Erkang brings up his promise to Ziwei to emphasize the urgency of the situation, not as a self-absorption over Ziwei. By stating his own anxiety, Erkang is subtlely reminding Xiao Jian of recent disastrous events, and the urgency of their situation. And that no matter how you cut it, Xiao Jian is the only one who could get the group to Dali safely. Remember, they have a dream. Xiao Jian, as a leader, cannot afford to throw a tantrum, which he is doing right now, despite good reasons. But a true man puts aside trivial aggravations and personal differences, and sees the big picture. And Xiao Jian is not only a true man, but also a Da Xia. His sense of responsiblity finally doused his fury for he has a dream .........in Dali.
    a defender of er kang (sigh). i just dislike his character. this scene is maybe a little too subtle to describe his despicableness and mushiness (or at least in my heart) but here are quite a few others

1. as someone mentioned, all the times where zi wei gets hurt and little and he's like "we're leaving"
    2. when qiang long found out that XYZ wasnt' teh reall gege and was about to punish them all. everyone taht tries to rebut qiang long say something productive for the whole group. for example, yong qi said "even though they lied to you, they didnt' have bad intentions. they only want to be your daughter" and other poeple said stuff along the lines that tried to help everyone. But then comes our Mr. Er kang who decides to say and ONLY say (note: i am not taking this out of context this time. this is literally all he said in that speech "Huang shang. when we found out that zi wei was the real gege, we could have killed zi wei, but we didnt' do that. we could have taken her to a faraway place (tian bian) adn let her never see huang shang, but we didnt' do that either. its because zi wei's love for you was so deeply touching" Okay, even as a 7 year old first seeing this i was like "huh?" "how does this help anyone but zi wei?" while everyone else is trying to save the group, he only thinks of zi wei. (sigh) what can i say about this guy?
    dolphin_bay

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Okay, I admit that Xiao Yan Zi is ridiculous in some scenes. Like when Yong Qi tries to explain to her why they can't keep Xiao Ge Zi in HZGG II, she throws a tantrum. But I really think that it's because Qiong Yao herself got a little unreasonable with the character in HZGG II. But in HZGG I, she's my fave character...of course Vicki might've had something to do with it, but I love her street smarts, her carefree, rebellious attitude...

*sigh* Yong Qi's the awesomest But his marrying Zhi Hua totally ruined my image of him!!!

I hated Qianlong from HZGG III. Period. No fatherly love at all. And the actor was horrible and soooo stiff! I wanted to scream BRING BACK ZHANG TIE LIN.

I know I've done a lot of complaining already, but am I the only one who is really ticked off at Jin Suo? Like, she's loyal to Zi Wei, that's great, but she's just sooo annoying somehow.
    Yes...I think XYZ's cahracter gets worst in each season. I mean, she was cute and adorable in HZI. She annoyed me a bit in HZII with her ridiculous lack of understand for Yong Qi and she didn't really seem to appreciate how he was sacrificing a lot for her in leaving. She annoyed me even more in HZIII. I mean, yes, XYZ is uneducated, and a bit crude and rash, but she's still got a lot of wit. but it's like her life gets totally out of her control the moment Zhi Hua walks on in HZIII. I think XYZ's jealousy in HZIII was totally overemphasised. yes, I expected jealousy, but not to the point where she totally tells Yong Qi that she doesnt love him anymore.

As for Yong Qi...yes. Did Qiong Yao not realise how crushing it would be for fans to see their idol giving into Zhi Hua like that???? I've said it before: Prince Charming cannot have a child with someone other than his princess!!!!

Not to get into Leo's acting and all...but where's the resistance from Yong Qi when Zhi Hua pulls him into bed when XYZ made him go to Zhi Hua's room. I remember it as a grimace as he stood outside the door, then he comes in. His face was a bit blank as she took his shirt off. I was like Huh??? Even if XYZ made him come here and do this...but where's his conscience? his heart? even if his mind told him he must do this...surely his heart cannot just let him sit there and give into Zhi Hua's advances like that...

Anyway, what I found really unrealistic is that Er Tai totally disappeared and didn't come home for Er Kang's funeral!! His brother is DEAD! Where is he? Who's supposed to take care of his parents?

Also the lack of Liu Qing Liu Hong and Jin Sou was unrealistic. seriously all through the first two series, every swears again and again how they'd be together through everything, sharing happiness and pain....and then, boom, they disappeare?

As for Jin Sou...she's there to provide Zhi Wei companionship when XYZ is not there. she emphasises Er Kang's "perfection" and attractiveness as she falls for him (haha). I admit, she doesn't really do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible_dolphinbay
    a defender of er kang (sigh). i just dislike his character. this scene is maybe a little too subtle to describe his despicableness and mushiness (or at least in my heart) but here are quite a few others

Sigh likewise, a hater of Erkang, a fervent one at that. After all these years, this Erkang character sure can still evoke strong emotions in the viewers, just like Xiao Yan Zi; one either loves him or loathes him, no in between. Mushiness? no arguments here, but your use of “despicableness” on Erkang indisputably blasted our opinions off to the very opposite far ends of the hate him or love him spectrum. We just have to agree to disagree.

It’s has been so long since I last watched the Hzgg saga, but now I’m more than happy to re-watch, and re-read, and re-discuss this series again. A little self- amusement I will allow myself at this point in time.

Opinions without concrete reasoning I will bypass, like Erkang is sooo irritating because he’s always hovering protectively over Ziwei and spouting those mushy lines. Opinions are just feelings, sometimes those feelings are so nebulous that the writers can’t even put into cohesive words as to why they feel that way. So live and let live.

But opinions with concrete ‘evidence’ I can rebut, and will in this case. So now lets debate Erkang’s despicableness in this one scene. Sure took me a while to find that scene in the book. In case you’re interested, here’s an online book for your future reference as to why you hate Erkang so, besides his despicableness and mushiness, of course.

http://www.shuku.net/novels/qiongyao/hzgg/hzgg24.html (actual scene in book)
    http://www.shuku.net/novels/qiongyao/qiongyao.html (qiong yao’s book catalog)

I beg to defer, again I think you took Erkang’s words out of context.
    Scene review:
    The scene starts with XYZ tearfully recounting how she became gege. The players in the room are the Emperor, the Empress, Ling Fei, the whole Fu family, Yong Qi, Ziwei, Jin Suo and of course, XYZ. The air is filled with tension and fear. And the two geges’ and Jin Suo’s lives hang in balance at the Emperor’s whim. The Fu family’s and Ling Fei’s lives will have dire repercussions too.

The Empress is the only who is shamelessly enjoying every minute of this situation. Whenever she could, she would pour oil to stir up the fire and the suspicion in the Emperor’s heart. She accuses the girls of conspiring against the Emperor and demands to know why.

Both XYZ and Ziwei tried to get the Emperor to understand their predicament. The Emperor is fuming with so much hurt and anger at what he deems as the girls’ betrayal, that he couldn’t think straight, let alone be receptive.

Yong Qi cries::
    Huang Ah ma, listen to me. There’s no conspiring hearts among us. Although, we've deceived Huang Ah ma, all we ever wanted is to make HAM happy. XYZ and Ziwei had never harm HAM. They had tried so hard to make HAM happy.

HAM abruptly turns to Fulun and bellows:
    Fulun, Your whole family knew of this secret, why didn’t you speak up?
    Fulun: Huang Shang, my hands are tied; there're too many concerns.

Fu Jin seeing the tide turns against them, speaks out:

Huang Shang, please listen to what I have to say. When we found out Ziwei’s real identity, we were skeptical, too. We could only take her into our residence, and meanwhile investigate her claim. We didn’t know what else to do. We could only ascertain her claim when XYZ escaped from the palace one day and they met. After that, we overcame obstacles to finally get Ziwei into court. The two young ladies since then have kept Huang Shang company. Your majesty didn’t suffer any loss. Even though it is deceiving your majesty, it did come out of love for your majesty.

Erkang continues in the same vein as Fu Jin's pleas as to why the Fus have kept their silence.

Erkang's words:
    Huang Shang, please think this through carefully. At that time, when we first saw Ziwei, and knew of the geges mistaken identities. We could have had Ziwei killed and let this secret be buried forever. We didn’t do that. We could have had sent Ziwei to a faraway place, never to contact the Emperor. We didn’t do that, either. Instead, we let Ziwei stayed, subsequently sending her to court. Yes, uncontrollable circumstances tied our hands, but what is most decisive, (for their final decision) is Ziwei’s strong love for Huang Shang, which is truly irresistible. ……”

Erkang could have said more, perhaps even include something 'productive' on XYZ so as to keep the viewers happy, but, unfortunately, the Empress chooses this time to forcefully cut him off. He was dangerously heading toward the common thread of all the others' pleas, which is, that this charade came about because of a daughter’s need and love to reconcile with her father. The fact that Erkang chose to answer the Emperor's question first seems apprioriate to me.

So, I don’t find Erkang’s plea despicable at all. As I see it, he is, in fact, continuing his mother’s exposition on why the Fu family kept mum. (After all, the Emperor did pose this question to Fu Lun. ) Fu Lun, for whatever reason, couldn’t speak up, so his wife and son speak on his behalf to try to make the Emperor see their situations. All Erkang did was to expound the circumstances faced them at that time, and the solutions and way outs they could have had taken. That the one and only reason for this charade is the strong love of a daughter for a father, a love so strong that she is willing to face death to achieve it. That’s how I see Erkang’s plea. Don't understanding why Erkang's response seems despicable to you. Guess, we just have to agree to disagree on Erkang.

P/S Btw, try not to get stuck in a 7-year-old mentality.

Hey hey we all can have our own opinions...

Well, this guy. Er Kang. I guess he's not my least favourite character, but he's not my fave either. Maybe Zhou Jie contributed a little to that factor. But anyway, I agree he's got some definite leadership qualities, but that he might not do as much as he 'says'. Also, I agree that he can be a bit selfish when it comes to Zi Wei. Like when Qian Long found out about Xiang Fei and was going to imprison all five of them (XYZ, ZW, YQ, EK, JS) then Er Kang wanted to save Zi Wei and pleaded to Lao Fo Ye that Zi Wei was of Long Jia Xie Mai. Yeah, Er Kang does think more of Zi Wei than the others...

BUT, I guess when you have a couple as in love as Er Kang and Zi Wei, it's just bound to happen. Like I guess you can't blame Er Kang for caring more about Zi Wei than like, Xiao Yan Zi. So I think his actions are understandable. However, I overall still like Yong Qi more as a character, because it's just amazing how Yong Qi manages to change/adapt for Xiao Yan Zi...their love is really sweet. And Yong Qi totally did not seem like the type that would go for Zhi Hua...

I forget, what ended up persuading Yong Qi to marry Zhi Hua? Regardless, no one ever forced him to have a baby with her!

Now, just a question...who do you think has it better/worse? Yong Qi or Er Kang?